3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Contributor

Here is a peculiar development:

post-1430-0-58442500-1460222572_thumb.pn

I noticed that the "Partial_symmetry" was getting more out of wack (it started perfect) so I hid the voxtree volume and I find that none of my ReFills were making it to the other side and many other P&F and Quad work didn't make the cut either.

Groan! Any suggestions on how to expedite the cleanup?

• Contributor

Yes, I had teeth, upper and lower.. In retopo the saved file returned all of one volumes veritces snapped helter=skelter to the other object. To get around this behavior (twice with both objects) I saved the bottom teeth to a separate file (no child volumes) without incident.This is 4.5.33.

Yeah, I've noticed really odd problems here and there, recently in 3D Coat and most of them seem to be resolved just by restarting the app. I was showing off the FLATTEN brush using the ON-PLANE option, to someone recently, and at first it seemed to work great, but then started acting like there was a bug. After restarting all was well again. Something is going on under the hood that randomly causes 3D Coat to bug out once in a while.

I found the culprit. Turns out the problem was caused by contents of /factures directory. Removal of this directory from 3D-CoatsV45 preferences folder fixes the problem.

http://3dcoat.com/mantis/view.php?id=2104

Edited by ajz3d

4.5.34 [beta]

- Cut and Connect for lowpoly modeling in retopo room.
CutAndConnect.png 
- New import option for PPP - import eah material as separate UV set.
- Fixed problem of "Apply symmetry" and mesh corruption.
- Relative paths to textures in exported OBJ files.
- Fixed problem of OBJ export, vertices are correctly distributed between objects, not concentrated in first one. This proble was the reason of C4D crashes durig import of Coat's obj files.
- When you paint with smart materials depth channel will replace current one on this layer instead of constant growing.
- Retopo shaders are pbr-compatible, retopo model lit in correspondence with panorama.
- 3D lasso selection quality improved a bit.
- Retopo->Apply symmetry messing polygons problem fixed.

• Like 6

• Contributor

Cut edges works great with add/split and connect.

Symmetry bug gone as well.

Retopo apply symmetry working as expected as well.

AWESOME .

P.S

Rauls brunches for semi retopo haven't been updated yes??

Edited by Michaelgdrs

• Advanced Member

Nice, some good fixes in this one. What's the usual sort of time-frame/workflow to go from beta to stable? Last I checked I think the steam version was still 4.5.19, just curious as to what the requirements are for when that version would get updated?

Nice, some good fixes in this one. What's the usual sort of time-frame/workflow to go from beta to stable? Last I checked I think the steam version was still 4.5.19, just curious as to what the requirements are for when that version would get updated?

When I see that almost no issues reported - I call it stable.

- New import option for PPP - import each material as separate UV set.

How its work please ?

In the import settings are listed as treat materials as separate textures.

switching on/off but cant see any changes

ty

• Contributor

- New import option for PPP - import each material as separate UV set.

How its work please ?

In the import settings are listed as treat materials as separate textures.

switching on/off but cant see any changes

ty

If i create id map in 3ds max or Houdini or Maya and then import for PPP with treat materials as separate textures  then of each id map or material it creates a different uv set.

If i import it in with out  treat materials as separate textures  and select auto mapping it creates one UV.

If i import it in with out  treat materials as separate textures  and select keep UV again it creates one UV.

So  treat materials as separate textures works as expected.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

4.5.34 [beta]

CutAndConnect.png 

- Fixed problem of OBJ export, vertices are correctly distributed between objects, not concentrated in first one. This proble was the reason of C4D crashes durig import of Coat's obj files.

- When you paint with smart materials depth channel will replace current one on this layer instead of constant growing.

- Retopo shaders are pbr-compatible, retopo model lit in correspondence with panorama.

Andrew, could you PLEASE, PLEASE add the ability to the ADD/SPLIT tool to press down a modifier hotkey (SHIFT key?) to invoke the preview +RMB click to fill a single polygon like you do with the Points & Faces tool? I don't know how many times I've used the Add/Split tool to get down to that last polygon and have no way to fill it.....without having to waste extra time/effort to switch tools just for that one single polygon..It has me doing this each time...

giphy.gif

Yes, I know you have the ability to switch from the Points and Faces tool to other tools using hotkeys...but it shouldn't be the only tool with such flexibility. I usually have the two hotkeys set to the Quads tool and Split Rings tool. But almost every single time I use the ADD/SPLIT tool, I find myself always having to switch to the Points & Faces tool to finish the last polygon (when a single polygon opening is left)

• Like 3

4.5.34 [beta]

CutAndConnect.png 

Thanks Andrew! Giving it a go.

• Contributor

Anyone tried this beta with Vista yet? Supposedly it works now ,but was not mentioned in the update list.

Yeah I tried it on my Vista machine. It mostly works, but I got lots of random crashes. I also noticed that sculpting in voxel mode doesn't work, only works in surface mode.

I'm still gonna upgrade that machine. I'm done with Vista.

• Contributor

In this latest beta (4.5.34) I think the way the retopo polygons look in the retopo room is amazing! It looks better than any 3D app I have ever used! Great job on the new retopo lighting! I really hope you add low poly modeling. It will look so good like that!

On the other hand I'm sad because the Curves Tool points still don't work with snapping (2D or 3D grid).

• Contributor

Use no-cuda version

Wow! Thanks! The no-cuda version works! Both voxel and surface are ok now!

Also, you fixed the Curves Tool snapping? I noticed a new option for "on plane" above the viewport...was that option always there? Anyways, if I turn that on, then snapping works!

The only part of snapping that is still broken is moving the points. If I move the points they snap, but not perfectly to the correct spot.

Thanks. Working with my Vista now. So can I get Pic-mat grey back? I cant find the post that said how, Im sure I saw saw something about this a few weeks back.

Why not create your own material from existing copy?

• Advanced Member

Why not create your own material from existing copy?

I will look in the manual .....i just want the simple pic- mat grey that was there before, and maybe the clay coloured one also.

What do you mean by existing copy? Do you mean fiddle about with one of the new shaders...

Sorry , Im just a basic user that is rapidly losing interest in all this 3d suff.and  hasnt used 3d coat for 4 months. Those fancy shaders do nothing for me.

I will look in the manual .....i just want the simple pic- mat grey that was there before, and maybe the clay coloured one also.

What do you mean by existing copy? Do you mean fiddle about with one of the new shaders...

Sorry , Im just a basic user that is rapidly losing interest in all this 3d suff.and  hasnt used 3d coat for 4 months. Those fancy shaders do nothing for me.

Exactly. Just use right click on the default shader, make a copy and change your options like color etc. It is really easy.

• Reputable Contributor

Any news about sculpting layers or multi-monitor support?

I don't think so. I think we all have bogged Andrew down with a barrage of smaller requests. :D  As for Multi-Monitor support, I thought Andrew said that would require MAJOR structural work = not likely to get done anytime soon, with so many other things on the To Do list. As a consolation, you can simply scale/stretch your UI across two monitors. It works pretty well and affords much the same functionality....that is more real estate, where you can have your Texture Editor and panels on 2nd Monitor and all 3D viewport on your primary monitor 

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

How does the RFill Tool and QuadStripTool work? Are they supposed to work on these builds? The QuadStripTool draws a stroke, thats all I can get it to do, did I miss the instructions ? :)