3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

In Paint Room, I find the object will disappear when in orthographic viewing mode, toggle to perspective view mode then the object shows up again.

This seems to be a workaround, but, the object disappearing may considered as a bug also.

I've tried a number of things, no luck reproducing this one. Could you elaborate a little more? Which build are you using? OS? Video card? Paint Objects, Sculpt Objects or both?

• Reputable Contributor

Sorry for the ambiguous post previously, the issue I've been encountering is with per pixel Paint Objects which baked from Retopo Room only while Sculpt Objects show up fine in paint room.

To reproduce the issue at my side:

1. Bake any Surface Object in per pixel mode.

2. Hide all Surface Objects then go straight to the paint room.

3. Toggle viewing mode to orthographic and the Paint Objects will be disappeared.

4. To get all Paint Objects back to showg up, the viewing mode need to be switched to perspective viewing mode. 

I'm on Windows 7, 4.5 BETA13A.

I could reproduce your steps if I hide the surface mode object in the sculpt room but left "Show Voxels in Paint Room" (View Menu) selected after baking. Deselecting Show Voxels in Paint Room fixes the problem on my end... 4.5 Beta 13A

This might not be a bug but just how 3DC works. If you hide the model in the surface mode but not deselected the above, the viewport in the paint room does not work correctly.

The normal workflow is to deselect Show voxels in the paintroom after baking or before baking. This leaves the surface object not hidden in the sculpt room but only hidden in the Paintroom. The reason the surface mode object appears in the paintroom is for vertex painting (poly painting) without the need of a uv set...

You may of course still file a bug report and if possible Andrew could make it so it will work both ways...

EDIT: I tested 4.1.17D The above problem does not happen so it must have something to do with the new PBR style of rendering in the Paint Room. A possible bug as there is another case of disappearing mesh that Wilson66 posted about and I confirmed also.

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Toggle viewing mode to orthographic

will you please press shift+a ?

attachicon.gifframe.jpg

Beta13A is now back to the old naming convention which is "Show Voxels in Paint Room" Whether this is intentional or not I do not know.

@ Carlosan, I made sure my surface mode object was centered in world space. The object is visible in ortho mode.

Below is from my testing.

Make sure show voxels in paint room is selected before baking. It as you know is selected by default but good to check.

Bake a surface mode model for PPP from the retopo room.

Next go to the Sculpt Room and hide the surface mode model using using the voxlayer tab "eye" icon.

Now Go back to the paintroom Your baked mesh has disappeared.

DeSelect Show Voxels in Paint Room and your baked mesh reappears.

This was not the case for 4.1.17D which leads me to think it is a bug.

Picture shows version 13A with the Show Voxels in Paint Room back again... I did a complete clean install of Beta13A.

post-518-0-15167400-1425968311_thumb.png

Edited by digman

Beta13A is now back to the old naming convention which is "Show Voxels in Paint Room" Whether this is intentional or not I do not know.

@ Carlosan, I made sure my surface mode object was centered in world space. The object is visible in ortho mode.

Below is from my testing.

Make sure show voxels in paint room is selected before baking. It as you know is selected by default but good to check.

Bake a surface mode model for PPP from the retopo room.

Next go to the Sculpt Room and hide the surface mode model using using the voxlayer tab "eye" icon.

Now Go back to the paintroom Your baked mesh has disappeared.

DeSelect Show Voxels in Paint Room and your baked mesh reappears.

This was not the case for 4.1.17D which leads me to think it is a bug.

Picture shows version 13A with the Show Voxels in Paint Room back again... I did a complete clean install of Beta13A.

There is something wrong with the distro version of the UI, looks like Andrew isn't using the latest one I sent to him. I'll seems it to him again and let him know about the issue.

I checked out the latest build without my edits and found some other ones that are older/out of date as well, so thanks foe the heads up!

Sorry for the ambiguous post previously, the issue I've been encountering is with per pixel Paint Objects which baked from Retopo Room only while Sculpt Objects show up fine in paint room.

To reproduce the issue at my side:

1. Bake any Surface Object in per pixel mode.

2. Hide all Surface Objects then go straight to the paint room.

3. Toggle viewing mode to orthographic and the Paint Objects will be disappeared.

4. To get all Paint Objects back to showg up, the viewing mode need to be switched to perspective viewing mode.

I'm on Windows 7, 4.5 BETA13A.

It's no problem at all, thanks for elaborating. It'll help narrow down reproduction. I'll give it a go. [emoji4]

• Advanced Member

In sculpt room, create a new voxel object. Zoom in close to the object, and use the Move tool. It causes the object and grid to 'flicker'.

No flickering is happening when the viewport camera is at a certain distance from the object, also more flickering is happening in perspective mode (orthographic mode only flickers on first click, while in perspective mode the viewport continues to flicker while holding down the mouse/ pen button).

Viewport seems to flicker more the smaller the brush radius is.

Edited by wilson66

• Reputable Contributor

Following Gilbertman & Digman steps

cant replicate

sorry

4.5 13A - CUDA - DX64 - Win7

That is interesting. This is a reproducible bug each and everytime I test. The paint room baked mesh disappears and then reappears according to the steps posted.

Edited by digman

In sculpt room, create a new voxel object. Zoom in close to the object, and use the Move tool. It causes the object and grid to 'flicker'.

No flickering is happening when the viewport camera is at a certain distance from the object, also more flickering is happening in perspective mode (orthographic mode only flickers on first click, while in perspective mode the viewport continues to flicker while holding down the mouse/ pen button).

I can reproduce it, and it does seem to happen with smaller brush sizes more often than larger. But it can also happen with larger ones, just not as often.

• Reputable Contributor

I think something is going buggy with the 3D viewport as we now have reports on, flicking in sculpt room, render room, disappearing mesh using a spline tool and disappearing baked mesh when show voxels is selected or changing  from perspective to ortho mode. That is at least worth a good look see from Andrew.

Edited by digman

GTX 650

cuda DX64

mesh YES disappear at orthographic mode IF surface model at sculpt room is hide AND show voxels in paint room is ON

BUT appear IF sculpt room > show poly object in sculpt room is ON

Heya :)

Since this is the first time iam posting i would like to take a second and express how much i love this software and how incredible its development speed/quality/interaction is. Andrew and his guys seem to be really pushing it.

On a more thread related note i did come across an error in the recent 4.5 beta builds but iam not quite sure if it is me doing something wrong or the software.

For me the Texture Offset Tool seems to be not working correctly.

Steps to reproduce:

1.) File -> Import -> Image Plane (choose nothing or color/normal maps, settings seem not to matter, also there seems to be some strange artifacting going on).

2.) In Paint Room: Modify Image or leave as is.

3.) Textures -> Offset Tool (again settings seem not to matter)

At which point the texture plane turns invisible.

Can anyone confirm this issue? I had it in all 4.5 builds i tried so far.

• Advanced Member

painting freeze masks was visible in 13A.... Can you make "Freeze Degree" pressure sensitive though please. this is a must have to paint smooth mask transitions

Edited by Boonta

• Advanced Member

Mine works fine.

GTX 650

cuda DX64

mesh YES disappear at orthographic mode IF surface model at sculpt room is hide AND show voxels in paint room is ON

BUT appear IF sculpt room > show poly object in sculpt room is ON

Hopefully this will be fixed soon. I had a shock when opened my scene in the new version... First I thought my mesh was gone.

I was forced to search the forums to see where to set the mesh visible.

For me it is a bug currently.

• Advanced Member

Nice! 3D Coat crashed, and now I can't open my project anymore because it crashes again when I try to open it. 

Whats more, I can't open ANY of the file versions of that project I have saved, about 10 different ones! Please tell me that this is not true...

• Reputable Contributor

Please do not use the latest betas in production. They are not production ready. Like Carlos mentioned, this is beta. Use the last stable build (4.1) from here:

http://3d-coat.com/download/

Danger Will Robinson Danger... Beta---Beta---Beta---

Even more true with the PBR beta as there are major changes from the last official version...

I do regular complete clean installs when testing the PBR beta... At this time I do not care about keeping settings and I am not making any PBR materials that I mind losing till PBR 4.5 is officially released.

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

I think the development team for PBR beta 4.5 would be already working on adding more alpha texture selections for a 3DC to Unity 5 workflow. It might have been stated in the Beta Thread but I do not remember seeing it. I do use not use at this time Unity 5 but am looking at using it sometime in the future.

Unity 5 uses an Alpha type workflow for the Glossiness or Roughness values. Unity 5 terms it Smoothness

Unity 5 has what they call a specular or metallic workflow.

In the Specular workflow, the glossiness or roughness is stored in the alpha channel of the specular map.

In the Metallic workflow, the glossiness or roughness is stored in the alpha channel of the metallic map.

Currently in 3DC the glossiness(gloss) can only be stored in the alpha channel of the normal map.

Here is a picture from Unity 5 blog, posted FEB 18, 2015 and the link.

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/02/18/working-with-physically-based-shading-a-practical-approach/

The article describes the workflow at least the Specular one.  Pictures I show in this post are further down the page in the article.

The above shows the need for the ability to put gloss(glossiness map) in the Alpha channel of a specluar map and or a metallic map in the export dialog box under the file menu. Also added under the Textures menu in the paint room.

This a little confusing because normally you do not need a spec map with PBR, you can use one of course for certain uses. Unity 5 appears to want a specular map for the Specular Workflow but the glossiness / roughness is put in the alpha channel of the spec map.

Posting this here also as the article for me cleared up how Unity 5 uses PBR and how you setup for it...

post-518-0-30828000-1426212964_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 2