3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

I just installed B17, It says "trial" on the top line?   What is going on?

I put a sphere in paint mode and still managed to make more than 7 layers ( was that the limited amount for the trial version?)

Anyone else get this?

Oh ,I guess with the "trial" you get the full amount of levels anyway.

But I have a full version...is this going to stop working at some point?

edit.  Tried uninstalling the serial and redoing it, still said "trial"   So I went back to Beta 12 ..."trial" has now disapeared?

Please write me to support, I need investigate the issue. There was some related changes, but droping to trial was never happening on all tests.

Have you really entered V4 key?

• Advanced Member

There is something awry with retopo snapping in general. I was adjusting a surface object with 'Conform Retopo Mesh' activated. I have to adjust the retopo cage because some of the vertices are not snapped to the surface anymore, but it doesn't really work.

The vertices do not snap to the surface. 'Snap' function in Retopo Room has no effect. 

Screen capture: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0l7cfnhxk4yWUdUdy1rT183UTA/view?usp=sharing

• Advanced Member

I'm not seeing the same key issue on Linux, version 16A.

Just downloaded version 17 for Linux and again didn't have any issues with my key (educational).  

Edited by Grimm

• Advanced Member

I don't have (trial) text in my 3D-COAT 4.5.BETA17 (GL64) and (DX64). When program launches it shows (demo) in program title but then (demo) disappears in 2-3 seconds. Maybe this text stays longer in case of bad connection to the Pilgway website.

I dont know where support address is Andrew ,but I dont think there is anything else to add to what I said.

Yes I uninstalled Key, and got the reminder key email sent ,It was the same key as I had. But B12 is ok.

A few others seem to have it also.

support AT 3d-coat DOT com

• Contributor

I don't have (trial) text in my 3D-COAT 4.5.BETA17 (GL64) and (DX64). When program launches it shows (demo) in program title but then (demo) disappears in 2-3 seconds. Maybe this text stays longer in case of bad connection to the Pilgway website.

I don't have this problem too. Guys, have you tried deleting license.dat file and re-entering the license number? Or maybe deleting preferences? Or deleting all preferences but the license.dat file? These are the first things I'd try if something like this came up.

I think I have all of the default sculpt room shaders too.

post-12523-0-42442400-1429652145_thumb.j

P.S. The "(demo)" suffix also briefly shows up on my system when I launch 3D-Coat. If memory serves me right, it was always like this.

• Like 1

• Contributor

As ajz3d correctly says , (demo) comes ups first , -- always --, and then it says (educational) in my case , and nothing on the full version i think (or at least what i see from others people screenshots.

Edited by Michaelgdrs

• Reputable Contributor

There is something awry with retopo snapping in general. I was adjusting a surface object with 'Conform Retopo Mesh' activated. I have to adjust the retopo cage because some of the vertices are not snapped to the surface anymore, but it doesn't really work.

The vertices do not snap to the surface. 'Snap' function in Retopo Room has no effect. 

Screen capture: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0l7cfnhxk4yWUdUdy1rT183UTA/view?usp=sharing

"Conform Retopo Mesh" is only intended to conform the retopo mesh to the voxel/surface mode object when working in the Sculpt room...and only works when using the TRANSFORM, MOVE or POSE tool.

I dont know where support address is Andrew ,but I dont think there is anything else to add to what I said.

Yes I uninstalled Key, and got the reminder key email sent ,It was the same key as I had. But B12 is ok.

A few others seem to have it also.

My questions are:

1) After launching B17 with registered key do you see the dialog with 3 buttons - Register, Buy, Free trial? What messages do you see? It is better to show screenshot.

2) Are you able to export anything from File menu?

3) Does (trial) appears on the top immediately or after some time? What time approximately?

I am at support@3d-coat.com

It is super important for me to fix this asap.

• Advanced Member

"Conform Retopo Mesh" is only intended to conform the retopo mesh to the voxel/surface mode object when working in the Sculpt room...and only works when using the TRANSFORM, MOVE or POSE tool.

I am aware of this, I was only using the Move tool in sculpt room. Some of the vertices of the retopo mesh were not snapped to the sculpted mesh anymore afterwards nonetheless, and I could not snap them back. Will probably export the retopo + highres meshes, and do the snapping in Modo.

Edited by wilson66

• Reputable Contributor

I am aware of this, I was only using the Move tool in sculpt room. Some of the vertices of the retopo mesh were not snapped to the sculpted mesh anymore afterwards nonetheless, and I could not snap them back. Will probably export the retopo + highres meshes, and do the snapping in Modo.

What it looked like in your video, is that some of the verts somehow had gotten well beneath the surface of the voxel object, and 3D Coat will struggle with those. It can snap properly if the verts are above the surface, but not beneath it.

• Advanced Member

What it looked like in your video, is that some of the verts somehow had gotten well beneath the surface of the voxel object, and 3D Coat will struggle with those. It can snap properly if the verts are above the surface, but not beneath it.

This sounds like not a big deal, but is a major annoyance really. Of course snapping needs to work also when retopo vertices are below the voxel surface, and/or the 'Conform Retopo Mesh' feature needs to be far more precise. The object cannot simply be scaled outward and then snapped back, polys need to be pushed outward in their normal direction (which is not possible to my knowledge? Or is it?), which will create other problems in dense areas with surface facing in different directions (overlapping).

I have a characters face with a retopology object already in existence, and need to adjust the proportions of the voxel/ surface model. I need to adjust the eye area, and the retopo mesh simply blows apart in that area, needs defacto to be recreated entirely. Not good at all.

• Reputable Contributor

This sounds like not a big deal, but is a major annoyance really. Of course snapping needs to work also when retopo vertices are below the voxel surface, and/or the 'Conform Retopo Mesh' feature needs to be far more precise. The object cannot simply be scaled outward and then snapped back, polys need to be pushed outward in their normal direction (which is not possible to my knowledge? Or is it?), which will create other problems in dense areas with surface facing in different directions (overlapping).

I have a characters face with a retopology object already in existence, and need to adjust the proportions of the voxel/ surface model. I need to adjust the eye area, and the retopo mesh simply blows apart in that area, needs defacto to be recreated entirely. Not good at all.

Watch those videos I linked to, in order to see how to deal with snapping issues effectively. They used to be a problem for me, too. If you change the snapping type to OUTER SURFACE, it may help a bit more, in that situation.

Hi Wilson.

I tried to reproduce your problem with a similar scene, but had no problems.

If you are able to do it, send me your 3b-scene or post it to a secure server. I would like to see if it happen here on my workstation too.

Best wishes

Chris

• Contributor

About shaders:

We removed many shaders to concentrae attention on PBR, but if some shaders are really important, I may restore.

Lamblight is a really good shader to get  nice clay look and it has pseudo-sub surface scattering so its really good for skin too.

(until we get true sss shader of course).

Also are you able to reproduce superbright PBR preview bug mentioned on last page (page 51)by me ,Javis and others if you need a file tell me...I'll send one (its a little big 800mb but it was originally much bigger,I deleted a few objects to make it smaller...) 

My questions are:

1) After launching B17 with registered key do you see the dialog with 3 buttons - Register, Buy, Free trial? What messages do you see? It is better to show screenshot.

2) Are you able to export anything from File menu?

3) Does (trial) appears on the top immediately or after some time? What time approximately?

I am at support@3d-coat.com

It is super important for me to fix this asap.

1) No dialog

2) Yes

3) After about 30 Seconds

5537ca88be62f.png

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Lamblight is a really good shader to get  nice clay look and it has pseudo-sub surface scattering so its really good for skin too.

(until we get true sss shader of course).

Also are you able to reproduce superbright PBR preview bug mentioned on last page (page 51)by me ,Javis and others if you need a file tell me...I'll send one (its a little big 800mb but it was originally much bigger,I deleted a few objects to make it smaller...) 

Also the 'low smooth shade' mode is very useful for painting and would be great to have back.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Regarding the Trial tag showing up.... I also counted around 27-30 seconds before it appeared. Doesnt matter the mode. It didnt affect the number of layers, resolution or export options... so it appears to have no negative effect other than showing up in the header.

Regarding shaders, to be honest I find most of the default ones to be extremely bad. Better to just have it link to a folder with normal matcap images. A few of the default ones do seem useful, but mostly I just find myself using matcaps.

• Like 1