3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

Out of curiosity, is there a particular road map for 4.5 that Andrew is going off of (thats been revealed to the userbase) or it kind of a primary target and lots of bug fixing?

1) Completely polish PBR

2) Fix bugs as much as possible

3) Do only small tweaks for improving useability

Target time - approx mid-end of February

• Advanced Member

1) Completely polish PBR

3) Do only small tweaks for improving useability

Great stuff, thanks.

Such a big difference with where 3d coat used to be, the polish and painting is what got me to purchase. Anything that improves performance is a great target in my book. Thanks.

(on a side note, does 3d coat only deal with exporting 8-bit maps or is there some means to select 8/16/32 for 4.5?)

Edited by RabenWulf

• Reputable Contributor

Yes RAM is an issue, yes it's also not entirely the issue. You don't seem to understand how computers work with images. I understand. There is no black and white here. I already explained, I wont try to again.

Don. Carlos already asked you politely to stop posting images like that. Stop posting images like that. Thanks for your compliance.

Using humor, via a funny picture, to re-enforce the point (that performance in these areas are STILL problematic) is wrong just how? This is crazy.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I'm having a strange, recurring problem importing retopo meshes.

I'm creating these low res retopo meshes outside 3D-Coat and importing them into the Retopo Room. Its taking only a couple of seconds most of the time to import them with snapping to reference mesh activated.

From time to time though, this process takes minutes without any obvious reason. I'm talking about several minutes to import one lowres mesh (1000-4000 polygons), I've killed 3D-Coat with ALT+F4 numerous times because nothing seemed to be happening at all even after 5+ minutes.

Importing the same mesh without snapping to reference mesh activated imports the mesh almost instantly.

I checked the meshes in an external 3D program, there are no problems detected. Floating vertices ect will crash 3D-Coat anyways, so this is not the problem here.

What could be going on?

Edited by wilson66

Using humor, via a funny picture, to re-enforce the point (that performance in these areas are STILL problematic) is wrong just how? This is crazy.

It's not funny. Talk to Stas please. You won't be doing that again, thanks.

Javis, I've been building my own PC's for well over 2 decades, now....so, it's comical to hear you try to lecture me about RAM. I proved in the demonstration video I posted earlier, that the performance issue regarding slider adjustments, wasn't a matter of running low on RAM. It was only using 7GB out of 32. I know what I'm talking about, thank you very much.

Building computers instantly makes you understand the programmatic workings of memory usage? Sorry, nope. Lol. When you start programming, come back and talk about it. In the meantime, conversation over.

I'm having a strange, recurring problem importing retopo meshes.

I'm creating these low res retopo meshes outside 3D-Coat and importing them into the Retopo Room. Its taking only a couple of seconds most of the time to import them with snapping to reference mesh activated.

From time to time though, this process takes minutes without any obvious reason. I'm talking about several minutes to import one lowres mesh (1000-4000 polygons), I've killed 3D-Coat with ALT+F4 numerous times because nothing seemed to be happening at all even after 5+ minutes.

Importing the same mesh without snapping to reference mesh activated imports the mesh almost instantly.

I checked the meshes in an external 3D program, there are no problems detected. Floating vertices ect will crash 3D-Coat anyways, so this is not the problem here.

What could be going on?

Probably you are using "Snap to nearest". It is really slow. Use "Closest by normal" usually and when really need - "Closest"

• Reputable Contributor

....and programming has no relevance to the discussion, whatsoever. It was about whether the sliders were slow due to RAM limitations. The recorded demonstration used only 7GB of RAM out of 32GB that was available. It's slow, regardless, so there goes your (straw-man) argument.

• Contributor

4.5 BETA10

- Left align in VoxTree, no flickering during resize.

- Fixed problem of icons disappearing in voxtree.

Thank you for making the VoxTree items left-aligned! It's much easier on the eyes.

It however introduced a few problems with the following windows:

- Retopo Objects

- Surface Materials

- Paint Objects

Columns containing text are cropped from the right if those windows are resized horizontally.

post-12523-0-95334800-1422563624_thumb.p

post-12523-0-57310800-1422563621_thumb.p

and main change that is very important for painters:

paintdiff.png

That's a great improvement, Andrew! The difference in brushing is very noticeable and colour blending much nicer. It feels a lot better!

Hey Andrew,

When you cache a sculpture (in my case in Surface mode), when you bring up the quick access panel with the SPACE bar the tools I've set to their numbers are there, but they either do nothing when clicked or they activate a completely different tool. Could you take a look at it please? Thanks!

easy and small tweaks ?

i got ones ! ^_^

Floating small square over spline: change command location to Tool Options

Any tool function or parameter that relates to a tool should be inside of the "Tool Options" panel

This are the most easy, funny, awesome, smallest tweaks that could make everyone happy ! :D -at least for one week-

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

Not a small tweak, but could be added later.  I think I'm not alone in feeling Mantis is cumbersome compared a built-in feedback system, which is basically an in-app form to provide feature requests and non-crashing bug reports.  That's a lot to ask, but I figured I would throw it in there.  It's much better if you don't have to go to another app, log in, setup all the details for a report, etc....when most of that could be automated to get the specs, version data, etc., and the user simply inputs their feedback in a textbox.  Just a thought.  It's also a feature many programs like this don't offer...so boom!...extra coolness points!

...ducking behind the chair now, waiting for rocks to be thrown.

Edited by alvordr

Great work on the new paint stroke system, the lack of self-intersections now is especially noticeable. :)

Finally messed around with the PBR stuff too.

The default PBR materials are nice, but was surprised there were no default glass materials yet (scratched, cracked, stained, wet, etc.).

Turning on/off layers also seems to have gotten much slower since the pre-4.5 builds (more map types per layer, so I guess maybe it should be expected...).

Also, two small bugs I noticed that haven't noticed being mentioned:

-When you go to create a new PBR material if you press cancel it'll create a blank one that has to be deleted separately.

-Texture Editor and Viewport seem to interfere with each other when different map types are viewed. ie. if Texture Editor is set to glossiness the viewport cant be in flat, or if in gloss viewport cant be in metalness. etc.

Not a small tweak, but could be added later.  I think I'm not alone in feeling Mantis is cumbersome compared a built-in feedback system, which is basically an in-app form to provide feature requests and non-crashing bug reports.  That's a lot to ask, but I figured I would throw it in there.  It's much better if you don't have to go to another app, log in, setup all the details for a report, etc....when most of that could be automated to get the specs, version data, etc., and the user simply inputs their feedback in a textbox.  Just a thought.  It's also a feature many programs like this don't offer...so boom!...extra coolness points!

...ducking behind the chair now, waiting for rocks to be thrown.

Between Mantis, Trello, and these forums, I really don't think we need more ways to report issues and make requests.

That said, Mantis is a complete mess. There are currently 693 open issues on there, that's a hell of a lot. Personally I think the whole thing should be wiped and started over, keeping only those linked to Trello requests, or which are specifically asked to be kept by users over a grace period before said wipe.

Hi all

My daily work is try to keep order crossing info/date to and from different databases -mantis/trello/forum-

Mantis for bug / feature request

For every new Mantis feature request > a Trello vote card is open

Any Mantis bug/feature solved is mark as resolved and the Trello card archived.

IF an old request from early versions popup at Mantis, i move the ticket to current version and i edit mantis adding the link to Trello

IF at forum, a new feature asked have users echo > mantis and trello are added

IF at forum, a feature asked is solved, title is edited [solved]

IF at forum, a new feature asked was solved before, a solution is posted and the post is moved to subforum newusers.

I suggest to keep old asked features for early versions

Sometimes by lack of time, technology or knowledge... some really good features was not solved but, the implementation will help a lot our workflow.

Road map for 4.5  -italic is mine-

1) Completely polish PBR

3) Do only small tweaks for improving usability

• Contributor

@Andrew

A little bug that is realy anoying.

If you move a layer from Voxel Room into the Models folder, to create a new basic object and you delete it, the created image should be deleted, too, not only the obj.

Because if you create a new basic object with the same name, the old preview image get used, that is mostly compledly different as the actuall one.

Same in Retpo Room with Retopolayers and RTP Models.

Edited by Malo

Any chance the Hide tool in the Paint room could get an option to 1-click hide continuous geometry (aka. elements/shells), and/or UV islands? for continuous geo It can already be done by using the hide tool on some faces and then growing the hide area until it encompasses the entire piece, but that's pretty slow if your dealing with a large number of elements. The default robot mesh is a good example of this.

Any chance the Hide tool in the Paint room could get an option to 1-click hide continuous geometry (aka. elements/shells), and/or UV islands? for continuous geo It can already be done by using the hide tool on some faces and then growing the hide area until it encompasses the entire piece, but that's pretty slow if your dealing with a large number of elements. The default robot mesh is a good example of this.

I'm hoping, pushing really, for the UV tools to get some much needed love in v5. So we should start compiling the issues we want fixed and the features we want regarding the UV tools now. :)

This is a good one. Maybe a way similar to Modo? Quick selecting with double click contiguous pieces/islands, then a hotkey for hiding. Actually hiding, not the just can't see but can still edit, method, we currently have.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Regarding what was said above, it would probably make more sense to just have nice falloff options alongside a masking overhaul/revamp. It should also be called "masking", since lets be honest here. That's what the expectation is and new users will pick up or like software faster if it follows a bit of convention on that front. You cant have something be intuitive if its not familiar.

A personal peeve I have is how the matcaps ("materials") look and work in 3dcoat. Would be great to have them updated with a lot of the free matcaps that exist out there or a simple folder you can call on with those litspheres/matcaps that 3dcoat can pull from (just like modo..ect)  I find that a good matcap and how its rendered really helps in the sculpting process.

• Reputable Contributor

Regarding what was said above, it would probably make more sense to just have nice falloff options alongside a masking overhaul/revamp. It should also be called "masking", since lets be honest here. That's what the expectation is and new users will pick up or like software faster if it follows a bit of convention on that front. You cant have something be intuitive if its not familiar.

A personal peeve I have is how the matcaps ("materials") look and work in 3dcoat. Would be great to have them updated with a lot of the free matcaps that exist out there or a simple folder you can call on with those litspheres/matcaps that 3dcoat can pull from (just like modo..ect)  I find that a good matcap and how its rendered really helps in the sculpting process.

It's called "freezing" in Mudbox, so there is some degree of standardization already. I think it's fine leaving it as is. There is clip-masking in the paint room, and then freezing of pixels or verts. Seems pretty intuitive, in my view.

• Contributor

Looks like Symmetry is broken in Paint Room if you use Stamp Mode or Stamp and Drag Mode with an Alpha.

Take a look at the image

post-24378-0-07536900-1422655826_thumb.j

The red circel is the result of using Stamp or Stamp and Drag Mode from E-Panel

Looks realy wrong.

Could anybody confirm that, please?

Edited by Malo