3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Advanced Member

Ta for that! It looks a bit complicated for me,but I guess once you have worked through it a couple of time it will be come clearer.

I figured out a Carrara way that has worked to my satisfaction.

I used  a Carrara metal shader with what Carrara calls  a "multichannel mixer" . Basically mix a metal layer with a paint layer with a mask ( made from the paint layer converted to gray scale/b and w)

So in reality I guess to do this I dont technically need to use PBR ,I could use any colour in Coat for my metal layer, because I would be just replacing it with Carrara Metal later. But it is nice to see what it looks like in metal whilst painting in Coat.

I used this method for my "Space Girl" picture in my gallery. I will post a close up soon. Also I "cheated" a bit by doing a "metal render layer" and using Photoshop to erase the top layer to reveal the metal underneath.( Keep it simple!)

• Like 1

• Contributor

Has anyone noticed that Flat Colour and Glossiness Only view modes are pretty much useless now? They don't represent what they supposed to.

Take a look at this example:

Smooth Shade:

post-12523-0-03669900-1419866451_thumb.j

Flat Colour:

post-12523-0-06582100-1419866454_thumb.j

Glossiness Only:

post-12523-0-58510900-1419866456_thumb.j

On all three images we have:

In the upper row (counting from the left): 100% glossiness / 100% metalness and 0% glossiness / 100% metalness.

The middle row: 100% glossiness / 0% metalness and 0% glossiness / 0% metalness.

The bottom row: 50% glossiness / 100% metalness and 50% glossiness / 0% metalness.

First of all, Flat Colour displays black colour for areas with 100% metalness.

Then, there's almost no distinguishable difference between 100% glossiness and 50% glossiness on the Glossiness Only view.

Lastly, 100% glossiness does not appear as white, and 0% glossiness does not appear as black on the Glossiness Only view. They are all in darker or lighter grey.

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

Has anyone noticed that Flat Colour and Glossiness Only view modes are pretty much useless now? They don't represent what they supposed to.

Take a look at this example:

Smooth Shade:

attachicon.gifsmooth_shade.jpg

Flat Colour:

attachicon.gifflat_colour.jpg

Glossiness Only:

attachicon.gifglossiness_only.jpg

On all three images we have:

In the upper row (counting from the left): 100% glossiness / 100% metalness and 0% glossiness / 100% metalness.

The middle row: 100% glossiness / 0% metalness and 0% glossiness / 0% metalness.

The bottom row: 50% glossiness / 100% metalness and 50% glossiness / 0% metalness.

First of all, Flat Colour displays black colour for areas with 100% metalness.

Then, there's almost no distinguishable difference between 100% glossiness and 50% glossiness.

Lastly, 100% glossiness does not appear as white, and 0% glossiness does not appear as black on the Glossiness Only view. They are all in darker or lighter grey.

I reported this to Andrew in my alpha testing report,hopefully a solution will appear until final build.

• Like 1

Another bug: Moving PBR Materials from one folder to another causes them to completely vanish from 3DC. I've found no way to retrieve them. In one instance I had one resurface later (days later) for no apparent reason.

Hi all - I just recently upgraded from V3 to V4 and I am now running V4.5 beta2 in order to evaluate the state of PBR painting.

However I am seem unable to setup the program to display the materials and shader properly - I am probably missing something obvious due to my lack of experience with the software.

The instructions read as follows :

"Use [Camera]->Background->Choose panoramic image

and choose any panorama from Panorama folder

Othervice PBR may be rendered incorrectly!

Use PBR shader in voxel room as well."

However there is no such thing as a "Choose panoramic image" menu entry ; only "choose environment map" and "use environment map" and they seem to not do anything, even when pointing to HDR_RiverRoad.exr. Moreover, the instructions mention a PBR shader in the voxel room, but I hoping to use the PBR workflow with realtime models with normalmaps, and not voxel models ... Now the new dynamic material themselves seem to react properly, detecting proper cavity and edges when applied ; but I am stuck with a realtime preview in the viewport without any reflections or advanced rendering.

2015-01-0100_46_04-_zpsa03211f3.jpg

I am running "3D-CoatDX64S.exe". I suppose that 64C means cuda and 64S means standard, but what does 64SF stand for ?
On a side note I also unpacked 
materials.3dcpack and masks.rar from the Gdrive directory - but I am not sure if this is necessary anymore with 4.5beta2.

In short : I would like precise, step-by-step instructions in order to fully enable PBR mode, written for someone technically savy  but not necessarily familiar with the specifics of the 3DCoat interface :) (I should also probably mention that I am familiar with PBR workflows already, coming from Substance Painter and Toolbag2.)

Thanks !
Edited by pior

• Contributor

Hi all - I just recently upgraded from V3 to V4 and I am now running V4.5 beta2 in order to evaluate the state of PBR painting.

However I am seem unable to setup the program to display the materials and shader properly - I am probably missing something obvious due to my lack of experience with the software.

The instructions read as follows :

"Use [Camera]->Background->Choose panoramic image

and choose any panorama from Panorama folder

Othervice PBR may be rendered incorrectly!

Use PBR shader in voxel room as well."

However there is no such thing as a "Choose panoramic image" menu entry ; only "choose environment map" and "use environment map" and they seem to not do anything, even when pointing to HDR_RiverRoad.exr. Moreover, the instructions mention a PBR shader in the voxel room, but I hoping to use the PBR workflow with realtime models with normalmaps, and not voxel models ... Now the new dynamic material themselves seem to react properly, detecting proper cavity and edges when applied ; but I am stuck with a realtime preview in the viewport without any reflections or advanced rendering.

2015-01-0100_46_04-_zpsa03211f3.jpg

I am running "3D-CoatDX64S.exe". I suppose that 64C means cuda and 64S means standard, but what does 64SF stand for ?

On a side note I also unpacked 

materials.3dcpack and masks.rar from the Gdrive directory - but I am not sure if this is necessary anymore with 4.5beta2.

In short : I would like precise, step-by-step instructions in order to fully enable PBR mode, written for someone technically savy  but not necessarily familiar with the specifics of the 3DCoat interface :) (I should also probably mention that I am familiar with PBR workflows already, coming from Substance Painter and Toolbag2.)

Thanks !

In PPP painting (painting on lowpoly with normal map) default display shader is pbr ready, nothing needs to be chnaged there

also it seems Panorama was renamed to environment so your setup is ok there too....

The only thing missing is you did not enabled gloss channel (the little blackish ball beside the green color ball)

Without it you wont see either glossiness or metalness in your painting.....

Thank you for you help Artman -

Unfortunately I am at loss here - even after enabling gloss by clicking on the X icon which then turns into a black sphere, nothing happens ...

What's odd is that the environment texture doesn't seem to be loading at all, since the viewport background should obviously show it - which all makes me think that I am still missing something obvious :/

[edit] Ha ! It looks like the problem came from the fact that I was originally in Orthographic mode, and for some reason the materials didn't refresh until I re-painted them. I am not sure what exactly happened, but it seems to work somehow now ! The PBR painting engine really is fantastic, and having such an easy access to the conditional controls of each material to easily create custom variants from there is unprecedented. Fantastic job guys.

3dcoat_pbr_001_zps4a110b02.jpg

Edited by pior
  • Like 2

• Contributor

Hi folks,

Is there some way to bake texture into vertex color and export model with vertex color information?

Now I'm using Maya + Turtle, but i'm looking for some alternatives.

easy ,...export object along with texture in .obj (.mlt file needs to be there as well I think)

Then Import for Vertex painting from start up choices or file menu....3Dcoat will automatically bake texture to vertex on import :).

(I assume you are aware of how much polys you'll need to preserve texture original details)

..then export as .obj or .ply. Vertex paint data will be in file. :)

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

easy ,...export object along with texture in .obj (.mlt file needs to be there as well I think)

Then Import for Vertex painting from start up choices or file menu....3Dcoat will automatically bake texture to vertex on import :).

(I assume you are aware of how much polys you'll need to preserve texture original details)

For what it is worth, Andrew recommends using .ply rather than OBJ for Vertex color. OBJ is restricted to 8bit, whereas .ply is 16bit. I think .FBX is also 16bit color, as well. Not certain on that, but I think Andrew said it was.

• Like 3

• Contributor
For what it is worth, Andrew recommends using .ply rather than OBJ for Vertex color. OBJ is restricted to 8bit, whereas .ply is 16bit. I think .FBX is also 16bit color, as well. Not certain on that, but I think Andrew said it was.

Have you guys actually tried this?

I can't seem to get the vertex color info to be included in the OBJ or FBX formats. It only seems to be included in the .PLY file, and that only opens in Blender, because Blender is the only one which natively supports .PLY. The OBJs and FBX files import into Maya fine, you can see the mesh in the viewport, but the vertex color info seems to be gone. I tried switching to Viewport 2.0 in Maya and still get nothing. It seems like you can only generate vertex color within Maya, but you can't import it from 3D-Coat... Maybe I am missing a step?

• Reputable Contributor

I can't seem to get the vertex color info to be included in the OBJ or FBX formats. It only seems to be included in the .PLY file, and that only opens in Blender, because Blender is the only one which natively supports .PLY. The OBJs and FBX files import into Maya fine, you can see the mesh in the viewport, but the vertex color info seems to be gone. I tried switching to Viewport 2.0 in Maya and still get nothing. It seems like you can only generate vertex color within Maya, but you can't import it from 3D-Coat... Maybe I am missing a step?

It should work. I know it does in 3ds Max, in .fbx

• Like 1

A remark regarding OBJ and vertex colors : if I am not mistaken, storing vertex colors is not part of the original specifications of the OBJ format. However, Zbrush writes this data on OBJ export, and Xnormal can read it fine (which is very useful for baking/transer). It would be great for 3DCoat to follow along and adopt the same norm/hack !

Edited by pior

• Contributor
It should work. I know it does in 3ds Max, in .fbx

Thanks! I guess I just don't know how to set it up correctly in Maya. Maybe there is a node I need to attach in the Hypershade or something.

I think there might be slightly different kinds of OBJ with different specifications. I did notice that vertex color on a Zbrush OBJ imports into 3D-Coat with the vertex colors still intact.

I'll keep tinkering with Maya to see if I can get this to work. Maybe it will render with Vray instead of Mentalray or something...

Thanks! I'll try this. I just need to fake AO on some mobile models. I can't do it with texture because of app size restrictions.

Maya by default is not displaying Vertex Color. In "polygons" mode select object, go to Color and click "Toggle Display Colors Attribute". Additionally in Color menu you'll find "Color Set Editor" where you can create and edit object's vertex color sets. (more info: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya-lt/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/MayaLT/files/Coloring-polygons-Make-vertex-colors-visible-htm.html)

• Like 3

• Contributor

Maya by default is not displaying Vertex Color. In "polygons" mode select object, go to Color and click "Toggle Display Colors Attribute". Additionally in Color menu you'll find "Color Set Editor" where you can create and edit object's vertex color sets. (more info: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya-lt/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/MayaLT/files/Coloring-polygons-Make-vertex-colors-visible-htm.html)

Wow, thanks Creator! I clicked on "Toggle Display Colors Attribute" and suddenly the vertex colors appeared! It didn't seem to work for OBJ, but it worked great for FBX.

Then I also read the Maya Help Manual entry on rendering vertex colors, and followed it step by step, but I couldn't get it to work. Then I found a good tutorial on Youtube, and at last I was able to render the vertex colors!

So, altogether a big success! Big thanks to Creator and AbnRanger for insisting that this was possible.

Here is the good Youtube tutorial on how to render the vertex colors in Maya if anybody is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBSW34AaTbI

• Like 1

4.5 BETA3

- fixed problems related to rename/move/duplicate items in folders. Need te be carefully checked anyway.

- HDR support for panoramas. Panoramas will be auto - leveled. I included several really good panoramas i Panoramas/ folder, set other default panorama.

- Materials in 4.5 will not destroy 4.1 materials and vice versa. New mats has extension .pbrm instead of .xml. But if you want to use older materials - use Edit->Convert materials

- Top row conditions are now same as in materials. Realtime preview should work correctly for both - paint conditions and materials.

- View separate channels - color/specular color/gloss/metalness

- a lot of paint problems solved.

- UDIM naming for UV-sets supported with tiled import. Fixed seams probem related to tiled import.

• Like 4

Hi,

First of all, the PBR is just very ver cool!!!

I also have 2 Question:

-in 3DC Beta 3 the exported .lwo hasn't any textured applied when I open the lwo in LW. (I guess in Beta 2 it worked)

-how is it possible, to export the Reflection Map of the new PBR Materials? I just get Color/Spec/Normal out of 3D-Coat.

Thanks and Greets

Tom