3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

I don't understand why painting seams is still an issue....simple search, and posts from 2012!!

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10691

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=705

https://trello.com/c/wQf6AjLY/233-painting-past-uv-shells-bleeding

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1885

So you can't blame it on being a beta version, it's been around through "stable" releases.

Something is wrong with how 3D Coat handles padding...something so fundamental needs to be fixed like 3 years ago.

same model...but Substance Painter has no issues when I paint the same strokes (brushed some blue then did a green loop)

*I did not export the texture...started both 3d coat and Substance painter with the same model and base texture and then did the strokes

563cece2018fc.png

563ced141886b.png

Edited by bocs
  • Like 2

• Contributor

Andrew, the material preview thumbnails (from the Smart Materials window) are generated in viewport lighting conditions that are present at the very moment of closing the Smart Material Editor. This means that it is practically impossible for the thumbnails of all materials to be lit in the same fashion, which makes those thumbnails somewhat useless and inconsistent unless you never change your envmap and its rotation. And I'm sure we all jump between various HDR maps and rotate them in all possible directions when texturing our assets and designing materials.

An example. Thumbnails of two identical materials. The rightmost I duplicated just a moment ago, and all I did is opened the editor and saved the material. Note the difference in the thumbnails. I don't even remember what envmap I used when I generated the leftmost one.

post-12523-0-64948500-1446834780_thumb.j

Can you do something about it?

I imagine a button named "Smart Materials: Use Current Lighting for Thumbnails" or something like this, which upon pressing will update ALL Smart Material thumbnails by applying the current envmap+rotation on them. Also, something that would allow for a reverse action - applying lighting conditions that were used for thumbnail generation - to viewport.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

4.5.21 [beta]

- Merge/move without boolean combining inserted in VoxTree RMB options.

This is a very important and long anticipated feature. Thank you!

Are you so kind and explain me what this should be good for please? Is it not important to keep all objects in own layers?

Just for my understanding.

• Contributor

Are you so kind and explain me what this should be good for please? Is it not important to keep all objects in own layers?

I had a flash of those two scenes that I've been working on in the past and I also remember that I cursed the World that there was no non-boolean merge ops for surface VoxTree layers. Hence my outburst of joy when I read that this feature has finally been implemented. What was the thing that caused me problems with those two projects? Kill me, but I don't remember now. :)

Anyway, the most important thing that I can think of ATM where you can utilize this feature, is sculpting on multiple objects with a single stroke, which as far as I'm aware was not possible before Andrew implemented the non-boolean copy. Only some of the tools had Through All Volumes flag: I think only Move and Pose. Try it. Use this new feature to merge two intersecting surface layers together, sculpt near the seam area, and after you're done - Objectify the layer into multiple layers again.

Another use of the feature might be in cleaning up VoxTree by doing a non-boolean merge operations on similar, intersecting surfaces. This not only lowers the number of layers in the VoxTree and makes it more manageable, but it again - also allows you to Objectify intersecting surfaces into multiple layers if the need arises.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

A number of uses... You desire to have several pieces on the same layer, not every piece of a sculpt you want as a separate layer after working on it. like a having a number of screw heads where you do not want a separate retopo mesh for them... In the past you might get boolean errors merging them to a another layer.

Before you would get boolean errors in surface mode, now that is past history... I think it combines them as one object, kinda like an obj file with many objects inside one obj file ( I am only guessing here) I do not think we will get occlusion errors when baking. Have not tested yet though.

Also you might desire to have some combining of layers in surface mode then, change over to voxel mode to glue all the parts together as one. Useful for hard surface sculpting too without boolean errors...

EDIT: I just noticed that in surface mode, when you combine by the new way, you can no longer sculpt on the objects in that one layer. can anyone else confirm this. This feature could be meant just for at the last when you are ready to retopo, I do not know, Andrew did not say either way...

Edited by digman

• Contributor

EDIT: I just noticed that in surface mode, when you combine by the new way, you can no longer sculpt on the objects in that one layer. can anyone else confirm this. This feature could be meant just for at the last when you are ready to retopo, I do not know, Andrew did not say either way...

Works for me, Dig:

post-12523-0-79914300-1446859220_thumb.j

Have you tried with default preferences?

Edited by ajz3d

• Reputable Contributor

Works for me, Dig:

attachicon.gifsculpt-on-surfaces-merged-without-booleans.jpg

Have you tried with default preferences?

EDIT:  LOL,, I never use my mouse to sculpt with but was excited about the merger commands, so was messing about just using the mouse... I remembered for some reason with my tablet plugged in some of the brushes will not function with my mouse, know idea why but I use a tablet anyway so never has been an issue... Could be related to the gaming mouse drivers...

False alarm, no fire just smoke... :blush:

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Here is some more useful information on the seam problem... 

It appears that the routine that is creating the padding bleed is not transitioning one side very well.  One side of the uv seam has a nice smooth transition while the painted side is not having that nice transition but missing some paint data for the padding bleed.

Linear Texturing filtering turned on...

Solid alpha used with no falloff, 100% opacity, One straight stroke only... Small brush radius...

Hopefully, Andrew will find this useful...

post-518-0-15256000-1446968099_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

• Contributor

Here is some more useful information on the seam problem... 

It appears that the routine that is creating the padding bleed is not transitioning one side very well.  One side of the uv seam has a nice smooth transition while the painted side is not having that nice transition but missing some paint data for the padding bleed.

Linear Texturing filtering turned on...

Solid alpha used with no falloff, 100% opacity, One straight stroke only... Small brush radius...

Hopefully, Andrew will find this useful...

Nice job working those grey cells, David! :)

• Advanced Member

Strange issue but I have a work around for it.   :)  I imported a obj file that was created with Blender into 3D-Coat for uv mapping/ppp painting.  I then did a auto uv map on the objects, auto scaled them, and applied the uv set.  Then in the paint room it looks like this with black speckles on the object.  

post-38101-0-52879600-1447037633_thumb.p

Then when trying to paint on it the speckles will not go away and you can not paint the normal map.  As you can see here:

post-38101-0-20198500-1447037711_thumb.p

The only way I have found to fix this is to save a 3b file and restart 3D-Coat with the file loaded.  I can reproduce this every time.  I tried not running the auto uv map and scale, but instead going directly into the paint room but the results are the same.  

Jason

Edited to add that this is for the linux version 4.5.20.

Edited by Grimm

Strange issue but I have a work around for it.   :)  I imported a obj file that was created with Blender into 3D-Coat for uv mapping/ppp painting.  I then did a auto uv map on the objects, auto scaled them, and applied the uv set.  Then in the paint room it looks like this with black speckles on the object.  

attachicon.gif3d-coat-speckle.png

Then when trying to paint on it the speckles will not go away and you can not paint the normal map.  As you can see here:

attachicon.gif3d-coat-speckle2.png

The only way I have found to fix this is to save a 3b file and restart 3D-Coat with the file loaded.  I can reproduce this every time.  I tried not running the auto uv map and scale, but instead going directly into the paint room but the results are the same.  

Jason

Edited to add that this is for the linux version 4.5.20.

This may happen if two absolutely same (probably duplicated) objects of different colors are in scene. Z-fighting happens then.

• Advanced Member

As Andrew said there probably are two overlapping objects in the scene. You UV-mapped one of the objects, the other one doesn't have UVs applied. 

Either this happened in Blender (you imported the two overlapping objects into 3DCoat), you need to export it again. Or the duplication happened in 3DCoat somehow, you can delete the duplicate in the 'Paint Objects' list.

Edited by wilson66

• Reputable Contributor

I was seeing how Nvidia's IRay Renderer is being intergated in applications... Maybe this is possible with 3DC to create better beauty shots.

What it's cost to the developer to have this integration, I do not know... It would be great to have this integration though. 

You could have the normal renderer but being able to select IRay as a renderer too..

IRay fully supports PBR materials.

A nice additional selling point for 3DC version 5 whenever it is released.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia-iray.html

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

I was seeing how Nvidia's IRay Renderer is being intergated in applications... Maybe this is possible with 3DC to create better beauty shots.

What it's cost to the developer to have this integration, I do not know... It would be great to have this integration though. 

You could have the normal renderer but being able to select IRay as a renderer too..

IRay fully supports PBR materials.

A nice additional selling point for 3DC version 5 whenever it is released.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia-iray.html

Feel free to add a +1

Integration of NVIDIA DesignWorks tools

• Advanced Member

Thanks Andrew, Wilson66, I double checked the paint objects list and the object in Blender but no duplicates.  I did figure out what the problem is.  When I exported the obj file, I had the include uvs checked.  But because the object had no uvs defined, Blender must have put bad uvs in the file.  When I export with out the include uvs checked it works fine.  Must be something about the bad uvs that causes 3D-Coat to break?

Thanks,

Jason

Edited by Grimm

• Reputable Contributor

I did...  :)

I do hope Andrew is interested in this renderer for 3DC, that is if it is possible with the current coding of 3DC.

And here is a link to the main IRay page.

http://www.nvidia-arc.com/iray.html

Edited by digman

Yes i am , even i very simple shapes.

Thought it was just me.....

Strange. I tried to reproduce it here on my workstation, but it worked with a simple mesh.

I have win10 at my client pc where the problem appear. Here in my homeoffice I use a win8 workstation.

Will take a look at this. It is really important, because I need some changes in a huge project model.

• Like 1

• Contributor

I am having issues on Win 7 ult x 64 and on Win 8.1 pro.

Tried in several models and it appears to happen mostly when you approach at the edge of the polygon (where polygon ends)

I am having issues on Win 7 ult x 64 and on Win 8.1 pro.

Tried in several models and it appears to happen mostly when you approach at the edge of the polygon (where polygon ends)

Here it happen always. I have a 25 mio sculpt as reference for a 300k "lowpoly" that have to be snapped.

@Michaelgdrs: I guess I have found the reason at my side: I still have had an old mesh version in the paint room. 3D-coat gave the snap priority to the model in the paint room for snapping.

So I deleted the one in the paint room and voila, now the snap works with the meshes in the voxel room.

Maybe you have the same problem.

• Contributor

No problem still exists.

Although the more i use it , the more i see the super speed on low poly painting Andrew managed to bring to the table.

Congats Andrew.