3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Advanced Member

Antibump quite fast for me.  But I can confirm color picker crash at 3c coat beta 12a.

Anyway I'm not sure for how long, but recend 3d coat builds seems very slow in pre-pixel painting. I always thought blender painting was slow, so I made a test for both 3dc and blender:

- simple quad with 2k texture. 

I was painting with brush size of 1k, and to my surprise blender was much more fluid.  Painting in 3d lags a lot even ok small 2k texture.

Please Andrew investigate this, and let us know if you are planning to fix this to 4.5 release.

After bit more testing, it seems 3dc 4.1 had similar painting seed to 3dc 4.5 so maybe it is just blender that got faster, and not 3dc got slower... 

Edited by JoseConseco

• Advanced Member

I think I've got a bug, I'm trying to paint with the 'More on concave' tool in the Paint room, but unfortunately it will only let me paint one of my models like so (far left).

post-38412-0-71624000-1424811687_thumb.j

Reason I think it's a bug is that if I switch to 'Always', I can paint the other two models. I've tried isolating the model so it is the only layer visible, but still no luck... should I file a bug report?

• Advanced Member

I think that Sync Layers w/Ext. Editor and Edit All Layers in Ext. Editor are broken at the moment in the latest 4.5 Beta12A

Could anyone confirm this?

• Load model with multiple Surface Materials and UV-Sets & Mesh parts
  • attempt a sync with Photoshop or external editor.
  • make change in Editor and save Layers.PSD
  • attempt a second sync with a different UV-Set/Material
  • Make change in Editor and save
  • Notice in 3DCoat the wrong Material is altered.

• Advanced Member

Any way to switch off PBR lighting in the paint room, I can rotate the env map on the horizontal plane and its all very lovely,but sometimes I want to rotate the light underneath and any direction on my model like the way you used to be able to do.

Have I missed a button somewhere?

Edit: I have found locking the enviro map makes the underneath of my model more view able....wish I could just shine my light at it though.

Edited by stusutcliffe

Any ideas whether Linux version is going to happen? I'd love to try the new features at home.

Anyways tested the latest beta in the workshop - I don't know whether something has been changed to the sculpt tools but they seem to work so much better, tend for more fluid workflows. Also the viewport is nicer, less tweaks needed to avoid overblown lighting (overexposure) adn seems snappier. Great job!

Also from my perspective improvents to the undercut tool are killer - especially considering we'll be working on some medals in the workshop. For my work it is such a time saver!

And the PBR really makes me want to give texturing a try :). Painted so many models in real life - I think I'll enjoy doing that on the screen.

• Advanced Member

Andrew    (administrator)

2015-02-26 02:59

it works correctly in beta12

Does not work for me (4.5 Beta 12A). Might be user error, but don't know what could be going on. 

When trying to fill with UV mapping activated it looks good in the preview window, but layer is not actually filled correctly. Depending on the material it is either not filled at all (empty layer still empty after filling), or filled incorrectly (not looking the same as the preview).

All other mapping methods with the same material work flawlessly.

Edited by wilson66

• Advanced Member

I've been playing around with PBR in this latest beta.  One thing occurred to me;  it would be nice to be able to export all textures for your given workflow.  Currently there is only an option to export objects AND textures.

• Advanced Member

More in Cavity & More in Convex don't seem to use any 'Depth' that you paint into layers.  It only takes model and Normalmap[ext] into account when calculating these modes.

I think the same actually applies to Less on Concave, Less on Convex, More on Flat & More on Curved.

This bug essentially breaks my workflow for using these modes.

• Contributor

Has anyone experienced PBR Material Preview showing preview that is completely different from the actual result?

attachicon.gifpbr_material_preview_problem.jpg

Looks like it's not the PBR Material Preview's fault. It seems to show the desired result. But if I start brushing with More on Flat or More on Curved (or use them somewhere inside a PBR material), 3D-Coat completely ignores them. Painting with More on Flat is like painting with Always condition and painting with More on Curved doesn't produce any results.

Ghib, yeah I don't have a normal map.

Less on Concave, Less on Convex - both work OK. Maybe you meant More on Bump / Dent? They are the ones that require some form of height/normal information and in their case nothing shows up in the preview. This leads me to believe that if 3DC is capable of showing a preview of More on Flat/Curved, then it is capable of calculating them without any normal/displacement (probably based off a curvature map), which means that those two conditions are currently broken.

sorry im asking this, the pic is cropped at right...

metalness value is at 100% right ?

Metalness of the currently selected tool is set to 0%. Metalness of underlying layers is 100%. But what does metalness have to do with conditions?

---

100% reproducible. Take the default robot model for PPP, select More on Flat or More on Curved and start painting. You don't even need to select a PBR material.

Edited by ajz3d

• Advanced Member

I could be wrong but More/Less in Cavity used to work on any normal map you brought in AS WELL as any Depth you have painted on any of the layers.   Has this been changed recently?

But what does metalness have to do with conditions?

Nothing, left image preview have metalness, right image painted dont.

Just asking trying to follow your workflow

//edit

is this metalness ? post-10142-0-55384100-1425395565_thumb.j

• Contributor

I could be wrong but More/Less in Cavity used to work on any normal map you brought in AS WELL as any Depth you have painted on any of the layers.   Has this been changed recently?

If More on Bumped and More on Dents is just renamed More/Less in Cavity, then I think little changed (if anything), because they do work with normals or height, be it painted, baked or imported. :good:

But what does metalness have to do with conditions?

Nothing, left image preview have metalness, right image painted dont.

Just asking trying to follow your workflow

But... both sides have the same metalness levels (0%). :) Anyway, talking about metalness reminded me of a minor bug with metalness in PBR preview that I need to report.

• Contributor

I opened 3D-Coat just a couple of minutes ago only to realize that I lost all content from the metals PBR materials folder. It was replaced by content from paints folder. :blink:

Contents of metal folder is nowhere to be found in 3DC.

post-12523-0-35418300-1425425959_thumb.j

I'm unsure of what can I do to bring those materials back... I had some custom made stuff there.

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

you added a new folder or renamed an old one ?

None of the two. :(

Well, I added a folder (decals), but it was some time ago, not immediately before I lost all of the metal materials.

---

I just looked up the %USERPROFILE%/Documents/3D-CoatV4/patterns/metals directory.

If 3DC stores materials in pbrm files, then I believe I can kiss my custom materials goodbye, because the metals directory contains the same .pbrm files as paints dir. And I only have a settings backup that is two-weeks old. :(

post-12523-0-58414100-1425430406_thumb.p

---

I ended up restoring the folder from the backup. Managed to get back two of my materials. Better two than none, I guess. Not that I had hundreds of them. :)

Do a backup of your 3DC's settings directory on a regular basis, guys. Especially when Beta testing.

Edited by ajz3d

• Reputable Contributor

I opened 3D-Coat just a couple of minutes ago only to realize that I lost all content from the metals PBR materials folder. It was replaced by content from paints folder. :blink:

Contents of metal folder is nowhere to be found in 3DC.

attachicon.giflost_metal_materials.jpg

I'm unsure of what can I do to bring those materials back... I had some custom made stuff there.

I had this happen one time as well. I do not know what causes it at this time. The only thing I did was renamed a folder that I had created from Legacy to Stamps. The next time I opened 3DC, the same thing happen to me. with metals being replaced by the paints folder. I am not saying this was the cause, maybe it could be in renaming user created folders but I really have no idea... Latest beta version 12A.

Edited by digman

It should mask out that materials layers entirely. But there was a bug a few builds ago that had the channel names criss-crossed with the actual functions. Maybe that is happening again?

just a quick question - how do you make material bump visible? I can see it on the small preview window but not in the viewport.

Finally had a time to boot windows and play with 3D Coat a tad - pbr and viewport improvements are so nice I finally got out of voxel room and tried some painting :) .