3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Advanced Member

I do not use Pie menus too much, because I see one problem with them. Lets say you  are used to pie menu, and you know that on right side you have option X, and on top option Y. Now what happens when you add new element to pie menu?  X and Y entries are changing position, so you have to learn again, where they are located in relation to center. So you will waste time searching for them and remembering new position.  With normal menu,  new entry would just move old operators +/-1 up or down so it is not as bad, imo

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Andrew, can you make all colour pickers to pick up colours from outside of 3D-Coat window?

Hell, I can't even pick colours from 3D-Coat itself.

attachicon.gifcolor_picker.jpg

For example: on the picture above, I'd like to pick up one of the already defined blue colours, without having to memorize their HSV or RGB values and re-entering them.

Maya 2012 had the same problem, but you could hold the dropper icon and hover the cursor over area of interest that was outside of Maya window to pick up the colour. I can't do this workaround here.

+1 for this

• Advanced Member

carlosan,    """""""""""Floating windows when changing rooms"""""""""""""

I am getting this... It is just the "texture editor" floating undocked window for me.... Changing rooms has it appear undocked. Close it, change rooms, go back and floating again... It appears in rooms where the texture editor is not loaded either....

• Contributor

carlosan,    """""""""""Floating windows when changing rooms"""""""""""""

I am getting this... It is just the "texture editor" floating undocked window for me.... Changing rooms has it appear undocked. Close it, change rooms, go back and floating again... It appears in rooms where the texture editor is not loaded either....

Same here (4.5.12A), but different windows. I have Shaders and VoxTree docked to the left side of sculpt room's viewport and its those windows that constantly keep re-appearing in other rooms.

Edited by ajz3d

• Advanced Member

Seems I just fixed the floating windows issue by using edit-preferences-restore windows..... Although I'm not very customized, so it didn't bother me....

Also found a file in the "user\documents\3D-coat45 directory named executable.txt... Has the path to the cuda version I had to stop using.. Don't know how this is used and if it should remain or be changed to "S" version currently using...

Time waste? What?

Pie menus are wicked fast. So if you have your cut out brush on the top and you added a new command to your menu...just reorganize it. It's not a problem at all joe. It's customizable to your workflow. I don't see any issue at all.

• Reputable Contributor

What's with all these floating panels in rooms where they don't belong? Extra Paint Object, Texture Editor and Surface Mesh panels floating in the Sculpt Room and Retopo Room. If I open a new scene, I get the privilege of having to close these all over again. This is ain't good.

And for whatever reason, 3D Coat crashes EVERY time I try to save a screen grab

Hi,

there is an export bug for lwo.

I have an object with length of 160mm, if I export it to .lwo it is 160m.

Could you please fix it or is this somewhere adjustable in the configs?

Thanks

Tom

This is not a bug. Every tool is handling measurements different. This kind of issues happen with other tools too. When I export a 100cm FBX-object from blender to Maya then it is 10cm in Maya... This is something really ugly and was never really solved by any company. The question is to find a file format that is used the same by all tools finally. But this will never happen, I think...

What kind of file format are you using for the export?

Important: The most sizes are described by "units" not metres, centimetres, inches or whatever. Some formats support real units, but it is a question of the tool to support it too.

While the import a tool see only the value "160" in your case. Not more and not less.

The best is to use formats like STL or FBX and make tests before exporting. OBJ does not work good as a measure format in most cases.

Hi,

there is an export bug for lwo.

I have an object with length of 160mm, if I export it to .lwo it is 160m.

Could you please fix it or is this somewhere adjustable in the configs?

Thanks

Tom

In 3D-Coat:

Change the scene scale n[your_value] x 1000

Change the scene units to metres to see your values right in 3D-Coat. It is important for all tools to set this!

The object export will work, when you use OBJ and STL.

If you want the same with FBX then change your scene scale value to n x 10, and the measurement units to centimetres.

EDIT: You can have this easier when you just change the Voxels per unit value to 1000 (For using FBX set it to 10). Then you don't need to change the Units and the model should be exported right in OBJ and STL or FBX.

• Reputable Contributor

4.5.12A: Use windows 8.1. The same happen here, when I install the update. As soon as I change the scene scale for example, then the windows undock too.

Don't know if this is related or not, but I closed the app > deleted both the Options.XML and Options.Windows,XML files and that seemed to stop the annoying floating pop-up panels issue. Maybe it can help in your situation?

• Like 1

• Contributor

Don't know if this is related or not, but I closed the app > deleted both the Options.XML and Options.Windows,XML files and that seemed to stop the annoying floating pop-up panels issue. Maybe it can help in your situation?

Thanks, deleting Options_Windows.xml helped.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks, deleting Options_Windows.xml helped.

Glad it worked. By the way, for those who want keystroke assignments to be mapped differently in each room....you can do that now by hovering over the tool > hitting the END key and making that new assignment in the room you want. So, for example, I may assign the M key to the Freeze tool in the Sculpt Room, and in the Retopo room, assign the M to Move Vertices. It doesn't mess up the assignment in the other room.

I will give it a try. Thank you Don.

Never needed to delete this files in the past.

Hi,

thanks for helping with the scale issue.

Yes size and scales aren't standarda between the apps. So I have to learn about the export/imports between the programs.

But we should have an absolute size tool where we can at least get the size or dimensions in 3d coat.

• Reputable Contributor

Hi,

Yes size and scales aren't standarda between the apps. So I have to learn about the export/imports between the programs.

But we should have an absolute size tool where we can at least get the size or dimensions in 3d coat.

You have a measure tool for this purpose. Transform tool will let you scale numerically. So, if the Measure tool shows it as 10cm in length, but you need it to be 20cm, then you can enter 200 (%). By the way, does ALT + SHIFT + S crash 3D Coat for anyone else? Whether you use the hotkey combination or go through the HELP menu, to save a screen grab...3D Coat consistently crashes, on my end.

Still can't reproduce. Does it happen every time? Please write detailed steps to understand what I am missing.

I have installed the *.12 update here an a windows 7 system. It works without any windows undocking problems.

It seems this problems appear on windows 8.x systems only.

Is it possible to delete the old options.xml and options.windows.xml files by default while the installation?

EDIT: Important: when I switch to voxels all windows undock in windows 7 too.

EDIT: I have deleted the Options_Windows.xml and now it works on windows 7 correctly.

... By the way, does ALT + SHIFT + S crash 3D Coat for anyone else? Whether you use the hotkey combination or go through the HELP menu, to save a screen grab...3D Coat consistently crashes, on my end.

Tested it on windows 7: It works here. Both, as shortcut and in the help menu.

Hi,

As Don said: The new measure tool is perfect for this.

• Contributor

4.5.12A

In the retopo room I have defined six UV sets, that I want to act as UDIM tiles later on, and then I used Bake->Retopo->per pixel (no baking) to import the mesh to paint room with the following options.

post-12523-0-21393300-1439806189_thumb.p

I didn't enable Import Tiles as UV Sets, because all UVs were created inside 3D-Coat and therefore they are all inside 1001 UDIM tile (though all UVs are nicely spread over 1001-1006 UV sets).

Now, in the paint room I get this:

post-12523-0-53485600-1439806602_thumb.p

There are three problems here:

1) One empty UV-set was added out of thin air. As you can see on the screenshot - it's empty.

2) All materials are named "1001".

3) There's one material named after the filename and it's empty. There is also an object with the same name which is also empty. Both are added automatically when the scene is opened and they seem to be necessary for baking, because if I delete them and then attempt to bake, the process falls into, what seems to be, an infinite loop (with progress bar displayed on the screen forever). This is not new, as I have seen it in previous versions.

When I attempt to export the model with Export UV Sets as Tiles flag marked, then instead of putting each UV set into a separate tile (which I'm pretty sure is how it worked in the past) 3D-Coat puts all UV sets into 1001 tile.

post-12523-0-70404900-1439806744_thumb.j

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

Unfortunately it turns out that deleting the Options_Windows.xml didn't help because now I have undocked Surface Materials window appearing in sculpt and retopo rooms every time I start 3D-Coat, load a scene or even change rooms.

I tried deleting temp directory, but still no change.

Edited by ajz3d