3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Contributor

4.5.25A

Symm Copy result:

post-12523-0-14117500-1452708767_thumb.j

Surface mode, Z-Axis symmetry. Copying from Z+.

---

Decimation, Clean Surface, Weld Vertices, also cause similar issues (with symmetry on or off). Probably 3D-Coat corrupted my surface layer somewhere along the road.

---

Same with Tangent Smoothing.

Edited by ajz3d

• Reputable Contributor

While we are on the subject of mesh corruption.

Version beta 4.5.25 Non cuda 64 bit, GL, Windows 7 64 bit.

Voxel Mode.

Extrude brush with the Stamp Drag "X" tool from the e-panel

Drag to place your Alpha stamp.

Click Undo

Blam, big time mesh corruption on the Stamp extrusion. It only undo parts of the mesh.

post-518-0-63057700-1452729864_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

• Contributor

I'll try to reproduce it.

---

Regarding corruption from my post, tools that I were using are:

When layer was in voxel mode:

- Symmetry: Radial 16x (later 12x) + additional Z-plane

- Move, Build, Fill, Clay

Then after conversion to surface:

- Similar symmetry settings. Sometimes symmetry off only to temporarily turn on Z-plane for Symm Copy operation

- Move, LC Inflate (or what it's called, I'm not near my computer ATM), amForm, amSharp, LC CleanClay (decimate), Fill, LC Extrude, Pose

- Tangent Smoothing 25x

- Strong and Bump Smoothing

These are those that I remember.

I made duplicates of my layer as I progressed further into details.

I fixed the layer by converting it to super hi-res voxel volume and back to surface again. Makes me wonder why tools like Clean Surface are useless in fixing corrupted surfaces.

---

Andrew has fixed the CTRL+M bug.

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

And once again my VoxTree layer got corrupted when I was working in surface mode. Same symptoms.

---

Yet another problem. I call them "air pockets". They form up from time to time in brushed areas and are hard to remove:

post-12523-0-88491000-1452777611_thumb.j

post-12523-0-07102500-1452777616_thumb.j

Some of them are disconnected from the outer surface and float freely inside the mesh:

post-12523-0-29041200-1452777849_thumb.j

This happens on a mesh that was freshly converted from voxels. After some LC brushing.

The only reasonable way of removing those disconnected bubbles that I can think of, is to use Powerful Smoothing because it welds nearby vertices.

---

OK, this is ridiculous. There's no way I can hunt them all:

post-12523-0-65889000-1452778372_thumb.j

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

Merge Visible (no-booleans) crashes 3D-Coat (after long calculation time) if merged objects are instances. I suggest to automatically call Un-Instance for visible objects before running the operation.

---

Clone tool for voxels sometimes causes infamous Out of Memory error even though lots of memory is still available. This occurs randomly. Just a moment ago 3D-Coat crashed when I was attempting to clone a fragment of a voxelized 18M mesh. Next time I used it, on a similar fragment of the same mesh - it worked.

Edited by ajz3d

4.5.26 [beta]

- Big and important! Anti-atiased painting introduced everywhere - vertex paintg, ppp, mv, ptex. It is applied to stencils, materials, brushes, text, curved pictures.

See examples (stencils) - https://t.co/zI9lOpLUBt , text - https://t.co/iLTQsmmaik

- Export of metallness is possible in gloss/specular color workflow as well.

- Export dialog got controls to correct exported textures via gamma and curves correction (preparing to make good presets for all renders).

- Move via brush tool in retopo room will not snap vertex to cursor position even if thre is only one vertex in brush.

- Contours for cutting may be saved in UV and Retopo rooms, look in Commands->Save contour. Files may be saved as EPS or DXF. It is very useful for real thing production - like shoes or acryl details.

• Like 6

Yay, texture export curve correction! Definitely going to be using that.

I also posted this on the previous page, but can we get the bug fixed where random UI windows become undocked whenever importing via an applink? It's seriously annoying.

Edited by PolyHertz

• Contributor

Bug 

When dragging textures for creating smart materials it crashes 3d coat randomly. It may crash on normal, or metallness , or albedo.

Last 5 hours i am creating smart materials with the previous version and all good.

With the latest beta its crashing , tried to recreate previous smart materials with textures that i used before and it crashes again (so i eliminate the fact that my textures had an issue.

Send a bug report as well.

the clip mask feature is pretty handy . i wish there as a visual way to see which layers have a clip mask and also which mask layer they are using to clip... even something simple like color coded icons or something

I completely agree. If I were the project manager of 3DC, I would have the developers work only on these kinds of workflow enhancements and bug fixes for a while.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Bug 

When dragging textures for creating smart materials it crashes 3d coat randomly. It may crash on normal, or metallness , or albedo.

Last 5 hours i am creating smart materials with the previous version and all good.

With the latest beta its crashing , tried to recreate previous smart materials with textures that i used before and it crashes again (so i eliminate the fact that my textures had an issue.

Send a bug report as well.

Are you dragging them to Material editor slots or to Coat's viewport?
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Greetings Andrew , 

I drag the albedo first on the viewport , this works fine.

Once it opens the material editor and i start dragging into the slots it crashes.

Just rolled back to 4.5.25A and it works fine again.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for the update Andrew. :good: By the way, would it be possible to create an option in the Render Room for a Shadow/Reflection catching ground plane....that functions similar to the DOF plane (where you can adjust the distance/position). We have that in 3ds Max, using the iRay Manager, and it makes setting up a shadow-catching plane a snap. I'm not aware of a hack we could use to catch the shadow from an object so it looks like the model is actually in the scene. Right now the model just looks like it's floating in space, as you can see here.

145284241440.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thank you for the introduction of export presets!

Some additional suggestions: A check box which toggles export of mesh data was nice.That way one can skip re-export of meshes, in case

one has 3DCoat output already loaded into another program and only has the need to move updated textures from the Paint workspace to

another program. With this in place I think one could even remove the Texture Export Options in the "Textures" Menu Entry,

Was it thinkable to call Export presets from Hotkeys and to suppress the Export dialog? Such could make sense, in case one has 3DC textures

already hooked up in another program and has some final paint tweaks to make, with the preview renderer running.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Thank you for the introduction of export presets!

Some additional suggestions: A check box which toggles export of mesh data was nice.That way one can skip re-export of meshes, in case

one has 3DCoat output already loaded into another program and only has the need to move updated textures from the Paint workspace to

another program. With this in place I think one could even remove the Texture Export Options in the "Textures" Menu Entry,

Was it thinkable to call Export presets from Hotkeys and to suppress the Export dialog? Such could make sense, in case one has 3DC textures

already hooked up in another program and has some final paint tweaks to make, with the preview renderer running.

Agreed. Corona has some kind of update mechanism where simply re-exporting the file (overwriting the current one) will instantly change the materials and update those changes in the preview render.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

@polyxo, I would not go so far in saying remove the Texture export options under the Textures Menu...

Well, I would not insist, but a control which skips meshes on export would effectively make these entries redundant.

One could still export single textures or any combination of them and use Presets for each, including preferred file format. Just sayin...

Agreed. Corona has some kind of update mechanism where simply re-exporting the file (overwriting the current one) will instantly change the materials and update those changes in the preview render.

Yup, several renderers have this, they listen to file changes.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks, Carlos. With the PBR emphasis on Environment Maps, this is practically a MUST HAVE feature. Cause right now, in order to render a turn table with our Environment map as our background, our model has no shadows cast onto the ground, and looks like it's floating in space....rather than actually in that environment.

• Advanced Member

@ Shadow Catcher – this option would indeed greatly enhance plausibilty in quick shots with 3DC's internal renderer.

Here's a thread where I brought this topic up some months ago.This is about as good as I could get, admittedly after a

lot of twiddling with imported white groundplanes / setting background to white / using alpha channel. Still quite splotchy

shaddows...

jFG535O.jpg