3DCoat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

Will it be possible to toggle metalness painting with a ball icon that 3D-Coat is lacking? We have icons for depth, colour and glossiness, but not metalness.

BETA5.

Putting paint layers into folder makes their glossiness and metalness disappear. Fortunately, removing them from the folder makes those two channels reappear.

Can anyone confirm this?

Edited by ajz3d

Copy Channels doesn't support metalness.

Oh. :)

Edited by ajz3d

4.5 BETA6

- copy channels supports metalness

- correct texture UV editor view

- robot/preview sphere included in distributive

- Objectify was super slow. I fixed it in beta6. Extra functionnlaity in objectify - removing small flying noise, unifying small pieces, decomposing to child volumes, sorting by size.

- 3D-Coat now may import object space normal maps (with auto conversion to tangent space). It guarantees normalmaps compatibility.

- "Draw on plane" extended on Curves/Text/Snake clay

- Fixed seams problem in ppp - colored pixels near the seam in some cases.

- View seams in paint room - bit.ly/1shKfFR

May someone confirm that this is fixed (from first page) and no longer warnings required (at least 2,3 are fixed):

1) Keep backups of scenes, presets and materials. Better - do backup of folder MyDocs/3D-CoatV4

For example, rename it MyDocs/3D-CoatV4 to MyDocs/3D-CoatV4_OLD, run beta, work there. If you want to get back to 4.1.17D -

rename or copy MyDocs/3D-CoatV4_OLD to MyDocs/3D-CoatV4

4.5.BETA may upgrade materials (Stamps) to new format and 4.1.17 wil not recognize it.

2) Do NOT rename or delete PBR Material folders. You can potentially lose materials or have them be placed in random folders (most likely the will be lost). Bug is reported.

3) Don't move PBR Materials to another folder. They will be lost. Bug is reported.

• Like 3

Thanks a bunch for the new update and adding some more default materials... They help on figuring out how to make your own.

New default paint material on a table I modelled in Blender.

post-518-0-15469700-1421420036_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

May someone confirm that this is fixed (from first page) and no longer warnings required (at least 2,3 are fixed):

1) Keep backups of scenes, presets and materials. Better - do backup of folder MyDocs/3D-CoatV4

For example, rename it MyDocs/3D-CoatV4 to MyDocs/3D-CoatV4_OLD, run beta, work there. If you want to get back to 4.1.17D -

4.5.BETA may upgrade materials (Stamps) to new format and 4.1.17 wil not recognize it.

2) Do NOT rename or delete PBR Material folders. You can potentially lose materials or have them be placed in random folders (most likely the will be lost). Bug is reported.

3) Don't move PBR Materials to another folder. They will be lost. Bug is reported.

From my side, some test done and found 2,3 fixed

switch from one pbr materials folders to other is slow, looks as preview ball need to be refresh everytime -icon is not cached- ?

ty

4.5 BETA6

- copy channels supports metalness

- correct texture UV editor view

- robot/preview sphere included in distributive

- Objectify was super slow. I fixed it in beta6. Extra functionnlaity in objectify - removing small flying noise, unifying small pieces, decomposing to child volumes, sorting by size.

- 3D-Coat now may import object space normal maps (with auto conversion to tangent space). It guarantees normalmaps compatibility.

- "Draw on plane" extended on Curves/Text/Snake clay

- Fixed seams problem in ppp - colored pixels near the seam in some cases.

- View seams in paint room - bit.ly/1shKfFR

Does this "Fixed seams problem in ppp - colored pixels near the seam in some cases." fix the problem with seams where UV island from different UV tiles/sets meet?

That bug is horrible, since it means you can't layout a single mesh (e.g. a character) into multiple tiles without ending up with seams.

By the way , this problem was since the latest versions of 3D Coat v3. I do not remember what, but in one of the earlier versions v3 does not have that problem since I was comparing it when still only came 3Dc v4

I hope it'll be as easy to implement as the video.... 

It's exactly that easy. :) Have you tried it yet? You can download the build and give a spin right now.

Thank you Javis , just tested it and it's soooooo amazing !!! I'm very beginner and I had very good result in a few time and yes it's easy with this all "automatic" features. I love it!

Now I'm just waiting for the steam version and for a tutorial to "how to create our own BPR texture"  ;-)

Marc

Maybe a small thing but greatly appreciated here:

Andrew added depth enabled pbr shader. 

I was very pleased to have smooth shading from the get go in 3dcoat (cause in zbrush you need to subdivide to get free of faceting) but sometimes it's easier to sculpt with flatshading. With pbr depth shader you can do that.

So thanks :)

One small request: Is it possible to have realtime rotation of the env with lock disabled ? I like to have my models "locked" in the scene but would love to be able to rotate the environnement lighting around for previsualisation purpose. Right now I can unfortunately I need to release the mouse button to see the changes.

I know it's not the intended purpose of pbr but sculpting with a good setup and realistic lighting conditions break the fourth wall. It makes sculpting much more enjoyable, you don't feel like you're working on something completely artificial :)

When designing characters the new lighting system makes grasping the shapes much easier and you don't make as much mistake as you would because the light is closer to what you'd expect to see irl.

It's hard to describe but every sculpting software should have that by default, it's so much better.

Pardon me if this has already been asked but is there a way to still use the old materials method? This PBR is great but I feel like the old way was better for some things like painting decals onto a racecar or using photos to paint skin onto a character. I guess it's possible to load those images into a PBR material but it seems like overkill and the sphere previews make it harder to tell which is which.

Maybe a small thing but greatly appreciated here:

Andrew added depth enabled pbr shader. 

I was very pleased to have smooth shading from the get go in 3dcoat (cause in zbrush you need to subdivide to get free of faceting) but sometimes it's easier to sculpt with flatshading. With pbr depth shader you can do that.

So thanks :)

One small request: Is it possible to have realtime rotation of the env with lock disabled ? I like to have my models "locked" in the scene but would love to be able to rotate the environnement lighting around for previsualisation purpose. Right now I can unfortunately I need to release the mouse button to see the changes.

I know it's not the intended purpose of pbr but sculpting with a good setup and realistic lighting conditions break the fourth wall. It makes sculpting much more enjoyable, you don't feel like you're working on something completely artificial :)

When designing characters the new lighting system makes grasping the shapes much easier and you don't make as much mistake as you would because the light is closer to what you'd expect to see irl.

It's hard to describe but every sculpting software should have that by default, it's so much better.

Thanks!

Ok, done the refresh in Lock panorama mode.

• Like 1