3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Contributor

Andrew, I'm having a very hard time working with radial symmetry in the retopo room. I have symmetry set to radial on Z-axis and order of 6 and it constantly falls out of synchronization when I create new geometry. What's more, when I hit the Apply Symmetry to Current Layer, it removes a lot of faces from my retopo group and stacks polygons on top of each other, creating a very dirty topology!

It's impossible to work with radial symmetry ATM.

---

I sent you an e-mail regarding this issue.

Edited by ajz3d

Use the SKIN shader. It's different than the others, and isn't reliant on normal map information, You won't see the SSS effect in the Sculpt Room workspace...only in the Render room, when you click on RENDER or the Realtime Render button.

Thanks! The only skin shader I seem to have is a PBR shader in the paint room, though. I had made a sculpt shader called "Skin" earlier - could that have messed things up?

• Contributor

Thanks! The only skin shader I seem to have is a PBR shader in the paint room, though. I had made a sculpt shader called "Skin" earlier - could that have messed things up?

Are you sure that you have 3D-Coat version 4.5.33 installed?

It has two main sculpt shaders. The new PBR one, which supports SSS among other stuff, and a legacy PicMat one (now called a MatCap).

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

Are you sure that you have 3D-Coat version 4.5.33 installed?

It has two main sculpt shaders. The new PBR one, which supports SSS among other stuff, and a legacy PicMat one (now called a MatCap).

I renamed my old 4.5 user folder and reinstalled, and I see a skin shader now - thanks.

Edited by PixelDust
  • Like 1

• Contributor

It says I have 4.5.33 installed. I did do a system restore earlier today, so I may have to reinstall 3D-Coat.

Okay, so In sculpt room shaders you should have one called "skin". It has SSS enabled by default and is preconfigured to act as a human skin shader.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 2

So , are the latest Betas no go on Vista then?

The compatibility with Windows Vista was temporarily broken in 3D-Coat builds from "4.5.26" to "4.5.33" (tested on 32-bit builds). But the next 3D-Coat build (after "4.5.33") will be compatible with Windows Vista again.
  • Like 3

New face/vertex extrude: We need a value input field for the extrusion distance like in vox layer.

(Important for exact extrusion distance when working with technical parts)

Thank you

Chris

We don't need one... I have not noticed for years to press spacebar while clicking a gizmo axis arrow...

Additionally: Vertex normal extrude seem to be the same like face normal extrude.

Additionally: Vertex normal extrude seem to be the same like face normal extrude.

It is not the same. Works like expected.

• Advanced Member

I couldn't rotate the environment lighting after dragging a Beta30 saved 3b file into the scene. 'Lock Environment' was set to off. Changing the environment made no difference except in the render room. Worth noting. A new save, quit, restart and reload sorted it out, after I'd also loaded a new scene using one of the mannequins. Shadows could also not be switched off [found the shadows switch under Geometry (eh? Why Geometry?)].

v4.5 33

Win7 64

Edited by Tarby

• Advanced Member

Hovering the cursor over a smart material fails to bring up the material's larger icon and name. Inconvenient, especially with effects materials that look mostly dark in the little preview and you can't tell if it's streaks, splotches, scratches, etc, without editing the material (the name usually indicating what the layer does) or applying it to your model.

v4.5 33

Win7 64

[Edit: I changed the name of my old documents folder, did a fresh install and then merged my old backed up documents folder into the newly installed one, and the above now works]

Edited by Tarby

I couldn't rotate the environment lighting after dragging a Beta30 saved 3b file into the scene. 'Lock Environment' was set to off. Changing the environment made no difference except in the render room. Worth noting. A new save, quit, restart and reload sorted it out, after I'd also loaded a new scene using one of the mannequins. Shadows could also not be switched off [found the shadows switch under Geometry (eh? Why Geometry?)].

v4.5 33

Win7 64

Hovering the cursor over a smart material fails to bring up the material's larger icon and name. Inconvenient, especially with effects materials that look mostly dark in the little preview and you can't tell if it's streaks, splotches, scratches, etc, without editing the material (the name usually indicating what the layer does) or applying it to your model.

v4.5 33

Win7 64

[Edit: I changed the name of my old documents folder, did a fresh install and then merged my old backed up documents folder into the newly installed one, and the above now works]

Does the environment light rotation works too? It does not work here on win10 with version 4.5.33.

Works here Chris win 7 x64

You can rotate the light in 360° in the sculpt room?

I can rotate the hdr environment only around the y-axis.

I mean without active shadows!

With active shadows it works here too. But this is not what I want.

• Like 1

You are correct , rotate works only on Y (wasn't it always like that???).

Nope... You was always able to rotate the light if the hdr environment was locked.

In this case the light was linked to the camera position even if you rotated the scene. This is essentially important for sculpting. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure if there’s a bug, "Edit scene scale" seems to be ineffective,First import models from 3dsmax  the program will remember the scene scaling,It works well.

When you sculpt, move, pose,set object axis or close the program, restart the program and reimport objects,the scaling lost,you need to manually rescaling.

And you repeat the steps the next time scaling is still missing.

I remember program will always remember the scale in some old versions,If not, please ignore me, thank you!

• Advanced Member

I can rotate the hdr environment only around the y-axis.

I'm really not sure why it is like that. Makes it difficult sometimes to sculpt/ paint the underside of a model because it is too dark.

Environment should be rotatable around all axis.

• Like 3

• Contributor

Anyone else found going from the Sculpt Room to the Render Room, then back to the Sculpt Room, use the Cut Off tool, you get a 2D Paint action instead? Catches me every time.

Win7 64

Works fine on my side:

1. I started a new scene with a voxel sphere.

2. Went to render room and back to sculpt room.

3. Selected Cut Off tool and it cut off a part of the sphere.

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

Bug report:

The curve points in the Curve Tool do not snap to the grid when "snap to 2D grid" or "snap to 3D grid" are on.

Snapping will only work if there is a voxel object in the background.

Also please allow to turn off move gizmo when moving points while in Move mode of Tool Options panel. The gizmo should not be activated every time we click on a point.

Can anyone confirm?

• Advanced Member

Works fine on my side:

1. I started a new scene with a voxel sphere.

2. Went to render room and back to sculpt room.

3. Selected Cut Off tool and it cut off a part of the sphere.

Thanks for trying it out. Strange it happens with me and not you. I just did what you did and I still get a 2D-Paint action. If you get the chance, could you see what happens if you leave the Render Room with Realitme Render switched on?

• Contributor

Woe is me! My work is coming back from a "saved" state completely garbled.

post-1430-0-19632000-1459700424_thumb.pn

post-1430-0-75472000-1459700560_thumb.pn

This happened previously to the upper teeth which I am doing over. Imagine my consternation when I discoverd on loading my scene that it was now the lower teeth that got scrambled. I am seperating the upper and lower teeth to separate files, so hope for the best. I sent the file to Andrew. :(

• Advanced Member

Tony, I get this too, though I've never been sure what the cause is. It's happened twice to me so far on my ornate chest of drawers project and I've only been able to salvage it by going back to previous saves and exporting out the retopo meshes from there and bringing it back to my latest file.

I had thought it was something to do with conforming retopo to the sculpt, and maybe I was accidentally moving things in the sculpt room and it wasn't liking it. But it has nothing to do with that. My current theory is to do with the symmetry, but I've never been able to reproduce this issue on purpose, I just randomly find that the retopo has gone super screwy from time to time..