3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Advanced Member

Mac OS X [4.5.40]: Crashes when switching from surface to voxel mode when vertex painted or with pbr materials.

Repeatable/ Consistent

osx 10.8.5

NVIDIA GeForce 9400

p.s any application setting advise for older macs ?

Performance on screen become instantly laggy  when vertex paint is applied.

4.1 works like a dream on 10.6.8

What's wrong with the move brush in the sculpt room?  I'm getting a flipping effect, like I can see the normal of the brush rolling around as I pull the mesh, and the fall off is totally messed up, like noise.  Some points move the way I'm pulling, and others move in the opposite direction.

It's in 4.5.40 and some older betas, not sure how far back it goes.

GL and DX versions do this, in voxel and surface modes.

windows 10

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 

Ram: 32.0GB

64-bit OS, x64-based processor

GeForce GTX 760(192bit)

MoveBrushProblem.jpg

Edited by GabeM

On 25.05.2016 at 10:48 PM, Michaelgdrs said:

Can someone please verify that AO is working?

I bake AO from Paint --> Textures --> Calculate Occlution and allthough it does calculates it , it gives up nothing as a result.

On 25.05.2016 at 11:07 PM, Carlosan said:

AO is working, but cant select cpu or openCL, and post smoothing steps anymore

On 25.05.2016 at 11:21 PM, carrots said:

It should work fine.
Please more information:
1. Version 3D Coat
2. The resolution textures
3. Model graphics card
4. Operating system

Since version 3D Coat 4.5.38, AO calculated entirely on the GPU using shaders, no choice between OpenCL and GPU.

I had an issue with AO calculations: sphere - did no visible results, hemisphere+sphere - exploded my model after calc. I've tested several times, then I restarted 3dcoat and AO calculations worked fine. Very strange.

My specs are: 3dcoat 4.5.40 x64, 1k texture, gtx780ti, win 7 x64.

Why post smoothing steps were removed? Very usefull feature. I used it for draft AO generation, like a preview before high quality baking, very time consuming. Also, it was a good looking dirt texture mask =)

• Advanced Member

I try to install Applink for 3ds max 2016 and it fails. I have downloaded 3ds_Max_Applink_v1.8c.mzp from 3DC website and drag and drop it to 3ds max 2016 window. There is pop-up window with Install and Uninstall buttons. I click Install and receive an error message a few seconds later - Install failed.

10 hours ago, netgoblin said:

I had an issue with AO calculations: sphere - did no visible results, hemisphere+sphere - exploded my model after calc. I've tested several times, then I restarted 3dcoat and AO calculations worked fine. Very strange.

My specs are: 3dcoat 4.5.40 x64, 1k texture, gtx780ti, win 7 x64.

Why post smoothing steps were removed? Very usefull feature. I used it for draft AO generation, like a preview before high quality baking, very time consuming. Also, it was a good looking dirt texture mask =)

Thank you!
Yes, there is a problem on some hardware, I'm looking for the cause.
The parameter post smoothing is not necessary, AO calculated quickly.
You can use Texture-> Adjust-> Smooth Current Layer

• Reputable Contributor
3 minutes ago, carrots said:

Thank you!
Yes, there is a problem on some hardware, I'm looking for the cause.
The parameter post smoothing is not necessary, AO calculated quickly.
You can use Texture-> Adjust-> Smooth Current Layer

Would it be possible to add a falloff spinner, and perhaps see the preview change accordingly in the same preview window we have for the Smart Materials and Fill tool? That would be a major improvement to AO in 3D Coat

5 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

Would it be possible to add a falloff spinner, and perhaps see the preview change accordingly in the same preview window we have for the Smart Materials and Fill tool? That would be a major improvement to AO in 3D Coat

It is planned to do later, when it will be ready ray tracing engine.

• Advanced Member

Don't know if its already said here or if I'm doing something really wrong, but on 4.5.40 I trying to import a obj composed of several meshes. Each mesh has its own material and I'm using auto-mapping. The option "treat materials as separeted textures" does not work. It only shows one UV set as you can see:

3dcoat.png

Guest pnog

Version 4.5.37, 4.5.40:
"Clone" Retopo object doesn't work in Retopo Room: new Retopo object not created.
Steps:
Click on Retopo object layer in "Retopo objects" list.
Click "Select all faces of this layer".
Click "Selected -> Clone"
Click "Apply".
Click "Yes".
Result -> new layer is not created in "Retopo objects" list as expected.

Edited by pnog

Guest pnog
Just now, Carlosan said:

@pnog

Testing 4.5.40

Result -> new layer is created in "Retopo objects" list as expected.

Could you please try with another model ? ty

--------------------------------

@dimitribastos

Confirmed

Thank you for testing.

New info: New layer created only if layer name started with "RetopoGroup".

For example, for layer with name "LOD0" new layer not created.

Guest pnog
Just now, pnog said:

Thank you for testing.

New info: New layer created only if layer name started with "RetopoGroup".

For example, for layer with name "LOD0" new layer not created.

More specifically:

I can create clone of Retopo layer ONLY with this steps:

Rename Retopo Layer to "RetopoGroup".
Click on this Retopo layer.
Click "Add a new layer".
Click "Apply".
Click "Yes".

17 hours ago, dimitribastos said:

Don't know if its already said here or if I'm doing something really wrong, but on 4.5.40 I trying to import a obj composed of several meshes. Each mesh has its own material and I'm using auto-mapping. The option "treat materials as separeted textures" does not work. It only shows one UV set as you can see:

3dcoat.png

I can confirm this. Same build, win7 x64. Also confirmed on MacOS by another user, unsure of their exact OS. 3DC v4.5.39A.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
23 minutes ago, Javis said:

I can confirm this. Same build, win7 x64. Also confirmed on MacOS by another user, unsure of their exact OS. 3DC v4.5.39A.

Thanks, Javis! 

I've made further explorations on the problem here: 

• Reputable Contributor
6 hours ago, pnog said:

More specifically:

I can create clone of Retopo layer ONLY with this steps:

Rename Retopo Layer to "RetopoGroup".
Click on this Retopo layer.
Click "Add a new layer".
Click "Apply".
Click "Yes".

This is a bug that recently cropped up, related to Andrew adding the ability to REPLACE PAINT MESH with RETOPO MESH. I reported it previoulsy and hopefully it will be in the next build. It actually is creating a clone. It just no longer is creating a new layer and applying it to that layer. In the mean time, you can...with those faces (only the cloned faces will be highlighted after you hit the ENTER key) still highlighted, create a new layer > at the bottom of the Retopo layer panel, click the 2nd to last icon on the right to MOVE ALL FACES TO CURRENT SELECTED LAYER.

Guest pnog
16 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

This is a bug that recently cropped up, related to Andrew adding the ability to REPLACE PAINT MESH with RETOPO MESH. I reported it previoulsy and hopefully it will be in the next build. It actually is creating a clone. It just no longer is creating a new layer and applying it to that layer. In the mean time, you can...with those faces (only the cloned faces will be highlighted after you hit the ENTER key) still highlighted, create a new layer > at the bottom of the Retopo layer panel, click the 2nd to last icon on the right to MOVE ALL FACES TO CURRENT SELECTED LAYER.

Thank you for tips.

I tried do it step by step, but, unfortunately, "MOVE ALL FACES TO CURRENT SELECTED LAYER" moved faces from source layer instead of copy.

Edited by pnog

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, pnog said:

Thank you for tips.

I tried do it step by step, but, unfortunately, "MOVE ALL FACES TO CURRENT SELECTED LAYER" moved faces from source layer instead of copy.

That's strange. On my end, if I (with faces selected) click CLONE > ENTER > Yes/No > Create new layer > Select new layer > Click MOVE ALL FACES TO CURRENT LAYER icon, it moves the copied faces.

Guest pnog
9 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

That's strange. On my end, if I (with faces selected) click CLONE > ENTER > Yes/No > Create new layer > Select new layer > Click MOVE ALL FACES TO CURRENT LAYER icon, it moves the copied faces.

I'm using Win7, 4.5.40(DX64)

This steps working ok only if source layer name started with "RetopoGroup". Otherwise faces moved to newly created layer, not copied (cloned).

That is all faces in source layer is removed.

Try rename source layer to "LOD0" and repeat steps.

Edited by pnog

• Reputable Contributor

It still works as described on my end. Not sure what is happening on your side. You can see where I tried to replicate the steps you mentioned. And it works. Granted, it should create a new layer and place the cloned faces in it. I already mentioned this problem with Andrew, along with a few other things, and hopefully he will have it fixed in the next build. I think he is a bit sidetracked at the moment, in the process of moving....and we can all relate to that.

1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

It still works as described on my end. Not sure what is happening on your side. You can see where I tried to replicate the steps you mentioned. And it works. Granted, it should create a new layer and place the cloned faces in it. I already mentioned this problem with Andrew, along with a few other things, and hopefully he will have it fixed in the next build. I think he is a bit sidetracked at the moment, in the process of moving....and we can all relate to that.

There is one more problem with clone or copy:
Actually the new retopo layer should be unique, but it is not. It will be still handled as it is in the source before.

Real individual retopo layers have individual colors. But if you copy some faces an move them to a new retopo layer, then it is not a unique retopo mesh and still connected to the source. I have this issue in v 4.5.40.