3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Contributor

I get constant crashes using 3.5.26A when sculpting over default sphere or manbust with my presets (both Dx and Gl)

I attached crash report as 3Dcoat does not offer me to send it.I reverted to 4.5.25 (no crashes there)

I tried a clean install of 4.5.26A and also reverted to another nvidia driver to no avail. :( 

crash.zip

I moved back to 4.5.25 too. Had a crash in paint room when switching smart materials in fill mode.

Additionally bug: The smart material normalmaps will not be calculated in preview when using fill tool and select a material. I can see them when starting to edit a smart material. But  not always. Seems to be a bit buggy. The sm normalmaps works in pen mode.

Don't forget to implement undo for numericial values in smart materal editor! There is no undo implemeneted when typing in a value and want move back to the last input.

I moved back to 4.5.25 too. Had a crash in paint room when switching smart materials in fill mode.

Additionally bug: The smart material normalmaps will not be calculated in preview when using fill tool and select a material. I can see them when starting to edit a smart material. But  not always. Seems to be a bit buggy. The sm normalmaps works in pen mode.

Don't forget to implement undo for numericial values in smart materal editor! There is no undo implemeneted when typing in a value and want move back to the last input.

Are you sure you are on 54.5.26A?

@Andrew: Yes, I am shure about the version.

Something really important: Please make the smart material depth settings indipendent from brush.

No user can remember which brush settings were used when someone set a new material. Sorry, but this is really annoying. Try yourself. Change your brush tip size and depth settings and your smart material is useless, as soon as you click next time on it.

Or do I miss something?

I just want use a smart material like it was set by me. No more no less.

The same for cube projection please here. Please set the projektion size like it was saved in the material.

What I expect:

When I click on a material, then all my pen, depth and projection settings will be set back to the material settings. If I want now change them manually, I can do it.

But as soon as I click on the material again, the settings should be reset.

This would make the life more easier.

EDIT: My fault in case of the projection size. I forgot to save. Sorry.

But my wish for the pen settings is still needed please. Do it the same for the pen settings like the projection settings and save them into the smart material too please.

• Like 1

I get constant crashes using 3.5.26A when sculpting over default sphere or manbust with my presets (both Dx and Gl)

I attached crash report as 3Dcoat does not offer me to send it.I reverted to 4.5.25 (no crashes there)

I tried a clean install of 4.5.26A and also reverted to another nvidia driver to no avail. :(

attachicon.gifcrash.zip

Maybe you remember what tool was used whan crash happened? I still can't reprodice. Is it on big default sphere? How often does it happen?

• Contributor

Maybe you remember what tool was used whan crash happened? I still can't reprodice. Is it on big default sphere? How often does it happen?

always after approx 10seconds brushing ,using most of my Liveclay based presets (sharp ect..)

Big sphere or headbust....Its a pity crash file does not tell you what is wrong :(.

Anyway,maybe there is a problem on my side (windows,nvdia ect...) but crash does not happen in 4.5.25 now after 1 hour sculpting.

I will try redownloading 4.5.26A.

• Contributor

Still can't reproduce... Are you brushing with pen or mouse? Does same happen with mouse? Please show me screenshot with settings.

no special settings...really basic stuff. Crash happens when using mouse too.

Im not surprised you can't reproduce since Im the only user who seems to experience this with 4.5.26A. Normally I would think something is wrong on my system but since I experience no crashes at all in 4.5.25 it means it the issue comes from the build itself.

post-1195-0-72576600-1453019268_thumb.jp

I remember one time you sent me a build that was able to "record" the issue while happening that was better than crash file report.Maybe you can send me this kind of build again...

• Like 1

Hi !

3DC use FBX version 7.1 or 7.3 at import/export ?

Would like to know if it's possible to change which version my selection is exported as an .FBX file

On another apps, when you are exporting your mesh, options appear on how you want to export the mesh, including the version.

For any fileformat, fbx, dae, obj... could be possible to add this option ?

Export Selection > File Type Specific Options > Edit Preset... > Advanced Options > FBX File Format > Change Version -and another file format options-

ty !

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

.27 DX repeatably crashes here with any of the sample models provided loaded (PPP, default settings) as soon as

a PBR material starts its AO calculation. Smart Materials without AO seem to work.

Edited by polyxo

• Reputable Contributor

.27 DX repeatably crashes here with any of the sample models provided loaded (PPP, default settings) as soon as

a PBR material starts its AO calculation. Smart Materials without AO seem to work.

Beta Version 4.5.27 64 bit non-cuda GL--- Windows 7

I also still get random crashes when clicking on a smart material.

Two more problems:

Undo still at random times just stops working. This has been brought up by Taros and others. Related bug report though it happens on other brushes as well or when resampling, smoothing etc...

http://3dcoat.com/mantis/view.php?id=2068

Voxel Extrude brush using the Drag Stamp or the Regular Stamp tools from the e-panel causes the mesh to get corrupted. Click Extrude to place the stamp and then press undo, you will see the bug.

I have mentioned this bug before and I think it is related to this SOS thread. Read my comment to his post...

http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18807#entry130706

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

FBX SDK 2015 used, I don't think such option possible...

Andrew can you run some tests on extruding with sharp-edged brush alpha's. Someone was having problems and asked me about it. I had a lot of trouble getting clean edges. The result was very jagged. It seems that no matter how crisp your brush alpha is, 3D Coat pixelates the dickens out of it, and causes the jaggedness.

12557719_653091474794456_729506904_o.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

It seems to work ok when shapes are used, but brush alphas is so jagged and course, it's almost unusable...even when LiveClay and Remove Stretching is used. Seems that maybe 3D Coat is downsampling/downres'ing the brushes to make them do pixelated.

145304046116.jpg

12546015_653112361459034_549383186_o.jpg

• Like 1

Beta Version 4.5.27 64 bit non-cuda GL--- Windows 7

I also still get random crashes when clicking on a smart material.

I am too, but only sometimes. I'm not sure, but it seems to be possibly be linked to the little preview window.

4.5.28 [beta]

- Fixed Gloss export (was not modulated by curves, was inverted)

- Fixed Extude (and other voxel brushes) + stamp issue

- Fixed crash related to PBR preview

- load/save camera shortcut in [Camera] menu

Thank you Andrew.

Hey guys: The camera load/save ist something really great for all of you who are working with individual scenes and want to share the camera views between them! It is needed to have always the same view in the render room f.e. I have missed this feature a lot in the current project and Andrew implemented it.

GREAT! Thank you a lot!

• Like 2

Excuse me please if I am spamming, but:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!

The pen size (radius) have NOT to have ANY influence on the PBR Material depth amount!

This is really a "no go" and workflow destroyer. When I set a depth in a PBR material, then I want to use this depth and not a factor of a pen radius...

Andrew are you so kind and explain me, why the pen radius has influence to the used depth information?

Why this two complete independent options are linked together?

I thought a pen radius is an "area" that define the paint influence. And the depth is the information for the used normalmap or sculpting depth of the pen tool I use...

I don't understand this.

The depth should not be a % value of a pen factor. Proposal: Use understandable values like 1 or 2 or whatever like in the pen tool for the depth value. And not a number like 100 % for the depth and you will have a lot of friends... I am not able to explain my students why a depth value is influenced by several(!) other values that all are linked in some way together.

We have two radius values. Nobody really understand this. A radius for the pen tool and a radius in the fill tool... and the pen tool radius influence the fill tool additionally, but sometimes only... completely confusing.

I am posting this, because I already had a lot of situations, where the pen radius influence made me crazy and I lost time to find why a PBR material was not filled like expected or why my pen depth was not the set material depth. By the way: The same for the texture projection: Reset it, when the user has clicked on a PBR slot (only then).

Thank you. And sorry again, but this two points kills my workflow at the moment and I am a bit frustrated...

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

EDIt: some of my information is incorrect after deeper testing.Moderator please remove the above post as I hate posting incorrect or partial incorrect information. I discovered some of the problems with the fill tool not matching the depth of the regular brush at the same settings. Deeper testing still before posting information... Most of the information is correct but I rather post complete accurate information. The fill tool seems to be the fly in the ointment atm... 

Beta version 4.5.28 64 bit non cuda GL, Windows 7.

Narrowing down the problem with the fill tool but as always in testing, information can be updated or corrected.

beta version 4.5.28 64 bit non cuda GL, Windows 7.EDIT: What I discovered so far. It appears that percentage of 100% is not calculated correctly in the fill tool when using a Smart Material. Other areas not tested.

How to test:

Use a smart material. I selected metal forged. 

Use depth only. Additive painting deselected.

Keep brush radius the same in fill and for regular brush.

Set your fill depth at 100% for the fill tool. Fill some areas on the model. I used the default preview sphere that already has AO and the curvature map from the new menu.

Erase part of the depth back to zero depth.

Now set your depth at 100% for your regular brush. Brush radius, same size as the fill tool brush radius.

Paint in the erased area.

The 100% depth here is more than the 100% of the fill tool. Check your normal map to see, or select "show displace mesh."

This works the same in micovertex mode too with real polygon depth.

Ok, the other part of the test.

Set your fill tool to 200% keeping all the other settings the same.

Erase an area again.

Now keep your regular brush at 100% and paint the depth in that area. It nows matches the fill tool depth.

It is appears that the fill tool is one half depth of the regular brush depth at identical depth settings, at least when using a smart material.

Please test...

Thanks Carlosan for hiding my other post...

Edited by digman

Chris, David, what's funny is I've had it be hit or miss for me. I mean that, the size of the brush has influence over the depth of the SMats most of the time and other times not. That said, it's been pretty consistent lately, and I agree. It should have no bearing on the SMat at all. Be it applicable or just visual (in the preview window). Only the depth controller on the top bar and the SMats own depth settings should ever control this.

Excuse me please if I am spamming, but:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!

The pen size (radius) have NOT to have ANY influence on the PBR Material depth amount!

This is really a "no go" and workflow destroyer. When I set a depth in a PBR material, then I want to use this depth and not a factor of a pen radius...

Andrew are you so kind and explain me, why the pen radius has influence to the used depth information?

Why this two complete independent options are linked together?

I thought a pen radius is an "area" that define the paint influence. And the depth is the information for the used normalmap or sculpting depth of the pen tool I use...

I don't understand this.

The depth should not be a % value of a pen factor. Proposal: Use understandable values like 1 or 2 or whatever like in the pen tool for the depth value. And not a number like 100 % for the depth and you will have a lot of friends... I am not able to explain my students why a depth value is influenced by several(!) other values that all are linked in some way together.

We have two radius values. Nobody really understand this. A radius for the pen tool and a radius in the fill tool... and the pen tool radius influence the fill tool additionally, but sometimes only... completely confusing.

I am posting this, because I already had a lot of situations, where the pen radius influence made me crazy and I lost time to find why a PBR material was not filled like expected or why my pen depth was not the set material depth. By the way: The same for the texture projection: Reset it, when the user has clicked on a PBR slot (only then).

Thank you. And sorry again, but this two points kills my workflow at the moment and I am a bit frustrated...

There is LOCK icon on the top to keep absolute depth of carving independent on pen radius.

By default the depth is some % of pen radius, so changing pen radius leads to changing depth. LOCK solves this.