3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Contributor

Let me re phrase , its broken on complex hard surface pieces  , or even better  , on complex hard surface pieces when guides applied (even 2 main guides) it messes everything up.

On my rat , its auto retopo and i really find the result amazing , but on hard surface.......

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?app=galleryℑ=985

Ha

By increasing the polys for example from 2000 to 4000 then it works as expected.

Then it works on 3000 as well and to 2000 and even 1000!!!

But on the first try when i set 2000 it messes everything up.

Tried it even in default sphere , of course each one needs a different value to do this , but once it works it works with lower values as well.

Ah that's probably it. I've never tried Autopo on hard surface objects. Well, I did once on stone letters, which I guess may be classified as hard surface objects, but I didn't use guides.

• Like 1

• Contributor

And another bug:

After applying symmetry, one half of my model ended up like each quad was encompassed with UV seams (or was physically disconnected from the others). (if I hover with my mouse over one of the quads, it shows as individual island in the UV preview window). But the retopo group doesn't have any seams marked and the surface is continuous (I double-checked it). I tried deleting all seams, but it did not change a thing. Strange.

post-12523-0-72202100-1441845574_thumb.j

• Like 1

• Contributor

Of course.
--
Darn it's happening all the time. I thought once I reload the scene the problem will be gone. I thought it occurs on random basis, but no.
Out of curiosity I unwrapped the retopo group (I cleared all UV seams beforehand) and here's what I got:
post-12523-0-03326400-1441847434_thumb.j
So 3D-Coat has created those UV seams for each one of those quads, even though the seams are not visible in the viewport (and are not erasable).

--
I guess I'll have to mirror the retopo mesh in some other software. Check this out:

post-12523-0-78123400-1441850217_thumb.j

This time seams (marked behind-the-scenes by 3D-Coat) are visible. But I still cannot unmark nor remove them with Clear Seams tool.

--

Yup, mirroring in Nvil and reimporting to 3D-Coat did the trick. :)

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

Is this where I'm supposed to report bugs? If not, I apologize.

1st, this one has happened since after 4.5 BETA 14: The texture editor is messed up in the paint room. There are jagged edges around the UVs that make it impossible to see where the texture actually is. You can see details with screenshots in this thread: http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18305

2nd, the Quad tool in the retopo room causes me massive lag in version (Win) 4.5.16 with a high poly mesh. When I reverted back to BETA 14 (because of the above issue), there's no lag.

• Contributor

Hey , greetings to all.

Is there an every other commend in 3d coat.

For example delete every other edge loop.

I am quite sure that there is , there is no way that such an important commend is missing.

Thank you.

• Reputable Contributor

Hey , greetings to all.

Is there an every other commend in 3d coat.

For example delete every other edge loop.

I am quite sure that there is , there is no way that such an important commend is missing.

Thank you.

I've been asking for this for a long, long, long time. In 3ds Max, it's called DOT LOOP/RING. Could help reduce Auto retopo meshes very quickly. It's been listed on Mantis (along with a handful of other retopo requests....like holding the SHIFT key with the TRANSFORM tool will extrude edges on the fly) for ages. Maybe Raul can add these soon, since he is working on the Retopo room.

• Like 2

• Contributor

Shocked to know this Ranger.

Thank you very much for the enlightenment.

Raul can you kindly add those as AbnRanger requested?

We can work a lot faster with those additions.

I am cleaning retopo models for the last 3 hours straight on.

Auto retopo works well if we go on the higher side of  the polys asked , but then it needs a clean up for sure in order to reduce them.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Vox Layer..... Did there used to be a "Vox extrude" also? I am sure it was underneath vox layer, I cant find it ...is it called something else now? I just want to indent the surface ,but I am having to make a vox layer and subtract it,which does not always work properly.

Capsule Primitive.... I tried altering  "Cap 1 and "Cap 2" to a more pointy profile, but they stay half round spherical when applied.  

beta 15.

( just checked the help files....Vox extrude does exist......not going crazy......)

Edited by stusutcliffe

• Advanced Member

Vox Layer..... Did there used to be a "Vox extrude" also? I am sure it was underneath vox layer, I cant find it ...is it called something else now? I just want to indent the surface ,but I am having to make a vox layer and subtract it,which does not always work properly.

'Vox extrude' button is just above 'vox layer' in the left side toolbar and directly to the left of the 'vox layer' button in the SPACE bar menu (Beta 16). Don't know what could be going on if its not there in your version.

vox_extrude.png

Edited by wilson66

• Contributor

It looks like you are in surface mode? If you go to voxel mode, then it will be there... :)

It's available in both: the surface and voxel mode. Something must be wrong with Stu's settings.

In this kind of situations I make a backup of the whole 3DC preferences folder and start deleting stuff from it while checking if it helped. Maybe start from clearing the Temp folder. Then options.xml if it doesn't help.

• Reputable Contributor

It looks like you are in surface mode? If you go to voxel mode, then it will be there... :)

It is supposed to work in Surface mode, too. He just needs to delete all the .xml files in his MyDocs/3D-Coat4.5 directory > fresh install. One of those is probably buggered up.

144227234618.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Ha Ha ha cough cough choke.....and the hat tip goes to Mr Ranger. Yup that was it !!!! Thank you. And thanks to everyone who piped up, I knew I could count on you guys! 

I had a vague memory that you could hide items that you didnt need ....but the memory  only returned after you said it. I tend to leave all my software at default settings  cos its easier for me  just to get back to that if something goes wrong.

Though I did a reset on the interface initially but that does not seem to be connected to this.

I dont think I would have hid that purposely, because it is one of the more useful tools.

Thanks again.......now I feel dumber than I did yesterday... 

I'm having a problem with how 3DC is importing meshes, it's modifying them in the UV room, but in the Paint room the mesh appears fine.

I'm using 4.5.16(CUDA)(DX64). I've tried importing OBJ and FBX low-poly meshes that I created in Modo 901 and it modifies them just enough that when I export them back to Modo, things no longer match up.  I've tried a few different options on import and none of them have made a difference.

I hope I'm just being ignorant to some option, as I absoslutely prefer setting up my UVs and painting in 3D Coat.

Here's an image showing some of the changes I'm encountering:

mesh_problem.jpg

And one other issue I'm encountering, is that the eraser tool stops working, or will only erase part of a layer. I've been using 3D Coat since version 3.x, so I'm familiar with the Depth, Color, and Glossy buttons for the various tools.  I noticed that this problem happens after using Smart Materials.

I can make it mess up every time just by doing the following steps:

-1- Setup a new Paint UV Mapped Mesh

-2- Choose the Cube and leave everything at default

-3- Select the Metal Forged Smart Material

-4- Fill Layer 1 with the fill-layer option to make the cube look like metal

-5- Create a new layer and fill it with 0_oldschool_Paint

-6- Now for me at least, the eraser tool no longer functions if at all, not until I restart.

( On my own model, I'd have to save, restart then reload to erase any mistakes when this happened. )

Here's my specs if it helps:

3D Coat 4.5.16(CUDA)(DX64)

Windows 10

i7 5820k

GTX 970

32 Gigs of ram

Edited by TongueDar

• Advanced Member

And one other issue I'm encountering, is that the eraser tool stops working, or will only erase part of a layer. I've been using 3D Coat since version 3.x, so I'm familiar with the Depth, Color, and Glossy buttons for the various tools.  I noticed that this problem happens after using Smart Materials.

I can make it mess up every time just by doing the following steps:

-1- Setup a new Paint UV Mapped Mesh

-2- Choose the Cube and leave everything at default

-3- Select the Metal Forged Smart Material

-4- Fill Layer 1 with the fill-layer option to make the cube look like metal

-5- Create a new layer and fill it with 0_oldschool_Paint

-6- Now for me at least, the eraser tool no longer functions if at all, not until I restart.

( On my own model, I'd have to save, restart then reload to erase any mistakes when this happened. )

I do confirm. I have strange artifacts when I try to erase parts of 0_oldschool_Paint layer after reproducing all of your steps.

Edited by Vipera

• Contributor

Undo in the Paint Room fails constantly for many tools.

Random Flip X randomly gets disabled (other Brush Options are probably affected too).

Ocassionally Alphas window, which I invoke temporarily with a hotkey, instead of appearing under the cursor appears in the right upper corner of 3D-Coat's window. Then if I invoke it again it does appear under the cursor, but I need to close it with the "x" button (it won't disappear when the cursor leaves it).

--

If you have many objects in the Paint Room and attempt to use fill bucket tool to fill a specific object, then when you open the list of your objects, scroll down one screen and select an item, an object above will be selected. This means that the last object on the list cannot be selected at all.

post-12523-0-92321300-1442611253_thumb.p

And by the way Andrew. Can you add alphanumeric sorting to Paint Objects list?

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1