3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Contributor

The next generation of Nvidia gpus is going to be shown this coming month, I'd wait before picking up a new one atp.

Gtx 980 here overclocked edition , no difference at all from gtx 470.

But i noticed massive performance boost since Andrew updated to the new shaders build (cant remember the name).

Also tested on gtx 970 and 980 ti of my Boss.

No speed difference.

• Contributor

I can not use the 8 key for switching to the metalness channel. Does anybody have the same problem?

Even if I set the key shortcut anew it does not work.

v4.5.32

+1000000 not working.

Good call.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Why is the OSX beta so much slower to download? 

On the same computer, my windows 3DC beta downloads in 15-20min, on OSX it is taking between 4-8hrs.

I'm thinking they are hosted on a different server, but why the bandwidth difference?

• Advanced Member

attachicon.gifnogo.jpg

I went from Beta 20 to Beta 31 and 32, when I run them all I get is this. What do I do now?  B20 still works if I go back to it. ( well ,it did last week ,I have not gone back yet on this attempt.) Grateful for any advice.

So , are the latest Betas no go on Vista then? I could do with a definitive answer to this one please.

• Contributor

So , are the latest Betas no go on Vista then? I could do with a definitive answer to this one please.

Looks like it.

Same problem on my laptop (Vista 32-bit).

It's either CloseGestureInfoHandle (for DX versions) or SetGestureConfig (for GL versions). Both in USER32.dll.

What is going on?

Edited by ajz3d

4.5.33 [beta]

- Shaders updated, correct rendering in render room, good sss for sculpt objects. See screenshots:

1.jpg  2.jpg  3.jpg  4.jpg  5.jpg

- Extrude faces, extrude vertices, Intrude, Shell implemented for retopo/select/faces mode.

LowPolyOps.png

- RMB->Share item/folder works correctly for PBR materials
- If "Material preview" window is collapsed it will not pop-up again when you are switching rooms.

• Like 6

• Advanced Member

i would love to see some development towards artificial intelligence. For example it would be a blast if you could implement something like automatic 3d face extraction from small res videos. Newest paper on that is amazing and can be seen here in action: 

• Advanced Member

Wow,

That is some really nice looking SSS...I've got to try this out and do some tests!

Keep up the great work Andrew and the rest of the team!

-G

• Contributor

A hidden retopo group, that lies on the same UV-set as the retopo group I'm currently working on, regularly gets its UVs all screwed up. What I mean by that, is that the UVs of this hidden group get somehow reapplied per-face, and I end up with 2096 separate UV islands. Last time it happened was right after I unwrapped the UV-set.

Oh, and I'm experiencing this in 4.5.32 and 4.5.33.

4.5.33 [beta]

- Shaders updated, correct rendering in render room, good sss for sculpt objects. See screenshots:

- Extrude faces, extrude vertices, Intrude, Shell implemented for retopo/select/faces mode.

- If "Material preview" window is collapsed it will not pop-up again when you are switching rooms.

Thanks you Andrew,  for the update .

I would as a reminder to redirect you on this old feature request i made long time ago :

http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17329

the reason that make me purchase for a Zbrush license and never come back to 3dcoat.

just had a try with  the latest  4.5 33 but exact sample problem, i just try to setup the lattice and i did something wrong i can't to undo and the masking can be reverted...

Another thing i hate with 3Dcoat is the confusion with symmetry tool, it create new polygons that are hidden into the model you must to clean up disabling the sym and then delete one complete model side, and if, all the vertices are no longer exactly at 0.000 on the symmetry axis.

you try to select them and move them all to snap the 0, using numeric dialog from the transform option panel, but it don't move each point to 0 on the sym axis, the other that were good before will being wrong after that.

This issue with symmetry happens since the first build i try when i purchase for a license of 3dcoat, i ever had some issue with every model i made with 3dcoat. you should really polish Andrew.

every time i notice there is new beta version, that looks great, few hour later someone report for a new major bug , basically when you read the detail of the bug, it make me think that the version is not a version that can be use, ust to prevent from some various bug that could happen at anytime, so finally i download the new version and i never install it because someone report a bug.

It all about the frequency of the release of a new beta versions, that has good point to get new version every weeks. but 

you should consider that you make a private beta, that you share with some guy from this forum, and when all reported bug get fixed, you can release a public beta version that make more sense.

Many in the software editor delivers beta version that people use in production. when pixologic release a version there is no bug at all, or so less that we can survive for many month without any patch fix.

so as customer and as the beta version is a service offered to the customer i would like to have the possibility to work with more recent build but that has a better stability.

What do you think ? sharing this with you is only some kind of help to make more people happy with 3dcoat..

Best regards,

Nicolas

sorry for being rough like that, but i d to let you know about

This a core tools, for any modeling app, and if that doesn't work well, you can have the best feature ever, 3dcoat is just painful to work with, i hope it change, but i will not upgrade to V5.

A hidden retopo group, that lies on the same UV-set as the retopo group I'm currently working on, regularly gets its UVs all screwed up. What I mean by that, is that the UVs of this hidden group get somehow reapplied per-face, and I end up with 2096 separate UV islands. Last time it happened was right after I unwrapped the UV-set.

Oh, and I'm experiencing this in 4.5.32 and 4.5.33.

Is there way to reproduce? Or send me scene.

• Advanced Member

4.5.33 [beta]

LowPolyOps.png

Amazing. Thanks. Is there a way to implement SSS on panting workflow?

• Reputable Contributor

I've yet to understand how SSS works (EDIT: ok found it, I expected it to work with another shader with the SSS setting) but the cavity/bulge RealTime when sculpting is a stroke of genius. Thanks !

By the way Beat...some of the issues with exploding meshes, you mentioned in the past, may have been addressed 3 builds ago. I had similar issues but it seemed related to using UNDO. I was able to reproduce the problem twice in about 20 minutes, had it recorded and sent to Raul. He supposedly fixed it. You may want to experiment with it a bit and see if it resolves your problems or not.

• Like 1

Bug: No free transform possible after face normal extrude.

Try to transfor new extruded face. It is possible in normal direction only!

Please fix this. Or do I something wrong?

Additionally: Vertex normal extrude seem to be the same like face normal extrude.

• Like 1

• Contributor

By the way Beat...some of the issues with exploding meshes, you mentioned in the past, may have been addressed 3 builds ago. I had similar issues but it seemed related to using UNDO. I was able to reproduce the problem twice in about 20 minutes, had it recorded and sent to Raul. He supposedly fixed it. You may want to experiment with it a bit and see if it resolves your problems or not.

I may confirm this soon. Started doodling to test the new cavity/bump/SSS changes on shaders.

This is really nice to work with (especially with SSS I've been waiting for ages)

.SSSsculpt.jpg

• Like 8

• Contributor

Is there way to reproduce? Or send me scene.

I succeeded in reproducing the bug every time with my scene. The issue appears to be caused by Apply Symmetry to Current Layer. Before I use this operation on a currently selected retopo group, all UVs from a current UV set unwrap correctly. However if I apply the symmetry, it affects other retopo groups from a given UV set by "fragmenting" their UVs. Seams created this way cannot be removed neither by Mark Seams nor Clear Seams tools, so the corruption is permanent, and the only remedy is to reload either the full scene or overwrite affected retopo groups with their backups.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1wozo7ctkfrhtt/uv_fragmentation_bug.mp4?dl=1

• Contributor

Andrew, sculpt shaders cannot be applied to VoxTree layers from older .3b files. Those layers need to be converted to voxels or reimported into the tree first. Could you please do something about it?

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

I succeeded in reproducing the bug every time with my scene. The issue appears to be caused by Apply Symmetry to Current Layer. Before I use this operation on a currently selected retopo group, all UVs from a current UV set unwrap correctly. However if I apply the symmetry, it affects other retopo groups from a given UV set by "fragmenting" their UVs. Seams created this way cannot be removed neither by Mark Seams nor Clear Seams tools, so the corruption is permanent, and the only remedy is to reload either the full scene or overwrite affected retopo groups with their backups.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1wozo7ctkfrhtt/uv_fragmentation_bug.mp4?dl=1

Update: This is NOT limited to a single UV set. What I did just a moment ago was that I moved my current retopo group to a separate UV set, applied symmetry to it, and what I found out is that the retopo group, that was previously on the same UV set, got corrupted.

Andrew, I'll send you the scene. I'll just have to shrink it down a bit because it's over 1GB.

• Contributor

Andrew, I sent you an e-mail regarding that UV (and geo) issue.

---

@Beat, top notch "doodles". Jolly good show! :D

---

REGRESSION: Andrew, the red circle manipulator that is used for determining a sphere primitive's diameter... It does not work in 4.5.33.

To reproduce, enter Primitives tool and select a sphere. Grab the red circle and resize it.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

Looks good, BeatKitano! What shader are you using there, and what did you find out about how to use SSS? All I could figure out is that you have to have "use normalmap texture" checked to get the SSS setting to show up.

I may confirm this soon. Started doodling to test the new cavity/bump/SSS changes on shaders.

This is really nice to work with (especially with SSS I've been waiting for ages)

.SSSsculpt.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Looks good, BeatKitano! What shader are you using there, and what did you find out about how to use SSS? All I could figure out is that you have to have "use normalmap texture" checked to get the SSS setting to show up.

Use the SKIN shader. It's different than the others, and isn't reliant on normal map information, You won't see the SSS effect in the Sculpt Room workspace...only in the Render room, when you click on RENDER or the Realtime Render button.

• Like 1

• Contributor

You won't see the SSS effect in the Sculpt Room workspace...only in the Render room, when you click on RENDER or the Realtime Render button.

You can enable Cast Shadows in the sculpt room for a rough SSS approximation.

Edited by ajz3d