3DCoat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

With the latest beta. Zooming in render room creates ghosts when you use realtime renderer and have orthographic projection. Also I had one renderer crash while testing the latest 

beta but I wasen't able to repeat it yet. 

It would be nice to have basic color tone settings in render room. Stronger blacks and whites would really give some extra to your sculpts.

Use light contrast control.

I really love the new organic looking pbr shaders.  However, I am noticing that regular sculpting shaders are a little unclear.  Digman was mentioning it before and I have to agree.  The cavity and bulge settings can cause banding on the mesh that isn't very pleasing to look at visually.  I was so enamored with the abilty to define normal, roughness and metalness, that I didn't really investigate it too much.  

However afterwards in trying to really get a clear picture of my sculpt, I noticed that none of the shaders really did a good job of the that.  I got closer than some of the default shaders, but still.  The results weren't ideal.  

I think we need a few more parameters to be able to tweak on the shaders to really nail things down.  Perhaps the ablilty to switch between face based or vertex based cavity and bulge settings.  Also, I wonder if it would be as much of an issue on a quad based mesh.  Regardless, alternatives to face based cavity, in addition to the ability to describe the falloff of the effect, or the abilty to soften the effect with blur or something similar.  Even if it's more performance intensive we could have the option of changing it if it becomes an issue.  

All the being said, I love the changes, I think the work is not quite done yet though.  

Here is the default clay shader applied to a sculpt and also shader that I made to look more organic like creature skin.

post-3280-0-40970100-1458248391_thumb.pnpost-3280-0-13528700-1458248395_thumb.pnpost-3280-0-41883600-1458248398_thumb.pnpost-3280-0-26634600-1458248402_thumb.pn

Just popping in here to clear up a little confusion... the steam beta stuff, that isn't the same as these betas posted here? I'm trying to see if a symmetry retopo bug is still present in 4.5.31 (from this thread here: http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19037#entry132500) but when I download the "beta" version of 3dc via steam, it gives me a much older version of the software.

I'd rather not go the route of betas, and the wall of text in the first post is enough to scare me away, but all I want to do is some work!

Just popping in here to clear up a little confusion... the steam beta stuff, that isn't the same as these betas posted here? I'm trying to see if a symmetry retopo bug is still present in 4.5.31 (from this thread here: http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19037#entry132500) but when I download the "beta" version of 3dc via steam, it gives me a much older version of the software.

I'd rather not go the route of betas, and the wall of text in the first post is enough to scare me away, but all I want to do is some work!

Please use beta from this thread. Steam beta is outdated. You may use steam ey for this beta.

And what problem with retopo symmetry have you got? Please writ e me to support@3d-coat.com

Hey,

Just a quick heads-up regarding the ambient occlusion baking not working on high resolution meshes (vertex color baking).

Tested on latest beta.

Can someone confirm this by testing on a 40+ million triangles mesh in the paint room please.

Also is there a version where this works ? I' am currently working on a task which has been going on for the past month and it would be a bummer to switch packages or workflows at this stage.

I have tried beta 19,29,30 and 31.

Can we please get an official statement regarding the AO baker's limitations in terms of baking AO on to the vertex colors.

Thanks

Show/Hide Freeze mask is still broken. Function does not work in "Smooth Shade" viewport. Functionality does work in flat shade however. Can we get this working again in smooth shade, its been busted for awhile.

i'd love to see new shader options as well... support for SSS and Alpha test and coverage in the paintroom.

Edited by Boonta

Anyone noticed that the symmetry in the retopo room, even right after using the Apply Symmetry to Current Layer operation, is almost never 100%? Usually it oscillates around 96-99% even if the reference mesh is 100% symmetrical.

I'm sure that several versions ago I did not have this problem.

Can somebody confirm this?

Is there a way to clip mask with a group of layers?

As far as I know, neither masking with multiple paint layers, nor a group of paint layers that are inside a specific folder, is possible at the moment.

I must say that the latter would be very helpful. It is already possible to select existing folder as a mask layer, but unfortunately it makes all paint areas of masked layer disappear completely.

BTW, I think I found a bug. When you have a folder that contains paint layers, then if you open clip layer mask dropdown list of a layer that is on the root level, among other positions you will find a layer called "<end>". Not sure what it is, but using it as a mask removes all painted pixels from the layer.

http://3dcoat.com/mantis/view.php?id=2098

-----

Product Version list on Mantis never includes the newest 3D-Coat BETA version(s).

Edited by ajz3d

Retopo Room -> Mirror Snapping.

I always wondered - what those percentages mean exactly? They're percentages of a 3D-Coat unit, or perhaps of something else?

Maybe removing the % and using pure scene units (in respect to scene's scale settings from the Define Measurement Units and Edit Scene Scale) would be better? What do you think guys?

Edited by ajz3d

I find Free Extrude to be an unreliable tool. One time it works all right, next time it deselects your selection and throws you into Transform tool. And if it happens, then no extrusion can be performed on selection until the scene is reloaded. Happens to me almost every time I work with this tool. It MIGHT be related to Undo.

-----

(Sculpt Room) Importing objects via Import tool (with thickness) directly into surface layer ("Add" boolean op) can result in removal of this layer. Only imported objects will remain. Undo cannot restore the deleted layer. Scene reload is required. I can reproduce it every time with my scene.

Happens to voxel layers too.

-----

Click to Place in the primitives menu shrinks primitives to tiny dimensions.

Edited by ajz3d

4.5.32 [beta]

- Correct preview of cube primitive with symmetry

- Fixed problem of welding retopo verties with symmetry

- Drag&Dropped 3dcpack files will be installed automatically.

- Fixed mesh corruption after series of Reample+Undo+Sculpt

• Like 4

4.5.32 [beta]

- Correct preview of cube primitive with symmetry

- Fixed problem of welding retopo verties with symmetry

- Drag&Dropped 3dcpack files will be installed automatically.

- Fixed mesh corruption after series of Reample+Undo+Sculpt

Thanks Andrew and Raul. :good:

One question please.

I am going to get pretty busy for the next 4 to 6  weeks and will have a lot of sculpting and retopo to do.

When are we going to be able to use the new retopo tools? (quad paint etc etc)

Thank you.

One question please.

I am going to get pretty busy for the next 4 to 6  weeks and will have a lot of sculpting and retopo to do.

When are we going to be able to use the new retopo tools? (quad paint etc etc)

Thank you.

I wouldn't expect anytime soon. They are in the very early stages of development, as best I can tell, and seem to require quite a bit of research and problem-solving.

• Like 1

...and to be honest, It might be a better idea to keep Raul focused in the Sculpt room, while contracting the developer who created Quad Strips and improved Strokes tool in their Blender plugin. Just port it to 3D Coat, rather than having to build our own from scratch.

Maybe let Raul try to add an extensive list of Procedural Noises to the Noise tool (Bercon Maps are free and Open Source...so use those among others) and develop a system for "Sculpt Layers" (per object). That was requested years ago, and at this pace, it will be another 3+ yrs before anyone ever gets around to it.

• Like 1

Love the way you are thinking.

Can someone confirm the following please? v.4.5.31

I am not able to bake vertex painted data to a pixel paint layer. Only the shader itself will be baked, not the vertex colors.

Or is there a new way I don't know how to bake vertex data to a pixel paint layer?

Thank you

Is there a way to clip mask with a group of layers?

Basically you can not set a mask to a layer group.

HINT: But you can set all related layers to be masked by the same seperate mask layer in the layer blending window.

post-9171-0-71579500-1458559203_thumb.jp

I went from Beta 20 to Beta 31 and 32, when I run them all I get is this. What do I do now?  B20 still works if I go back to it. ( well ,it did last week ,I have not gone back yet on this attempt.) Grateful for any advice.

• Like 1

After a Move tool 'spike', the Symmetry plane incorporated it and wont go away with the Undo that eliminated the spike.

post-1430-0-98633400-1458593280_thumb.pn

With continued editing, it went back too normal. :huh:

Edited by Tony Nemo

attachicon.gifnogo.jpg

I went from Beta 20 to Beta 31 and 32, when I run them all I get is this. What do I do now? B20 still works if I go back to it. ( well ,it did last week ,I have not gone back yet on this attempt.) Grateful for any advice.

I'm guessing the latest betas don't work on Windows Vista. Maybe using newer DirectX. I have the same problem as you on my Vista machine.

Ta for the info Timmy, I will look into it.

The gl version do not run either ,do they use Direct x?

Edit I have Dx 11 on Vista 64 ultimate .

Edited by stusutcliffe

Edit I have Dx 11 on Vista 64 ultimate .

Just fyi you can't actually use DX11 on Vista. You can install newer versions of DirectX, but the OS will limit them to DX10 mode automatically.

Afaik though 3D-Coat uses with DirectX9 ?