3D Coat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

GTX 650

cuda DX64

mesh YES disappear at orthographic mode IF surface model at sculpt room is hide AND show voxels in paint room is ON

BUT appear IF sculpt room > show poly object in sculpt room is ON

Hopefully this will be fixed soon. I had a shock when opened my scene in the new version... First I thought my mesh was gone.

I was forced to search the forums to see where to set the mesh visible.

For me it is a bug currently.

Its still not possible to rotate the environment map using the light angle button when the background is set to 'vertical gradient', right? Or is there some setting I've missed?

Nice! 3D Coat crashed, and now I can't open my project anymore because it crashes again when I try to open it. 

Whats more, I can't open ANY of the file versions of that project I have saved, about 10 different ones! Please tell me that this is not true...

Please do not use the latest betas in production. They are not production ready. Like Carlos mentioned, this is beta. Use the last stable build (4.1) from here:

http://3d-coat.com/download/

Please do not use the latest betas in production. They are not production ready. Like Carlos mentioned, this is beta. Use the last stable build (4.1) from here:

http://3d-coat.com/download/

Danger Will Robinson Danger... Beta---Beta---Beta---

Even more true with the PBR beta as there are major changes from the last official version...

I do regular complete clean installs when testing the PBR beta... At this time I do not care about keeping settings and I am not making any PBR materials that I mind losing till PBR 4.5 is officially released.

Edited by digman

I think the development team for PBR beta 4.5 would be already working on adding more alpha texture selections for a 3DC to Unity 5 workflow. It might have been stated in the Beta Thread but I do not remember seeing it. I do use not use at this time Unity 5 but am looking at using it sometime in the future.

Unity 5 uses an Alpha type workflow for the Glossiness or Roughness values. Unity 5 terms it Smoothness

Unity 5 has what they call a specular or metallic workflow.

In the Specular workflow, the glossiness or roughness is stored in the alpha channel of the specular map.

In the Metallic workflow, the glossiness or roughness is stored in the alpha channel of the metallic map.

Currently in 3DC the glossiness(gloss) can only be stored in the alpha channel of the normal map.

Here is a picture from Unity 5 blog, posted FEB 18, 2015 and the link.

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/02/18/working-with-physically-based-shading-a-practical-approach/

The article describes the workflow at least the Specular one.  Pictures I show in this post are further down the page in the article.

The above shows the need for the ability to put gloss(glossiness map) in the Alpha channel of a specluar map and or a metallic map in the export dialog box under the file menu. Also added under the Textures menu in the paint room.

This a little confusing because normally you do not need a spec map with PBR, you can use one of course for certain uses. Unity 5 appears to want a specular map for the Specular Workflow but the glossiness / roughness is put in the alpha channel of the spec map.

Posting this here also as the article for me cleared up how Unity 5 uses PBR and how you setup for it...

post-518-0-30828000-1426212964_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

The below is from my other post.

"This a little confusing because normally you do not need a spec map with PBR, you can use one of course for certain uses. Unity 5 appears to want a specular map for the Specular Workflow but the glossiness / roughness is put in the alpha channel of the spec map."

I reread the article and understand now that the specular workflow is where you manually give the color of reflections...

From the article...

They both define the color of the reflections leaving the surface. In the Specular workflow, color is specified directly, whilst in the Metallic workflow, the color is derived from a combination of the diffuse color and the metallic value set in the Standard Shader controls.

I am posting this since I can not edit my earlier post...

• Like 1

Sending the file to support did not work ("Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table", whatever that means).

If you want to check the file, download it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53072176/public_files/object.zip

If anyone is able to open it (you can hope, right?) I'd be very, very thankful if you could export it as OBJ and post a link to it here.

Sending the file to support did not work ("Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table", whatever that means).

If you want to check the file, download it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53072176/public_files/object.zip

If anyone is able to open it (you can hope, right?) I'd be very, very thankful if you could export it as OBJ and post a link to it here.

The 3DC file opened with no problems at all... I sent you a link through a pm with the download link for the obj file I exported...

Your 3DC file I opened in Beta13A...

Edited by digman

Hi, I also could open the 3b file without any problems. Very nice fishy :). If you wish, I can upload the obj file and a newly saved 3b file for you. I also use Beta 13A.

Btw. How did you made the scale? Great one :)!

The 3DC file opened with no problems at all... I sent you a link through a pm with the download link for the obj file I exported...

Your 3DC file I opened in Beta13A...

Thanks a lot digman, you saved my day. :)

Thats certainly very strange though, there seems to be something wrong with my 3D Coat install or my system then (running a 3D Coat Beta under Windows 10 Technical Preview might not have been my best idea ever). Uninstalled and re-installed 3D Coat several times and even tried to open the file in different beta versions, without success.

Btw. How did you made the scale? Great one  :)!

Got an OBJ file from digman already, but thanks a lot for the offer.

I used an alpha stencil for the scales. Far from perfect though, the fish is still very much work in progress.

Edited by wilson66
  • Like 1

Nice! 3D Coat crashed, and now I can't open my project anymore because it crashes again when I try to open it. 

Whats more, I can't open ANY of the file versions of that project I have saved, about 10 different ones! Please tell me that this is not true...

In 95% of such cases deleting options*.xml files in MyDocs/3D-CoatV4/ will help.

Probably some files in MyDocs/3D-Coat/ was corrupted due to (for example) hard reboot.

Ok, got some egg on my face.... :blink:

You can export the glossiness in the Specular Color map's alpha channel in 3DC... from the textures menu or the export menu....

I even have my tool tips running but just did not hover over the specular color export function long enough to show the tool tip and I know better...

Darn I hate when I do that because lots of users read this thread...

Beta13A

Edited by digman

Does anyone know whether its currently possible to for 3d coat's PBR painting to work with externally imported AO and curvature maps?  I try importing them, and certainly they do import,..but the pbr materials dont seem to adhere to the AO or curvature (painting is not varying based off of the greyscale changes in either map).  I end up having to bake AO over the entire object, which means if there is say a head band going over a character's head, there will be everytime a dark mark under the headband, and there doesn't seem to be a way to bake AO on individual objects..Also it does take a long time.  Even after I have baked AO maps in xnormal (for rendering in marmoset, and other uses) I'm forced to rebake in 3d coat if I want to paint properly, and if I import a new object, I need to rebake all over again...And the same can be said for the curvature map...Is anyone else getting this problem, or is there an option or step I am missing?  I know the beta isn't finished, but I wanted to inquire about this in case there is a solution available.

thanks,

josh

Does anyone know whether its currently possible to for 3d coat's PBR painting to work with externally imported AO and curvature maps?

thanks,

josh

Texture > import > external AO

Texture > import > external curvature

Mine works fine with any PBR material... may be im losing something about your request.

How much work would it be to just make a new paint room with PBR only workflow ?

How to save out my custom pbr materials ?

Post and thread related moved

Hi

All question related to 3DC workflow/feature request, but not to 4.5 current development / bug report have been moved to subforums:

New Users

3DCoat

&

Feature request

New Releases and Betas

ty

Carlosan,

hey a bit that I left out of my post,..is that it seems to not work with multiple uv groups,..it will import, but it wont modulate the pbr painting after the first uv set has its ao imported...

Andrew,Im experiencing some flickering of screen while scupting (13A,DX,GTX660) Nothing crazy ,but its very noticeable.

Ortho on/off,cuda on/off or incremental render on/off does not make a difference.

Its nearly constant when RS or Livecaly is used. Pure Surface mode without RS seems to make the issue much less frequent.

4.5 BETA14

- Roughness workflow completely supported in UI

- Swap YZ is now better compatible with all Z - up editors. Previously Y and X axis was visually swapped.

- Blurring panoramas button instantly refreshes viewport

- Fixed problem of disappearing baked polygons in paint room.

- freeze correctly shown in all modes

- Torus primitive included

- Modulators for gloss/roughness introduced in layers blending panel.

• Like 4

4.5 BETA14

- Swap YZ is now better compatible with all Z - up editors. Previously Y and X axis was visually swapped.

Thank you Andrew! Will try this build out as soon as it finishes downloading

4.5 BETA14

- freeze correctly shown in all modes

Many thanks, Andrew! :good2: