3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Advanced Member

Manual retopology is still not really usable for me. Vertices keep snapping to objects that are hidden, in space somewhere far away from the only visible object they are supposed to snap to. View also rotates around those points (rotate around last draw point) which makes navigating difficult sometimes.

Makes no sense at all, retopology of certain overlapping objects is absolutely impossible this way.

I need to do this in Modo instead. Would be really nice if the retopology tools could actually ignore all objects that are hidden from view.

Edited by wilson66

• Reputable Contributor

Again I will request a update to the Texture Baking tool to PBR Standards... Users are still using it to bake textures to other models.. 

Link to a thread, though he does not mention PBR but I would have imagined he used the PBR workflow...

http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18918#entry131545

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Smoothing a layer in paint room (textures -> adjust -> smooth current layer) produces strange lines artifacts:

artifacts.jpg

Lines do not follow any UV seams. Same thing happens when exporting all layers to external editor (Photoshop), smoothing the layer there, and saving. When the layer is reloaded in 3DCoat, the lines artifacts appear.

When I smooth the layer manually, save, close the file, and re-open it, the lines also appear. Very, very bad.

Edited by wilson66

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

....that and perhaps consolidation the mesh structures in 3D Coat. No more Retopo Meshes and Paint Room meshes. Just one unified mesh. If it has a UV map, it can be painted in the Paint workspace. What used to be/is a Retopo mesh would be the same mesh that is painted on in the Paint Workspace. If you need to subdivide the model or make some modeling edits, no need to export and import, then export and import again, just to resume painting.

• Like 5

• Advanced Member

....that and perhaps consolidation the mesh structures in 3D Coat. No more Retopo Meshes and Paint Room meshes. Just one unified mesh. If it has a UV map, it can be painted in the Paint workspace. What used to be/is a Retopo mesh would be the same mesh that is painted on in the Paint Workspace. If you need to subdivide the model or make some modeling edits, no need to export and import, then export and import again, just to resume painting.

Man that would be awesome. And a way to preserve UV's while you make those edits too please.

• Contributor

I selected polygons from the upper part of one retopo group and cloned them to a new group. Then I hid the original group and began working with the clone. After some time, I revealed the original group and I encountered it at the following state:

post-12523-0-69007900-1456606270_thumb.j

Most of the polygons I cloned have disappeared.

---

I lost another retopo group. I have a reason to believe that it is caused by symmetry.

post-12523-0-01591600-1456607811_thumb.j

This time I was prepared for this and kept a backup in a form of an exported .obj file.

Edited by ajz3d

• Reputable Contributor

@ajz3d. Yep I think you have found a bug... The same thing happens if you have a few retopo object layers and you delete them, The remaining retopo object layer has missing polygons.. I found out about this just the other day when I was testing the autopo and had some retopo object layers that were part of the test but I no longer needed them. The only way to avoid getting the missing polygons was to create another uv set and move all the other retopo object layers to that uv set... 

This is a critical bug and needs fixing asap...

• Like 1

• Contributor

@ajz3d. Yep I think you have found a bug... The same thing happens if you have a few retopo object layers and you delete them, The remaining retopo object layer has missing polygons.. I found out about this just the other day when I was testing the autopo and had some retopo object layers that were part of the test but I no longer needed them. The only way to avoid getting the missing polygons was to create another uv set and move all the other retopo object layers to that uv set... 

This is a critical bug and needs fixing asap...

Thanks for confirming it, Digman. Damn, this is one nasty bug, and I'm still unsure how to reproduce it. What I'm fairly sure of though is that I did not remove any retopo groups before the bug hit me for the first time, though I might be mistaken because I didn't really pay too much attention.

My workflow (for the current challenge) is to retopo a base object (a sculpt), occasionally use built-in simple subdivision to generate a denser mesh, clone this and that to a new retopo group, hide the original group, work with the clone and frequently test its subdivision in the sculpt room by importing a mesh from retopo room via Pick From Retopo button.

---

Dig, I just noticed that your current reputation is equal to 666. :diablo: Repent your sins, brother! :D

Edited by ajz3d

• Reputable Contributor

Dig, I just noticed that your current reputation is equal to 666. diablo.gif Repent your sins, brother! biggrin.png

Yes, all my answers to the questions at the forum have subliminal messages in them, just like the Beatles 1969 album "Abby Road"   ;)

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Marc, I heard rumours that the tweak room is scheduled for future removal.

Noooooooo! :-(

Are there any plans for an alternative? It is a really useful room for low making tweaks to low poly objects for baking purposes.

Sometimes, you don't want everything to conform to what is in the sculpt room. Your awesome script did help with part of this but this is like the final piece of the puzzle.

Does anyone else use the tweak room?

• Reputable Contributor

Noooooooo! :-(

Are there any plans for an alternative? It is a really useful room for low making tweaks to low poly objects for baking purposes.

Sometimes, you don't want everything to conform to what is in the sculpt room. Your awesome script did help with part of this but this is like the final piece of the puzzle.

Does anyone else use the tweak room?

Actually, most of the functionality already exists in the Retopo workspace...except for some of the sculpt tools. The Brush tool (with Auto Snap turned off) in the Retopo Room works just the MOVE brush. What I suggested to Andrew in a conference call, is to consolidate the mesh structures of the Paint and Retopo workspaces, so regardless of which of those workspaces you use, it's all the same mesh. That would allow Andrew to remove the UV tools from the Retopo room....that way the UV room is the place to do all UV's, period.

I asked him to add Soft Selection (which is in the Tweak Room) and to add the Surface mode brushes. That would remove 2 tabs/workspaces and the app works more like what a new user would expect. I hope he is currently working on consolidation, but don't know

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Actually, most of the functionality already exists in the Retopo workspace...except for some of the sculpt tools. The Brush tool (with Auto Snap turned off) in the Retopo Room works just the MOVE brush. What I suggested to Andrew in a conference call, is to consolidate the mesh structures of the Paint and Retopo workspaces, so regardless of which of those workspaces you use, it's all the same mesh. That would allow Andrew to remove the UV tools from the Retopo room....that way the UV room is the place to do all UV's, period.

I asked him to add Soft Selection (which is in the Tweak Room) and to add the Surface mode brushes. That would remove 2 tabs/workspaces and the app works more like what a new user would expect. I hope he is currently working on consolidation, but don't know

That sounds pretty good actually and it makes a lot of sense. 3d Coat can be a complex beast but it is still faster than zbrush for baking from 3d scan data and adding normal maps to individual portions of a low poly mesh.

4.5.29 [beta]

- Shading using PBR was essentially changed. Now GGX lighting natively supported. What does it actually means -

1) Almost all voxel sculpting shaders are PBR compatible now. Each shader has rich set of parameters, including different textures, sss, gloss, metalness, cavity and bulge settings. Very good support of cavity and bulge is present in realime.

2) All PBR shaders effects (except pseudo SSS effect) are exactly baked into paint room.

3) PicMat-s are also present but it is not guaraneed that they will be baked correctly, so use them only on intermediate stage.

4) GGX exact support means compatibility with most of current engines and renders.

5) Painting over mesh is "as is" without modulation on background shader color. But painting over layer 0 is disabled for voxels/surface.

- Factures included in this build (DX only). It is essentially beta stuff, so it is just for review. Factures are addional covering over the voxel/surface objects. We take tiled texture and mix it with random pieces seamlessly. It allows to cover meshes with tiled textures without tiling. Also it allows to texture objects without UV-s at all. It is very important for landscapes. It was developed long time ago, but now we decided to expose it as beta tool. To use factures go to Paint room, open Windows->Popups->Factures and select facture. Now paint over object. Textue will be modulated by selecteed color.

SEVERAL DRAWBACKS:

- Old shaders are disabled because shaders system was completely re-made.

- Old panoramas are disabled, you will need to add them as HDR or EXR files from scratch.

• Like 3

• Contributor

New shaders look awesome! Nice work Andrew.

I have only one problem - I cannot find the contrast icon that is supposed to be located somewhere in the top right area of the screen.

post-12523-0-42352700-1456846340_thumb.p

This is a screenshot from 3D-Coat using factory settings. As you can see there is no such button in this location.

post-12523-0-53818700-1456846346_thumb.p

---

Cool! We can toggle between coloured and greyscale panorama versions. This will come in handy.

Edited by ajz3d