3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Contributor

Thank you very much Andrew , for painting is much faster under certain conditions

1) Small brush size

2) Paint close to the object (camera distance)

3) Symmetry turned off

Unusable under those conditions 

1)Medium or big brush

2)Paint not so close to the object (camera distance)

3) Symmetry turned on.

I must say that i am very impressed from the speed after several tests.

Faster on 

1) Smart materials

2) Image painting  

3) On low poly significant improvement

4) On normal map painting significant improvement.  

In some cases i feel like i am painting to a super fast 2d painting software rather than painting in 3d.

P.S

Andrew what type of sorcery have you used you little ...... THANK YOU. ;)

Edited by Michaelgdrs

Unusable under those conditions 

1)Medium or big brush

2)Paint not so close to the object (camera distance)

3) Symmetry turned on.

Thanks for feedback!

Do you mean that under 1,2,3 painting is even slower than before?

Dependence of speed on distance is really unbelievable if same radius used. Possibly you locked pen screen radius?

Symmetry may slow only a bit - just because of bigger processing square. Anyway it should be faser that on previous builds.

• Contributor

Noticed something SUPER IMPORTANT.

Its paints super fast even with extreme low poly when brush radius is set to 1.

Put it to 1.5 and it slows down a lot.

At 3 even more.

Taking it back to 1 and speed is back.

Edit 

After some more testing , this applies to low poly , on voxels it paints faster than before even with medium / big brushes

Edited by Michaelgdrs

• Contributor

@Andrew Shpagin

And it all ends to how big or small the uvs are.

Small uvs , faster panting.

Big uvs areas killing the speed.

Tested on Win 7 x64 Unti , Dual Xeon E5430 8 real cores , 16 Giga Ram , Gtx 470 and Gtx 970

On 32 giga feels exactly the same.

Edited by Michaelgdrs

And it all ends to how big or small the uvs are.

Small uvs , faster panting.

Big uvs areas killing the speed.

+1

------------------------------------------------

- surface paint = big boost

- Tools in space panel ajusted in a bit more logical order.

Cant select all the option on the triangle drop selector at top right

Sampler tool hotkey V is not working inside Texture Editor (paint Room)

- no more Smart Material Preview popups selecting new PBR materials !!!

great :D

note:

please testers remember to add comp specs -memory, cpu, gboard- and OS, ty.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

well I have a bug since version .19... I was waiting to .20 fix for me , but It not happened. and now I think this is a problem just with myself...

When I right click to acess layer menu, choose any one that have a sub menu.When sub menu display, and  my mouse start to over the submenu block, eveything disappears and back to voxtree layer. So I can´t acess AUTORETOPO for example. someone have or already had this problem? the same problem in all versions Dx, Gl with cuda or not.

Edited by Alemar

• Reputable Contributor

The most benefit that the new brush speed routine seems to affect is low polygon painting which 3DC always has struggled with.

Regular models with more polygons and 4K textures still struggles on my system with larger brush sizes in both OpenGL and DX using non cuda...  

Amd 8 core, 16 ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, non cuda, Nvidia 770-- 4 gig ram I know that AMD cpus do not work as well as Intel cpus for 3DC.

Edited by digman

• Contributor

David  , 

take any primitive from the primitives inside 3d coat and retopo it (manual).

Bake at 4k and try to paint. Almost impossible.

If size of polygon / uv is big you just cant paint on it , its unusable.

If size of polygon / uv is small the speed indeed too a big ++ on speed.

• Reputable Contributor

David  , 

take any primitive from the primitives inside 3d coat and retopo it (manual).

Bake at 4k and try to paint. Almost impossible.

If size of polygon / uv is big you just cant paint on it , its unusable.

If size of polygon / uv is small the speed indeed too a big ++ on speed.\

It is an improvement in brush speed but it is not there yet... Please continue to work on this Andrew as you are headed in the right direction. 

On size of polygon / uv do you mean the actual radius of the model according to the scene scale. Yes and size of polygons always make a big difference in 3DC. A few large polygons or in other words a low polygon model 3DC stuggles with... If you flat subdivide the same model plus keeping the edges hard painting is faster but still much to be improved here... 

I just tested a 8 sided cube with the 3DC scene setup to Blender's metric scale and dimensions (scene scale set at 100.00). A Blender two meter cube imports at 2 meters in 3DC and is exported out with the same dimensions. I imported Blender's standard cube into 3DC.

In the paint room a brush size of 1.00 is very a large brush at this scene scale.

4k texture using Metal-Forged PBR smart material.

1.00 is not usable at all.

.500 barely usable, just barely

.250 is usable but not fast

.125 is ok...

Now the above is an improvement believe it or not but as stated much much still to be improved. I also tested subdividing the cube to over 6000 polygons but keeping the edges hard. The painting was faster but still lots of room for improvement. 

Picture shows the size of the brush set at 1.00

If anyone is wondering on the scene scale, yes in 3DC the larger the number in setting the scene scale the smaller the dimensions of your models. I tested this out a few years ago... A scene scale of 100.00 in 3DC matches Blender's metric scene scale.

post-518-0-46181800-1446394819_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

well I have a bug since version .19... I was waiting to .20 fix for me , but It not happened. and now I think this is a problem just with myself...

When I right click to acess layer menu, choose any one that have a sub menu.When sub menu display, and  my mouse start to over the submenu block, eveything disappears and back to voxtree layer. So I can´t acess AUTORETOPO for example. someone have or already had this problem? the same problem in all versions Dx, Gl with cuda or not.

I tried, but it does not happen.

Maybe make very short video or gif and send me to support@3d-coat.com ?

• Reputable Contributor

In response to an users question, I noticed that the Texture Baking Tool does not have all the PBR workflow outputs that we have in the File menu / export objects and textures.

Things like, putting the roughness map in the alpha channel of the metalness map... 

Choice of which workflow to export to...

and the others etc...

Can the Texture Baking Tool be updated to handle these outputs..

Also as another topic for the beta, can we have (through all layers) in the topological tool added if possible. This would be a real time saver... This feature is included in the Clone tool...

post-518-0-43938400-1446493732_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

In response to an users question, I noticed that the Texture Baking Tool does not have all the PBR workflow outputs that we have in the File menu / export objects and textures.

Things like, putting the roughness map in the alpha channel of the metalness map... 

Choice of which workflow to export to...

and the others etc...

Can the Texture Baking Tool be updated to handle these outputs..

Also as another topic for the beta, can we have (through all layers) in the topological tool added if possible. This would be a real time saver... This feature is included in the Clone tool...

+1 and the AO baking from the Retopo room isn't the same AO baking (OpenCL with many more lights to improve the quality). Strict attention to Consistency throughout the app should be a major focus going forward. Another example of inconsistency is naming the very same function "Pinch" in the Sculpt room, but leaving the same function "Collapse" in the Tweak and Paint Room.

• Advanced Member

4.5.20 (without any changes on the computer) wasn't able to start today. Win64Cuda crashed at startup, both DX and GL.

Installing over the existing installation seem to have fixed the issue for now.

Something else: I think there's still something wrong with navigation and I believe I have found a possible reason. In earlier

versions I can not remember that Zooming with RMB or Hover with Pen ever worked with both dragging horizontally and vertically.

I think Zooming used to be mapped to just up and down.

The new behaviour doesn't add anything useful but seems like a source of error for me – simply because that way it is possible to

give 3DC ontradicting input. If drag to right is mapped to + and also drag up to + and the respective opposite directions to one needs to drag

in perfectly straight lines to give the program unambiguous input. As soon as one drags a little bit to the left while dragging up there should be

also which registers. I figure that there are some clever filtering mechanisms in place for such funcitons, but I indeed run into undesired spontaneous

Zoom direction inversions. I'd like to turn zooming by dragging to the left and right of, I don't need it anyway.

• Reputable Contributor

yes. I did a fresh reinstal already too. The only way I acess Autopo is just with a shortcut.

Every once in a while, the .XML files in the MyDocs/3D Coat V4.5 directory gets buggered up and exhibits bug-like behavior. Try closing the app > deleting the Options.xml and Options.Windows.xml file from that directory > re-open the app or re-install latest version and re-open

• Advanced Member

I'm finding that 4.5.19 and 4.5.20 are completely freezing up my computer so that even CTL ALT DEL doesn't work to clear the problem by shutting down the program. Only pushing the reboot button works.

The cause? It seems to have something to do with using the Render room and the casting of shadows calculations.

Using Cast Shadows in the Sculpt Room and Real Time Render in the Render Room does it. Perhaps there's a memory leak in there somewhere?

Other than that they're pretty stable.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

version 4.5.20: I have real problems with the undo steps in retopo room. Is this right? There are only a few undo steps in retopo room. Five or max. eight steps. This is really bad. What happend here?

Can someone confirm it?

I'm finding that 4.5.19 and 4.5.20 are completely freezing up my computer so that even CTL ALT DEL doesn't work to clear the problem by shutting down the program. Only pushing the reboot button works.

The cause? It seems to have something to do with using the Render room and the casting of shadows calculations.

Using Cast Shadows in the Sculpt Room and Real Time Render in the Render Room does it. Perhaps there's a memory leak in there somewhere?

Other than that they're pretty stable.

Yesterday I had a complete crash, it seems to be something with 3D-Coat and the gfx card support. I am using win10 at my client and DX64 of 3DC.There it happened. I saw always animated gfx artefacts / chaos. Nothing worked anymore. I was forced to reset the system.

• Reputable Contributor

Andrew has responded to the painting over the uv seam problem in this thread. This has been a long standing problem so I hope Andrew can nail it down this go around. Now the thread is about low resolution texture painting over uv seams but if you zoom in real close to higher resolution textures you see the same effect... 

A fix is coming in 4.5.21 Andrew saids...

I was going to do a video on the problem, that shows very clearly the problem on the pixel level... Now maybe I will not have to after all... :)

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18508

Edited by digman