3DCoat Forums

Hey Dev Team!

I checked the latest Windows build today at work and noticed that the new shaders finally match the Industry Standards (Unity, in out case). A very nice and welcome addition!

Is there any chance we Linux users get a new BETA build, too? It is kinda pointless to author 3D content when the authoring tool doesn't deliver correct results. :dash2:

"I have checked 3D-Coat 4.5.35 (64-bit and 32-bit) under clean install of Windows Vista 64-bit and 32-bit. Both install and work."

Thanks for that Sergil, good to know.

4.5.36 [beta]

- Export constructor polished. Included a lot of presets for export for main engines and renders.

- Incremental render turned off for "Connform retopo mesh" mode for corret view.

- Minimal radius for spike/snake/muscle removed.

- CUDA and no-CUDA version unified, now all choice performed automatically.

• Like 4

Thank you very much for this great upgrade Andrew.

Unity 5 and Unreal export settings works like a charm.

PBR Disney as well.

• Like 1

Minimal radius for spike/snake/muscle

Surface mode - Symmetry ON

- Assign for spike/snake/muscle brush radius = 0

- Sculpt

- Crash

post-10142-0-86428100-1461236433_thumb.j

-------------------------------

Export option:

A preset for Blender -BI- will be very welcome

Ty !

Maybe it crashed when it couldn't figure out why anybody would want to use a brush with zero radius. Idiot proof would probably have some minimum like .01.

(Quiero decir que mi gran amigo, Carlos, no es una idiota!)

• Like 1

Maybe the issue is related to this reference by AbnRanger in another thread: "I noticed a small one...don't know that I'd call it a bug, though, just a limitation that shouldn't be there...the other day, and promptly let Andrew know about it. It was the muscles tool. It had some kind of arbitrary limit, no matter how small the radius was. It used to be an exceptional tool for sculpting hair, but not so much with the arbitrary limit. All contributors and regular users do constantly report bugs we run into and Andrew has been pretty responsive."  Was the "arbitrary limit" eliminated?

v4.5.36 new auto chose non cuda version and voxel primitives no longer work. 2 versions ago there was issue with "sphere". Now all voxels wont create.

Acting like it's cuda version on my Nvidia Quadro FX5600. Had to stop using cuda awhile back.

Edited by BurrMan

When was the Import->Replace Geometry feature introduced? Never mind. It just saved my bacon. I imported my object for PPP without making sure that No Center Snap is set to true, and I only realized that the object is off the main axis after I was ~75% into texturing and about to use radial symmetry for painting an element that was originally centred exactly on Z axis. I almost panicked when it hit me that it wasn't and it was way below the XZ plane instead. But then, halfway of writing a help post here on the forum, I thought: "Wait a minute, in Substance Painter it's possible to replace the geo. Maybe it is here too?". Imagine the relief on my face when I saw this very option. :)

@Andrew, I have a question regarding this Replace Geometry function. And I swear I will bug you via e-mail if you won't reply here. :D Is the process of replacing a geometry, that was initially imported for PPP with No Center Snap set to false, with the very same file, but with this option set to true, absolutely and completely LOSSLESS? It appears to be, but I need to be 100% sure. The answer is very important to me.

P.S. IMO No Center Snap should be set to true by default. If it's disabled, it can break (or at least - complicate) one's workflow without him even knowing until the last moment.

Edited by ajz3d

Hi Andrew, remember the pool ?

Ok, seems symmerty won.

I will do it first, then - layers masks.

With the new export constructor option, will be very nice if you could take time to finish the development.

To work with layer masks let blend smart materials using different masks packed into an RGB map -by uvset-

Ty !

• Like 2

Yeap..... agree with Carlos , plus the "true" smart materials..... we talked about looooong time ago.

Hi there!

4.5.36 [beta] (DX64) Win 10 / NVIDIA 960 + Latest driver

long time (months?) since I've tried new betas. Just installed it and tried different materials. Lighting doesn't seem to be adjustable, then again I haven't touched these new materials, but none of there seem to react to light direction. I do LMB + drag over upper right corner "light direction" icon, but only env map seems to rotate.

Are all of there shaders matcap style, or have I missed something, or even worse - forgotten something...

Edited by blobby

Hi Blobby,

Most of the shaders are now physically based, not matcap, to match up with what's in the Paintroom.  So they are lit by HDRI backgrounds.  And right now, you can only rotate the light along a vertical axis (basically rotating the HDRI image).    

There are also some picmat shaders which aren't lit by the HDRI bg.

You can try double clicking on the first icon in the top right, the one that adjusts the light intensity to get more or less contrast.

Edited by gbball

@gbball -

Hi, and thank you for your reply - So if it's not possible to adjust lighting (ruins sculpting) do I have revert to pre-PBR version or is it possible to load / create somehow material that reacts to light direction like it should. Now it's more like overhead lighting for me, not ideal / usable at all for sculpting.

And I have to question, why would PBR (that is only surface shading model) disable use of directional lighting?

Thank!

Well, it doesn't really disable it, there is just no way to create individual lights in the Sculpt room currently.  The HDRI's just provide a more realistic real world lighting scenario.  So if you could find an HDRI image that represents a simple 3 light setup with a key, fill and backlight, that might give you better results.  A little more control over the light would be nice.  But choosing the correct HDRI image might do the trick for you as well.

That being said, it would be nice to have more control over the lights in the sculpt room.  Marmoset and to a lesser degree sketchfab do a really good job of this...where you can optionally use the HDRI and you can also use different kinds of lights, like directional, spots, points, etc.  I like the way Marmoset allows you to be able to click a spot on the HDRI and have that become a tweakable light source.

Anyways, I hope that helps to answer your question.

Is it better to report bugs here or to right an e-mail to @support ?

I have this message when I add a HDRi to 3DC.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2mmac1j.png

There's no "don't show again" box, so I guess this is a bug.

Also, I can"t delete the 6 firsts alphas. If I create a new folders, these are here by default anyway and I can't delete them.

(And Thank you Sergyi for the new mac&linus builds :))

it is better right an e-mail to @support 

Heya, so I have been out of the loop for awhile. Noticed the new pbr shaders... they are very nice addition.

That said, is there any information on what exactly is being worked (features/major improvements) on at the moment or are we just seeing mostly bug fixes at this point?

Anyone experience a problem with disappearing highres geometry? Happened 2 times last week. I sculpted an object in ZBrush, imported the highres geometry into 3D Coat. Created a retopology object in ZBrush, imported that into the retopo room in 3D Coat and baked the maps, textured the object in paint room. Everything worked fine.

Then I closed the file, and re-opened it a while later. The textured model in paint room was still there, but there wasn't a highres object in sculpt room anymore. The layers (names) were still there in the voxel tree, but there was absolutely nothing on those layers. Also, the file size was significantly smaller than a (almost identical) earlier iteration of that project, meaning the data was actually missing.

This happened a second time with a different object (also sculpted in ZBrush and then imported into 3D Coat).

Will have to test if I can reproduce it on monday.

Anyone experience a problem with disappearing highres geometry? Happened 2 times last week. I sculpted an object in ZBrush, imported the highres geometry into 3D Coat. Created a retopology object in ZBrush, imported that into the retopo room in 3D Coat and baked the maps, textured the object in paint room. Everything worked fine.

Then I closed the file, and re-opened it a while later. The textured model in paint room was still there, but there wasn't a highres object in sculpt room anymore. The layers (names) were still there in the voxel tree, but there was absolutely nothing on those layers. Also, the file size was significantly smaller than a (almost identical) earlier iteration of that project, meaning the data was actually missing.

This happened a second time with a different object (also sculpted in ZBrush and then imported into 3D Coat).

Will have to test if I can reproduce it on monday.

Wilson, what 3D-Coat version are you currently using? There was a bug, similar to what you are describing, in 4.5.25A and earlier versions (http://3dcoat.com/mantis/view.php?id=2070). It was fixed it in 4.5.26.

One bug I do know exists only in build 4.5.36 is a pretty big one. When you export your model, 3D Coat doesn't export any maps....just the mesh. It was brought to Andrew's attention yesterday, so hopefully there will be a quick fix for it. Was a result of the export options dialog additions, somehow.