3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Reputable Contributor

Guys, do you realize there are about a dozen or more small to large feature requests per day, here (on top of the many that are listed on Mentis/Trello)? I don't know how Andrew maintains his sanity. I think he has hired some help in the past year or so, but he has to bring them along gradually. Please, keep this in mind.

• Reputable Contributor

4.5beta11

Tools Effected: Split, Cut and Clone, Clone

Can someone tell me what setting needs to be changed, or if it's a bug.

Problem:
Using these tools on an object in voxel mode, it's like the selection has an offset.
The tools in surface mode split/copy/clone exactly on the selection.

Maybe a picture will explain better, exact same selection...But the voxel clones more then selected.

54cf57720456b.png

In the Toolbar, you have a "Split Border Width." Reduce it to the appropriate value. By default, 3D Coat leaves a bit of an overlap when you split an object in voxel mode, because of it's nature.

• Reputable Contributor

Ah, actually I meant the source black and white map that normals are being computed from.

There's a request on mantis asking to see it in the texture editor (here), and I was wondering if it was at least possible in the viewport currently?

You can already see the relief in the Texture Editor, under the Depth map setting.

• Advanced Member

shift + {

shift + }

there is a typo mistake

note:

there is no difference in performance working blur or not, personally i prefer no blur.

The setting is autosaved as user preference from session to session.

not work for me either... my enviroment is always blur. I can´t sharping the image.

I have a big crash when I use Vox Layer tool and extract tool. My computer freeze and I just can reset pressing power button. is just me? Someone can test and confirm or not?

• Advanced Member

You can already see the relief in the Texture Editor, under the Depth map setting.

I only get Color, Normals, Glossiness and Texmetal in the Texture Editor, what are you referring to?

Also, I'd love to see (and edit) the depthmap both in the Texture Editor and in the viewport.

In the Toolbar, you have a "Split Border Width." Reduce it to the appropriate value. By default, 3D Coat leaves a bit of an overlap when you split an object in voxel mode, because of it's nature.

Thanks, I see the problem now....that option only shows in the toolbar when you have Split selected. (seems like a bug to me since it's missing for the clone tools)

*I can change it in split, and the value carries over to the Clone, Cut and Clone. 

Edit: Found a small bug related to this, if you open and close the tool sections...it will double the option

54d01f3433f4d.png

Edited by bocs
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Squeaky Wheel wants to know what's the ETA of the PBR Mac version coming out?!!

Squeak, squeak, Mac version, squeak,squeak,squeak,squeaks,squeak,squeak, Mac version,squeak,squeak.

Some guys have all the luck

Some guys have all the fun.

Linux squeaky Wheel... Here too, Linux version squeak, squeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.... ;)

• Like 1

IMPORTANT FOR ALL

Just a reminder:

Please don't forget to post your bugs into mantis. Your issues will be found much better there. Discussion is useful and asking other users about your problems is good and valueable. But the forums sends your bug posts into the "nirvana" because too much new posts follow and hides your bugs for developer eyes. They do their best, but it is nearly impossible for the programmers to search the forums permanently for problems.

I know some people don't like the system, but you really help the development a lot by using mantis. It is currently the best way to organise the issues.

But to post bugs is not all. You always get an e-mail when your issue is resolved. Please check resolved issues. Is the issue really fixed set it to "closed". If you have problems to use mantis, drop me or carlosan a forum message and we will check it asap.

Thank you very much

Chris

• Reputable Contributor

I only get Color, Normals, Glossiness and Texmetal in the Texture Editor, what are you referring to?

Also, I'd love to see (and edit) the depthmap both in the Texture Editor and in the viewport.

The NORMAL map should be called Depth, because 3D Coat uses a normal map and a displacement map (under the hood). With the NORMAL Map selected in the Texture Editor, you see just the depth information. That's all. And as you paint/sculpt in the depth channel it's simultaneously reflected in both the Texture Editor and the 3D Viewport.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks, I see the problem now....that option only shows in the toolbar when you have Split selected. (seems like a bug to me since it's missing for the clone tools)

*I can change it in split, and the value carries over to the Clone, Cut and Clone. 

Edit: Found a small bug related to this, if you open and close the tool sections...it will double the option

54d01f3433f4d.png

Good catch. I've noticed things like this in the Retopo room, as well. If you use the MOVE VERTICES tool and select EDGE LOOP mode > then switch something like the DELETE EDGES tool, you are still in EDGE LOOP mode. Sometimes that can be handy, but I find in practice it's usually a pain in the bum.

The NORMAL map should be called Depth, because 3D Coat uses a normal map and a displacement map (under the hood). With the NORMAL Map selected in the Texture Editor, you see just the depth information. That's all. And as you paint/sculpt in the depth channel it's simultaneously reflected in both the Texture Editor and the 3D Viewport.

Is this a bug ?

Shift+M > paint with depth displacement

Texture Paint > Normal is show as global normal but grey scale

post-10142-0-24867700-1422958752_thumb.j

• Advanced Member

Is this a bug ?

Shift+M > paint with depth displacement

Texture Paint > Normal is show as global normal but grey scale

attachicon.gifNormal.jpg

No, I think ABRranger just didn't understand what was being asked. Beatkitano said 'Ah, actually I meant the source black and white map that normals are being computed from.'

The point is for the depth channel to be shown as a grayscale displacement map. Height/Displacement maps are grayscale.

And additionally, a viewport mode in which the depth channel is displayed as the unshaded greyscale source texture.

edit: Just so there can be no more confusion:3DC_depthnormals.png

On the left is 'relief only'. What's being asked for is a viewmode in which you see the depth-TEXTURE, unshaded, mapped to the mesh.

On the right is the Normals view in the Texture Editor. What we're asking for is an additional DEPTH view, in which we see the depthmap.

Edited by Mighty Pea

• Reputable Contributor

No, I think ABRranger just didn't understand what was being asked. Beatkitano said 'Ah, actually I meant the source black and white map that normals are being computed from.'

The point is for the depth channel to be shown as a grayscale displacement map. Height/Displacement maps are grayscale.

And additionally, a viewport mode in which the depth channel is displayed as the unshaded greyscale source texture.

edit: Just so there can be no more confusion:3DC_depthnormals.png

On the left is 'relief only'. What's being asked for is a viewmode in which you see the depth-TEXTURE, unshaded, mapped to the mesh.

On the right is the Normals view in the Texture Editor. What we're asking for is an additional DEPTH view, in which we see the depthmap.

I really don't see how that would be of any benefit....to see depth with textures in 2D. You can see that in the 3D viewport where it's most important and beneficial. The reason I say this is because there are so many more substantial features that users have been waiting for years, and I cannot see this jumping ahead of those in line. If I want to see relief, I can see it in the depth map or in the 3D Viewport

• Reputable Contributor

PBR----Brush engine.

Ok, first this is not PBR vs Core Brush Engine post.  PBR is coming and development time is being spent on it...

It is a request that the Brush Engine get it's much needed improvements, The hold nine yards... Brush Engines also have improved over the last several years just like we have PBR materials which we did not have several years ago. 3DC's Core Brush Engine after PBR needs development time...

I will not go into a list here but look at any modern 2D paint program to see what we could use in 3DCoat... 

Some 2D paint programs. TwistedBrush, Artrage, Krita, Corel Painter, Photoshop, Clip Studio Paint to name a few, you made add your own as there are others.

Now of course we can not have all our cake and ice cream but I am sure if Andrew said he was going to work on the Core Brush Engine and adding some long overdue promise features plus improvements, sliders anyone?... he would also get lots of suggestions... ;)

Now the above is not a suggestion of order of development time as the retopo room needs some love and much asked for certain type file uv imports... This on top of general bug fixes and getting features that are already there fully functional...

The above posting is my 2Cents worth and has no promises of being impartial but purely subjective.... :blink::wacko:

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

The current brush engine needs quite a bit of work, its missing tons of options available in other painting apps, and the default brush set isn't exactly great either.

I personally only use the most basic brushes in 3DC and then use projection from Photoshop for any others because I cant replicate many of them in 3DC, and of course ABR support is hit-or-miss too as a result.

Even the basic creation and sorting system for brushes/alphas is pretty clumsy atm.

• Contributor

...compared to 2D painting apps maybe but I can't think of a better 3D painting app other than Mari (which is missing tons of 3DC features..and now pbr.)

Mudbox is very strong performance wize but 3Dcoat has a much richer toolset....

...compared to 2D painting apps maybe but I can't think of a better 3D painting app other than Mari (which is missing tons of 3DC features..and now pbr.)

Mudbox is very strong performance wize but 3Dcoat has a much richer toolset....

Actually Mari does have PBR support as of version 2.6

And yes, I was comparing it to 2D apps, but I don't think there's anything wrong with that? Strictly speaking in terms of brush control, why shouldn't 3DC strive to be as good for painting as those apps?

Edited by PolyHertz

• Reputable Contributor

Actually Mari does have PBR support as of version 2.6

And yes, I was comparing it to 2D apps, but I don't think there's anything wrong with that? Strictly speaking in terms of brush control, why shouldn't 3DC strive to be as good for painting as those apps?

I concur with the above statement.

3DCoat already mimics features that 2D paint programs have. I am not being critical of 3DC but that the Core Brush Engine has become outdated but that is an opinion of course. What was fine 5 years ago is now limiting. For anyone reading my first, do not take my first post as you can not produce good paint work from 3DC now...

The purpose of my post was if possible some of the features of modern 2D programs would be added to 3DC in a development schedule decided my Andrew...

If Andrew told us he was going to work on the Core Brush Engine and ask us to post our suggestions, I know doubt that the patter would be full since 2D brush engines have grown in power and feature sets that 3DC might be able to mimic...

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

Mari doesn't even have Symmetry painting because of its canvas painting approach. Also it needs quiet good PC to run well compared to 3d-coat and Mudbox.

The pro is that you would be able to work at much higher resolutions with less of a performance hit though. Pros and cons. If 3d coat were to offer mari like capability it would cover each apps weaknesses. Perhaps this can be done with a 2d paint room (or another aspect of the previewer window being a 2d paint surface) that can work at a much higher resolution and auto bake it onto the 3d mesh when done. That would probably catch a lot of attention. That said, I have Mari but really dislike painting in it, in part due to lack of true 3d painting and the setup needed to get going.