3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

RFill fills holes in a very nice way.

QuadPaint Tool works by creating closed curve shapes and use Apply then.

Both tools are unstable! Be careful.

I don't know how to use Quadstrip. I guess it is in an pre alpha stage. Better don't touch it.

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

""""""""Quadstriptool works by APPLY""""""""""""

Mine has no apply. Just clear.

I'm not touching any of those tools until they are out of Beta, to be honest. I tried them recently, and like Chris just said...it's best to leave them alone for now.

Hi everyone, I'm trying to split each material into UV sets....  I can see "Surface Materials" show up fine and propagates according to my object surfaces/material list. However I was expecting UV sets to also be propagated. What am I missing...? 

Is there a way to populate "Surface Materials"  list to the > UV Sets? I'm probably not doing something correctly. Do I need to have existing UV coordinates on each vert? Do those UVs need to be in different quadrants (a la UDIM)?

Our past workflow has been to break up the object into many different objects, each object representing a UV Set in 3D Coat. This is a pretty archaic and slow workflow so I was jacked up and excited to see "New import option for PPP - import each material as separate UV set" in the latest beta description.

• Contributor

For those contemplating using VoxHide, it has problems:

post-1430-0-21302200-1460653423_thumb.pn

This makes retopology of mouth cavities very problematic, You can save if your object is symmetrical. At first I thought I had hidden a part in perspective mode and tried to restore it in orthographic mode but correcting for this gave a similar mis-match.

I have a bad mesh in the lower part of the mouth cavity but hiding the top half of the head would leave no safety net as it isn't symmetrical in Y. :(

Agree with Philbraaten

If i import a model with Material IDs, will be helpful if 3DC automatically set Layer Groups by Material iDs and assigned to UVsets. 

And export the finished work in the same way, to assigned folders renaming textures and custom select paths

paint room, surface material, painted object, uv room... the user need to switch switch switch... a more relaxed workflow could help a lot

• Like 1

• Contributor

Agree with Philbraaten

If i import a model with Material IDs, will be helpful if 3DC automatically set Layer Groups by Material iDs and assigned to UVsets. 

And export the finished work in the same way, to assigned folders renaming textures and custom select paths

paint room, surface material, painted object, uv room... the user need to switch switch switch... a more relaxed workflow could help a lot

Its a MUST especially when all other apps out there use ID maps .

Hopes are high for this and its really easy to be achieved.

Could not agree more. I've asked Andrew for this many, many times. To be honest, it makes 3DC unusable in quite a number of pipelines. I've had companies flat out refuse to use the tool because of this feature (or sometimes this is the straw that broke the camels back scenario). It's a huge problem that 3DC breaks the intended design of the file. Especially when more than one person is working in the pipeline.

This, compounded by a few other niggling issues like this, turn studios to other tools. Mari has come up many times as an alternative, and that is much more expensive. Lost users. Lost revenue. Bummer.

• Like 1

I think you must create a new retopo group for each material so that as you retopo an object, your polygons can be separated by material.

I'll try this! 

UPDATE: OK this could work if I had to retopo the import.... but...  that's not really the case for us at this stage of the pipe. We have prop and set assets being built in different software and the polycount is already pretty efficient. Anyway, nothing would go into the retopo group because there's nothing to retopo. 

Edited by philbraaten

• Advanced Member

Ok ,Having a nightmare now. I have just re installed Widows Vista . So I have a completely clean computer... tried to install Beta 34 but wont run because of some sort of "application  error"

Should I have installed an earlier version first.  or any vital software I should have..( I have the latest nvidia driver.) My first re install I downloaded all 119 updates for windows ,but 3dcoat would not run, so I re installed again but have not installed the updates yet ,thinking that might have something to do with it.

Clueless now.

Ok ,Having a nightmare now. I have just re installed Widows Vista . So I have a completely clean computer... tried to install Beta 34 but wont run because of some sort of "application error"

Should I have installed an earlier version first. or any vital software I should have..( I have the latest nvidia driver.) My first re install I downloaded all 119 updates for windows ,but 3dcoat would not run, so I re installed again but have not installed the updates yet ,thinking that might have something to do with it.

Clueless now.

The latest versions do not support Windows Vista.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Yeah I tried it on my Vista machine. It mostly works, but I got lots of random crashes. I also noticed that sculpting in voxel mode doesn't work, only works in surface mode.

I'm still gonna upgrade that machine. I'm done with Vista.

Use no-cuda version

Please drop a line to Andrew

may be you need Microsoft Visual C++ redistributables

• Contributor

Ok ,Having a nightmare now. I have just re installed Widows Vista . So I have a completely clean computer... tried to install Beta 34 but wont run because of some sort of "application error"

Should I have installed an earlier version first. or any vital software I should have..( I have the latest nvidia driver.) My first re install I downloaded all 119 updates for windows ,but 3dcoat would not run, so I re installed again but have not installed the updates yet ,thinking that might have something to do with it.

Clueless now.

Beta 34 worked on my Vista machine but I had to use the non-cuda version to get voxel sculpting to work (as Andrew suggested). I had all Windows Vista updates installed. I think you also need DirectX 9 loaded (if it isn't already).

Also don't load the Nvidia GeForce driver 364.72 because it supposedly has some bad bugs. Roll back to a previous version. I read somewhere 314.22 is ok.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the input guys! Had this all working ok last week...so I know it will work fine . then out of the blue my computer just went really slow and jerky. So had to bit the bullet and start again.

Got Direct X 10.1,geforce 341 95 

Sick of messing with all this .Think I will pack it in for now . See if I can get a middle of the road new computer for cheap.

I will have a go today, if its not working by bedtime ....see you in a few months..... :dash2:

Thanks for the input guys! Had this all working ok last week...so I know it will work fine . then out of the blue my computer just went really slow and jerky. So had to bit the bullet and start again.

Got Direct X 10.1,geforce 341 95 

Sick of messing with all this .Think I will pack it in for now . See if I can get a middle of the road new computer for cheap.

I will have a go today, if its not working by bedtime ....see you in a few months..... :dash2:

If you already decided to reinstall vista why not install windows 10 instead of this? I am sure it would work like a charm even on your old machine.

Give it a try before buying a new workstation.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Cant edit my last post.

But, I've managed to get 4.5.19 working at last ! 124 updates on Vista , nvidia driver backwards and forwards . ( using the latest) Now got to install all the other stuff........sigh.

Still, I can start saving and try to figure out about a new computer... thanks for the input fellers.

Move along ...nothing to see here.....

• Contributor

If I were you Stu, I would hold with the purchase of Windows 10 to the last possible moment and buy Windows 7 instead. It will be supported until 14th of January 2020 and you might save yourself major privacy violation issues as well as problems caused by enforced updates.

Windows 7 rules! I tried the free update to 10 and lost my audio. :mad:

had the same audio problems when 10 first came out...had to uninstall/reinstall drivers each reboot to get sound working again. (back to Windows 7)

BUT...A few weeks ago decided to Try it again since creative have released audio drivers for Win10 and no problems now, sticking to 10.

Look for some updated drivers for you sound card, the ones installed with windows 10 suck.

Windows 10 is faster and has some cool features for multi monitor support like each monitor can have it's own task bar.

Windows 7 is still great, the audio issue was the only thing keeping me from upgrading and now that is fixed.

who ever is still on vista should upgrade to 7 to 10...you can always install it on a new computer later (worst case you just call the automated microsoft number to reset the hardware)

• Advanced Member

One more request.

Could Paint Objects list be sorted alphabetically?

+1

When you have a long list of objects it takes far too long to find the one you are looking for, they are not sorted in any way from what I can see. Sorting them alphabetically would be of great help.

Edited by wilson66
  • Like 2