3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

great news about the refactoring.. i must to confess that i stopped to use 3dcoat because of the insane poor performance on my computer., not only for that but this is themost restrictive issue i got with 3dc..

Andrew, can you tell us more about what half-open-source mean for you ?

opening 3dcoat for plugin authoring is a good thing that I already had suggested on this forum, because it would be impossible to compete with Zbrush without the help of third parties developers.

If half open source mean that there will be a module,  manager, an software kit devlopmentsdk and a git repository onto the one we could commit a pull request , that's fine.

• Like 1

Did a complete/clean reinstall of 4.5.08 and OpenCL is still missing from the roll out menu.

I dont think that qualify as a safe build.

artman reading your post I tried today and the option disappeared again.

For get back the option:

- I open 3d-coat and select "paint UV mapped Mesh" per-pixel paint (Robot);

- Only cpu option appear;

- I closed 3d-coat and open again, but  this time I select "voxel sculpt"  sphere;

- I closed again and open and select "paint UV mapped Mesh" per-pixel paint (Robot);

- Opencl is back.

I think it's a bug.

• Contributor

- AO OpenCL baking routine problems fixed.

- Cube with fillet primitive

- Sphere primitiv density fixed

This is first build compiled with VS 2013, it should be stable enough and may even be faster, but need to be checked carefully.

In compaison to 4.5.03 it contains many important fixes, so if all is OK this build has chance to be next stable point, so need your testing.

Also, I started code refactoring to make code beter organised, documented and more readable. Possibly 3D-Coat will become half-opensource (but I may not guarantee).

In next month no new features will be introduced and no important fixes expected if this buld will becme stable because I need to perform refactoring. Othervice we will not be able to deevlop in 3-4 years because of code complexity and disorganisation. So this stage is very important for future. Refactoring will not bring something new to users but will allow fo fix problem easier and deveop faster, extend programmers team.

Hmm, I don't know how you'll take this but hearing you talking about refactoring is probably the best news I've read in a long time here.

Take your time :)

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Hmm, I don't know how you'll take this but hearing you talking about refactoring is probably the best news I've read in a long time here.

Take your time :)

Is refactoring another way of saying "recompiling?" If so, would this not be a good time to add CUDA or OpenCL tags or code to certain tools like the MOVE or POSE tool....so that they use GPU acceleration...in the process? Because, it's my understanding that this is what is the drudgery of doing GPU parallel threading work. You have to go in and add these tags or line of code to many entries. This could help eliminate the need to switch to proxy mode...which can be very damaging (have lost a lot of work this way), at times.

Code refactoring is the process of restructuring existing computer code – changing the factoring – without changing its external behavior. Refactoring improves nonfunctional attributes of the software. Advantages include improved code readability and reduced complexity; these can improve source code maintainability and create a more expressive internal architecture or object model to improve extensibility.

• Reputable Contributor

Code refactoring is the process of restructuring existing computer code – changing the factoring – without changing its external behavior. Refactoring improves nonfunctional attributes of the software. Advantages include improved code readability and reduced complexity; these can improve source code maintainability and create a more expressive internal architecture or object model to improve extensibility.

:good:

• Contributor

Tried it and no joy.

143833329080.jpg

Me neither it does not work. :(

at least seeing Don is plagued with this issue too Im glad to see we are not only 2 users not able to access this option.

Anyway,it has to do with the latest changes in 4.5.08 because in 4.5.07 I can access it just fine.

...maybe its more of a UI kind of bug since Dirceu Franco seemed to be able to access it sometimes by closing and reoppening 3DCoat multiple times..

• Reputable Contributor

Me neither it does not work. :(

at least seeing Don is plagued with this issue too Im glad to see we are not only 2 users not able to access this option.

Anyway,it has to do with the latest changes in 4.5.08 because in 4.5.07 I can access it just fine.

...maybe its more of a UI kind of bug since Dirceu Franco seemed to be able to access it sometimes by closing and reoppening 3DCoat multiple times..

Seems like it's the same kind of issue with the MORE menu not working in the Preview Options Panel, when using Stencils. There is a work-around to get it to function, so it's some kind of UI glitch

Tried it and no joy.

143833329080.jpg

I had the same issue after upgrading to Windows 10 yesterday. I could only select CPU. But after installing the provided OpenCL.dll into the 3d-coat folder, the OpenCL option appeared. Maybe you can reinstall?

• Like 1

Tried it and no joy.

143833329080.jpg

Hi, my name is Vladimir, I develop AO for 3DCoat.

Please download this update and unzip to installation folder, replacing all files and try select OpenCL again.

Win64: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2DibXAfdFRaRUF0VTh4b2pfQzA

Win32: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2DibXAfdFRaWHdxX2ptMmNTdW8

This update has fixed initialize OpenCL and added messages about the failures.

Thank you for testing the latest changes!

• Like 2

• Contributor

Please download this update and unzip to installation folder, replacing all files and try select OpenCL again.

Error message says "Can't get numbers of OpenCL platforms".

• Reputable Contributor

Thank you for the fix/update. It works on my end now, and very fast. Great work. Quick question about OpenCL....the Opacity sliders (Color, Depth, Roughness, Metalness) in the layer panel have long been VERY, VERY, VERY slow and to the point of almost being unusable, This issue has been raised with Andrew on multiple occasions. My question is, would it be possible to use OpenCL to accelerate and improve the interactivity of these sliders?

I'll post this in Mantis but I wanted to see if anyone else had the same problem. If I use freeze to select a small area then use Expand Frozen Area (Ctrl+minus key)  It expands it mby a huge amount. way more than I need.

Example video:

http://screencast.com/t/CgKUZKWVLE

• Contributor

I installed the latest Nvidia driver (353.62) the day before this new fix came out. Have you tried that, yet?

thanx after installing this driver it works now...I"ll report if it disappear again.

Anyway,that still doesnt explain why it worked fine 4.5.07 and not in 4.5.08.....the driver version I had was just the previous one.

What is gonna happen when I update with future drivers ect....this is not really reassuring.

IMO it still is unsafe unless Andrew or Carrots knows exactly why it stopped appearing specifically in 4.5.08.

EDIT: really unstable.I had error message: -2:max_mem_alloc size is 402653kb,but you need 407994 switch to CPU platform.

Seems I'll need to rely solely on  CPU routine afterall... :(

Edit:another error message :can't create CLProgram from source.Switch to CPU platform.

Is my graphic card dying on me and I dont know it? 

• Reputable Contributor

thanx after installing this driver it works now...I"ll report if it disappear again.

Anyway,that still doesnt explain why it worked fine 4.5.07 and not in 4.5.08.....the driver version I had was just the previous one.

What is gonna happen when I update with future drivers ect....this is not really reassuring.

IMO it still is unsafe unless Andrew or Carrots knows exactly why it stopped appearing specifically in 4.5.08.

EDIT: really unstable.I had error message: -2:max_mem_alloc size is 402653kb,but you need 407994 switch to CPU platform.

Seems I'll need to rely solely on  CPU routine afterall... :(

Edit:another error message :can't create CLProgram from source.Switch to CPU platform.

Is my graphic card dying on me and I dont know it? 

Thus far, it's working pretty well, here. I still use a GTX 580 3GB, and the Robot model renders in about 10-15sec. Maybe delete the config files or just Options.xml > then copy the files Carrots linked to. Some file is buggered up somewhere.

• Contributor

Thus far, it's working pretty well, here. I still use a GTX 580 3GB, and the Robot model renders in about 10-15sec. Maybe delete the config files or just Options.xml > then copy the files Carrots linked to. Some file is buggered up somewhere.

on the robot  it works ok and  pretty fast too. :)

But for my personnal projects I use it mostly in vertex paint mode, probably polycount is too high and Im asking too much out of it....

but it did perform better in 4.5.07 altough sometimes result layer was blank.Now I get mostly error messages....

on the robot  it works ok and  pretty fast too. :)

But for my personnal projects I use it mostly in vertex paint mode, probably polycount is too high and Im asking too much out of it....

but it did perform better in 4.5.07 altough sometimes result layer was blank.Now I get mostly error messages....

Well, I try to optimize the use of video memory in the near future.
Maybe tomorrow I upload update.

Thank you for the fix/update. It works on my end now, and very fast. Great work. Quick question about OpenCL....the Opacity sliders (Color, Depth, Roughness, Metalness) in the layer panel have long been VERY, VERY, VERY slow and to the point of almost being unusable, This issue has been raised with Andrew on multiple occasions. My question is, would it be possible to use OpenCL to accelerate and improve the interactivity of these sliders?

This can be optimized by using OpenCL, but development will require a lot of time because the structure of the program is not designed for this. (for this reason it is not included in the plan.)

Thank you for the fix carrots

The structure of the program is not designed for this request ?

or would it be possible to use OpenCL ?

REAL Ambient Occlusion, please

AO need more control

Strength
Distance
Attenuation
Samples

Ty !

• Contributor

Well, I try to optimize the use of video memory in the near future.
Maybe tomorrow I upload update.

Great!! 

Probaly most error messages I get come from the fact that I use vertex paint and polycount might be too high.

I still get blank layers sometimes tough it seems hard to predict...

it works ok now that I updated to latest driver I mean at least option is always visible in roll out.

I still dont understand why previous driver would work with 4.5.07 and not 4.5.08....anyway,Im happy it works. :)