3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

- OpenCL tweaked to solve existing problems.

- Started refactoring. And seems it leads to functionaliny tweaking as well. Uncluttering allowed to use "On plane" in surface tools. It is in "Flattern tool" that may be really uselul.

- Drag&drop menus for dropping files into Coat improved, bigger set of what to do with files.

Please check if nothing broken. I intend to make next stable build.

Thanks for testing!

• Like 4

• Reputable Contributor

- OpenCL tweaked to solve existing problems.

- Started refactoring. And seems it leads to functionaliny tweaking as well. Uncluttering allowed to use "On plane" in surface tools. It is in "Flattern tool" that may be really uselul.

Please check if nothing broken. I intend to make next stable build.

Thanks for testing!

Andrew, can we get the things I reported recently, fixed before you call it stable? Being able to use the Closed Spline Draw mode with Vox Extrude and Vox Layer tools are VERY important. Also, Selection Opacity in the Pose tool doesn't work. It's 100% all the time. And the Sketch tool, I cannot get anything out of it. The spline doesn't work with it, either.

• Advanced Member

On plane works finally, this is great for hardsurface stufff! Rendering with gpu, worked previously ok for me, but this build displays error:

tpPxqIB.jpg

I tried new driver, reboot, and deleting 3d coat files in my documents.

And I can't use open gpu for AO.. I have win7, 64 bit, GTX 660

• Advanced Member

I've just been using the segmented mannequin.......whats with the wacky symmetry on this?   I posed all the segments into a vaguely chimp shape in a pose. Then when I tried to adjust the segments with the move tool to fill the gaps on the arm and legs , the opposite segment moves as well ....even If i turn off sym. Anyone get this.

I'm using the .05 update because .08 seemed a bit stop start with the brushes. But then again so it seems is .05.

Might try .09.

• Contributor

I've just been using the segmented mannequin.......whats with the wacky symmetry on this?   I posed all the segments into a vaguely chimp shape in a pose. Then when I tried to adjust the segments with the move tool to fill the gaps on the arm and legs , the opposite segment moves as well ....even If i turn off sym. Anyone get this.

I'm using the .05 update because .08 seemed a bit stop start with the brushes. But then again so it seems is .05.

Might try .09.

seems like symmetrical parts are instanced (maybe it always been that way,I dont know I dont really use the mannequin)

Just select Instancer tool and press "Un-instance all'.

• Reputable Contributor

Might try .09.

Instancing might be enabled. Just go to the Instancer tool and click the button that says "UnInstance All."

143861720192.jpg

...didn't realize Artman answered it before I could finish my post

• Advanced Member

Brilliant! Artman.   Thought it took me longer to find out where that button was than it took for your reply!!! Thanks for the super quick answer , its appreciated .

( still lovin' the Trim tool!)

Yup, this is the first time I have really used the mannequin, It s going quite well, but there is a lot of bits to merge together later. Initially it seems easier to get a nice pose than faffing around with the pose tool. But its swings and roundabouts like the rest of life...

Maybe I might just get a nice pose then copy it with curves, i will see how it goes.

Edit  :  And thanks to you also AbnRanger! If I would have tuned in 5 mins later and saw your post I would have found the button quicker!! I was looking everywhere apart from the tool list duh....

Edited by stusutcliffe

• Reputable Contributor

Brilliant! Artman.   Thought it took me longer to find out where that button was than it took for your reply!!! Thanks for the super quick answer , its appreciated .

( still lovin' the Trim tool!)

Yup, this is the first time I have really used the mannequin, It s going quite well, but there is a lot of bits to merge together later. Initially it seems easier to get a nice pose than faffing around with the pose tool. But its swings and roundabouts like the rest of life...

Maybe I might just get a nice pose then copy it with curves, i will see how it goes.

Edit  :  And thanks to you also AbnRanger! If I would have tuned in 5 mins later and saw your post I would have found the button quicker!! I was looking everywhere apart from the tool list duh....

The limbs were are on separate layers, so symmetry won't work on them. Hence the instancing. You get a lot of the same functionality, but you have the option to turn it off if needed. As for merging all the layers, just pose the Mannequin the way your want > create a new layer > make sure it has enough resolution > RMB + Click the new layer and choose "Merge Visible." 3D Coat will merge a copy of each layer into this one new one, while leaving the others intact, as they are.

Alternatively, you could just RMB + click on each parent layer and choose "Merge child layers"

What file and where you dropped? I checked and on my tests all works as expected - there are much more items in D&D menu.

png, gif, tga

paint Room

- If you take a file and drag and drop it over the canvas -jpg- it works fine the first time

- second time try dragging a gif or png, there is not action or dialog. Drag and drop stop working

close and reopen 3DC have no effect, is not working anymore

if i switch to fill tool, works again first time

then stop working again the 2nd

ty

• Contributor

Ok OpenCl disappeared again from roll out.  :blink:

I get error message : "can't get the number of OpenCl platforms" as soon as I select the Occlusion tool.

Im trying with the robot sample so its not because its too heavy file.

Yesterday it worked(well,not always...but it was always visible in roll out) but today its not there anymore.

I did not change anything from yesterday.(4.5.09)

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the info AbnRanger! I think the amount of layers to merge was intimidating for me because in the past when I merged everything I tended to get an error ,so I now merge one at a time. I will give it ago.

When I uninstanced everything all the nice pivot points on the objects all disappeared, which was mildly annoying....i'd finished the pose anyway so no great loss, but something to remember for next time. But after all that , I dont like where my picture is going....so back to the drawing board as they say....At least I have learnt stuff.  

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for the info AbnRanger! I think the amount of layers to merge was intimidating for me because in the past when I merged everything I tended to get an error ,so I now merge one at a time. I will give it ago.

When I uninstanced everything all the nice pivot points on the objects all disappeared, which was mildly annoying....i'd finished the pose anyway so no great loss, but something to remember for next time. But after all that , I dont like where my picture is going....so back to the drawing board as they say....At least I have learnt stuff.  

Maybe this will help explain the process a little bit

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Does anyone else have a problem with saving rendered images?  For me it renders, but then it won't save.  I've only tried it for stills, not turnarounds.  

I'm also having a problem with the sphere tool...it wont draw anything.  Further, when I have existing geometry, it hides it, like the hide tool would.  

I'm using 4.5.08 Cuda GL64, but I'm going to check the newer one.

EDIT:  After testing 4.5.09, rendering seems to be fixed.  But the two CUDA versions are still having the problem with the sphere tool.  But it seems more extensive, since the primitives don't seem to work either. 

Edited by gbball

• Reputable Contributor

That was certainly helpful to me. Thanks AbnRanger!

Good work Mr Ranger! Cripes I didnt even know you could change all the shaders at once....I feel  like a dummy ! ( or should that be mannequin ?!)

Glad to help, and thanks for bringing the subject up. I hadn't realized that the instances might cause some confusion.

Does anyone else have a problem with saving rendered images?  For me it renders, but then it won't save.  I've only tried it for stills, not turnarounds.  

I'm also having a problem with the sphere tool...it wont draw anything.  Further, when I have existing geometry, it hides it, like the hide tool would.  

I'm using 4.5.08 Cuda GL64, but I'm going to check the newer one.

EDIT:  After testing 4.5.09, rendering seems to be fixed.  But the two CUDA versions are still having the problem with the sphere tool.  But it seems more extensive, since the primitives don't seem to work either.

I recommnd updating video drivers, 08 and 09 are using cuda toolkit 6.5 and may fail with older drivers.

Ok OpenCl disappeared again from roll out.  :blink:

I get error message : "can't get the number of OpenCl platforms" as soon as I select the Occlusion tool.

Im trying with the robot sample so its not because its too heavy file.

Yesterday it worked(well,not always...but it was always visible in roll out) but today its not there anymore.

I did not change anything from yesterday.(4.5.09)

Hi! Please try this update/fix (for 3DCoat 4.5.09 x64 only):

* Fixed black result problems;
* Optimized videomemory for per-vertex AO mode;
* OpenCL initialization use only latest dll from Khronos Group.
(The results currently can be white if deficiency of videomemory, I will try to fix this problem soon.)

Thanks for testing!
Edited by carrots

• Contributor

Hi! Please try this update/fix (for 3DCoat 4.5.09 x64 only):

* Fixed black result problems;
* Optimized videomemory for per-vertex AO mode;
* OpenCL initialization use only latest dll from Khronos Group.
(The results currently can be white if deficiency of videomemory, I will try to fix this problem soon.)

Thanks for testing!

still getting "can't get the number of OpenCl platforms" as soon as I select the Occlusion tool. :(

Even with the Default Robot file....

I would like for more users with NVidia graphic cards to report on this.

Maybe my graphic card is dying or somethin....

2 days ago everything worked fine with the new driver....

The only thing I did is changing UI a bit...very strange.

Finally,I dont think that makes the "entire" build unsafe as its only one feature in the whole program

and even maybe releasing the build with this issue will provide more feedback from other users

that may lead to solution...