3DCoat Forums

tileable sculpting "other than bricks" in 3dcoat

worldcrafter

• Advanced Member

Anyone ever managed to do tiled sculpting without seams in 3d coat?

The second post of THIS thread sows how he does it in zbrush.

If you 3d coat experts out there know this isn't possible yet, perhaps you can suggest software (that isn't zbrush) to do this?

thanks

Edited by worldcrafter
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

no it doesn't help, i know about the tiled box feature, but it doesnt work for sculpting (read this thread carefully please), only placing premade objects (bricks and stones)

this is partly because i cant sculpt on all the tiles, only one at a time meaning i cant sculpt to the edges of the tiles.

if you have used the mudbox tiling feature, you can see how easy it is to sculpt a seamless/tileable texture when you can edit all the tiles/instances at the same time as one.

Edited by worldcrafter
  • Like 1

• 9 years later...
  • Advanced Member

Bump, 10 years later. I was looking forward to sculpt tiling textures in 3d coat, ever since I caught a glimpse on the "Tile box 3x3" option in the Surface Sculpt Welcome screen. I was under the impression that it will just work as it says. Unfortunately it is not.

You can not paint across instances, which is a huge oversight imo. In addition, the template setup has the tiles overlapping, causing seams between them when you stencil project something. It is really just an instance tiling rather than the true Tiles Painting you get when choosing the Per Pixel Painting Tiling 3x3 template from the welcome screen, which is how it is supposed/someone would expect it to work. (I do a lot of hand painting color only tiling textures in Krita, and it caught me by surprise what 3D Coat doesn't allow seamless tiling sculpting, even tho the template says so).

A system like in Krita (Wrap Around Mode) or what Blender offers, would be needed for this to be a usable system actually for anything else that isn't a surface that consist of several individual elements like Bricks or Wooden planks.

Edited by Henry Townshend
clarify