3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Advanced Member

Hey, Andrew.  Great work on the Render Room!  I'm happy to see it getting some love. It's probably one of the lowest priorities I see for the program, but it is a significant jump from where it was.  It would be helpful to have a toggle that allows for showing of the sculpt vs the painted and/or retopo'd mesh in the render room.  You can do this, but it seems to require hiding all of the layers to show just the sculpt.

I did notice slower load times, as well.  Having said that, it wasn't horrible...but I did just upgrade to an SSD.  I did notice that rotating the scene around is more laggy than normal.  It's not as smooth.

Edited by alvordr

• Advanced Member

Andrew, could it be the size of the panoramas?  Those are likely big files being loaded into memory.  If they're not loading on-demand, rather than pre-loaded, that might cause the slowdowns.

I have to admit, I've been feeling a lot less apt to bother 3D modeling as much for a while now, but the lighting and rendering is making me more excited to get back to it.  It's odd, because I can already do this in other software, but it's nice to see the direction this might take 3DC.

Edited by alvordr

• Advanced Member

Rendering a shot from the render room seems to cause a double-image result...two copies of the image overlaid and off-set.  It's also not storing Alpha channel.  I'm also finding that sometimes it doesn't let me rotate the model with the mouse in real-time render, unless I grab onto the rotate icon at the top right.  These seem like easy things to catch before throwing out to the community.

zeSm4c2.png

Edited by alvordr

If you have any file that loads long - please drop it to me. It will help a lot.

I've sent you an email with a link to one of the problem files.

Wow. The size of the beta is now at over 1/2 Gb.  That's a big jump from before.

It's nearly all from the image textures included for the new PBR materials.

Mac/linux porting code on higher version of GL finished.

The only rest thing - correcting all shaders. This is small in comparison to all big job.

Generally all that problems are because of textureLod instruction in shaders and how Apple treats programmers job...

Great! can't wait to finally give it a go - Thanks for the info Andrew!

• Advanced Member

I've sent you an email with a link to one of the problem files.

It's nearly all from the image textures included for the new PBR materials.

Yeah, I started to realize that when I thought about how the panoramas were likely being implemented and possibly other things.

Edited by alvordr

• Advanced Member

Andrew, 13A does appear to load the files faster than before.  I can also now move, rotate, pan the object in real-time lighting with the mouse.  Thanks!

I did notice that the ghosting affect produced from Renders was as a result of having Store Alpha Channel toggled to 'ON.'  It does not store the alpha channel and doesn't go full-screen view, as it does when it's 'OFF.'

Edited by alvordr

• Reputable Contributor

The Beta13A build seems snapper changing rooms, previewing and applying materials as well. The render room more freely moves the model it appears. There was a slight pause in Beta12A when starting to rotate a model in the render room... :D

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Beta13A -----I noticed facet appearances on the models in the render room. The one shown is the default creature. This happens on models baked from the retopo room as well. The more a model is subdivide the less noticeable but still there...

In the picture on the left --- Render Room the creature has no curvature map. It still happens with a curvature map.

In the picture on the Right --- Render Room, the creature has a curvature map and the default Red Plastic.

No AO in the paintroom, none needed for the red plastic.

Creature was imported for PPP using the New Menu at Startup. Subdivded to 1432 polygons in the import menu.

No extra Lights added just the default Realtime Render and RenderLightFromPanorama selected. All other settings at default as well.

It appears that it might be related to how the Render Room's AO (not talking about the paint room AO) is being calculated. This is only a guess on my part.

Now I am running Windows DX beta 13A under Linux / Wine so posting here to see if regular windows users see the same thing.

New Clean install of Windows Beta13A.

post-518-0-49043200-1425862116_thumb.png

Edited by digman

4.5.BETA13A

- fixed long loading of some 3b files

- masks are used in materials correctly

Hey Andrew! Both bugs are fixed, thank you. :)

I'm encountering a new bug in 4.5.13A. I have a scene file where my paint objects are not showing up in the 3D viewport, in the Paint Room, but they do show up in the Render Room.

Do you have View->Show voxels in paint room turned on?

I do. Just toggled it off, and now the paint objects show again. The change snuck up on me. Thanks for the heads up.

• Advanced Member

Have just installed 13A and having the same problem as the 4.5 BETA12.

Can anyone confirm whether this is likely to be a bug or I'm not doing something correctly?

- In the paint room the 'more on concave' function is working on some objects, but not others, screenshot attached

post-38412-0-19422100-1425909831_thumb.p

If likely bug I'll upload my file to Andrew

----------------------------------------------

Also getting ghosting in render room (Alpha channel is off), & very slow to navigate viewport. If I draw the cursor over the models I get a weird effect too. Video attached. All the same file.

https://vimeo.com/121673056

Thanks

T

PS +1 for some SSS in the render room. I would never leave 3DC in this case :D

Edited by arumiat

• Reputable Contributor

Object in paint room disappears when using the brush tool in stamp/ stamp drag mode, making it hard to use (4.5 Beta13A).

Confirmed.... Same problem here for objects baked from the retopo room. Show voxels in paint room is turned off...

The bug does not happen if you import a model for PPP mode... no voxel model in the sculpt room.