3DCoat Forums

Vox Layer brings machine to sudden halt?

Flippers

i've tried the vox layer MULTIPLE times and every single time, no matter what once i click apply it brings my machine to a total stop. 

the vox layer i'm working on has about 100,000 polys, nothing insane at all. one time i DID get the vox layer to work and the small object i was extruding ended up being like 17 million polygons?

it also does the same thing when i'm on the macbook. same total stop. on the pc i can at least eventually get into task manager, on macbook it freezes the entire machine, turns it into a brick. 

i would LOVE to use this tool. its like zbrush extract from what i can tell, but i can never use it. i hope i'm just doing something wrong? wth?

17 million polygons? that's bananas. 

• Reputable Contributor

i've tried the vox layer MULTIPLE times and every single time, no matter what once i click apply it brings my machine to a total stop. 

the vox layer i'm working on has about 100,000 polys, nothing insane at all. one time i DID get the vox layer to work and the small object i was extruding ended up being like 17 million polygons?

it also does the same thing when i'm on the macbook. same total stop. on the pc i can at least eventually get into task manager, on macbook it freezes the entire machine, turns it into a brick. 

i would LOVE to use this tool. its like zbrush extract from what i can tell, but i can never use it. i hope i'm just doing something wrong? wth?

17 million polygons? that's bananas. 

You should change the option from Voxelize to Surface mode. Hard to tell what the issue is without being able to watch a screen capture, but it doesn't sound right that the model it generated it from was only 100k while a much smaller part of that becomes 17mill.

• Reputable Contributor

Starting at about the 3:00 min mark in the video, you can see how to switch from "Auto-Voxelize" to "Create as Surface (Mode object)." That might help. Sometimes, I try a little bit of "Cleanup" before I do operations like this, or if it gets a little fussy with me. You can RMB click the layer > Fill Voids > RMB click > To Global Space. Then try it again.

If that doesn't do the trick, try closing the app > go to MyDocs/3D Coat V4 > delete the OPTIONS.XML file. Sometimes it can get a little buggered up and cause strange, bug-like behavior. When that doesn't work, I then just upload the problem file (you might want to lighten the file size by RMB clicking the problem layer/object and choose "Save as .3b file"...and uploading that file) to Pilgway's server, directly from the HELP menu ("Send large file to Support"). Then e-mail Andrew, letting him know about the problem.

It would help immensely if you could also screen record the process, using JING or something like it (free screen recorder), and perhaps upload it free to GoogleDrive...it uses the same player as Youtube and can be watched directly in an e-mail you might send to support. You could upload it to Youtube as well, but it would be best to change it from public mode to private or unlisted, so everybody on the internet  isn't going to see it. Only those with the link you provide.

Oh, here is the VoxLayer video: