3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Advanced Member

Looks like Symmetry is broken in Paint Room if you use Stamp Mode or Stamp and Drag Mode with an Alpha.

Take a look at the image

attachicon.gifSymBug.jpg

The red circel is the result of using Stamp or Stamp and Drag Mode from E-Panel

Looks realy wrong.

Could anybody confirm that, please?

confirmed

with symmetry the stamp is in the right location, but flipped (beta8)

post-1243-0-94351600-1422672112_thumb.jp

Edited by bisenberger
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I also would plead with Andrew to utilize CUDA for the Pose tool, so it's fast regardless of whether you are in proxy mode. Been asking for this for ages and ages. I have used it in Proxy mode before and ended up losing all the work I had done when un-caching the layer. It's incredibly slow at times, as you can see in the video (skip forward to the 2:00 mark)

https://drive.google.com/?tab=Xo&authuser=0#all

Updated to BETA11

- Fixed incorrect brush rotation with symmetry.

- Lists formatting fixed

- Seamlessness of ppp painting improved, interpolation of pixels from other side is more acurate.

- If panorama was used at least once, it will be cached, next switch to the same panorama will be very quick.

- isolate/ghosting by hotkey acts on volume under cursor or on current if empty space picked.

- Correct hotkeys showing in VoxTree RMB menu

- UI optimized a bit, fps in scene grown.

- Created good hints for Object-ify (Decompose)

- Improved alphas creation from pictures, inserted extended hint to describe how picture will be transformed to alpha.

• Like 5

Question: I noticed when painting areas using the PBR materials (instead of just using Fill), if an area is gone over more then once its depth is multiplied. I'm sure there are some uses for this, but is it possible to keep the depth consistent to the sourced material while painting? If I just turn off depth then areas the stroke go over will be lacking it completely. I never paint depth in 3DC (I leave Norm/Spec work to PS) so am unfamiliar with this aspect of it.

Also, Is it possible to use the fill tool to erase large areas?

• Reputable Contributor

Question: I noticed when painting areas using the PBR materials (instead of just using Fill), if an area is gone over more then once its depth is multiplied. I'm sure there are some uses for this, but is it possible to keep the depth consistent to the sourced material while painting? If I just turn off depth then areas the stroke go over will be lacking it completely. I never paint depth in 3DC (I leave Norm/Spec work to PS) so am unfamiliar with this aspect of it.

Also, Is it possible to use the fill tool to erase large areas?

deselect Additive under the depth icon... 

Now you might have a question for later relating to another aspect of depth. Brush depth is also depended upon brush size. If you ever want your depth locked regardless of brush size select the lock icon next to the depth input. If you have your tool tips showing you can read it's function as well as additive.

Eraser can use the spline tools in the E-Panel for getting rid of large areas.

post-518-0-03886700-1422730090_thumb.png

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

Updated to BETA11

- Lists formatting fixed

- Seamlessness of ppp painting improved, interpolation of pixels from other side is more acurate.

- If panorama was used at least once, it will be cached, next switch to the same panorama will be very quick.

- isolate/ghosting by hotkey acts on volume under cursor or on current if empty space picked.

- Correct hotkeys showing in VoxTree RMB menu

- UI optimized a bit, fps in scene grown.

- Created good hints for Object-ify (Decompose)

- Improved alphas creation from pictures, inserted extended hint to describe how picture will be transformed to alpha.

Cool!!! Thanks Andrew

• Reputable Contributor

Yep, splitting off the pose tool feature request to another thread would be good... I am glad you brought this up about the pose tool, Fuzzzzzz. When AbnRanger and I were addressing these problems in a Mantis report some time ago to Andrew some small fixes were done but Andrew moved on to other matters without addressing all the concerns.

With all the responding by long time users of 3DC on the problems of the pose tool, I believe Andrew will return at some date and improve it tremendously.

Note... I am not saying when he should do it but I now believe it has gotten enough attention that at some date will get what we need... :D

Edited by digman

Updated to BETA11

If your still up for messing with symmetry in the paint room, this is a good suggestion that has been around for several years and never been tackled: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=350

---

Two things I'd like to bring up about brushes:

-The Alpha/brush folder system seems to be a bit broken. Creating a new folder always copies the first six brushes default into it, and these brushes don't have a right click menu like every other brush (thus cant be deleted from the new folders). Having them waste space in every single folder instead of just one is no good.

-For sorting purposes, being able to drag-drop brushes into different locations in their folder would be useful. I have no clue how to reorder brushes atm, but if there is a way its certainly not as intuitive as drag-drop would be.

Edited by PolyHertz

• Contributor

If you're still looking for some small changes for better user experience Andrew: add text to pbr materials or shorten the apparition delay for the preview thumbnail (since you offset the preview to avoid masking the panel it could in fact me made instant and not be an hinderance).

Right now it's tedious to hover materials and wait for the preview thumb to show just to get the one you want because it looks very similar to others at small size.

I've got a bigger request if you want to make it cohesive: do it the photoshop way: a little arrow in top right corner to let the user choose between display configuration (text only, text with small preview, preview only). You did it with a few panels it should be in all panels where it makes sense:it applies to the problematic spacebar menu and would also make sense in the tool panel to replace that weird icon with multiple press states.

Another request, and this time probably a bit more time consuming but imo well worth it:

The spacebar menu hotkey system is very unpractical.

When LJB approached you with the idea he wanted you to do it the zbrush way: having the hotkey triggered according to the item name.

For instance: adjust>Pose:

Call the menu with space, press [A] for Adjust then [P] for Pose.

It may not look important but the whole purpose of the system was to call the tools you needed without having to remember their specific hotkey.

Right now Pose is [A] and [Zero] which doesn't make much sense and forces you to recall what the hotkey is... which completely defeat the point of having sequential keys.

if multiple item share the same First letter, then proceed with their second letter, then if there's still multiple items, then you can assign arbitrary characters.

Ultimately the call system should be "call the menu", "select the section", "press two consecutives char for a specific item at maximum and only one if there's only one item with the first letter pressed".

It would be much more efficient than the 0-1 quick access you put on top row which personally I never use cause it's too far away from the sweet spot aka "the ctrl-shift-a-g-b" zone.

As a matter of fact I never use the hotkey with the current setup cause it takes as much time to detect the item I want and click on it than it would take me to memorize everyone of them while on zbrush I use it all the time as I don't even need to see the menu I just press away and the tool is there... like magic ;)

Ex in zbrush:

-Standard brush: B(call menu)>S>T.

-ZModeler: B>Z>M

-Flatten: B>F>A

-HPolish:B>H>P

etc

Besides the menu would greatly benefit from it: when you introduce new tools you're not forced to consider the max number items accessible via hotkeys (alpha + numerics so 36 max), and the old one don't change their hotkey cause they've been changed in teir display order.

36 may look an awfull lot, but if you resize the menu like a lot of us are asking, this wouldn't be looking like an huge number and futureproofing without hardcoded limit is always good practice.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Blur is usefull. Sometimes you don't want to be distracted by the scenery. Other times you want to have your model "in" the scene so it should be sharp.

And thanks for the typo information, I was trying to use it the other day and couldn't I thought it was due to the difference between qwerty and azerty (] is called with alternate in azerty).

Tried this instant, it still doesn't work on azerty keyboard, we still need to use alternate. But that's not a bug it's the same thing with photoshop standard shortcuts. The software expect Qwerty key and in azerty lots of modifiers are involved to call said characters.

Anyway a remapping fixed the issue ;)

• Advanced Member

It's not possible to hide mask layers (anymore?).

Create a paint layer in the paint room, create a second one (mask layer). Make the second layer mask the first one.

Paint on the mask layer. It works, but when you hide the mask layer using the eye icon, the mask remains active in the viewport.

4.5beta11

Tools Effected: Split, Cut and Clone, Clone

Can someone tell me what setting needs to be changed, or if it's a bug.

Problem:

Using these tools on an object in voxel mode, it's like the selection has an offset.

The tools in surface mode split/copy/clone exactly on the selection.

Maybe a picture will explain better, exact same selection...But the voxel clones more then selected.

54cf57720456b.png

• Advanced Member

I notice work has been done on paint seams, but there is still the major bug with seams between UV sets. This makes it very hard to work on assets that have multiple UV sets - e.g. characters

I notice work has been done on paint seams, but there is still the major bug with seams between UV sets. This makes it very hard to work on assets that have multiple UV sets - e.g. characters

It looks like a problem with normals map. Maybe converting it to simple height map will help.