3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

Guest pnog

After update to 4.5.03:

- 3DC still display version: "4.5.02";

- no info text "Press ESC or Space to stop. Rays: ..." in Render screen.

Also, AddCheckBox() show only approx 5 chars of label.

Guest pnog

Sorry guys.

Now there are no problems with version and info text.

But AddCheckBox("var_name") still display only approx. 5 first chars of string "var_name".

One thing I'd like to see in a future build if possible, if the auto-seams in the Retopo room could be less messy on curved objects.  Sometimes I have a rather complex object that I don't care what the seems look like, such as a 3D scan, and while I don't care it would be nice if I didn't have a million single polygon islands. Perhaps a rule cold be set so that there are no islands with fewer than, 20 polys or something.

• Like 2

• Contributor

One thing I'd like to see in a future build if possible, if the auto-seams in the Retopo room could be less messy on curved objects.  Sometimes I have a rather complex object that I don't care what the seems look like, such as a 3D scan, and while I don't care it would be nice if I didn't have a million single polygon islands. Perhaps a rule cold be set so that there are no islands with fewer than, 20 polys or something.

sometimes using angle method with wide angles gives nice result on more organic meshes.

• Contributor

Its called "sharp seams" ...I tried it with different angles on creature.obj and its not super helpful so nevermind my suggestion :) ,

its really more suited for hardsurface ..even though with some angle values I was to get fewer islands than the usual auto seams its still feel like I would have achieved better/faster results by just drawing a few seams using path marking.

• Reputable Contributor

Painting with Steady Stroke doesn't work with angle constrain (holding shift). This may not be exclusive to 4.5, but I don't have an old version around to try with.

Why would you want two simultaneous constraints while brushing? The SHIFT key angle constraint steadies your stroke as it is. That is it's specific purpose. Steady Stroke will mess with some functions if you forget to turn it off. Not a good idea to use both, IMHO.

Its called "sharp seams" ...I tried it with different angles on creature.obj and its not super helpful so nevermind my suggestion :) ,

its really more suited for hardsurface ..even though with some angle values I was to get fewer islands than the usual auto seams its still feel like I would have achieved better/faster results by just drawing a few seams using path marking.

Yeah I tried it and thought "this can't possibly be the tool he means.". LOL :rofl:

• Advanced Member

Version: 4.5.03

Export any object format using the Gloss/Color Specular Worklfow, the color image is just black.

Can someone replicate this?

Greets Tom

I have checked and everything works fine. What format do you use for export? I tried .tga and .psd formats. If you use .psd format then open your .psd file in Photoshop to check the color map.

• Advanced Member

I have modeled a characters face in 3D Coat, retopologized it, and now have a problem I already had in previous versions of 3D Coat: the brush in Retopo Room (and other retopo tools also) reacts to objects that are - although hidden! - in front of the object I actually want to edit.

Meaning: I'm looking at the head of the character from behind, I need to edit polygons that are on the back side of an object on the characters face, but because the head is actually in between in front of that object, the brush snaps to the backside of the head, although both high-res and retopo-objects are hidden in both the VoxTree and the Retopo Objects lists. Deleting polygons works, but the 'Rotate around Last Draw Point' also 'snaps' to the back of the head instead of the polygons I actually click on, making navigation difficult.

This is very, very annoying and makes it necessary to export the high-res and retopo objecst to another app, do the edits there, and then import the retopo mesh back into 3D Coat. 

It would be very nice if this could be fixed in a future version of 3D Coat. The retopo tools should, obviously, not react to hidden geometry. It makes certain edits to the retopo mesh impossible.

Edited by wilson66

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Great. I just lost a whole VoxTree layer. I kept it as a proxy and when I tried to restore it from this mode, 3D-Coat emptied the layer.

So, I guess that the proxy mode is still not safe to use.

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

Yeah, I'm writing the e-mail as we speak.

I have inspected file sizes of the corrupted file and the most recent incremental file that works (and has this layer proxied). There is a difference of 800MB in favour of the working file, so the original (non-proxied) geometry is most likely not present at all in the corrupted file. The proxy is displayed and can be edited, though.

• Contributor

E-mail sent. Hopefully Andrew will be able to pinpoint the cause of the problem.

Luckily for me, the corrupted proxy layer was just a temporary layer I made to act as a reference for retopo stuff.

I think that from now on, just to be on the safe side, I will be making a backup copy of each layer that I intend to proxy, and delete the backup only after I safely return the layer to its original state.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 2

Updated to 4.5.04

- Auto retopology quality improved. Still does not like too much guides.

- very important problem of snapping retopo vertices to back faces of retopo mesh fixed.

- Indenting in paint curve tool with CTRL recovered

- Fixed problem with unweld vertices in SymmCopy command in surface mode.

- Fixed a lot of problems of automapping over very complex objects. It is important for AO/light maps over levels/complex objects.

- Old-style quadrangulation restored as is for those who liked it.

- Flat subdivision in "Import" tool for facetng.

- Scrpting got major update, classes Mat4, Vec3 introduced, first functions to use them - SetCurVolumeTransform, GetCurVolumeTransform

- Retopo room: single tweaked point always snaps to visible surface and vever dives into surface.

- Fixed problem of leaking projection from potoshop to backgliund layer if distance between layers is small.

New sripting documentation:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17cwZAOxv6Hbt86-ktPv5uJBLJ4-7TdWFIjJUc_FV7_s/edit?usp=sharing

For some time I was in vacation, also qudrangulation experiments took some time...

• Like 3

E-mail sent. Hopefully Andrew will be able to pinpoint the cause of the problem.

Luckily for me, the corrupted proxy layer was just a temporary layer I made to act as a reference for retopo stuff.

I think that from now on, just to be on the safe side, I will be making a backup copy of each layer that I intend to proxy, and delete the backup only after I safely return the layer to its original state.

Thanks for taking the time to report. :)

Updated to 4.5.04

- very important problem of snapping retopo vertices to back faces of retopo mesh fixed.

- Fixed a lot of problems of automapping over very complex objects. It is important for AO/light maps over levels/complex objects.

- Scrpting got major update, classes Mat4, Vec3 introduced, first functions to use them - SetCurVolumeTransform, GetCurVolumeTransform

- Retopo room: single tweaked point always snaps to visible surface and vever dives into surface.

- Fixed problem of leaking projection from potoshop to backgliund layer if distance between layers is small.

For some time I was in vacation, also qudrangulation experiments took some time, so

Thanks Andrew! Was the bug with the Poly Stroke mode fixed also?

• Contributor

Updated to 4.5.04

For some time I was in vacation, also qudrangulation experiments took some time, so

really strong improvement in autoretopo!!! 

still feels experimental tough (getting holes in mesh if polycount is too low and hard surface mode and guides are not super useful,sometimes even small amount of guides give not so good result compared to without guides)

I get very,very good results using polycounts above 300 for very simple shapes and above 2000 polys for more intricate pieces

(I try to stay lopoly as much possible)

best result recipe for me:

cloning meshes and converting to voxels in the 100k-300k range,

then using ; maximum quality setting,  75% details capturing, no decimation,no tangent smoothing ,no guides ,no density modulation.

for very thin parts I use Extrude of 1or2 to beef the volumes a little bit before  launching the autoretopology.

Possibly results are  even better when aiming for higner polycounts (5k and more) but Im more interested in lower polycounts atm.

Its defintly MUCH better than previous version but still not as forgiving than zremesher. Also Raul's closehole tool is pretty cool and really complementary (altough sometimes I need to hover outside the hole to close it)

Please remind what do you mean, there was so many fixes that possibly I missed in the list.

Hey man. It's this one:

When attempting to use the Poly Stroke mode in the Paint Room with the Freeze Tool, the tool uses the last selected Pressure Stroke mode you had selected. It no longer respects the Poly Stroke mode as it was.