3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Contributor

I know what you mean. I always end up with hundreds of incremental saves and projects weighting over 100GB too, simply because you never know what might happen... :) I think I learned how to avoid or overcome such accidents (to a certain degree) or which tools or sequences of actions might present a bigger risk of malfunctioning, so it's not that bad. But such problems, whenever they happen, are always frustrating because they break one's creative thinking and force him to interrupt his work and seek solutions to a technical issue. It also eats time.

--

Hopefuly after refactoring, it will be easier for Andrew to spot and squash those bugs.

Yes so true , lets really hope after refactoring, it will be easier for Andrew to spot and TOTAL squash those bugs

• Contributor

Another corruption, this time after bringing the surface back from proxy mode. The corruption is permanent, meaning that I have lost at least 30 minutes of work and need to revert to a previous incremental save.

I'm using 4.5.16 STABLE build.

post-12523-0-31267200-1441620752_thumb.j

It looks like some parts of the layer managed to return from proxy mode, but the other ones did not (they're still low res).

--

Luckily I remembered to save just before entering proxy mode.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

Sorry to say that and it is not helpful, but my opinion:

"A stable tool does not mean it is free of bugs. It just mean it does not crash more often than usual."

I hope Andrews current work will lead to a more bug free tool. But I am hopeful.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Another corruption, this time after bringing the surface back from proxy mode. The corruption is permanent, meaning that I have lost at least 30 minutes of work and need to revert to a previous incremental save.

I'm using 4.5.16 STABLE build.

attachicon.gifcorrupted_surface.jpg

It looks like some parts of the layer managed to return from proxy mode, but the other ones did not (they're still low res).

--

Luckily I remembered to save just before entering proxy mode.

This is why I have asked Andrew DOZENS of times to PLEASE....Get CUDA or OpenCL involved with the Pose Tool. So, the user doesn't do 30min or more of work in proxy mode, and find out that you've lost not only the work you did in proxy mode, but perhaps everything since your last SAVE.

He's ignored me every time.

....proxy mode can be quite unstable at times

Haven't been keeping up much, but I guess 3DC is in some sort of code refactoring phase atm? Are we expecting this to result in any performance improvements?

Maybe. The main target of this step is to serve better team development possibilities. This is REALLY much more IMPORTANT than any other wishes. But Andrew told us that there will be some small speed improvements.

What the heck happened to the stencil navigation?

I am not able to move, scale or rotate stencils anymore by using the shortcuts. Only the buttons in the options window works.

Do someone else has this problem?

No other update before destroyed my keyset here. Is this because the new smart material navigation?

EDIT:
I started the 4.1 Version and there the stencil / masks navigation works perfect.

Do someone has an idea why I am not able to move stencils / masks projections with the keyboard anymore?

It worked all the time. After the last update not anymore.

In version 4.1 all works perfect.

It driving me crazy when I have to press the icons !

HELP!   :help:  :dash2:

I reinstalled all versions back. Even 4.5.12 keyset is not working.

Do I overlook something?!

• Contributor

Today in the retopo room I tried to add a vertex to a triangle with Add/Split tool and connect the new face to existing vertices. This action resulted in a new quad shooting into infinity. I undid this action, but then my whole retopo group got corrupted. What happened is that the whole group was turned into, what looked like, a single horizontally stretched quad (into infinity on negative and positive X-axis). It was non-undoable and I had to reload the scene. I didn't try to reproduce it yet as I immediately turned off my workstation and went out biking to charge my batteries, but I will try it in a moment or two.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Contributor

When i get similar issues , i go to paint room and then return right back , if this does not solve it then i go out biking.

Just remember to go to the paint room first. ;)

• Like 1

• Contributor

Here's my problem. I can reproduce it 100% of the time with my current scene. I cannot reproduce it on a default sphere though.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cllc5s00ne1xs6q/retopo_group_corruption.mp4?dl=1

--

And this bug I got yesterday:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dq7bgr712i2zbso/pose_selection_bug.mp4?dl=1

It felt like there was some invisible thin plane hanging at a fixed coordinates in the world space that prevented certain area of the object from being selected with Pose's line and even paint selections. Converting the layer to surface mode, duplicating it, exporting and reimporting didn't change anything. However, the layer exported to 3b file and opened in a separate file didn't cause any problems for any of the Pose selection modes.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Wow pretty scary , especially on edit undo PANIC MODE aahaahahhahahaa.

Had similar problem a couples , similar not the exact same , difference was that retopo polys were still visible.

• Contributor

Retopo room gives me the most problems and tweak room has saved me the most times , yes this little room that everybody seems to dislike it saved me the most of the times comparing to any other command.

In certain cases those hotkey combinations conflict with hotkey usage when working with the 2D Editor...so, Andrew gave you a choice, in preferences. Options are a good then, no?

... I meant a good "thing."

Hm. I will observe this. Basically it is a good idea to solve it this way.

• Like 1

• Contributor

You saved it in multiple copies hopefully....

Auto retopo with guide lines is broken....

Naturally. But the amount of various bugs I've been encountering for the last couple of days is somewhat disturbing. I hope Andrew will read my last posts about them once he gets back from vacation.

I tried Autopo with stroke guides on my Krite from the current challenge, and it did return a pretty good result. There were some local topology areas that were candidates for manual correction, but overall the algorithm did a very good job, so I wouldn't call Autopo with guides - broken. :)

Anyways, I ended up doing manual retopo, because I like to be in control of things. Plus, there's never enough of practice. :rofl:

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Let me re phrase , its broken on complex hard surface pieces  , or even better  , on complex hard surface pieces when guides applied (even 2 main guides) it messes everything up.

On my rat , its auto retopo and i really find the result amazing , but on hard surface.......

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?app=galleryℑ=985

Ha

By increasing the polys for example from 2000 to 4000 then it works as expected.

Then it works on 3000 as well and to 2000 and even 1000!!!

But on the first try when i set 2000 it messes everything up.

Tried it even in default sphere , of course each one needs a different value to do this , but once it works it works with lower values as well.

Edited by Michaelgdrs
  • Like 1