3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Contributor

GTX 470 350.12 everything works fine except this memory leak that eats my ram in seconds and i cant open my scenes at all.

Can someone point me to the previous version so i can download it please?

Thank you.

Doing a little auto retopo on a project and I notice when I use the Hard Surface option especially with Smooth Resulting Mesh on, it makes an awful mess of the polygons. I'm not sure if this is new, I've never really tried the Hard Surface option before.

post-466-0-31056400-1437512348_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

ugh ok cheers AbnRanger. seems like a cool feature to have. similar to editing alpha's etc in zbrush. Well i put a mantis request in so hopefully it will get addressed in the future. I really hope paintroom will get a solid pass on it soon. There is still a long way to go and substance painter is fast catching up. Freezing is still messed up in PBR viewport. cant hide the mask or remove the harsh black visual look. viewpoint rendering improvements, brushes, adjustments etc. 

ive been documenting improvments/bugs here throw in your suggestions AbnRanger/others if u have any:

Paintroom Improvements/Bugs:

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14837

Edited by Boonta

It isn't a bug. Stencils have never had that functionality....although I have asked Andrew for it repeatedly.

That's incorrect, they did have that functionality. It is broken, and has been broken for some time. I reported this to Andrew a long time ago.

• Reputable Contributor

That's incorrect, they did have that functionality. It is broken, and has been broken for some time. I reported this to Andrew a long time ago.

You are wrong. It hasn't had that functionality FOR YEARS. I know cause I have asked Andrew personally multiple times for it. Only materials had it.

• Reputable Contributor

Let me re-phrase that....MASKS (now called STENCILS) NEVER HAD the options available in the MORE section of Preview Options Panel. I explained to Andrew repeatedly that we needed it to adjust the brightness and contrast like we can with the MATERIALS pallet. It has fallen on deaf ears, thus far.

• Reputable Contributor

We also need the ability to turn Tiling off with Stencils, like we can with Smart Materials. This is part of what I was saying about inconsistency between like tools, throughout 3D Coat. FFD lattices in the Pose tool don't have the same ability to add an arbitrary number of control points, like one has in the Primitives tool. The TRANSFORM gizmos in the Sculpt and Retopo Room are drastically different than the old ones in the Tweak Room.

• Advanced Member

AO calculation in newest beta often produces extremely splotchy, unusable result:

What could be the reason?

Could you try to scale your model up and bake AO again for the test, please?

• Advanced Member

Can you please make brush rotation stored PER BRUSH and not global ?? 

additional request bring the brush system closer to the feel and customizational abilities of photoshop. 

Edited by Boonta

Sorry but... its a bug or feature request ?

i need to confirm the status in Mantis

ty in advance

Considering it's a broken feature, it's a bug. Don doesn't recall correctly. Not sure why he's making such a big deal about it.  :crazy:

Can you please make brush rotation stored PER BRUSH and not global ?? 

additional request bring the brush system closer to the feel and customizational abilities of photoshop. 

You can store the brush rotation angle already in the presets.

It is a good way to store the rotation global, as long as you don't save your brush. This is not photoshop but works more flexible.

There is a difference between the "Alphas" tab and the Presets window. The alphas store just the brush tip image, NOT the brush options!

Just for understanding. Don't interchange this please.

The different brushes you know from photoshop are actually stored in the Presets window in 3D-Coat. In 3D-Coat you have the additional functionality to change the brush tip on the fly by selecting a different alpha image in the "Alphas" tab. After an Alpha selection you get a new brush tip but don't loose your individual brush options. And if you like your selected brush, you can save it in the Presets window for every day use.

• Reputable Contributor

I tested on both 4.0 and 4.1 and neither work....just. like. I. said. However, I stumbled upon a hack/trick to make it work! Click on a Smart Material > click on the MORE button in the Preview Options panel. Leave it open. Now, click on a Stencil, and magically the MORE button stays open. Nevertheless, this needs to be fixed, as it is important in some cases, to adjust the brightness or contrast.

https://vimeo.com/134352514

https://vimeo.com/134354919

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

You can store the brush rotation angle already in the presets.

It is a good way to store the rotation global, as long as you don't save your brush. This is not photoshop but works more flexible.

There is a difference between the "Alphas" tab and the Presets window. The alphas store just the brush tip image, NOT the brush options!

Just for understanding. Don't interchange this please.

The different brushes you know from photoshop are actually stored in the Presets window in 3D-Coat. In 3D-Coat you have the additional functionality to change the brush tip on the fly by selecting a different alpha image in the "Alphas" tab. After an Alpha selection you get a new brush tip but don't loose your individual brush options. And if you like your selected brush, you can save it in the Presets window for every day use.

ohhh interesting... ill check this out. i think ive been coming at the brushes totally from the wrong perspective. it was weird though how 99% of the options were tied to the alpha except for rotation. 

i still feel there are certain options that photoshop has for brushes that could be nice to see in 3d coats paintroom brushes. photoshop defiantly has a nicer "feel" + a few advanced features for its brush toolset.

dual brush

texture

advanced shape dynamics (angle jitter for example doesnt work as nicely as in photoshop. its to random and at 0% variation no effect is made via pressure of the pen no where near as nice of a flow )

etc.

etc

Edited by Boonta

I think proxy reduction is a great thing...the main issue (besides exploding if you use the scratches tools) is that decimation doesn't faithfully propagate back up to the original sculpt whatever sculpting you do in that mode generally gets washed out too much...so 'reduction' is a better option,..the only problem with that is that 2x is often still too low poly for most things other than macro changes...and it doesn't take into account whatever tessellation happens from remove stretching or live clay...if this aspect of 3d coat can be improved to account for these issues...i think it would be a HUGE upgrade,..i think everyone who loves subdivisions in zbrush would find a lot of interest in this.  I know this is probably a tough thing to work on; perhaps a good compromise would be to allow for reduction options less than 2x, like 1.2, etc....I'm not a programmer I dont know if this is even possible,..but if it is that would be great.

thanks,

-Josh