3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Contributor

Anyone noticed that the symmetry in the retopo room, even right after using the Apply Symmetry to Current Layer operation, is almost never 100%? Usually it oscillates around 96-99% even if the reference mesh is 100% symmetrical.

I'm sure that several versions ago I did not have this problem.

Can somebody confirm this?

• Contributor

Is there a way to clip mask with a group of layers?

As far as I know, neither masking with multiple paint layers, nor a group of paint layers that are inside a specific folder, is possible at the moment.

I must say that the latter would be very helpful. It is already possible to select existing folder as a mask layer, but unfortunately it makes all paint areas of masked layer disappear completely.

BTW, I think I found a bug. When you have a folder that contains paint layers, then if you open clip layer mask dropdown list of a layer that is on the root level, among other positions you will find a layer called "<end>". Not sure what it is, but using it as a mask removes all painted pixels from the layer.

http://3dcoat.com/mantis/view.php?id=2098

-----

Product Version list on Mantis never includes the newest 3D-Coat BETA version(s).

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

Retopo Room -> Mirror Snapping.

I always wondered - what those percentages mean exactly? They're percentages of a 3D-Coat unit, or perhaps of something else?

Maybe removing the % and using pure scene units (in respect to scene's scale settings from the Define Measurement Units and Edit Scene Scale) would be better? What do you think guys?

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

I find Free Extrude to be an unreliable tool. One time it works all right, next time it deselects your selection and throws you into Transform tool. And if it happens, then no extrusion can be performed on selection until the scene is reloaded. Happens to me almost every time I work with this tool. It MIGHT be related to Undo.

-----

(Sculpt Room) Importing objects via Import tool (with thickness) directly into surface layer ("Add" boolean op) can result in removal of this layer. Only imported objects will remain. Undo cannot restore the deleted layer. Scene reload is required. I can reproduce it every time with my scene.

Happens to voxel layers too.

-----

Click to Place in the primitives menu shrinks primitives to tiny dimensions.

Edited by ajz3d

• Reputable Contributor

4.5.32 [beta]

- Correct preview of cube primitive with symmetry

- Fixed problem of welding retopo verties with symmetry

- Drag&Dropped 3dcpack files will be installed automatically.

- Fixed mesh corruption after series of Reample+Undo+Sculpt

Thanks Andrew and Raul. :good:

• Contributor

One question please.

I am going to get pretty busy for the next 4 to 6  weeks and will have a lot of sculpting and retopo to do.

When are we going to be able to use the new retopo tools? (quad paint etc etc)

Thank you.

• Reputable Contributor

One question please.

I am going to get pretty busy for the next 4 to 6  weeks and will have a lot of sculpting and retopo to do.

When are we going to be able to use the new retopo tools? (quad paint etc etc)

Thank you.

I wouldn't expect anytime soon. They are in the very early stages of development, as best I can tell, and seem to require quite a bit of research and problem-solving.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

...and to be honest, It might be a better idea to keep Raul focused in the Sculpt room, while contracting the developer who created Quad Strips and improved Strokes tool in their Blender plugin. Just port it to 3D Coat, rather than having to build our own from scratch.

Maybe let Raul try to add an extensive list of Procedural Noises to the Noise tool (Bercon Maps are free and Open Source...so use those among others) and develop a system for "Sculpt Layers" (per object). That was requested years ago, and at this pace, it will be another 3+ yrs before anyone ever gets around to it.

• Like 1

Can someone confirm the following please? v.4.5.31

I am not able to bake vertex painted data to a pixel paint layer. Only the shader itself will be baked, not the vertex colors.

Or is there a new way I don't know how to bake vertex data to a pixel paint layer?

Thank you

Is there a way to clip mask with a group of layers?

Basically you can not set a mask to a layer group.

HINT: But you can set all related layers to be masked by the same seperate mask layer in the layer blending window.

• Contributor

attachicon.gifnogo.jpg

I went from Beta 20 to Beta 31 and 32, when I run them all I get is this. What do I do now? B20 still works if I go back to it. ( well ,it did last week ,I have not gone back yet on this attempt.) Grateful for any advice.

I'm guessing the latest betas don't work on Windows Vista. Maybe using newer DirectX. I have the same problem as you on my Vista machine.

• Contributor

Thanks, so no point in trying to upgrade then. If thats not going to help anyway.

I was only guessing about the DirectX. I just tested it, and you are right, the OpenGL version of the latest 3D-Coat betas don't work on Vista either. So it isn't the DirectX. Maybe something else is different about Windows Vista that won't run the betas.

Anyways I only have the one Vista machine left (all the others are Windows 7+) so I guess it is time to finally upgrade the Vista one!

Im stuck with vista for the time being......my computer will celebrate its 8th birthday in August...dont wanna put any more cash into this one!

The problems probably  something simple that some genious out there will figure out....are we the only vista users left in the world.

I give you an advise: Move to win10. Really... win vista suc...

:)

And if you don't like win10 you can always go back to win vista if you do an regular upgrade and don't make a clean install with win10.

Win vista = "Asta la vista..."

;)

• Advanced Member

Hey Blaster I was/am looking to upgrade also and its going to be either gtx 960 4gigs V ram  or a gtx 980  the  gtx 970 had not so good as in my notes when looking around forget why I think bottleneck pipe line at least in substance painter  forum if I remember . I don't know in 3dc. Always check to power input too. as of now I have a onboard  Nividia GTX745  .

How is the gtx 970 for 3d coat. Was thinking of picking that up.

The more cuda cores the better... If you can afford it do it!

4 Gbytes are important if you are going to render on the GPU. In blender for example. I can not render some scenes already on gpu because of 2 GB graphics card ram limitation...