3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

""""""""""""""Cuda only in sculpt room. Uncheck in geometry menu""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

That solved my issue. I was expecting the "auto choice" mentioned in the release notes.

Anyway........................

It is ticked automatically if your video card supports CUDA. If it doesn't support CUDA, it isn't ticked. That's where the "automatic" part comes into play. Pretty straight forward really.

4.5.37 [beta]

- New splash screen :)

- Shift in Add/Split and Quads tools will cap the hole.

- Updated sort of smart materials. Additional panoramas.

- Fixed problem of navigation in render room in ortho projection mode.

- Fixed problems related to "View->View seams". It was showing seams + split normals on edges. Now it shows only seams.

- Fixed longstanding palette "Load" .aco files crash.

- fixed problem of moving collapsed maeria preview window

- AO correctly used for PBR materials for surface /voxels. There was problems since shaders unification.

- Transform/copy tool -> Import accepts not only psd files but regular images as well. It simplifies applying images over the model.

- PSD export/import corrected - metalness channel included in layers.

- Correct mip-mapping (no aliasing or blurring) for UV-mapping mode of masks application.

- problems related to licensing solved

• Like 5

• Reputable Contributor

4.5.37 [beta]

- New splash screen :)

- Shift in Add/Split and Quads tools will cap the hole.

- Updated sort of smart materials. Additional panoramas.

- Fixed problem of navigation in render room in ortho projection mode.

- Fixed problems related to "View->View seams". It was showing seams + split normals on edges. Now it shows only seams.

- Fixed longstanding palette "Load" .aco files crash.

- fixed problem of moving collapsed maeria preview window

- AO correctly used for PBR materials for surface /voxels. There was problems since shaders unification.

- Transform/copy tool -> Import accepts not only psd files but regular images as well. It simplifies applying images over the model.

- PSD export/import corrected - metalness channel included in layers.

- Correct mip-mapping (no aliasing or blurring) for UV-mapping mode of masks application.

Thanks a bunch, Andrew. The SHIFT to fill hole addressed a small but annoying issue. Much appreciated. :good:

On another note, could we PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE have an Option in the Retopo Room, that works just like the "USE VISIBLE PAINT OBJECT AS RETOPO MESH" except rather than bringing a copy of the Paint Object into the Retopo room, it "REPLACES VISIBLE PAINT OBJECT." This would save the tedious and non-intuitive process of exporting out of 3D Coat from one room and having to import back into another room. That is so frustrating and I don't know of any competing application that forces the user to send meshes and maps outside the app and import it back into another just to makes some edits or additions to a model.

In the process, of  using REPLACE VISIBLE PAINT OBJECT, we need a pop-up that let's us bake maps to new Paint layers...so they don't lose current texture work/layers, and can add new maps if they have gone back to the Sculpt Workspace. Art Directors and clients routinely ask for changes, even in the later stages of the pipeline, like texture painting, and the artist needs a more streamlined method to propagate those changes (sculpt/pose or poly-modeling edits in the Retopo room) back to the Paint workspace.

Right now, as long as you follow the typical workflow of "Modeling/Sculpt > Retopo/UV edit > Bake > Texture Paint" traffic flows rather smoothly. But if you have to go back at any stage, it's a car accident on a busy freeway during rush hour traffic. It's an absolute mess. Can we PLEASE address this? I've ask about this repeated over the past few years, and it always gets pushed to the back of the line.

• Like 3

• Reputable Contributor

...either that solution or unifying the Paint Mesh and Retopo Meshes, so that they are one and the same. No more separate meshes in each workspace. This would prevent the need to USE VISIBLE PAINT OBJECT AS RETOPO MESH and REPLACE PAINT OBJECT. It would also allow the Tweak Room to be removed, as well as removing the UV tools from the Retopo room (having UV tools in two separate rooms create so much confusion for new users).

One of the biggest benefits is that the user could now step into the Retopo (Mesh Tools) room and subdivide their Paint room object if they need, and use the full range of poly-modeling and transform tools without the confusing and nonsensical need to import and export meshes in and out of 3D Coat, just to perform some simple edits. This would be HUGE and make 3D Coat a more feasible production app for sculpting/modeling. All these extra hoops and workarounds are workflow killers and a big turn off to new users.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

...I'm going to have to keep beating this drum because it is so difficult to explain or demonstrate workflows that I know will confuse and frustrate new users.

"Import your low-poly model into this workspace....then import it into that workspace....now let's import the result into that workspace....if you need to go back and make some modeling/sculpting edits, it gets even more confusing...after making your changes, we have to export the resulting mesh outside of 3D Coat....then we have to merge/bake to this workspace....then export the resulting new normal map outside 3D Coat....then close the app...then reopen the app.....then open the old file version....then import the newly exported mesh.....then import the newly baked normal map. ALL OF THIS JUST TO MAKE SOME BASIC MODELING EDITS! It's insanely difficult, confusing and off-putting. It's all because 3D Coat separates the pipleine into 3 separate mesh structures...PAINT, RETOPO, SCULPT. The Paint and Retopo need to be consolidated into one structure....just a low poly mesh. Period. PLEASE

giphy.gif

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

"""""""""""""""Video card supports CUDA. Pretty straight forward""""""""""""""""""

Thanks Javis, Except a few builds back there was an upgrade in the cuda 3dc uses that stopped working on my NVidia quadro fx5600. SO it came on my system "ticked" but voxels no longer worked.

The "Use cuda" tick was removed some time ago. (Or it just wasn't in the non cuda versions I've been using for awhile now)  Didn't think to look for it again.

• Advanced Member

"""""""""For quadro try GL"""""""""""""""""

Thanks Carlosan,

I run 3dc pretty good. Its just that the CUDA quit working awhile back when Andrew upgraded what CUDA toolkit he was using. So I have to use "Non Cuda"...... The new unified build was set to autodetect CUDA and it chose that I have a CUDA Card. I just didn't know about the tick selection to turn it off in the geometry menu. So the new builds weren't working for me, until I read the post about the menu option to turn it back off again.....

Just to be clear, CUDA for me means Voxels don't work..... So I got it turned off and am back on the newest builds again....

Thanks.

• Contributor

"""""""""For quadro try GL"""""""""""""""""

Thanks Carlosan,

I run 3dc pretty good. Its just that the CUDA quit working awhile back when Andrew upgraded what CUDA toolkit he was using. So I have to use "Non Cuda"...... The new unified build was set to autodetect CUDA and it chose that I have a CUDA Card. I just didn't know about the tick selection to turn it off in the geometry menu. So the new builds weren't working for me, until I read the post about the menu option to turn it back off again.....

Just to be clear, CUDA for me means Voxels don't work..... So I got it turned off and am back on the newest builds again....

Thanks.

Is there a list somewhere saying which graphics cards and drivers are no longer supported? I've noticed some newer Quadros don't work with Cuda 3D-Coat, while other cards do...

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Indeed, who can resist that soulful appeal?

I've already tried repetition and patience...desperate times require desperate measures. That's why I had to resort to using the pitiful cat look from Puss N Boots. :D

• Like 1

• Contributor

I will have to resort to the very same psychological technique.

I feel that I'm spending most of my texturing time trying to find out where the paint object I want to isolate/hide/reveal is. Constantly scrolling the Paint Objects list up and down... It is unsorted, so if you have many objects to scroll through, looking for that particular one is a nightmare (I mean it!) and wastes a LOT of time.

Can alphanumerical sorting be implemented into Paint Objects window in 4.5.38, please? Possibly with an option to reverse the sorting?

giphy.gif

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

""""""""""Is there a list of cards?"""""""""""""""""""""

I think it's the version of CUDA your card has built into it?

You can look here:

https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus

If you don't see your card here, then there is a link for "legacy cards".... If you fall into legacy cards, you probably wont support the new cuda toolkit...

• Contributor

""""""""""Is there a list of cards?"""""""""""""""""""""

I think it's the version of CUDA your card has built into it?

You can look here:

https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus

If you don't see your card here, then there is a link for "legacy cards".... If you fall into legacy cards, you probably wont support the new cuda toolkit...

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for!

It says there that each card has a "CUDA compute capability" number. All the legacy cards have 2.0 or lower.

Actually now I remember that I used to have a Quadro FX 3800 that didn't work with Blender Cycles GPU because the compute capability was too low. I got rid of that card a long time ago...

Anyways, my Quadro k4000 has a 3.0 compute capability. It's not listed as legacy, but it still doesn't work with the latest 3D-Coat CUDA betas. I wonder how much compute capability 3D-Coat CUDA is requiring now? Shouldn't 3.0 be enough?

• Contributor

I believe its a drivers issue.

If i remember correctly at some point and before i buy 3d coat tried the demo on a Quadro and it worked on GL.

But

1) It was an old version of 3d coat

2) Drivers were modified from http://www.guru3d.com/ ??? or a similar site , sorry its long time ago

• Advanced Member

I think it has to do with Andrew moving to the newest CUDA toolkit. The older cards, even with CUDA, don't support the newer toolkit version.  Its not computing power. It will have to do with the CUDA version supported on the card.

• Like 1

"""""""""""""""Video card supports CUDA. Pretty straight forward""""""""""""""""""

Thanks Javis, Except a few builds back there was an upgrade in the cuda 3dc uses that stopped working on my NVidia quadro fx5600. SO it came on my system "ticked" but voxels no longer worked.

The "Use cuda" tick was removed some time ago. (Or it just wasn't in the non cuda versions I've been using for awhile now)  Didn't think to look for it again.

Yeah same here. I have been using the Non-CUDA versions forever now. I hope by using a unified build there are no residual issues due to CUDA, even if it's not being used.

• Like 1

Just tried the latest version, and the wireframe mode seems to have been changed? Now whenever pressing the "W" key the mesh faces disappear for a moment before going into the regular wireframe on/off modes, and if its held only the wires are shown.

Also, turning on Orthographic turns off the background image.

Edited by PolyHertz

• Contributor

Bug Report:

The "Subdivide" button in the Tool Options of the Sculpt Room Import Tool is not working correctly. Currently it acts the same as the "Flat Subdivision" button. The "Subdivide" button should subdivide AND smooth, not just subdivide.

This button works correctly if the "Pick From Retopo" button is used, but it does not work if the "Select Mesh" button is used.

Please fix this. Thank you!

Edited by carlosan
  • Like 1

• Contributor

I popped in to say that it is nigh impossible to translate a smart material when it is set to UV-mapping. It takes ages to move it by just a few pixels, and directions are unintuitive (I move my mouse up and smart material moves to the lower-left, for example). It's a big problem.

post-12523-0-53140300-1462563326_thumb.p

• Like 1

I have a weird issue. When I export a retopo object, if I happen to have symmetry enabled on one axis, geometry looks fine. But if I happen symmetry on more than one axis, I end up with a broken mesh. Here are screenshots:

G3rdrc6.png

Broken mesh in maya:

XQOcZXt.png

When symmetry is off:

dIezTtA.png

• Contributor

PLEASE kindly add a numeric values for scale and rotate on smart materials.

Its impossimple to achive the same scale on two different models (that are on separate files) with the existing method.