3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Advanced Member

I'm using 4.5.28 and I'm get an issue with some of the tools.  Where my tablet is not registering the beginning of my stroke, or if it is, it's registering as a low pressure stroke even if it's not.  It's affecting me with texture painting on a UV'd mesh and with surface sculpting when I use the Rapid2 brushes.

Anyone else having this problem?

I'm using the GL64 Cuda version, but I'm pretty sure I was having the same issue on the DX64 non cuda version.  I'm also running windows 10 with a Cintiq Companion Hybrid.

It's really hard for me to paint or sculpt with it like this.

• Contributor

I'm using 4.5.28 and I'm get an issue with some of the tools.  Where my tablet is not registering the beginning of my stroke, or if it is, it's registering as a low pressure stroke even if it's not.  It's affecting me with texture painting on a UV'd mesh and with surface sculpting when I use the Rapid2 brushes.

I'm using the GL64 Cuda version, but I'm pretty sure I was having the same issue on the DX64 non cuda version.  I'm also running windows 10 with a Cintiq Companion Hybrid.

It's really hard for me to paint or sculpt with it like this.

Is the behaviour similar to one described here: http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18337?

• Advanced Member

Is the behaviour similar to one described here: http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18337?

Yes, 

That is exactly what's happening...When I start 3D Coat it's as smooth as butter, but then after a couple of minutes my pressure just stops working properly and my quick strokes just don't register or they start later than I had hoped and end up brushing on the wrong part of my mesh.  Sometimes it seems like it's not working at all...and at other times it seems like a forced time based taper on on my brush from low pressure into my regular stroke.  It kills the feeling of responsiveness.  Did the driver update eliminate your problems?

Edited by gbball

Version 4.5.28 beta...

Is it possible to update the Texture Baking Tool to the new PBR standards with the export settings... 

Using the texture baking tool is still a valid way for importing a highpoly mesh with a UV set and textures into PPP or MV and baking to an external low polygon mesh with a uv set.

Attached image shows what the Texture Baking Tool has atm.

Yes, I agree. This is needed.

• Advanced Member

I have noticed this the last couple of days also. At some point, the brushes stop working (click-dragging on the model does not apply any paint), I had this problem painting a UVd mesh in paint room. Restarting 3D Coat solved it, but should be fixed of course. If Andrew somehow manages to reproduce it...

Wacom drivers (Intuos 4) are up to date.

Edited by wilson66

• Reputable Contributor

Latest BETA has an option missing for editing texture in external editor. One that takes screenshot of the current viewport and passes it through to the Photoshop. 

It is still there but the hotkeys have been reassigned. You have to make your own hotkey for it. Look at the attached image. 

I created my own short cut using Ctrl---Shift---P key combination.

beta version 4.5.28

post-518-0-49087700-1454068496_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

It is still there but the hotkeys have been reassigned. You have to make your own hotkey for it. Look at the attached image. 

I created my own short cut using Ctrl---Shift---P key combination.

beta version 4.5.28

Odd... At a time when I tried it, that option was entirely gone for me. I didn't just try to press shortcut, I did open the Edit menu to see it. Weird. Perhaps a bug that might pop up again for some other people. 

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

a bug 

with argile

extrud10.jpg

Might be good to send that to Andrew. Upload the file through the HELP menu (send file to support), and once it is uploaded, it's a good idea to shoot him an e-mail (support@3dcoat.com), explaining the problem (especially the steps needed to reproduce) attaching the image and in the process, let him know you just uploaded the file.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

A user bought up about updating the Paint Engine... Maybe by version 5 as I know it will take development time. 

We sure could use some real brush types and blenders... Sure I can project paint in an external paint program but you have to keep reprojecting as the model is turned in 3DC.

Attached images gives an idea of what I mean...

EDIT: On the subject of feature request, This is for Smart Materials

Add the depth options we have now under the "Add Depth" section of the layers panel to the Smart Material editor, shown in last image.

Add more type of Noise patterns... I think we just have Perlin noise at the moment in the Smart Material editor.

The ability to rotate.

Add a seed function so we can have variations of the noise.

post-518-0-20693200-1454283791_thumb.png

post-518-0-42492800-1454283800_thumb.png

post-518-0-81803600-1454284878_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Most important is to get real smart material combo / layers  that we can apply to other 3d models , similar to SP.

I have discussed this with Andrew , he will understand.

Example

Layer 1 metal , layer 2 metal 2 with screen , layer 3 dust with add , all those 3 layers to be combined and ready to be applied with ID on a new 3d model.

• Like 2

Most important is to get real smart material combo / layers  that we can apply to other 3d models , similar to SP.

I have discussed this with Andrew , he will understand.

Example

Layer 1 metal , layer 2 metal 2 with screen , layer 3 dust with add , all those 3 layers to be combined and ready to be applied with ID on a new 3d model.

Smart material linking is something fundamental.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

I have noticed that applying color using a brush often stops working when painting of depth is de-activated. Neither color nor specularity are applied at all. It works when using a lasso, but not using a brush.

When activating depth painting additionally, all channels (including color) are applied correctly. 

Restarting 3DCoat is the only way to paint color only again.

• Reputable Contributor

This topic has been brought up before, but since I started to dig into making smart materials I will address the issue also.

The projection of the textures when applying your smart material is quite a bit blurrier than what is shown in the viewport preview window...

The preview window shows sharper and nicer looking textures but when applied to the model they are blurred to a high degree.

Texture linear filter is on, and that of course will blur the texture but should only blur slightly. 

The first attached image is orignally a jpg (5000x3000) canvas cropped to a 2K image in Photoshop. It is not resampled. Of course there still will be some jpg artifacts. The second image is from the default rust smart material.

Cube mapping was used.

I tried various solutions but all to no avail...

Rendering in the render room does not remove the blurring. I know that the preview window is rendering in real time but so is the render room.

I know that the texture anti -aliasing was improved though I think the blurring comes from something else in the formula, only a guess here...

If possible can the projection of textures be improved as it would be very helpful. From a distance the textures look fine but for closer in camera shots in rendering or a game engine the blurring effects the quality of the final outcome... Thanks for adding the PBR workflow so having the textures projected better will only improve the PBR workflow....

Even if this means, it taking a little longer for the material to be applied, I would not mind personally so there could better projected textures.

EDIT: I ran another test which I forgot to do, I increased the amount of texture space on one of the uv islands and this does help but there still is a difference from what you see is what you get in the final applied projection. The projection in the preview viewport is now really sharp and the paint room's viewport is blurred but less noticeable because of the increase texture space given to the uv island. Again rendering in the render room with anti-aliasing on does not remove the blurring

post-518-0-11262000-1454545683_thumb.png

post-518-0-39246400-1454546237_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

Are you shure your object texture is high enough resoluted?

The preview window is an own renderer and just a "preview".

For me it looks like a special GPU renderer, but could be CPU too. Andrew not mentioned yet much about the preview window renderer... This could be a good sign. For me it looks like a future preview to a new render feature for the render room. But this is only my personal assumption... ;)

EDIT: I am right. Attached a test screen with a default material. My object texture res is 256x256 px.

post-955-0-46579200-1454574861_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Are you shure your object texture is high enough resoluted?

The preview window is an own renderer and just a "preview".

EDIT: I am right. Attached a test screen with a default material. My object texture res is 256x256 px.

There definitely is a difference in quality when applying the material in comparison to the preview render window, I have noticed this also. Sure, the preview render window is just a preview, but even if you apply a texture to a perfectly layed out UV set and 4K texture, it will still be noticably blurrier than what is seen in the preview window.

That should not be the case, and I did not notice this behavior previous to the new beta.

Might be due to the new antialiasing that was implemented, blurs the entire texture a bit? Don't know.

Edited by wilson66
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

@Taros

Quote from my post... "The first attached image is orignally a jpg (5000x3000) canvas cropped to a 2K image in Photoshop"

The second image is also a 2K default image that comes with 3DC... 

Plus I later gave one of the uv islands a larger amount of uv island space at least 2/3rds the size of the 2k texture space. It was better but still the projection was somewhat blurry.

Uv texture resolution 2K... 

I been around the 3D world long enough and been using 3DC for 8 years to know all about that stuff.

I do not expect 2k textures to be the best in the world but some improvement in the projection is needed I believe.

Input from the long time users of 3DC which you are one, when we see something that could be improved I know the development team desires to hear from us.They will tell us if it is possible or not...

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

@Taros

Quote from my post... "The first attached image is orignally a jpg (5000x3000) canvas cropped to a 2K image in Photoshop"

The second image is also a 2K default image that comes with 3DC... 

Plus I later gave one of the uv islands a larger amount of uv island space at least 2/3rds the size of the 2k texture space. It was better but still the projection was somewhat blurry.

Uv texture resolution 2K... 

I been around the 3D world long enough and been using 3DC for 8 years to know all about that stuff.

I do not expect 2k textures to be the best in the world but some improvement in the projection is needed I believe.

Input from the long time users of 3DC which you are one, when we see something that could be improved I know the development team desires to hear from us.They will tell us if it is possible or not...

Reading text in detail enlightens... Sorry digman.

You are right. This should be solved or improved.

• Contributor

I'm having trouble rearranging tool presets. The cursor changes into crossed move arrows, but the presets cannot be dragged.

---

I just experienced a crash when I opened Brush Options window (pop-up) with Clay voxel tool selected (actually - an old preset). Note the strange Spacing value. It wasn't selected though and the only thing that was is the Sharp Shape (Old Style).

post-12523-0-33122100-1454678761_thumb.j

post-12523-0-43604000-1454679086_thumb.p

---

Soft Scrape flag of the Scrape voxel tool is not remembered by presets.

Edited by ajz3d

• Advanced Member

I get this now and again. I think I nailed the problem.....or maybe I have not ....after a while I came to the conclusion it only happens when the object is intersecting the "floor" , that is , point zero on the grid. Maybe take a look and see. Is your object in that vicinity? Other than that ....no idea..... :wacko:

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I tried switching from 4.5.19 to 4.5.28 Windows 7 64bit CUDA to avoid this issue whereby I'm getting these weird unselectable areas with the pose tool, but it's still occurring. Any ideas why or how to fix?

attachicon.gifunselect.PNG

It is a bug.... I have seen it for a while... Try saving the scene, close 3DC then reopen... 

Edited by digman
  • Like 2