3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

Bug Report:

The "Subdivide" button in the Tool Options of the Sculpt Room Import Tool is not working correctly. Currently it acts the same as the "Flat Subdivision" button. The "Subdivide" button should subdivide AND smooth, not just subdivide.

This button works correctly if the "Pick From Retopo" button is used, but it does not work if the "Select Mesh" button is used.

Please fix this. Thank you!

I checked, it works as expected. It may not work if imported mesh has sharp edges.

• Contributor

In Export Constructor, typing a numerical value into gamma input field doesn't affect exported texture in any way. Can someone confirm?

post-12523-0-41618200-1462909917_thumb.j

---

EDIT: NVM. Must be something with Targas. For some reason they're the default in the supplied presets.

Edited by ajz3d

I tried, but no luck. It works as expected in texture editor. If you have ideas to reproduce - send to support@3d-coat.com

I'll try to lighten the scene and textures and send it to that mail address to help reproduce it and know what's happening

• Contributor

I think it has to do with Andrew moving to the newest CUDA toolkit. The older cards, even with CUDA, don't support the newer toolkit version. Its not computing power. It will have to do with the CUDA version supported on the card.

So I updated the driver for my Quadro k4000, and now CUDA works in 3D-Coat again! The update info said it was now using CUDA 7, so I guess that means 3D-Coat is using CUDA 7 too (since it is working again).

Thanks for the help everyone!

• Like 2

• Contributor

Hey TimmyZ, could you share the model you're using? I'll give it a whirl. Could start a new thread somewhere and we'll see what's what.

So I did some more tests with a bunch of different OBJs, and some seem to work and some don't. I'll send Andrew an OBJ that doesn't work at some point. Maybe those files are corrupted or maybe there is a difference depending on where the OBJ was generated, or perhaps there is something else special about them. Anyways, I don't want to troubleshoot it anymore, so I'll just be using the Retopo Room import workaround. That's good enough for me for now.

But thank you so much Gary for offering to help! People like you make this community great!

• Reputable Contributor

So I updated the driver for my Quadro k4000, and now CUDA works in 3D-Coat again! The update info said it was now using CUDA 7, so I guess that means 3D-Coat is using CUDA 7 too (since it is working again).

Thanks for the help everyone!

I don't think Andrew has recompiled CUDA since he first included it in V3 Beta...several years ago. That means your card is not able to leverage many of the newer technologies the more recent CUDA versions have added. If Andrew recompiled CUDA in 3D Coat, it would make a huge difference. It's needed most in the POSE and MOVE tool, but only the Voxel brushes use CUDA, and there are only a handful of them, compared to Surface mode brushes. That's why I rarely sculpt in Voxel mode anymore. It's kind of like the Tweak room of the Sculpt room....sort of abandoned. Shame, cause these recent NVidia cards could make Voxel sculpting really rock.

• Advanced Member

""""""""""""TimmyZ Updated driver""""""""""""""

Well, there you have it. The latest driver for me is using CUDA 6.5.......!

My $2000 card is now slower than my kids GTX970 I got him!!!! lol. But my card is still a solid workhorse... 36 hour operations and such......

Edited by BurrMan

• Advanced Member

As a sidenote, is there any way to get my user account upgraded to "he wont hurt us" level or something? I cant copy and paste links or quote other users etc.. Have to manually type everything..... Painful being a neophyte.. Maybe make me numbnuts or something slightly higher! :boast:

• Like 1

• Contributor

As a sidenote, is there any way to get my user account upgraded to "he wont hurt us" level or something? I cant copy and paste links or quote other users etc.. Have to manually type everything..... Painful being a neophyte.. Maybe make me numbnuts or something slightly higher! :boast:

You should probably PM one of the mods (Carlosan, Javis, etc.). I don't know how strict they are with the rules, maybe they will accommodate your request.
  • Like 2

• Contributor

Post back to this and something good will happen.....

(i f i remember correctly if your post is equal or higher than 100 you go out of Neo ;) )

Edited by Michaelgdrs

• Advanced Member

Post back to this and something good will happen.....

(i f i remember correctly if your post is equal or higher than 100 you go out of Neo ;) )

Lol. Wouldnt you know. There it is!. Numbnuts it is!!!! Thanks for the reply... Edited by BurrMan
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Abnranger,

Here is the point in the builds where it started for me:

http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17076&page=83#entry125158

Even though my driver says its using 6.5, it no longer works here.. Just turned it off.....I am a couple drivers back now though, may try the last one...

That's interesting. I've tried and tried for years to get Andrew to recompile CUDA to a new version, and he was always reluctant to do so. I have never heard him mention that they did a CUDA recompile, nor have I seen anything in the Build release notes that indicated it had been done.

• Advanced Member

That's interesting. I've tried and tried for years to get Andrew to recompile CUDA to a new version, and he was always reluctant to do so. I have never heard him mention that they did a CUDA recompile, nor have I seen anything in the Build release notes that indicated it had been done.

I think he was doing something with "CL" and thats when they moved it up. You should find the CL stuff listed in the build lists.

• Reputable Contributor

I think he was doing something with "CL" and thats when they moved it up. You should find the CL stuff listed in the build lists.

They did accelerate the the AO baking with OpenCL, which we all know, but nothing was mentioned about CUDA being recompiled to a newer version.

• Advanced Member

They did accelerate the the AO baking with OpenCL, which we all know, but nothing was mentioned about CUDA being recompiled to a newer version.

Yeah, thats my lack of understanding talking. I was talking as if CUDA and openCL were from the same toolkit. My Bad. It caught me on 3dcoat build back then and that Answer from Andrew answered my problem and got me going. But yeah, you are correct. The CUDA update was never discussed.

As an added side note to my previous thread about quoteing and copying/pasting here in the forum, it seams it is related to IE11 browser.... Using another browser for this forum now...

Edited by BurrMan

- There is possibility to bake Sculpt objects onto current paint mesh. Retopo->Update paint mesh. It will keep painted textures and update normalmap and layers related to Sculpt volumes. It simplifies workflow when you need to change something in geometry on very late stage. Also you may bring paint mesh to sculpt room directly using Geometry->Paint mesh->Sculpt mesh.

- "Ignore back faces" works for Move tool in surface mode.

- If you select some voume via H key VoxTree will be scrolled to show selected volume.

- Material navigation in UV mapping mode tweaked (Speed of transformation).

- Color picker gets color from everywhere on screen. In color picker dialog clicking outside the picker window will pick color as well. "V" hotkey works there as well.

- Toggle Freeze works correctly.

- prim history works correctly for voxels as well.

• Like 5