3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

I was looking forward to the next update after .23 in the hopes that with the drag / drop of images to the various texture slots for smart materials would have had that issue with requiring the use of Alt-Tab for it to work to be eliminated since it was discovered to be what the problem was.

Now when I attempt to drop an image over the Smart Material color slot Alt-Tab or not, the cursor remains an X and it appears drag / dorp is no longer supported at all??  What happened?

-Will

Edited by WillBellJr

• Reputable Contributor

Object > Split is working fine here

Split Tool is present and working in my beta version 4.5.25 64 bit non-cuda... OpenGL and DX.

Voxel and surface mode...

Ah, the old happening for some users and not others, always a tough nut to crack. 

EDIT: I do not use the icons but text in the left toolbar... Maybe a icon problem? 

Split also appears in the space bar popup menu...

A big thank for the warning message about removing the duplicate mesh in the paint room before re-baking...  :D

I might suggest this phase "Remove Duplicate from Paint Room" for the sake of clarity.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Another big thank you for the below... Andrew you the Man!

1. Free extrude command in select/edges retopo toolset
 2. In retopo->edges->tranform ENTER will commit extrusion as well as in faces mode.

Regarding the second feature, I can extrude with the transform tool either edges or faces, press enter, then just rinse and repeat to keep extruding new polygons...  :drinks:

Edited by digman

Don't believe I've ever uninstalled / reinstalled these updates before, but if that fixes it, so be it...

As a side note, before 3DC "when PBR", there used to be 2 "rock" materials (they were "spotted gray & brown"), I no longer see those materials now - I used to use them when creating asteroids for my game.

Is there a way to recover those, I used to depend on them a lot, for example:

Asteroid11.3b.jpg

-Will

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Don't believe I've ever uninstalled / reinstalled these updates before, but if that fixes it, so be it...

As a side note, before 3DC "when PBR", there used to be 2 "rock" materials (they were "spotted gray & brown"), I no longer see those materials now - I used to use them when creating asteroids for my game.

Is there a way to recover those, I used to depend on them a lot, for example:

Asteroid11.3b.jpg

-Will

If you have the old MyDocuments/3D Coat V4 folder, you should be able to copy the shaders folder and paste it into the 4.5 one. I also think many of those shaders are still available from the mainpage > Download > Resources.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

There seems to be 2 new bugs in beta 25:

- when adding mesh to layer, two duplicates of same mesh are created (sculpt room)

- there are artifacts on mesh when using LC General Clay brush

Beta version 4.5.25 Windows 7 64 bit non-cuda, opengl.

Confirmed on getting artifacts when using the LC General Clay brush... (default settings)

post-518-0-29384500-1450198781_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

I added mesh display bug on mantis: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=2062

How about inserting new mesh into layer? Can you recreate it too?

Also I had problem, when importing second normal texture, to paint room. They seems ok, but when I switch 'relief only' shaded model normals seems inverted. And they are exported inverted too (but. I use blender preset at import time - for normal)

• Reputable Contributor

@Jose...

Could you explain more about inserting a new mesh to a layer...  maybe show a picture... Not sure if you are talking about importing a new mesh to a layer, adding a primitive, models panel, cloning etc...

Was the external normal map created in blender?  Not enough information for testing... more details needed.

If possible share the 3DC file and external normal map for testing. You could pm me with a link to download...

Edited by digman

If you have the old MyDocuments/3D Coat V4 folder, you should be able to copy the shaders folder and paste it into the 4.5 one. I also think many of those shaders are still available from the mainpage > Download > Resources.

Thanks, AbnRanger, downloaded the nature pack, but that (and the others) didn't have the ones I'm looking for, oh well...

-Will

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks, AbnRanger, downloaded the nature pack, but that (and the others) didn't have the ones I'm looking for, oh well...

-Will

Did you try the ones on this page?

http://3d-coat.com/download/resources/file-list/?tx_neofileshare_pi4[cat]=4

And to be honest, I' just go into the Paint room and use the PBR materials to paint them on...use the Fill tool and with a single click it will fill the whole object. It will look a lot better than those old shaders.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

@Jose...

Could you explain more about inserting a new mesh to a layer...  maybe show a picture... Not sure if you are talking about importing a new mesh to a layer, adding a primitive, models panel, cloning etc...

Was the external normal map created in blender?  Not enough information for testing... more details needed.

If possible share the 3DC file and external normal map for testing. You could pm me with a link to download...

About importing mesh, I figured out what is happening. Basically when I has symmetry enabled and I want  to import tool (from left toolbar, or space menu) 3dc is creating 2 copies of mesh. And if I have option 'import as child' enabled, 3dc is creating left copy for parent layer, right copy for child layer:

nSVfjsv.jpg

Also I finally get it, why sometimes putting simple sphere on center of scene fails. If I have symmetry enabled 3d coat is booleaning left and right copy, which are overlapping 100%, and that is why it fails to create sphere (because boolean fails).

I wish Andrew prevented this, by checking obj. position on mesh addition. So if object x position is ==0, then just make one copy, without boolean, else make right and left copy, with boolean.

And if 'import as child' is enabled just put both copies into single child layer (not one to child, one to parent layer, like it is now).

About importing normals, sorry I can't share the file.  But basically, when I import second normal (from external file) 3dc messes up green chanel display in 'relief only' display mode. And if I export my uv painted object, throught file-> export obj & textures, normal green channel is flipped too.

Edited by JoseConseco

• Reputable Contributor

@jose

So far I am not encountered any normal map problems when importing an external normal map using the Blender setting when importing under the Textures menu.

My 3DC normal map preset setting in Preferences is setup up for Blender atm as I am working on a Blender render.

If my normal map settings was in preferences setup for UnReal, then I would convert the normal map say from Blender to that same setting when importing the normal map from the textures menu. 

I am only guessing here as your workflow details have not included where the normal map came from, What program / game engine the normal map is to be rendered in, your 3DC preferences for normal maps, or if you are converting the normal map to that same setting when importing. Maybe a NDA agreement prevents this information.

ATM a little hard to tell if it is a bug or not in the newest beta.  I am a user like you and answer problems at the fourm when I have time, so the more detailed information you give, the less time I have to spend figuring things out... 

Edited by digman