3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

4.5.RC1 (Release candidat)

- Color swatches work correctly - edit/insert/etc, adding new color leads to immediate saving.

- Fill tool gradient points are pickable even over empty space.

- Reset material to factory defaults will not crash material editor, Resed button present in material editor.

- Removed rest of glossiness mentioning in roughness approach (Edit->Edit all roughness layers, Layers->Import/export menu).

- fixed undo and layer opacity issue #0001748

- Fixed crashes in Japanese version.

- Optional greyscale mode for panormamas introduced to avoid colors distortion. Look View->Greyscale panorama.

- Import roughness works correctly.

- More accureate and non-spotty work of freeze in paint room.

This is very close to release (planned at 25 May). So I tried to polish all as much as possible.

• Like 5

• Advanced Member

Environment map doesn't show up in viewport in Orthographic view. I can see it only in Perspective view. I spent some time to figure out why I cannot see the environment map in viewport. Is it bug or feature? This difference is a bit confusing.

Don't you think that 'Greyscale panorama' checkbox  would be better to place in panorama selection menu instead of View menu?

PS. I hope 3DC 5.0 will get better, intuitive and more organized UI to compare to what we have now. There are too many duplicated buttons in UI right now which do same function but located in the different places of UI. Please make UI changes as a priority for 3DC 5.0 release.

Edited by Vipera

You guys are doing an epic software product, great respect for this!  I have some suggestion for improvement -  Could you make an opportunity to drug as floater the window  "Texture Editor" on the second monitor?

• Advanced Member

Wooo awesome stuff on hitting RC.

I really hope we can start to see some solid improvements to the paint-room core features moving forward however. PBR was a great start, but there is a bunch of suggestions in mantis and trello that would be great to implement that relate to improvements of "core" functions. i.e. improvements to:  layer masks, brushes,  document adjustments/levels/curves etc, color picker improvements etc. Basically improving the foundations to make it a stronger painting experience. 

again, congrats on hitting RC, 3dcoat gets better and better with each update! 

Edited by Boonta

• Advanced Member

The problem with the renderer. Mixed voxel/surfacey object with the background when you render. With Lowpoly everything is ok.

Here is an example post-38043-0-35112900-1432302209_thumb.jpost-38043-0-95315200-1432302212_thumb.j

Edited by Cleitus

• Advanced Member

You are moving all textures and noise.

I am thinking about removing that RMB action. Gizmo is enough imo.

Please don't remove right-mouse dragging of texture placement! Moving the texture placement with right mouse is far faster than using the gizmo.

Right mouse: Click-drag

vs

Gizmo: Move mouse to gizmo, click-drag

A small difference like this adds up over thousands of actions.

... shadow is definitely different in DX and GL 3DC versions.

According to the log file the shaders have been compiled without problems. Please test rendering on standard models from startup dialog Voxel Sculpting > “Figure” or “Bust” and post the results.

• Reputable Contributor

Please don't remove right-mouse dragging of texture placement! Moving the texture placement with right mouse is far faster than using the gizmo.

Right mouse: Click-drag

vs

Gizmo: Move mouse to gizmo, click-drag

A small difference like this adds up over thousands of actions.

But it also creates conflict with using RMB over the Texture Editor. Perhaps CTRL + RMB to move Materials/Stencils, as a solution?

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I hope this easy to fix bug will be fixed before 4.5 release. http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1863

'Refresh preview' for PBR materials saves new preview image of PBR material with the current viewport lighting instead of default. It means that even same material will look different when it saved under different light condition. I think all PBR preview images have to be saved with one default lighting.

All 3d programs show materials in material editor with the same light condition what helps to compare them and see their difference between each other. 

Do you think there are two different materials below?

Clipboard01.png

No. There are two absolutely same materials but right material preview was created with the another environment map and light intensity. How can we compare different materials if we can't compare same material?

Edited by Vipera
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

But it also creates conflict with using RMB over the Texture Editor. Perhaps CTRL + RMB to move Materials/Stencils, as a solution?

I do agree. This is very confusing. 

1. RMB moves PBR textures while PBR preview is ON.

2. Turn ON any stencils. RMB starts to move stencil.

3. Turn OFF stencil but PBR preview is still ON. RMB starts to zoom in/out painted object.

Edited by Vipera

• Contributor

Any chance this will make it into 3D-Coat before the release of V4.5?

0001728: Add metalness ball icon for toggling painting with metalness: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1728

Also, how about some means of rotating the environment in all axes, instead of just one? Most envmaps probes have dark floor, so it's difficult to see what is going on at the bottom side of the model/sculpture because it's always in the shadows or bland lighting.

• Like 2

• Contributor

Another thing. The thumbnails of Smart Materials are updated upon pressing the "Save" button. This leads to inconsistency between the rest of thumbnails, because usually when texturing, you constantly switch between various envmaps, not to mention that you rotate them a lot. So you end up with materials' thumbnails generated in completely different lighting conditions! This is really BAD, because the thumbnails say nothing about the materials!

I think it would be best if users could provide a path to a specific envmap and define its exact rotation in the preferences and only update it on demand (by pressing an update button or sth similar). Or maybe, for a more intuitive UX, set the envamp and rotate it as usual in the viewport, and then press some button that will store the envmap's path and the orientation as default for thumbnail generation, so no textual and numerical input is necessary.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1