3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

Did you try the ones on this page?

http://3d-coat.com/download/resources/file-list/?tx_neofileshare_pi4[cat]=4

And to be honest, I' just go into the Paint room and use the PBR materials to paint them on...use the Fill tool and with a single click it will fill the whole object. It will look a lot better than those old shaders.

Yes, those are the ones I downloaded, they had things that were "close", but way darker, definitely not the originals that were included back then.

I guess I should just cobble together some rock images into a rocky tilable, or just Bitmap2Material up something I can use as a replacement, I just really like using those old ones while sculpting...

If i make you a couple pbr ones are they going to be useful to you?

That's really nice of you Michael, it's not that serious for me. I can spend the time and come up with something as a replaement.

If you were to make some rock shaders / materials, I'd prefer it to be for the 3DC community, not just for me.

I appreciate the offer though, really nice of you - thanks.

Thanks Guys!

-Will

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Yes, those are the ones I downloaded, they had things that were "close", but way darker, definitely not the originals that were included back then.

I guess I should just cobble together some rock images into a rocky tilable, or just Bitmap2Material up something I can use as a replacement, I just really like using those old ones while sculpting...

That's really nice of you Michael, it's not that serious for me. I can spend the time and come up with something as a replaement.

If you were to make some rock shaders / materials, I'd prefer it to be for the 3DC community, not just for me.

I appreciate the offer though, really nice of you - thanks.

Thanks Guys!

-Will

I have the rock shaders for you, I sent you a pm yesterday to see if you still needed them or not...

They are uploading now to the pm message...

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

New Beta Retopo Tools... First I understand these tools are very early beta or even late alpha tools... 

I know how to use the RFill, QuadPaint and RetopoShell tools. These will be great additions as they mature. 

QuadStrip, it draws green strokes but I can not figure out it's use... Anyone know how to use this tool?

Later, I will comment on what I would like to see improved in the new beta tools...

Edited by digman

• Contributor

New Beta Retopo Tools... First I understand these tools are very early beta or even late alpha tools...

I know how to use the RFill, QuadPaint and RetopoShell tools. These will be great additions as they mature.

SelectOnly doesn't seem to work for RetopoShell. RFill is a little bit buggy - when the tool is misused, meaning that once an existing island is LMB clicked, the tool removes some vertices or overlaps polygons - but it does its job when its used properly. :)

QuadStrip, it draws green strokes but I can not figure out it's use... Anyone know how to use this tool?

I too couldn't figure out how to use it. :( Too bad because I was very eager to try it out as I feel that this will be a real kickass tool.

• Reputable Contributor

@ajz3d

Since know one else has replied, I think the QuadStrip beta / alpha tool is non-functioning atm.

The other 3 are like Andrew said early, early beta.

I think he put these out here so bugs could be reveled / discovered by a number of users... a first pass so to speak...

Also to get feedback on what improvements could be made.

I found the bugs as well but have not posted anything about them yet.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

I created a very simple ring object and then ran Autopo on it which went well.  I added some more seams in the Retopo room and then I tried to accept the UVs to bring them into the Paint room.  But that option is missing, at least I can't find it anymore.  Maybe I'm in a strange mode?

post-38101-0-78353700-1450422391_thumb.p

Also the Autopo didn't complete the process like it usually does, although I think others had commented on that already?  Thanks,

Jason

Edited to add 3D-Coat version:  4.5.23b

Edited by Grimm
  • Like 1

After working on the Max applink for a while, there are two things I think really need to get fixed:

-Fix for UI undocking bug when using Applinks (anytime 3DC auto loads a file using "import.txt" it undocks random UI windows).
-Fix for run.txt application autorun happening too early (it shouldn't run the app until user presses OK in Export Options).

I'm looking at maaaybe updating or remaking some of the other applinks, but I don't want to bother if at least the first issue isn't going to be resolved.

Also on that note, where did the online scripting manual go?

Edited by PolyHertz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Is it possible to get a fix to be able to hide the freeze mask in the main PBR viewport. its really distracting to paint with this . its been bugged for quite awhile. 

http://3dcoat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1850

You can always change the way the freeze selection is displayed...to fit your preference. You can do this through the Freeze menu (Toggle Freeze View or Show/Hide Freeze selection)

• Advanced Member

yeh these functions are great and work fine in 4.1 but have been busted in the new PBR viewport/shaders since the 4.5 beta began. Show/Hide doesn't work. and the visible overlay effect of the mask is quite harsh . At a minimum id like to be able to just hide the freeze mask.

Edited by Boonta

• Advanced Member

is it possible to use a smart material as a mask generator ? so you are using the smart material to provide a cavity mask while you paint on the fly changing colors at will ? it seems possible in theory but i need to change the color in the smart material each time i need a new color which is a bit slow. unless there is a better way..........................?

is it possible to use a smart material as a mask generator ? so you are using the smart material to provide a cavity mask while you paint on the fly changing colors at will ? it seems possible in theory but i need to change the color in the smart material each time i need a new color which is a bit slow. unless there is a better way..........................?

Absolutely. :) Just paint the SM on a layer, then go to the layer you want to mask, click on the little arrow pointing downward on the right of the layer name and set the layer you want to be the clip mask (which will be the layer you painted the SM on), and hit Invert Clip Mask.

Now select the layer with the SM, turn the opacity depth & roughness (metalness too if you need) to 0%. That will do the trick. EDIT: Of course you can also not turn the opacities to 0% but whatever you like, for some more wear effects, which always looks good.

I did a video on the topic here, where I paint my mask to hide something I've already painted and want to rough up. Same principle, but just in reverse. Here's the link:

Edited by Javis
More info on Opacity/Depth/Etc.

• Advanced Member

the clip mask feature is pretty handy . i wish there as a visual way to see which layers have a clip mask and also which mask layer they are using to clip... even something simple like color coded icons or something 

• Like 1

• Contributor

Curves tool doesn't snap to 2D and 3D grid. It is only possible to snap their control points once they are created, and how it works is that it's not the centre of the point that gets snapped, but instead the point where you clicked your mouse on.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Curves tool doesn't snap to 2D and 3D grid. It is only possible to snap their control points once they are created, and how it works is that it's not the centre of the point that gets snapped, but instead the point where you clicked your mouse on.

I confirm the issue as well on the 2d grid.  I had noticed it about a month ago but never mentioned the issue... The point gizmo is not effected at all by the grid snap either. 

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

• Contributor

3D-Coat has permanently emptied my whole surface layer. At first I experienced a strange issue when I couldn't sculpt on the layer at all (the brush circle did not show up), even though the sculpture was visible. So I saved and reloaded the scene and WHAM - my layer is empty. 0 triangles.

I did not use proxy. I was only sculpting and rendering.

---

It happens whenever I press CTRL+M combination in the sculpt room and I don't have this combination mapped to anything. What's more, CTRL+M cannot be mapped to anything at all.

Can someone please try this combo and see if it makes the surface layer unsculptable and eventually deleted (upon scene reloading)?

Edited by ajz3d