3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Contributor

Andrew, screen still flickers after each  LC/Rs strokes after a while on my side(BETA 16),

I cannot sculpt with screen flickering its too distracting :(

hope you can reproduce issue before releasing 4.5....I wish I could help you reproduce but there is really no special steps....

only clue is that It does not happens in 12A so it is specifically because of something changed in build 13...

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1826

Andrew, screen still flickers after each  LC/Rs strokes after a while on my side(BETA 16),

I cannot sculpt with screen flickering its too distracting :(

hope you can reproduce issue before releasing 4.5....I wish I could help you reproduce but there is really no special steps....

only clue is that It does not happens in 12A so it is specifically because of something changed in build 13...

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1826

Ok, tomorrow I will look&fix the issue. Missed it.
  • Like 1

• Contributor

@Andrew

Is there a way to replace this two fields

post-24378-0-65448100-1428743389_thumb.j

with that two fields in that tab?

post-24378-0-43569700-1428743427_thumb.j

I dont need Opacity for Roughness and Metallness in the first place in my layers.

Additional Roughness and Metalness is much more important in a non destructive workflow.

As far as i see, with Customize UI it is not possible.

Any ideas how i could solve that problem?

In "dDo" have the opportunity to work with colorID masks. I propose a sketch interface and algorithm with colorID.

1. Open colorID texture on this path:
Textures -> Import -> colorID

2. After selecting ColorID have three options for further work:

a. In LayerManadger automatically created group layers (ColorID Group), where the number of layers equal to the number of colors on ColorID mask. Each layer is associated with a different color on the mask.
The difference in this group that the layers can not edit it. They can only assign material. Each layer - a single material.
     b. Use ColoID without creating a group of layers.
     in a. Open the configuration file for the "ColorID Group".

3. The appointment of materials:

a. Select the material in the material
     b. Appoint and tiling mode rpoetsirovaniya
     c. Select a mask in the mask
     d. Assign tiling masks and the projection
     e. Press the button with the letter M (illustrated by)

Material and all settings will be associated with this layer.
All settings are saved when you export the settings to a file.

4. To work with layers in "ColorID Group" as well as with other layers: create new layers and new subgroups, move them, etc.
BUT: it is impossible to move the layers beyond "ColorID Group".

5. Each layer may be used as one or several ID.

6. Selection ID is made through color icon to the left of the layer name.
Clicking on the icon selection dialog colorID. It is a list of all colorID. The button "All" allows you to assign a layer for all ID and remove it from all ID. Selected ID highlighted by white frame.

7. Save settings "Color ID Group", I propose to make a separate file. This will allow to transfer settings from one project to another, or from one computer to another.
In the setting of preserved structure of layers and folders "ColorID Group", information about which materials are assigned to each layer and what their settings tiling, information about the designated masks.

8. I also think that in the configuration file is necessary to maintain the materials and textures attached to them. What would when transferring from one computer to not voznikalov problems with loss of materials.

9. If at startup settings "Color ID Group" in the project do not colorID mask, it opens a window for selecting the texture.

10. When you load settings "Color ID Group", the program automatically creates a folder "ColorID Group" and it forms the layer structure. Struktkra layers closely follows the saved file.

11. If there is no smear colorID, which is in a stored profile settings "ColorID Group", then the associated color layer you want to remove all colorID. Later, you can either remove this layer, or Assign him another colorID.

10. "Color ID Group" can be converted into an ordinary group of layers. Conversion occurs through the context menu when you right-click the group. Such layers can not be saved to a separate file settings "ColorID Group", but the ability to edit the layers are standard tools. In this case, all nested layers disappears button with the letter M. However, binding to colorID remains.

11. The layers are not related to "ColorID Group" can also be used colorID. But for them it appears a mask and information about these layers is not preserved when exporting settings "ColorID Group".

Below is a picture as I see how it can be added to the interface without big changes.
post-2369-0-76789300-1428761924_thumb.pn
Edited by marggob

Hi again,

This seems to be another bug. When loading in a "Reference" mesh the mesh will show a animated checkerboard texture which makes it next to impossible to see what's going on when trying to retopo. When switching to a different shading mode Gloss or Specular only the object is obviously just flat and not helping either. So in other words, everything but "Smooth Shading" seems to work when importing a reference model.

2015-04-08_13h51_15.png

This bug is still present. 

• Reputable Contributor

This bug is still present. 

Not to discount the importance of fixing this bug, but Andrew should just remove the option to import as Reference mesh, altogether....because it's an old legacy feature that has long since made obsolete by importing your mesh into the Sculpt room/workspace.

Can anyone confirm that using the brush "stamp" mode in the paint room, in surface mode, while using PBR materials, the model completely vanishes during painting. Version 16a...both OGL and DX modes. Actually...now I find that just using the "stamp" mode with just color is doing it too...

Win7 64,

Edited by fingers

• Advanced Member

Just want to give a thanks to Andrew for looking into speeding up Occlusion calculation.  Will give this a test today.

p.s. Just gave this a quick test and I am not getting a decent AO calculation.  Here's a quick image to explain.

OcclusionCalculation_zpslsqbhj9h.jpg

Even with a Post Smoothing Steps of 10 you can still see obvious individual Shadows cast by the lights.  How was the Original Ambient Occlusion layer on this model calculated for such a smooth result.   It doesn't seem right that I should ramp up the Post Smoothing Steps so high just to get a smooth bake.

Thoughts?

• Advanced Member

The occlusion calculation is already pretty unbearably slow compared to other baking engines e.g. Turtle, Substance Painter etc.

with 256 lights, I don't think we'll ever hit our deadlines.

I don't see why Andrew doesn't look into a geometry/raycast method for AO.  Is there a legitimate reason for this?  I'm merely curious..

3D Coat utilises spotlights to calculate occlusion in the Paint Room instead of a more traditional method.

Andrew recently implemented those influence spheres for local tweaking of raycasting scan depth.

Workaround

A Lighting setup for Occlusion

Old post asking about it

REAL Ambient Occlusion, Why we need it

• Advanced Member

Ok just tried a quick Bake in Turtle in Maya using this object.  Setup took around a minute.  Render time  8 seconds :o

OcclusionCalculation_Turtle_zpssupzllvn.

The two are practically identical.  With slightly higher settings the Turtle bake would be perfect.

• Advanced Member

Update:

OcclusionCalculation_3DC_zps4wgpgaka.jpg

At this point I'm giving up on this method for creating AO.  It's just not feasible.  The blotchiness artifacts that this method produces at acceptable render times isn't at all useful for our assets.

• Contributor

AO baking is useless without Hghpoly.

Starting directly with PPP sucks in most areas if AO is needed.

Curvature is fine, it have only problems with sharp edges as far as i see.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Not completely useless, but pretty useless if you're only doing game assets.

For example, I recently was painting on a SubD model with the subdivisions baked;  There was no high poly.

..and by the way Andrew has written in the release notes that the calculation takes into account a normal map that is applied to it.  I haven't tested the quality of this yet but I presume it'll give a similar result to CrazyBump.

Of course baking an AO map between arbitrary high and low res meshes will give you better quality results no doubt.

3DCoat baking needs modernising. 

• Contributor

I mostly create game assets, and i am not happy how it works now.

Mostly i switch to Substance Painter or Designer and did my painting there, but i would prefer if i could do most of the work in 3d coat.

• Advanced Member

Can someone please help explain to me why 3d-Coat becomes miserably slow when I zoom in on an object in any of the rooms? In order to do the detail work for retopology on a model I'm working on I need to be able to zoom in close enough to make slight adjustments, but when I zoom in even relatively close, the framerate instantly drops down to 10-13 fps. If not zoomed in it runs at about 40-50 fps. Granted I only have an Intel 3000 integrated graphics chip, but even so, why such a slowdown when zooming in? It didn't always use to be this way and is currently unusable for me. Thanks in advance for any info!

Can someone please help explain to me why 3d-Coat becomes miserably slow when I zoom in on an object in any of the rooms?

I'm not having that issue. Maybe it is local. You also may want to revert back to the stable version until the bugs are worked out.

• Like 1