3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

OK, this is very strange. If open 3d coat and import OBJ or FBX (haven't tried other formats) and start painting I get seam visible seams across tiles. But if save this project as 3d-coat file, then open it and paint on new layer there'll be no seams.

Could you folks with UV seam painting issue please try deleting your configs (make sure to back up your custom configs if you have any) with 3DC closed, then restart and try again. Let us know if it works or not. Thanks!

Could you folks with UV seam painting issue please try deleting your configs (make sure to back up your custom configs if you have any) with 3DC closed, then restart and try again. Let us know if it works or not. Thanks!

Sorry, but where are those located?

• Reputable Contributor

Here it is. Exported from 3ds Max 2014 with options "Smoothing groups", "Convert Deforming Dummies to Bones", "Triangulate" and "Preserve Edge Orientation" on.

I tested the FBX file and had the same problems... Saving as a 3DC file corrected the problem so yes, that is strange...

Linux 64 bit non-cuda  (GL64) with a brand new install of 4.5.Beta15.

Sorry, but where are those located?

If you're on Windoze they are in %USERNAME%\Documents\3D-CoatV4\

Make sure to do this when 3DC is closed, delete the configs, then re-open 3DC.

• Advanced Member

As many times as having to clear settings comes up, it seems appropriate to simply put that functionality in...say, as a "Superfix" button or "clear settings" button, that users know may not always work, but often helps and will require an auto-restart of the program, if pressed or better yet, simply dynamically load new configs on the fly.

Edited by alvordr

• Advanced Member

I think that Sync Layers w/Ext. Editor and Edit All Layers in Ext. Editor are broken at the moment in the latest 4.5 Beta12A

Could anyone confirm this?

• Load model with multiple Surface Materials and UV-Sets & Mesh parts
  • attempt a sync with Photoshop or external editor.
  • make change in Editor and save Layers.PSD
  • attempt a second sync with a different UV-Set/Material
  • Make change in Editor and save
  • Notice in 3DCoat the wrong Material is altered.

I just had this issue with multiple UVsets editing externally in Ps. Really messed things up for me and couldn't get them back... :( 

I'm on 14A Mac version btw

• Advanced Member

I also just had 2 major crashes/system hangs after trying to click with the eyedropper tool on my paint model.

yeh ive been geting the same. i found that if you choose "sample by all layers " it wouldn't crash but I know thats not ideal workflow wize if you want to sample a color on a single layer :/ i'm sure a fix is on the way..

• Reputable Contributor

Please give the Beta build you are using plus whether is it DX , OpenGL, Cuda or non Cuda plus Windows, Mac or Linux.  Also check the short read me for each beta to see if your problem has been fixed...

This would help Andrew and others to look at possible bugs, etc...

And yes sometimes a bug that was fixed gets broken again in the Betas... The nature of beta testing...

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

That eye dropper bug should be fixed. I was experiencing it a few builds back, but Andrew fixed it.  Which build are you using where that is happening?

Beta 14 and Beta 15

crash reports were sent.

• Advanced Member

Still experiencing significant brush slow downs on 2048x2048 uv'd models in per-pixel painting. FPS viewport drops from 60 to 15-20 fps when brushing. Is anyone else experiencing this.

Linux x64, Ubuntu 14.04, 560gtx graphics

• Like 1

Thanks for fixing the Alpha Rendering, much appreciated :)

However there seems to be a new problem with the FOV settings, at least on my end changing them (and resetting them with RMB) seems to do nothing. Tried it both with an old file and a new scene.

Also i still cant get the Texture Offset Tool to work, but iam quite unsure wether its me doing something wrong or not. Would someone mind confirming this?

No longer have the FOV Problem and cannot reproduce it, so either it was fixed and is not on the list or i just messed something up in the first place :/

Dont know maybe it has happened because i was constantly changing cameras and stuff in the render room.

• Contributor

I have a little problem with roughness.

It looks wrong to me how it is calculated, if you work with the opacity of roughness.

Take a look at this.

post-24378-0-00889600-1428336884_thumb.j

A little test with roughness.

Left side is painted with 25% roughness and 100% roughness opacity, right side is paintet with 0% roughness and the roughness opacity is set to 75%.

Both looks similar and ok to me.

And now at this.

post-24378-0-59859000-1428336889_thumb.j

Left side is painted similar as above but the complede object is filled with it, so the right side have that values, too.

And right side is paintet same as above.

Looks like the Roughness is multiplied with the lower layer.

If i think about that, then yes, it should be correct, but i dont like that way how it works.

It is realy hard if you want to work in a nondestructive way. I think it would be better if top layers overwrite the lower layer values,

or some blending options to overwrite it because sometimes it is usefull to multiply some layers.

Could anybody explain me whats going wrong here or how to fix that?

Cheers

Malo

Still experiencing significant brush slow downs on 2048x2048 uv'd models in per-pixel painting. FPS viewport drops from 60 to 15-20 fps when brushing. Is anyone else experiencing this.

Linux x64, Ubuntu 14.04, 560gtx graphics

I am getting pretty much the same. No matter what brush I choose the brush strokes are lagging badly. I am on Windows 8.1 with an Nvidia 780SC. 

Hi again,

This seems to be another bug. When loading in a "Reference" mesh the mesh will show a animated checkerboard texture which makes it next to impossible to see what's going on when trying to retopo. When switching to a different shading mode Gloss or Specular only the object is obviously just flat and not helping either. So in other words, everything but "Smooth Shading" seems to work when importing a reference model.

2015-04-08_13h51_15.png

Hi Thomas: if you need... please try this workaround

Switch to Paint Room

Use ALT+F to toggle Reference mesh shading view

Back to Retoporoom

bug: ALT+F to toggle shading view is not working on Retopo Room

Bug: The Tiling function button for Stencils is no longer toggling tiling on/off.

Bug: There is no longer a gizmo controller appearing for Stencils. Correction for this one: It appears and disappears at strange, random moments.

Bug: Trying to access the "More" options of a Stencil (and PBR Material) with the project mode "From Camera" prohibits you from accessing the More options. You need to switch to Cube Mapping, Cylindrical, Spherical or UV.

Bug: When available, and using the viewport Gizmo for Stencils to translate/scale/rotate the stencil, the stencil disappears and sometimes flickers. Using the popup panel doesn't make the stencil disappear or flicker.

• Contributor

Loading *.hdr files no longer works in BETA15.

I get the following error message:

Not a TIFF or MDI file, bad magic number 16163 (0x3f23)

.hdr envmaps that I had already added to palette (in one of the earlier versions) are still there and can be loaded from it. But adding a new .hdr map through palette or Background menu doesn't work.

.exr files load just fine.

Anyone can confirm?

4.5 BETA16

- Occlusion for ppp/mv speeded up 7-10 times. It takes normalmap into account as well.

- Fixed problem of non-centered gizmo in 3d-lasso selection

- Fixed possible slowdown when switching between tools/rooms

- Pose tool Undo problem resolved

- Scaling/moving in UV window will scale/move material over uv window.

- fixed: materials gizmo is under docked UV window.

- Problem of ugly seams over multi-uv-ed model solved.

- camera->front/back/top/bottom... views in Z-up mode correspond to Rhino and other Z up editors.

- Snapping of E-mode splines/lasso points to vertical/horizontal/45 degrees lines with SHIFT

- If pure retopo mesh imported (in empty scene) it will be scaled in similar way as ppp mesh to avoid problem with tiny retopo mesh in scene.

- Seamless painting over mixed overlapped / non-ovelapped UV-s in case when symmetry turned on. For example, body is not overlapped, but two arms share same space on UV. Previously seamless painting in this case was impossible.

- UV room got better support of models with sharp edges (va moothing groups). Click on uv preview/face will select whle island, not separate face.

- Sphere tool works correctly in empty space

- Fill works with multiple UV sets

• Like 4