3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Contributor

Can copy channels be fixed once and for all, please? Copying metallic channel doesn't work. Who knows what else.

Never mind. User error. ;)

The layer must contain colour information for copy channel to work (at least when it comes to extra channels like roughness and metallic).

---

Actually it still doesn't work correctly. Artifacts appear when copying metallic to luminosity (the metallic map isn't intended for this model, but that's irrelevant. Note the squarish artifacts in the colour channel).

post-12523-0-26427400-1448846214_thumb.j

Metallic copied to red:

post-12523-0-36137800-1448846324_thumb.j

Strangely enough, when copied to roughness/glossiness, it looks OK.

Can this tool be fixed once and for all? It's one of those tools that could help in some workarounds when a problem is encountered, but when it's most needed, it never works correctly. :dash2:

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Problem with AO baking in paint room (might be user error or intended behavior). Not specific to newest beta.

If I hide objects in the surface materials list in paint room and then calculate AO, they don't receive AO information, but still cast shadows onto other objects. This could be wanted behavior, but needs to be adjustable so hidden objects neither receive nor cast shadows/ occlusion.

Problem with AO baking in paint room (might be user error or intended behavior). Not specific to newest beta.

If I hide objects in the surface materials list in paint room and then calculate AO, they don't receive AO information, but still cast shadows onto other objects. This could be wanted behavior, but needs to be adjustable so hidden objects neither receive nor cast shadows/ occlusion.

Thanks already fixed. Corrected version will be available soon, along with other additions in baking lighting.

• Like 4

• Reputable Contributor

This new user problem crops up a number of times, causes frustration for a new user and my time to explain what is causing the errors..

The Problem below:

Re-baking to the paint room with a current model previously baked residing in the paintroom... This causes errors and the new user is not aware of the need to remove the previously baked model and unused layers before re-baking.

Is it possible to add a warning popup if the same previous baked same named object is still in the paintroom. The popup would warn the user to remove the model and any unused layers before re-baking.

Edited by digman
  • Like 4

• Advanced Member

I do not crash . loads in fine with obj.  and I am using 4.5.03    I do get some floating squares in the  texture editor 2d and on the mesh .it looks say alpha checkers .did as you painted in ppp saved out obj with texture. Then back in with Microvertex  painting .   I do crash in the Render Room if I check  Real Time Render then  right to windows desktop ..  FYI  I am on  win 8.1  .

Can copy channels be fixed once and for all, please? Copying metallic channel doesn't work. Who knows what else.

Never mind. User error. ;)

The layer must contain colour information for copy channel to work (at least when it comes to extra channels like roughness and metallic).

---

Actually it still doesn't work correctly. Artifacts appear when copying metallic to luminosity (the metallic map isn't intended for this model, but that's irrelevant. Note the squarish artifacts in the colour channel).

attachicon.gifscreenshot_15-11-30_02_00_22.jpg

Metallic copied to red:

attachicon.gifscreenshot_15-11-30_02_01_38.jpg

Strangely enough, when copied to roughness/glossiness, it looks OK.

Can this tool be fixed once and for all? It's one of those tools that could help in some workarounds when a problem is encountered, but when it's most needed, it never works correctly. :dash2:

On my simple tests over creature all works as expected, probably there is some combination of layers. Please send me any example for ease of reproducing.

• Advanced Member

I know it's probably very hard to do, but it'd be very, very nice if some kind of subdivision algorithm (e.g. open subdiv) could be implemented (like Mari has in the new version 3).

I'm having a very hard time at the moment to get textures from 3DCoat into XSI undistorted. I have a character with a very low resolution jacket that will be converted to a subdivision surface and that has textured seams running along a UV shell edge (meaning that any texture distortions will be very noticable).

Because XSI only has linear UVs (no UV smoothing possible) its not easy to work on a subdivided model in 3DCoat and then export a texture from it that will be displayed without distortions on the low resolution object in XSI. If you know what I mean...

Edited by wilson66

• Advanced Member

I do not crash . loads in fine with obj.  and I am using 4.5.03    I do get some floating squares in the  texture editor 2d and on the mesh .it looks say alpha checkers .did as you painted in ppp saved out obj with texture. Then back in with Microvertex  painting .   I do crash in the Render Room if I check  Real Time Render then  right to windows desktop ..  FYI  I am on  win 8.1  .

I tried some other object and do not crash, but this specific project which I'm working on, with painted textures, normals and else, made on PPP crashes everytime I try do import into micro vertex work space. 

I know it's probably very hard to do, but it'd be very, very nice if some kind of subdivision algorithm (e.g. open subdiv) could be implemented (like Mari has in the new version 3).

I'm having a very hard time at the moment to get textures from 3DCoat into XSI undistorted. I have a character with a very low resolution jacket that will be converted to a subdivision surface and that has textured seams running along a UV shell edge (meaning that any texture distortions will be very noticable).

Because XSI only has linear UVs (no UV smoothing possible) its not easy to work on a subdivided model in 3DCoat and then export a texture from it that will be displayed without distortions on the low resolution object in XSI. If you know what I mean...

I've requested Open SubDiv a few times, and again more recently. I know Andrew is aware of the need. It seems more a matter of time at this point. There are three big features at the moment that are awaiting implementation:

Paint Layer Masks

Sculpt Layers

Open SubDiv

Most likely in that order. :)

On the linear/non-linear UVs, that would be a huge issue. 3DC only exports linear UVs, So I'm a little confused here. Do you mean XSI supports only non-linear UVs? I haven't used XSI in a long time now so I can't help directly there, but as a temporary solution you could use a tool that supports both by baking to the new linear/non-linear UVs (which ever you need).

• Like 2

• Contributor

I never subdivide in 3D-Coat because its algorithm isn't compatible with any of the subdivision algorithms available in a 3D package of my choice (Houdini).

Instead, I use an old school method that I picked up on CGTalk years ago. I presubdivide my low-poly model at least once in the software I will be rendering in, and use this presubdivided geometry as a retopo mesh for baking and texturing. This ensures that the geometry subdivision and UV smoothing will be correct and no deformation nor seams will occur. Of course this might look wonky when applied to a low-poly model, but who cares if on the final shot, when geometry is subdivided multiple times, it will look perfect?

---

Andrew, can you add 16-bit normal map export capabilities to 3D-Coat? 16-bit normal maps provide much higher shading quality in programs that support them, and for those programs that don't, they can still be converted to 8-bit with a nice dithering. This is especially important for subtle curvatures where banding might occur due to lack of bit depth.

---

Can you also add a drop box that would allow for choosing the amount of anti-aliasing for baked maps?

• Like 2

• Contributor

On my simple tests over creature all works as expected, probably there is some combination of layers. Please send me any example for ease of reproducing.

I don't remember now what map I loaded as a metallic channel, but layer configurations was something like:

- targetLayer (target layer for copy channels, filled with colour)

- sourceLayer (with metallic channel loaded from file)

- Layer 0

Once I get this bug again I'll send you the scene straight away.

• Contributor

Same here since many versions back.

Sometimes they get hidden , some times erased , sometime i edit the material and on save its there.

But when i rename the folder back to its original name other folders get mixed with it!!!

• Like 1

I don't really understand why people are asking for paint layer masks. Every single paint layer in 3d coat can be used as a mask for other layers.

Paint your mask, choose the layer that is used as source, and link it with your mask. The most important: set the mask layer opacity to 0 then. Voila! In this way you can link as much layers to the mask as you want. And they can have different layer list positions even below the actual mask. Which tool can do this?

Or do I misunderstand something?

3d coat have already really strong mask functions.

Hey Chris! I actually like how 3DC handles layer masking, I prefer it really for the reasons you mentioned. It is so much more flexible. I think the thing people really want out of layer masks is the exact same functionality as PS and direct .PSD support. When you're using the PS<>3DC syncing function, layer masks are really supported when sending a file to PS or back to 3DC. So in this regard, it would be very nice to have.

I would even settle for a way to have 3DC send the layer you're using to mask another as a "real" PS style layer mask, and when you send it back to 3DC, 3DC would remember that it is actually a layer.

Just my two bits.

• Contributor

Same here since many versions back.

Sometimes they get hidden , some times erased , sometime i edit the material and on save its there.

But when i rename the folder back to its original name other folders get mixed with it!!!

I keep having that same issue. I know it's been reported. Not sure why it hasn't been fixed. It's a huge, huge showstopper.

Do I need to reinstall the materials now or is there some way to get them back?

• Like 1

• Contributor

Its not the packages  :paint2:  ;)  that drove me nuts (ok they did too ahahahahaha )  , it happened a couple dozen times lol in commercial projects on the delivery days and while i had to do minor painting corrections... AND I COULDN'T with out the materials ahahahahahahahahahaa

But not complaining at all , i know Andrew will fix this

• Like 1

Do I need to reinstall the materials now or is there some way to get them back?

I know this doesn't help after the fact, but always back up your smart materials (and everything else you make), before deleting a folder or even an individual material, brush, etc.. That way when you delete something, you can just reinstall it. I know it's also a huge pain in the butt. So hopefully it'll get fixed. I just wish it was soon. I know we have been dealing with this issue for months now. :o

I usually delete the folder from my documents and re install.

You just cant imagine how many times i did this (if i say maybe 100 + no one will believe me)

I totally believe you. :) I've got a lot of smart materials I want to share, but it is so time consuming to export a single material at the moment (you've got to import an entire back up if you have them already, then delete all the others you don't want from the folder, causing the shit storm mentioned above), that it's not worth the time or effort. Which is too bad.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Exactly that Javis.

So many times i want to remove materials that are costumer / firm related and i cant sell and i always do the exact same mistake..... BOOOMMM there goes all the materials deleted or randomly placed to other folders lol. 

I believe issue has to do with the gui id and the position coordinates of each material and its icon.

• Like 1

• Contributor

On new beta 25 that i first must congrats you all guys , in the extrude face commands you need to set it free.

Meaning ,

now we extrude and with enter we extrude again. Perfect.

But we cant choose another polygon / face and extrude this on and so on ,  we must finish the command , select new face and pick extrude again..

Setting this free will get us  one step closer to low poly modelling in 3d coat.

4.5.25 [beta]

- problem of loosing PBR materials probably fixed, but anyway requires careful checking.

- Edge loops with SHIFT + click in retopo/select/edges mode

- 3D spline points from E-panel may be transformed by gizmo and re-snapped to surface using "Attach to surface" without flattening.

- The problem of painting over mirrored islands at least partially resolved. Now there is option in preferences "Prevent double painting over stacked UV islands". See description there. 90% of cases require this option to be turned off.

- Resolved little scripting issue - 3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=2056

- Cancel in Smart materials editor will remove only completely empty materials (they appear if you press + button). Previously condition for removing was less strict.

- If you you are in 3D selection E-mode, loading spline will not switch you to 2D spline mode. Transforming 3D spline with gizmo is also allowed.

- If you bake multiple times same scene again and again, 3D-Coat asks if results of previous baking shouls be deleted.

- Re-organised retopo commands a bit - separated commands applicable to currect tool and to whole mesh.

- Free extrude command in select/edges retopo toolset

- Group # instad of Layer # for default names for paint groups.

- In retopo->edges->tranform ENTER will commit extrusion as well as in faces mode.

- Selection retopo transform gizmo got "Auto in local cpace" checkbox.

- Retopo/transform tool works correctly also in case when elements selected from both sides.

- ENTER in retopo transform/extrude tools will commit extrusion.

- More safe moving materials to other folders

- Rename material folder corrected

- fixed problem of spline stroke that may work incorrectly over transformed volumes.

• Like 2