3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Reputable Contributor

The below is from my other post.

"This a little confusing because normally you do not need a spec map with PBR, you can use one of course for certain uses. Unity 5 appears to want a specular map for the Specular Workflow but the glossiness / roughness is put in the alpha channel of the spec map."

I reread the article and understand now that the specular workflow is where you manually give the color of reflections...

From the article...

They both define the color of the reflections leaving the surface. In the Specular workflow, color is specified directly, whilst in the Metallic workflow, the color is derived from a combination of the diffuse color and the metallic value set in the Standard Shader controls.

I am posting this since I can not edit my earlier post...

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Sending the file to support did not work ("Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table", whatever that means).

If you want to check the file, download it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53072176/public_files/object.zip

If anyone is able to open it (you can hope, right?) I'd be very, very thankful if you could export it as OBJ and post a link to it here.

• Reputable Contributor

Sending the file to support did not work ("Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table", whatever that means).

If you want to check the file, download it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53072176/public_files/object.zip

If anyone is able to open it (you can hope, right?) I'd be very, very thankful if you could export it as OBJ and post a link to it here.

The 3DC file opened with no problems at all... I sent you a link through a pm with the download link for the obj file I exported...

Your 3DC file I opened in Beta13A...

Edited by digman

Hi, I also could open the 3b file without any problems. Very nice fishy :). If you wish, I can upload the obj file and a newly saved 3b file for you. I also use Beta 13A.

Btw. How did you made the scale? Great one :)!

• Advanced Member

The 3DC file opened with no problems at all... I sent you a link through a pm with the download link for the obj file I exported...

Your 3DC file I opened in Beta13A...

Thanks a lot digman, you saved my day. :)

Thats certainly very strange though, there seems to be something wrong with my 3D Coat install or my system then (running a 3D Coat Beta under Windows 10 Technical Preview might not have been my best idea ever). Uninstalled and re-installed 3D Coat several times and even tried to open the file in different beta versions, without success.

Btw. How did you made the scale? Great one  :)!

Got an OBJ file from digman already, but thanks a lot for the offer.

I used an alpha stencil for the scales. Far from perfect though, the fish is still very much work in progress.

Edited by wilson66
  • Like 1

Nice! 3D Coat crashed, and now I can't open my project anymore because it crashes again when I try to open it. 

Whats more, I can't open ANY of the file versions of that project I have saved, about 10 different ones! Please tell me that this is not true...

In 95% of such cases deleting options*.xml files in MyDocs/3D-CoatV4/ will help.

Probably some files in MyDocs/3D-Coat/ was corrupted due to (for example) hard reboot.

• Reputable Contributor

Ok, got some egg on my face.... :blink:

You can export the glossiness in the Specular Color map's alpha channel in 3DC... from the textures menu or the export menu....

I even have my tool tips running but just did not hover over the specular color export function long enough to show the tool tip and I know better...

Darn I hate when I do that because lots of users read this thread...

Beta13A

Edited by digman

Does anyone know whether its currently possible to for 3d coat's PBR painting to work with externally imported AO and curvature maps?  I try importing them, and certainly they do import,..but the pbr materials dont seem to adhere to the AO or curvature (painting is not varying based off of the greyscale changes in either map).  I end up having to bake AO over the entire object, which means if there is say a head band going over a character's head, there will be everytime a dark mark under the headband, and there doesn't seem to be a way to bake AO on individual objects..Also it does take a long time.  Even after I have baked AO maps in xnormal (for rendering in marmoset, and other uses) I'm forced to rebake in 3d coat if I want to paint properly, and if I import a new object, I need to rebake all over again...And the same can be said for the curvature map...Is anyone else getting this problem, or is there an option or step I am missing?  I know the beta isn't finished, but I wanted to inquire about this in case there is a solution available.

thanks,

josh

Does anyone know whether its currently possible to for 3d coat's PBR painting to work with externally imported AO and curvature maps?

thanks,

josh

Texture > import > external AO

Texture > import > external curvature

Mine works fine with any PBR material... may be im losing something about your request.

How much work would it be to just make a new paint room with PBR only workflow ?

How to save out my custom pbr materials ?

Post and thread related moved

Hi

All question related to 3DC workflow/feature request, but not to 4.5 current development / bug report have been moved to subforums:

New Users

3DCoat

&

Feature request

New Releases and Betas

ty

• Contributor

Andrew,Im experiencing some flickering of screen while scupting (13A,DX,GTX660) Nothing crazy ,but its very noticeable.

Ortho on/off,cuda on/off or incremental render on/off does not make a difference.

Its nearly constant when RS or Livecaly is used. Pure Surface mode without RS seems to make the issue much less frequent.

4.5 BETA14

- Roughness workflow completely supported in UI

- Swap YZ is now better compatible with all Z - up editors. Previously Y and X axis was visually swapped.

- Blurring panoramas button instantly refreshes viewport

- Fixed problem of disappearing baked polygons in paint room.

- freeze correctly shown in all modes

- Torus primitive included

- Modulators for gloss/roughness introduced in layers blending panel.

• Like 4

• Advanced Member

4.5 BETA14

- Swap YZ is now better compatible with all Z - up editors. Previously Y and X axis was visually swapped.

Thank you Andrew! Will try this build out as soon as it finishes downloading

• Contributor

4.5 BETA14

- freeze correctly shown in all modes

Many thanks, Andrew! :good2:

• Reputable Contributor

A big thank you Andrew for the Roughness Workflow supported in the UI now and is context sensitive in the UI on which workflow I choose.

I change under Textures \ Texture export \ import workflow to the Roughness \ Metallness, the UI reflects the change in the upper tool bar and in the PBR shader editor... 

Also thanks for the Linux and Mac version coming soon...

post-518-0-41066500-1426464118_thumb.png

Edited by digman

Ok, got some egg on my face.... :blink:

You can export the glossiness in the Specular Color map's alpha channel in 3DC... from the textures menu or the export menu....

I even have my tool tips running but just did not hover over the specular color export function long enough to show the tool tip and I know better...

Darn I hate when I do that because lots of users read this thread...

Beta13A

This is only for the Specular setup not the metallic (Unity 5), right ?

I got a little problem now with the context sensitive workflow. It is a bit going back and forth. I have to switch to the specular workflow to get the specular + glosiness map. Then I have to go back to Metallic workflow to get the normal and Albedo map. That is ok, but not the fastest way.

Cool would it be to define the needed output by myself. Allegorithmic did a great job here in Substance Painter. I don't want to compare a say I need it the same way, but since there are quite a few applications with different needs for maps, this is very handy.

At Substance painter you can define the maps you need. Choose which one RGB, RGB+A, R+G+B,.. and just drag and drop the needed information in the appropriate channels. Simple and useful

post-39123-0-53713600-1426518061_thumb.p

• Reputable Contributor

This is only for the Specular setup not the metallic (Unity 5), right ?

I got a little problem now with the context sensitive workflow. It is a bit going back and forth. I have to switch to the specular workflow to get the specular + glosiness map. Then I have to go back to Metallic workflow to get the normal and Albedo map. That is ok, but not the fastest way.

Cool would it be to define the needed output by myself. Allegorithmic did a great job here in Substance Painter. I don't want to compare a say I need it the same way, but since there are quite a few applications with different needs for maps, this is very handy.

At Substance painter you can define the maps you need. Choose which one RGB, RGB+A, R+G+B,.. and just drag and drop the needed information in the appropriate channels. Simple and useful

attachicon.gifPainter_export.PNG

Yes we need the same setup for the Unity 5 Metallic workflow in 3DC as the Specular Color Workflow. Unity 5 places the roughness \ glossiness in the alpha channel of the metallic map when using the Metallic workflow...

I think once 4.5 gets out the door, that some default export functions for the two game engines would be a very good addition to the export panel... One for Unity 5 ( choosing either Specular or Metallic or both together and separate texture maps would be created) and one Unreal 4... You would not have to select the individual maps but they would be preselected using a default.  Of course you would not be force to use a default so you could still export the maps as it is now done. 

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

Linux version 64bit non cuda ---4.5Beta14

I just tested a regular background image and my baked model became semi-transparent in the Render room...

I also noticed that a baked model is not effected by the extra scene lights when using a HDR image. It appears there is some effect but not in normal fashion as you would expect an additional light to do.

No problem with a sculpted model using the PBR shader in the sculpt room. You can see the shadow effects and the color of the lights on your model. Now with some PBR materials (vetex painting) you seem to loose the shadow effect... Some are more reflective than others but in a render you still should be able to cast light and color shadows on a PBR material with the extra scene lights.

The above light problems still needs some more testing...

When loading a new scene and choosing a voxel sphere the sphere is black till I choose a shader.

This happens also when choosing a voxel primitive in the Sculpt room.

Ya know I will always ask for this, can we please have Progress Bars in Linux if possible. If not possible a simple can not be done answer for Linux would be great...

Edited by digman

• Contributor

Yes we need the same setup for the Unity 5 Metallic workflow in 3DC as the Specular Color Workflow. Unity 5 places the roughness \ glossiness in the alpha channel of the metallic map when using the Metallic workflow...

I think once 4.5 gets out the door, that some default export functions for the two game engines would be a very good addition to the export panel... One for Unity 5 ( choosing either Specular or Metallic or both together and separate texture maps would be created) and one Unreal 4... You would not have to select the individual maps but they would be preselected using a default.  Of course you would not be force to use a default so you could still export the maps as it is now done. 

+10000 + Marmoset Toolbag