3DCoat Forums

How can I make a Flower?

HonestAustin

Go to solution Solved by TimmyZDesign,

• Contributor
  • Solution

Hello again Austin,

Here is the tutorial you requested (for creating a flower to put on your engagement ring):

Step 1: Go to Voxel Sculpting Room

FlowerTutorial_01.JPG

Step 2: Select Primitives Tool

FlowerTutorial_02.JPG

Step 3: Select the Free Cylinder and Choose 2 x 4 control points.

FlowerTutorial_03.JPG

Step 4: Choose the rectangular stroke mode from the E Panel (Stroke Mode Panel).

FlowerTutorial_04.jpg

Step 5: Use the rectangle to select control points on the cylinder, then a transform gizmo will appear and you can use the gizmo's central cube to scale the points outwards or inwards.

In the image below you can see that only 8 of the possible 16 points have been selected with the rectangle selection mode. They turn yellow when they are selected.

FlowerTutorial_05.JPG

Step 6: Create the following shape by scaling points outwards or inwards and by moving points up or down.

The front view of the shape is the first image, and the side view is the second image.

FlowerTutorial_07.JPG

FlowerTutorial_06.JPG

Step 7: Hit enter on your keyboard to create the object. Then go to the VoxTree and increase the resolution of the newly created object.

The Voxlayer will show [2x] on it, which means that it is twice its original density.

FlowerTutorial_08.JPG

Step 8: Now select the VoxLayer Tool.

FlowerTutorial_09.JPG

Step 9: Select the spline stroke mode from the E panel (Stroke Mode Panel).

FlowerTutorial_10.jpg

Step 10: Also turn on Symmetry across the X axis.

FlowerTutorial_11.jpg

Step 11: The yellow line represents the symmetry plane. Start clicking and placing points on your object.

First roughly create the spline shape that you see in the image below, and then hover over the little floating box to switch into Edit Points mode.

FlowerTutorial_12.JPG

Step 12: In Edit Points Mode you can move the points around to get them to the exact locations that you want.

FlowerTutorial_13.jpg

Step 13: To make points "sharp" right-click on them twice.

FlowerTutorial_14.jpg

Step 14: Finally click on the Apply button in the pop-up, and you will see that the spline is filled in with a gray color. It will be symmetrically created across the X axis.

FlowerTutorial_15.jpg

FlowerTutorial_18.JPG

Step 15: Now change the "Layer offset" and "Thickness" values in the Tool Options panel, and finally click on "Apply".

FlowerTutorial_19.JPG

Step 16: A new voxel layer will be created in the VoxTree and the new object will be added to it. Now delete the old voxel layer that was only used to create the new shape.

FlowerTutorial_20.JPG

FlowerTutorial_21.JPG

Step 17: Now click on the Axial Tool.

FlowerTutorial_22.JPG

Step 18: In the Tool Options panel, choose "5" for the "Axial symmetry order".

FlowerTutorial_28.JPG

Step 19: In the viewport you will see that four additional instances of your original object have appeared. Grab the gizmo at the bottom and move it so that all these instances connect.

These are the "petals" of the flower.

FlowerTutorial_23.JPG
FlowerTutorial_25.JPG

Step 20: Now click on Apply.

FlowerTutorial_24.JPG

Step 21: Done!

FlowerTutorial_27.JPG

• Like 4

Hello again Austin,

Here is the tutorial you requested (for creating a flower to put on your engagement ring):

Step 1: Go to Voxel Sculpting Room

FlowerTutorial_01.JPG

Step 2: Select Primitives Tool

FlowerTutorial_02.JPG

Step 3: Select the Free Cylinder and Choose 2 x 4 control points.

FlowerTutorial_03.JPG

Step 4: Choose the rectangular stroke mode from the E Panel (Stroke Mode Panel).

FlowerTutorial_04.jpg

Step 5: Use the rectangle to select control points on the cylinder, then a transform gizmo will appear and you can use the gizmo's central cube to scale the points outwards or inwards.

In the image below you can see that only 8 of the possible 16 points have been selected with the rectangle selection mode. They turn yellow when they are selected.

FlowerTutorial_05.JPG

Step 6: Create the following shape by scaling points outwards or inwards and by moving points up or down.

The front view of the shape is the first image, and the side view is the second image.

FlowerTutorial_07.JPG

FlowerTutorial_06.JPG

Step 7: Hit enter on your keyboard to create the object. Then go to the VoxTree and increase the resolution of the newly created object.

The Voxlayer will show [2x] on it, which means that it is twice its original density.

FlowerTutorial_08.JPG

Step 8: Now select the VoxLayer Tool.

FlowerTutorial_09.JPG

Step 9: Select the spline stroke mode from the E panel (Stroke Mode Panel).

FlowerTutorial_10.jpg

Step 10: Also turn on Symmetry across the X axis.

FlowerTutorial_11.jpg

Step 11: The yellow line represents the symmetry plane. Start clicking and placing points on your object.

First roughly create the spline shape that you see in the image below, and then hover over the little floating box to switch into Edit Points mode.

FlowerTutorial_12.JPG

Step 12: In Edit Points Mode you can move the points around to get them to the exact locations that you want.

FlowerTutorial_13.jpg

Step 13: To make points "sharp" right-click on them twice.

FlowerTutorial_14.jpg

Step 14: Finally click on the Apply button in the pop-up, and you will see that the spline is filled in with a gray color. It will be symmetrically created across the X axis.

FlowerTutorial_15.jpg

FlowerTutorial_18.JPG

Step 15: Now change the "Layer offset" and "Thickness" values in the Tool Options panel, and finally click on "Apply".

FlowerTutorial_19.JPG

Step 16: A new voxel layer will be created in the VoxTree and the new object will be added to it. Now delete the old voxel layer that was only used to create the new shape.

FlowerTutorial_20.JPG

FlowerTutorial_21.JPG

Step 17: Now click on the Axial Tool.

FlowerTutorial_22.JPG

Step 18: In the Tool Options panel, choose "5" for the "Axial symmetry order".

FlowerTutorial_28.JPG

Step 19: In the viewport you will see that four additional instances of your original object have appeared. Grab the gizmo at the bottom and move it so that all these instances connect.

These are the "petals" of the flower.

FlowerTutorial_23.JPG

FlowerTutorial_25.JPG

Step 20: Now click on Apply.

FlowerTutorial_24.JPG

Step 21: Done!

FlowerTutorial_27.JPG

Hi Timmy,

Wow! Thank you for the Awesome tutorial! I followed it perfectly but I am encountering one issue. when I make the petal it creates one on the other side too instead of just one petal on the one side. so, when I go to use the axial tool there is so many petals they are all bunched together. even when I use only 5. Because, I think it's detecting the 2nd petal that was created with semetry as another object/instance and thus making 5 turn to 10 lol although I created a very nice pattern! :D But, is there a way I can separate the petals making them farther or closer away from eachother because they are all bunched up right now :(

Update: I managed to just use the cutoff tool to get rid of the 2nd object/instance. and now it just 5 Axial petals. However they are still extremely close and bunched up that they are clipping eachother. and, I would of got a screenshot but it crashed due to a instability error when I clicked take screenshot in program o_O

EDIT 2: what would be the best way to make "hooks" inside of petals for the Heart shaped stone? just asking in your case if you wanted to put a Heart shaped stone in the center what design maybe I should incorporate.

EDIT3: Timmy, You saved me loads of time and also showed me how to use the Axial, VoxLayer and spline tool. So, now I can create some complex shapes that I was "attemping, but failed" to do by hand before :P So, Really Thank you again! I may just finish this in time for the proposal! :D

Edited by HonestAustin

I can't edit my last two post for some reason. But, I just wanted to say. I was able to separate them and now have a Beautiful flower Thanks to Timmy! :D I based my design off of a Daisy though so the petals and How many petals are different. :-)

Although, One question still remains. How can I get the Heart shaped stone to sit snug in a Heart shaped Bracket? I made the brackets already But, I have no idea how to make the hooks that will Hold it in-place.

Here is a screenshot of the ring thus far. Comments/Advice/Suggestions? :D

PjNnu1h.png

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

It's really coming along.  Now, I don't do 3D printing, so I'm not knowledgeable about it, but would be curious if you have to retopo this to get it to your 3D printing company.  I might also suggest that the flower petals be a bit smaller, so as not to overpower the stone.

Edited by alvordr

• Contributor

Update: I managed to just use the cutoff tool to get rid of the 2nd object/instance. and now it just 5 Axial petals. However they are still extremely close and bunched up that they are clipping eachother. and, I would of got a screenshot but it crashed due to a instability error when I clicked take screenshot in program o_O

EDIT 2: what would be the best way to make "hooks" inside of petals for the Heart shaped stone? just asking in your case if you wanted to put a Heart shaped stone in the center what design maybe I should incorporate.

EDIT3: Timmy, You saved me loads of time and also showed me how to use the Axial, VoxLayer and spline tool. So, now I can create some complex shapes that I was "attemping, but failed" to do by hand before :P So, Really Thank you again! I may just finish this in time for the proposal! :D

Hi Austin,

Sorry about the late reply, I've been busy.

The extra petal instance you encountered was probably appearing because you had the wrong symmetry axis setup (symetry across z instead of symmetry across x for example), or maybe you didn't have "Ignore back faces" checked in the E Panel (Stroke Mode Panel). If that is unchecked then your selection will be made all the way through your object to the other side, and the VoxLayer Tool will create two of them as a result.

I don't have time now to make another detailed step-by-step tutorial for you now, but I did spend a few minutes in 3D-Coat and made some "hooks" for your diamond with the Curves Tool.

Here are some screenshots:

Ring2.JPG

Ring3.JPG

Ring1.JPG

As you can see, I first created an object to represent the diamond on the ring. Then I created a rectangular object with the Primitives Tool, then snapped the side of it to the z axis (adjusting "grid placement", "grid density", and turning on "snap to 3D grid") in the View Menu. I put the rectangular object on a separate layer and then used my original layer with the Curves Tool to draw a curve on it. As far as I know, the Curves Tool needs a background object for accurate snapping, so that is why I created the rectangular object. I adjusted some parameters in the Tool Options panel of the Curves Tool (I chose the "Straight" profile, chose the square-shaped spline in the Splines panel, added rotation via "Apply to whole curve" so that the flat part of the spline faced up, and then applied my changes). That is how I created the first hook. Then I used the Axial Tool to create more, rotated them a bit so they fit inbetween the petals, and then I was done.

I hope that your 3D-printing company can actually print such tiny hooks for holding the diamond, and you will definitely need to measure all of this so that it is the right size for holding your diamond. Using correctly-sized photo reference inside 3D-Coat will probably help a lot.

Also, I agree with alvodr's comment above. He suggested that the flower be a bit smaller. I think your flower might be a bit dangerous too, because of all those sharp petals. It could potentially scratch your fiance or someone else, so you might want to try making it with less pointy petals if possible. Otherwise it is looking good, and it definitely incorporates your own unique design!

• Like 2