3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Reputable Contributor

Is there any steps to reproduce? I tried random tools, no luck...

To reproduce the problem I used a stencil in voxel mode in the sculpt room. "Primitive Cube" Extrude Tool was selected using the rectangle spline, I extruded a few times... Then used the smooth tool 10 times... Started undoing and undo stopped working after about 4 or 5 undos..

This is still happening in version Windows 64 bit non-cuda, Dx. 4.5.21, I just tested...

Edited by digman

• Contributor

Sooooooooo impressed from the speed in low poly sooooooo impressed.

Honestly it saves more around 30 to 50% time when comparing to the previous speed.

Its feels so natural and realtime , in fact more than realtime like x 2 or something.

Speaking of performance, 3DC eats up a lot of CPU power by default. I was messing around on a 350tri model with a 256 texture the other day, 40% cpu usage...but even if I work on a 50k tri mesh with a 4k texture it eats only about 40-70%. It's weird.

Not like its really a problem, just makes my fans louder then I'd like when working on low spec work :p

Edited by PolyHertz

• Reputable Contributor

I posted some information on this user's problem... I thought I put the link here as well... 

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18546

I addressed the seam problem I found... Whether it is 3DC or their 3D application exporting problem, I of course do not know...

Edited by digman

This is the last i'm going to post about the seam problem, it gets fixed or not.
I just can't use 3D coat in this state cause just 1 pixel in a low texture size really stands out.
*256/512/1024 sizes are the norm for mobile and web games

Of course trying to make a video I find another bug...
*can't draw pixels at the angle I have the view rotated

Besides the issue of not being able to paint pixels at certain angles..

I was trying to show how the padding seems to be calculated from a 4x4 blending
Not what I want!
Also seems to be a "off by .5" error, at the end you will see you can't paint
the "1/2" pixel closest to the seam.

Anyway, I suggest an option to not blend and just copy the pixel to the padding.

56466e8f62769.png

• Reputable Contributor

This is the last i'm going to post about the seam problem, it gets fixed or not.

I just can't use 3D coat in this state cause just 1 pixel in a low texture size really stands out.

*256/512/1024 sizes are the norm for mobile and web games

Of course trying to make a video I find another bug...

*can't draw pixels at the angle I have the view rotated

Besides the issue of not being able to paint pixels at certain angles..

I was trying to show how the padding seems to be calculated from a 4x4 blending

Not what I want!

Also seems to be a "off by .5" error, at the end you will see you can't paint

the "1/2" pixel closest to the seam.

Anyway, I suggest an option to not blend and just copy the pixel to the padding.

This is similar to what I reported on page 106 of the beta thread... 3DC padding is not quite smoothly filling in the gaps in transitioning the padding pixels along the seams... If you turn off Linear filtering you can see the slight shade difference in the pixels... Hopefully Andrew has a solution...

post-518-0-04342100-1447460311_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

4.5.22 [beta]

- several options for padding method in Preferences.

- fixed stepping problem in Pose tool - http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1762

- Image may be directly dropped onto Smart matrial editor slots

- Textures->Import ao/cavity corrected to import textures for different uv-sets on the same layer

- Fixed crash in polgon painting mode

- Clear selection command in Retopo/Select path

- Flip faces comand in retopo/select

- Capsule caps parameters are working correctly now.

• Like 3

• Reputable Contributor

3DC version beta 4.5.22 non-cuda 64 bit----Windows 7

The color picker using the V key or using the sampler icon appears not to be working. Choose color from all layers is enabled.

Can someone confirm this? 

Also, the below has been going on for a while and not sure if it is a bug or since we got PBR it no longer works...

Problem: Per-Pixel Mode in the paint room...

When you press Ctrl-Alt-P there is no projection data in Photoshop CC. No model image or colors... It is empty except for the wirefire

EDIT:

If you use "Edit Projections in Ext. Editor" under the Edit Menu it works, Just not the hotkey combo... I will test some more... 

Got it>>> The hotkey combo had been resigned to "Edit all metal Layers". I did not resigned them... I set a new hotkey combo, all works good now... 

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

4.5.22 [beta]

- Image may be directly dropped onto Smart matrial editor slots

Great adddition, I can not get it to work though. When I drag an image from Windows Explorer or a DAM into one of the map slots nothing happens

or I get the Popup which offers me to create Alphas, Strips etc. What also doesn't work and would be helpful was dragging a already loaded map

from one slot to the next(or getting a dropdown with all referenced bitmaps to choose from). Another thing I found useful: Doubleclick on the

Shaderball opens the Material Editor.

• Reputable Contributor

Limited Testing on the new padding settings choices we have... First, like to say Thank you Andrew for working on this problem...

" Take Interpolated Color"  Seems best for general painting and even better at higher resolutions. 

"Naive" which I think was meant to be "Native" as Naive means lack of wisdom, understanding, He was naive in thinking that he could make a A+ animation on his first day at animation school... ;)

"Naive"... Seems best for pixel painting... I could pixel paint right on one side of the seam ( no linear texture filter) without some partially transparent pixels appearing on the other side of the seam. This was not possible in former versions of 3DC...

"Take Nearest Opposite Pixel" My least favorite of the 3 as it seems closer to the old style with it's problems. I will have to test this one some more...

Generally it seems that Andrew also just did some deeper work on the problem as well... Nothing is perfect in life and I do not expect it to be so, these routines are better. Will you encounter some problems yes,,, We are working over seams. There can be stretching because of the uv set layout or at worse just a bad uv seam layout... 3DC cannot correct that and no padding routine is iron clad so I always expect some clean-up but now that has been reduced...

Testing done in PPP mode with a 512k map...

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Naive is NAIVE, not native. It is simplest and works not good if displacement used. But for some cases it really works as you need.

LOL,.. Ok  Andrew, I got it... it is the simplest routine... Though not a normal word one would use for a setting, that is in American vernacular. We would just use the word "Simple"

This setting does works good for pixel painting and again thank you for all the hard work... 

Forget to mention,,, " Take Interpolated Color" , it indeed is good for displacement...

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Great adddition, I can not get it to work though. When I drag an image from Windows Explorer or a DAM into one of the map slots nothing happens

or I get the Popup which offers me to create Alphas, Strips etc. What also doesn't work and would be helpful was dragging a already loaded map

from one slot to the next(or getting a dropdown with all referenced bitmaps to choose from). Another thing I found useful: Doubleclick on the

Shaderball opens the Material Editor.

It works if your 3DC is not maximized.... Though it should work either way... 

3DC maximized... from the taskbar, open Windows explorer and drag a file into a slot, nothing happens.

Unmaximize 3DC then you can drag in an image file to a Smart Materal slot, that works...

That is how it is working on my end ATM...

Edited by digman

• Contributor

I confirm the above issues as well.

And i must say that i am again really impressed from the additions and bug fixes.

Thank you Andrew and rest of the team.

• Reputable Contributor

Off topic, but does anyone know if 3DC has a scratchpad feature (like in Paint Tool SAI. digital equivalent to a palette board for mixing colors) ? If not, it would be a nice addition.

Nope not ATM, would be nice though... I maded my own color mixer for now, though the tools available... 

I created a mixing palette board in TwistedBrush... I can either mix colors or use a gradient blend of colors ( gray gradient is shown on the right but colors as well can be used)

When done mixing a few colors, Copy that layer to the Windows Clipboard.

Now jump back to 3DC, paste it into the additional color palette from 3DC's Windows menu drop list. In this 3DC color palette, you have no need to click on a color but just hover over it for selection.

I can keep jumping back and forth as needed and update the color palette... Plus can save the Palette in Twistedbrush for later use.

The old saying in digital painting, The best thing about digital painting is that we have millions of colors to choose from, the worst thing about digital painting is we have millions of colors to choose from... LOL 

The colors shown are highly saturated, I did not drop a grayscale layer over them set to color mode to desaturate them to what I would need. This was just for show...

post-518-0-16460200-1447537436_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-99853200-1447537471_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

It works if your 3DC is not maximized.... Though it should work either way...

3DC maximized... from the taskbar, open Windows explorer and drag a file into a slot, nothing happens.

Unmaximize 3DC then you can drag in an image file to a Smart Materal slot, that works...

That is how it is working on my end ATM...

Thanks Digman,

I never use any program in non maximized state but I gave it a try. On my end this doesn't get drag and drop to work either.

3DC version beta 4.5.22 non-cuda 64 bit----Windows 7

The color picker using the V key or using the sampler icon appears not to be working. Choose color from all layers is enabled.

Can someone confirm this? 

Confirmed in pixel paint mode. I go back to v.21. Can't work without color picker.

• Like 1