3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Reputable Contributor

Does displacement work in BETA5? I don't get any after baking for PPP with displacement. Show Displaced Mesh doesn't show anything, and the map exports as flat colour.

It appears to be working on my end...

Win32 bit Beta5 running under Wine in Linux, GL version.

I was not getting anything till I turned off Names Correspondence for baking, I am not saying this is your problem, I was just going what the heck? :blink:

Then I saw my error... LOL...

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Now just because it works on my end does not mean there is not a bug in your 3DC. You are an experienced user so the below is just to help with figuring out the problem.

From the retopo room, I bake at a high polygon subdivision for PPP with displacement, a must for the baking to be correct... Andrew has confirmed this.

I added more normal map work to see if that was added to the already baked normal map and could has well be exported as a displacement map with the baked one.

Export settings from the File menu / export / export panel for displacement shown in picture...

Loaded the EXR files in Photoshop and the displacement is correct...

post-518-0-65568600-1421291113_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

Andrew, while you're still on the Paint Room pass, one thing that I'd really like to see in v5, because there is no time for it to happen in v4.5 since it's due out any time soon, are more painting medium styles. Gouache, oil and ink would be really a great start. More added as time goes too, where applicable. Or just some parameters that simulate these styles, like paint clumping, impasto, wetness/dryness, etc.. Things like that. It would be really cool to do some 3D painting with gouache style, do some Frazetta style painting on a sculpture.

Here are some other things that would be cool for painting features, too.

Brush loading: Keeping your brush dirty from the the colors you've painted over

Palette Knife: Scraping existing paint along the surface

Wait, can it be done for 4.5? ;)

Andrew, while you're still on the Paint Room pass, one thing that I'd really like to see in v5, because there is no time for it to happen in v4.5 since it's due out any time soon, are more painting medium styles. Gouache, oil and ink would be really a great start. More added as time goes too, where applicable. Or just some parameters that simulate these styles, like paint clumping, impasto, wetness/dryness, etc.. Things like that. It would be really cool to do some 3D painting with gouache style, do some Frazetta style painting on a sculpture.

Here are some other things that would be cool for painting features, too.

Brush loading: Keeping your brush dirty from the the colors you've painted over

Palette Knife: Scraping existing paint along the surface

Wait, can it be done for 4.5? ;)

What you are asking for is a separate job for a coder team accomplished over years. If Andrew wishes to see, how real brushes work mixing color like in real life, check out Procreate Painter 7. This was just when Corel bought them and the awesome coders probably left Corel right after that, because the next versions of Corel Painter were nothing like Painter 7. Nothing like that was ever accomplished after that, its lost technology years ahead of its time and the engineers, who accomplished that are gone.  I wonder, where those brilliant engineers went to work, after they apparently left Corel?

Open Procreate Painter 7:

1. Select Oil Brushes, Camel Hair Brush,

Go to Brush Options: long vertical window with lots of settings

Find and adjust its EXPRESSION, check it by painting how the brush behaves and set this:

Velocity Scale: 36

Velocity Power: 0.34

Pressure Scale: 1.00

Pressure Power: 2.00

Go to layer options try CTRL or ALT +1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 for all important paint tools

Set: Pick up background color from layers

Select a color: Paint a few strokes like blue

Select a new color: Paint a few strokes like orange yellow

and watch how the colors mix.

That's what you won't be able to replicate, because it took them a team building Painter 1.0 --> Painter 7.0, years to accomplish. Its a life achievement!

Maybe, only maybe - I don't know - they are this team, continued working for iPad:

http://procreate.si/

Edited by mercy

• Contributor

Now just because it works on my end does not mean there is not a bug in your 3DC. You are an experienced user so the below is just to help with figuring out the problem.

From the retopo room, I bake at a high polygon subdivision for PPP with displacement, a must for the baking to be correct... Andrew has confirmed this.

I added more normal map work to see if that was added to the already baked normal map and could has well be exported as a displacement map with the baked one.

Export settings from the File menu / export / export panel for displacement shown in picture...

Loaded the EXR files in Photoshop and the displacement is correct...

Thanks, Digman. This is exactly how I do it, and yet 3D-Coat doesn't generate displacement map. I'll try with another model. Meanwhile I was able to bake the map in xNormal.

What you are asking for is a separate job for a coder team accomplished over years. If Andrew wishes to see, how real brushes work mixing color like in real life, check out Procreate Painter 7. This was just when Corel bought them and the awesome coders probably left Corel right after that, because the next versions of Corel Painter were nothing like Painter 7. Nothing like that was ever accomplished after that, its lost technology years ahead of its time and the engineers, who accomplished that are gone.  I wonder, where those brilliant engineers went to work, after they apparently left Corel?

Open Procreate Painter 7:

1. Select Oil Brushes, Camel Hair Brush,

Go to Brush Options: long vertical window with lots of settings

Find and adjust its EXPRESSION, check it by painting how the brush behaves and set this:

Velocity Scale: 36

Velocity Power: 0.34

Pressure Scale: 1.00

Pressure Power: 2.00

Go to layer options try CTRL or ALT +1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 for all important paint tools

Set: Pick up background color from layers

Select a color: Paint a few strokes like blue

Select a new color: Paint a few strokes like orange yellow

and watch how the colors mix.

That's what you won't be able to replicate, because it took them a team building Painter 1.0 --> Painter 7.0, years to accomplish. Its a life achievement!

Maybe, only maybe - I don't know - they are this team, continued working for iPad:

http://procreate.si/

It is a big achievement, yes, but let's not discount Andrew's abilities here. At SIGGRAPH 2010,  Andrew literally made me drop my jaw with his work. Not only in the hotel room, where he literally programmed something amazing in a matter of a few hours, but also on the show floor. If there was a person that could do it, it is Andrew. :)

I used Painter 7, it was awesome! I occasionally use Painter 11, but it's not quite the same. Still cool though.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

@Javis... Yes, Yes, Yes... We need all types of brushes, a good example is the brush engine of TwistedBrush, one of the most powerful for all types of brushes. Now I know that right now it is not possible but a good start would be the brushes you described. 

Funny I thought several times I would buy Andrew a copy of TwistedBrush, so he could check out the brush engine. You can create your own brushes, I am not just talking about alphas but brush media types, oil, acrylics, watercolor, pastels, pens etc. I figured it might spark his creative programming brain to give us something like it in 3DC. Maybe I still will buy him a copy...  :) 

• Advanced Member

I used Painter 7, it was awesome! I occasionally use Painter 11, but it's not quite the same. Still cool though.

What's interesting is that if done right such effects can be applied to sculpting as well, things like erosion and gravity effecting its strokes..ect

• Like 1

• Contributor

BETA5.

Putting paint layers into folder makes their glossiness and metalness disappear. Fortunately, removing them from the folder makes those two channels reappear.

Can anyone confirm this?

Edited by ajz3d

4.5 BETA6

- copy channels supports metalness

- correct texture UV editor view

- robot/preview sphere included in distributive

- Objectify was super slow. I fixed it in beta6. Extra functionnlaity in objectify - removing small flying noise, unifying small pieces, decomposing to child volumes, sorting by size.

- 3D-Coat now may import object space normal maps (with auto conversion to tangent space). It guarantees normalmaps compatibility.

- "Draw on plane" extended on Curves/Text/Snake clay

- Fixed seams problem in ppp - colored pixels near the seam in some cases.

- View seams in paint room - bit.ly/1shKfFR

May someone confirm that this is fixed (from first page) and no longer warnings required (at least 2,3 are fixed):

1) Keep backups of scenes, presets and materials. Better - do backup of folder MyDocs/3D-CoatV4

For example, rename it MyDocs/3D-CoatV4 to MyDocs/3D-CoatV4_OLD, run beta, work there. If you want to get back to 4.1.17D -

rename or copy MyDocs/3D-CoatV4_OLD to MyDocs/3D-CoatV4

4.5.BETA may upgrade materials (Stamps) to new format and 4.1.17 wil not recognize it.

2) Do NOT rename or delete PBR Material folders. You can potentially lose materials or have them be placed in random folders (most likely the will be lost). Bug is reported.

3) Don't move PBR Materials to another folder. They will be lost. Bug is reported.

• Like 3

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks a bunch for the new update and adding some more default materials... They help on figuring out how to make your own.

New default paint material on a table I modelled in Blender.

post-518-0-15469700-1421420036_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

May someone confirm that this is fixed (from first page) and no longer warnings required (at least 2,3 are fixed):

1) Keep backups of scenes, presets and materials. Better - do backup of folder MyDocs/3D-CoatV4

For example, rename it MyDocs/3D-CoatV4 to MyDocs/3D-CoatV4_OLD, run beta, work there. If you want to get back to 4.1.17D -

4.5.BETA may upgrade materials (Stamps) to new format and 4.1.17 wil not recognize it.

2) Do NOT rename or delete PBR Material folders. You can potentially lose materials or have them be placed in random folders (most likely the will be lost). Bug is reported.

3) Don't move PBR Materials to another folder. They will be lost. Bug is reported.

From my side, some test done and found 2,3 fixed

switch from one pbr materials folders to other is slow, looks as preview ball need to be refresh everytime -icon is not cached- ?

ty

• Advanced Member

4.5 BETA6

- copy channels supports metalness

- correct texture UV editor view

- robot/preview sphere included in distributive

- Objectify was super slow. I fixed it in beta6. Extra functionnlaity in objectify - removing small flying noise, unifying small pieces, decomposing to child volumes, sorting by size.

- 3D-Coat now may import object space normal maps (with auto conversion to tangent space). It guarantees normalmaps compatibility.

- "Draw on plane" extended on Curves/Text/Snake clay

- Fixed seams problem in ppp - colored pixels near the seam in some cases.

- View seams in paint room - bit.ly/1shKfFR

Does this "Fixed seams problem in ppp - colored pixels near the seam in some cases." fix the problem with seams where UV island from different UV tiles/sets meet?

That bug is horrible, since it means you can't layout a single mesh (e.g. a character) into multiple tiles without ending up with seams.

Thank you Javis , just tested it and it's soooooo amazing !!! I'm very beginner and I had very good result in a few time and yes it's easy with this all "automatic" features. I love it!

Now I'm just waiting for the steam version and for a tutorial to "how to create our own BPR texture"  ;-)

Marc

• Contributor

Maybe a small thing but greatly appreciated here:

Andrew added depth enabled pbr shader. 

I was very pleased to have smooth shading from the get go in 3dcoat (cause in zbrush you need to subdivide to get free of faceting) but sometimes it's easier to sculpt with flatshading. With pbr depth shader you can do that.

So thanks :)

One small request: Is it possible to have realtime rotation of the env with lock disabled ? I like to have my models "locked" in the scene but would love to be able to rotate the environnement lighting around for previsualisation purpose. Right now I can unfortunately I need to release the mouse button to see the changes.

I know it's not the intended purpose of pbr but sculpting with a good setup and realistic lighting conditions break the fourth wall. It makes sculpting much more enjoyable, you don't feel like you're working on something completely artificial :)

When designing characters the new lighting system makes grasping the shapes much easier and you don't make as much mistake as you would because the light is closer to what you'd expect to see irl.

It's hard to describe but every sculpting software should have that by default, it's so much better.

Pardon me if this has already been asked but is there a way to still use the old materials method? This PBR is great but I feel like the old way was better for some things like painting decals onto a racecar or using photos to paint skin onto a character. I guess it's possible to load those images into a PBR material but it seems like overkill and the sphere previews make it harder to tell which is which.