3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Contributor

Something goes wrong when I import external roughness via Textures->Import->Roughness. It correctly inverses roughness to glossiness in the Texture editor, but in the viewport, if I view the glossiness with Gloss/roughness only, I am shown with roughness instead of glossiness. And this is how it renders inside the Render Room and how it exports. Sorry, acually it's the other way around. It doesn't invert roughness in the Texture Editor, but it does so in the viewport. However it still exports roughness as glossiness instead of roughness (with roughness toggle selected in the rough/metalness workflow). It also doesn't render as it should.

I'm using Beta17 at the moment because I don't have time to move all my settings to 19 (Migration Master didn't work well for me), so maybe this was fixed in Beta19. Can anyone confirm this?

Edited by ajz3d

• Advanced Member

Migration Master did not copy all of my preferences. What it left out is: UI colours, general preferences, hotkeys, custom navigation settings and presets, page layouts, list of recent files, scripts, retopo colour palette, custom files (like textures/checker1.tga nad textures/checker2.tga that I used to overwrite the default checkers) and possibly some other things which I didn't notice yet.

---

EDIT: Added some more items that didn't migrate.

happens on mine as well. just manually copyed my 4 folder over my 45 and its all there now..... 

• Contributor

I wonder if all Migration Master does is copying contents of the preferences folder. Maybe there's something more going on in the background, maybe xml structure changed or something? Otherwise what would be the advantage of using it over performing a simple copy operation?

• Advanced Member

With the latest BETA19 build my 3ds max AppLink stoped to remember Path and Folder paths between 3ds max sessions. Every time I want to use AppLink I have to setup paths again. Is there a way to fix it on my side?

Update. It looks like AppLink script needs to be updated. There are some text strings which point to 3D-CoatV4 instead of 3D-CoatV45.

if (findString pathtoIO "3D-CoatV4\\Exchange\\")==undefined then (
    a=pathConfig.convertPathToAbsolute "meshes"
    t=(findString a "Documents")+9
    tt=(substring a 1 t)+"3D-CoatV4\\Exchange\\"
    if (doesFileExist tt) then pathtoIO=tt
   )

Update 2. I have updated AppLink script. Here is the file attached with updated AppLink script to work correct with 3D-CoatV45 folder. Drag and drop file 3DS_AppLink.mzp to 3ds max window, restart 3ds max.
Edited by Vipera

• Advanced Member

RMB Zoom has reversed with latest 4.5 folder migration version (Or possibly lost MY customization info and reverted). Cant seem to figure out where the zoom direction is modified?

Anyone know where this is controlled or which of the old xml files carried the information for controlling it?

Also, pretty sure my wheel mouse would zoom also, if not over the object at which point it would modify brush size etc.....  Did the wheel mouse used to zoom the viewport? Mine is not.

Edited by BurrMan

4.5 BETA20:

- "Save as new" button in material editor.

- Freeze tool in paint room supports pen pressure and tapering in all paint modes.

- PBR materials replaced with Smart materials in texts

- Fixed lasso painting in ppp with symmetry - artifacts was very probable.

- fixed picker of gloss/metalness in vertex paint mode

- Roughness correctly shown in Texture editor.

- Roughness/Metalness set as default approach

- Fixed migration master to be copy all marked information correctly.

• Like 4

• Advanced Member

I am having a weird thing happen with the installer for 4.5.20. It's all in French.

EDIT: It's not just the installer, it's also all of 3D-Coat's UI.

Maybe you used Migration tool too much.  :p:

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I am having very different result for shadows in Render room in 3DC GL version to compare with 3DC DX. Here is the realtime render of  GL version (please note the shadow artifacts in center part of the object):

3_DC4_5beta20_GL64.png

Here is the DX version. Everything looks fine:

3_DC4_5beta20_DX64.png

My video card is GeForce GTX 660Ti, Driver version 347.88

Edited by Vipera

About shaders:

We removed many shaders to concentrae attention on PBR, but if some shaders are really important, I may restore.

Working folder changed, so at first glance it looks like data blown away, but iy is kept in old 3D-CoatV4 folder to be used with previous version.

New data is in 3D-CoatV45 folder.

It is generally more safe way of transition.

Use Help > Migration Master.

• Reputable Contributor

Can we get an icon + tool tips for VoxRay, and tool tips for all the Live Clay brushes before releasing 4.5? It seems rather un-polished to leave some half-finished tools occupying space in the UI...not to mention frustrating for new and even experienced users to see and have to guess at what it is/does.

CopyClay is a good example. There is almost no way to determine on your own how it is supposed to work...at least not fully. Now that Raul is in the US, can he add the tool-tips for the release?

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the info carlosan,

Can you speak to loading some of those old ones in? For instance "Dirty Stone" I can find in the old folders, however just loading that folder (with 2 tga's in it) doesn't show up in the list.

I added the 5 files from one of the current shaders and it shows, though those 5 files are obviously config files and the shader doesn't display properly.

I've seen some other users screenshots with all the old shaders loaded. Did they just rebuild them manually?

• Advanced Member

I think this bug's been buzzing around for a while, but in the beta, when you copy an image and paste it into the Color Palette, the colours are all wonky. Looks like blue and red are reversed or something. Loading an image works ok, just C+P is strange.

post-37883-0-86066700-1431867517_thumb.p

In the last BETA doesn't work the most regimes of degree in the smart material properties. On preview mode (i mean the sphere preview) everything is fine, but on the model and on Smart material preview doesn't work.((

Update: Hmm ..Everything is OK for premade models. But on my model it is not working. Tool doesn't feel sharp edges and paint it entirely
Edited by Alco3d

I think this bug's been buzzing around for a while, but in the beta, when you copy an image and paste it into the Color Palette, the colours are all wonky. Looks like blue and red are reversed or something. Loading an image works ok, just C+P is strange.

What OS? I tried on Win and all works as expected.

In the last BETA doesn't work the most regimes of degree in the smart material properties. On preview mode (i mean the sphere preview) everything is fine, but on the model and on Smart material preview doesn't work.((

Update: Hmm ..Everything is OK for premade models. But on my model it is not working. Tool doesn't feel sharp edges and paint it entirely

Please drop me model to support@3d-coat.com

I am having very different result for shadows in Render room in 3DC GL version to compare with 3DC DX

Is this the only visual artifact that you have in GL mode? Are there any warnings/errors when building shaders on your system in the file “This PC/Documents/3D-CoatV45/Log.txt”? Do you see the same artifact in “Render” mode on standard voxel models from startup dialog?

Can we get an icon + tool tips for VoxRay, and tool tips for all the Live Clay brushes before releasing 4.5? It seems rather un-polished to leave some half-finished tools occupying space in the UI...not to mention frustrating for new and even experienced users to see and have to guess at what it is/does.

CopyClay is a good example. There is almost no way to determine on your own how it is supposed to work...at least not fully. Now that Raul is in the US, can he add the tool-tips for the release?

You already know the answer to that question don, it's in the queue. It's also my task, not Raul's.

• Advanced Member

Is this the only visual artifact that you have in GL mode? Are there any warnings/errors when building shaders on your system in the file “This PC/Documents/3D-CoatV45/Log.txt”? Do you see the same artifact in “Render” mode on standard voxel models from startup dialog?

Yes, there are only GL version shadows artifacts. This is hard to say if there are shadows artifacts on standard models but shadow is definitely different in DX and GL 3DC versions. Here is the log.txt file for GL version attached. 

Log.zip

Edited by Vipera

• Advanced Member

What OS? I tried on Win and all works as expected.

I'm on Mac OS X 10.9.5. I tried some other tests and it seems to work OK from some sources (e.g. copying an image from Evernote), but if I copy and paste an image from Safari or Firefox (e.g. google images) I get reversed colour issue. Pasting the same clipboard to Photoshop looks as expected.

• Advanced Member

Hi Carlosan,

Yes, I have the entire list of old shaders in my old folders. They are aslo in the new 45 folder. I think my issue is my install is reading from program files folder... If I put the shader in that folder structure, it will only appear if I add the other five files from one of the existing shaders in that program files folder....

I've added the environment variable and also a text file in my installation root (Instructed in the save theme dialogue) to my user documents, but my install continues to read the program files folder...

Not sure what's up..

Edited by BurrMan

• Advanced Member

I have been trying out the Beta20 Linux version and it looks like the "trial" bug in the window header is back.  It appeared after I registered my license, don't know exactly how fast it showed up but it was pretty quick.  

Jason

Edited by Grimm