3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Advanced Member

AO baking artifacts:

AO_art.png

When using the 'name correspondence' option in the baking menu, other objects in the scene should be ignored to avoid artifacts. Doesn't work with AO baking though. Above is the bake using name correspondence (clearly visible "shadows" from surrounding objects), below another bake of the same scene without that option but manually hidden surrounding objects.

Or is this correct behavior/ only for normal maps?

Edited by wilson66

• Reputable Contributor

AO baking artifacts:

AO_art.png

When using the 'name correspondence' option in the baking menu, other objects in the scene should be ignored to avoid artifacts. Doesn't work with AO baking though. Above is the bake using name correspondence (clearly visible "shadows" from surrounding objects), below another bake of the same scene without that option but manually hidden surrounding objects.

Or is this correct behavior/ only for normal maps?

I agree, all the work done on AO in the Paint Room should be mirrored to the BAKE menu in the Retopo Room, and it should be available for PPP w/ Displacement and MicroVertex as well. That way, the user can take advantage of the Sequential Texture Baking, using "Naming Correspondence."

In the mean time, you can just skip the AO baking when merging objects into the Paint Room, and just do it all in the Paint Room. But it won't work with normal maps, you may say. Andrew changed that just before 4.5 was released. It now takes advantage of normal maps during AO baking. So, that is a pretty BIG feature, in my opinion.

• Contributor

Noise stays on General Clay even when Noise checkbox is unchecked. In order to disable the noise, one needs to bring down its sliders to zero first.

To reproduce, select General Clay, enable Noise, increase its amplitude and tweak its scale, then finally disable the noise and start sculpting. The noise will remain enabled.

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

Self-intersection Detection (General Clay) creates holes (with Merge and Repel actions) and spikes (Repel action) in the mesh. Also, Repel makes a garbled mess out of the surface.

Reproducible on a default sphere.

post-12523-0-98846500-1438885240_thumb.j

• Contributor

I don't think it's a bug, because the checkbox says Apply Realtime, so it's applied immediately after you tweak any of the parameters. The noise remains editable until you close the options window or switch to other tool. Though I admit that it's confusing and I got fooled many times by this mode thinking it's just a preview. :)

Anyway, the Apply button gets hidden now once you enable Apply Realtime.

And speaking of Noise tool, sometimes it becomes non-undoable for no reason. It happened to me several times during the last hour.

Edited by ajz3d

still getting "can't get the number of OpenCl platforms" as soon as I select the Occlusion tool. :(

Even with the Default Robot file....

I would like for more users with NVidia graphic cards to report on this.

Maybe my graphic card is dying or somethin....

2 days ago everything worked fine with the new driver....

The only thing I did is changing UI a bit...very strange.

Finally,I dont think that makes the "entire" build unsafe as its only one feature in the whole program

and even maybe releasing the build with this issue will provide more feedback from other users

that may lead to solution...

artman, please try this version:

from now programm first initialize OpenCL.dll from device vendor, if failed - program try find OpenCL64.dll from vendor, and if failed again - program automaticaly try use DLL from Khronos Group.
One of these has to work properly.

WARNING: Necessarily you need to delete OpenCL.dll and OpenCL64.dll from 3DCoat instalation folder. (Keep only cOpenCL64.dll).

in this update also fixed: error painting on AO layer after calculation...

Thanks!
Edited by carrots

• Contributor

artman, please try this version:

from now programm first initialize OpenCL.dll from device vendor, if failed - program try find OpenCL64.dll from vendor, and if failed again - program automaticaly try use DLL from Khronos Group.
One of these has to work properly.

WARNING: Necessarily you need to delete OpenCL.dll and OpenCL64.dll from 3DCoat instalation folder. (Keep only cOpenCL.dll).

in this update also fixed: error painting on AO layer after calculation...

Thanks!

now it says ; "Error 2:can't get the number of OpenCl platforms.Method 0."

really wish i could help you more. :(

I'll ask user Jose Conseco he has gtx 660 too.

Edit: I've sent him a message...we'll see,

AbnRanger does not seem to have any problem since he updated the driver.

With latest driver it was working too on my side but it stopped working after a day

...right after I changed UI a bit...maybe it is related.

With latest driver it was working too on my side but it stopped working after a day

I have GTX 660 too, but there work very fine. And i can't reproduce this problem.

Very sorry... ):

• Advanced Member

I haven't had any issues with OpenCL on my GTX460 (although I run on Linux).  From the error it definitely looks like a driver issue, as it looks like it can't find the OpenCL libs.

Is there a way to specify which GPU to run on?  I have two, so it would be nice to be able to choose my other one that I don't use for the displays.  

• Reputable Contributor

Maybe you already tried this, but re-install the latest driver, and at the beginning of the install, choose CUSTOM. After you proceed, there should be a small checkbox at the bottom left with the text "CLEAN INSTALL." That removes the old completely and installs the new. Then see if you still get that error message in 3D Coat.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Greetings , 

one small request please that will serve all the community.

Can you kindly post hot-fixes link and a small description at the first page like usual?

Changes:

3.08.2015 4.5.09

- OpenCL tweaked to solve existing problems.
- Started refactoring. And seems it leads to functionaliny tweaking as well. Uncluttering allowed to use "On plane" in surface tools. It is in "Flattern tool" that may be really uselul.

HOTFIXES bla bla bla

Description : Solves bla bla bla

• Advanced Member

Gpu AO is not working for me now, but worked in previous release...

Anyway render result from hemisphere AO bake is not normalized correctly:

SkyLf4n.jpg

Sphere AO bake ao looks ok, but hemisphere and hemi+sphere are to dark. I used standard blend mode for AO layers.

Edited by JoseConseco
  • Like 2

• Contributor

Maybe you already tried this, but re-install the latest driver, and at the beginning of the install, choose CUSTOM. After you proceed, there should be a small checkbox at the bottom left with the text "CLEAN INSTALL." That removes the old completely and installs the new. Then see if you still get that error message in 3D Coat.

Thanx,its working again now. :)

(But it worked fine when I installed driver the first time....then stopped working for no reason after a day or 2.)

Lets hope its still working in a few days...

• Contributor

I still keep getting plenty of holes when sculpting in surface mode with standard surface- and LiveClay tools. Is there a chance that it will be fixed eventually and once and for all?

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

I still keep getting plenty of holes when sculpting in surface mode with standard surface- and LiveClay tools. Is there a chance that it will be fixed eventually and once and for all?

could you be more descriptive (show screenshots of wireframe,explain which tools are used (detail level ect..)

I sculpt in surface mode every day(Liveclayy,RemoveStretching) and I dont remember the last time I had any sorts of holes....

• Contributor

could you be more descriptive (show screenshots of wireframe,explain which tools are used (detail level ect..)

I sculpt in surface mode every day(Liveclayy,RemoveStretching) and I dont remember the last time I had any sorts of holes....

Of course, Artman. Pardon for the vagueness of my post. I was going to write a longer version later, during a break.

I'm currently sculpting some stone objects. They have noise applied to their surface (with Noise tool). I'm using Rapid2 brush with Remove Stretching to carve their edges and every now and then I get a hole or self-intersecting areas which I then have to fix (with Fill Holes or smoothing - if it's a self-intersecting surface):

post-12523-0-73392700-1438953930_thumb.j

post-12523-0-88820400-1438953934_thumb.j

post-12523-0-11050700-1438953938_thumb.j

Yesterday I was trying out some different configurations of cracks on the rocks. To make the cracks I used General Clay tool (with some noise, but it produced some intersections. So I enabled detection of Self Intersections, but like I described in one of my earlier posts, it generated holes and spikes.

Finally, from time to time (well, rarely) during brushing I get small areas of dense triangle concentration that only CleanClay can fix.

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

Of course, Artman. Pardon the vagueness of my post. I was going to write a longer version later, during a break.

I'm currently sculpting some stone objects. They have noise applied to their surface (with Noise tool). I'm using Rapid2 brush with Remove Stretching to carve their edges and every now and then I get a hole or self-intersecting areas which I then have to fix (with Fill Holes or smoothing - if it's a self-intersecting surface):

attachicon.gifrapid2_hole1.jpg

attachicon.gifrapid2_hole2.jpg

attachicon.gifrapid2_intersecting_surface.jpg

Yesterday I was trying out some different configurations of cracks on the rocks. To make the cracks I used General Clay tool (with some noise, but it produced some intersections. So I enabled detection of Self Intersections, but like I described in one of my earlier posts, it generated holes and spikes.

Finally, from time to time (well, rarely) during brushing I get small areas of dense triangle concentration that only CleanClay can fix.

I suspect noise to be the culprit.

Also General Clay is a pretty unsafe/experimental tool...self-detection is also pretty experimental (not tested/used by many users)

and it also makes your brush super slow (probably why most users stay away from it)....

If you can catch one brush stroke that create a hole,undo and send file to Andrew with instruction on what brush to use at a particular area to generate hole he might be able to reproduce and fix.

What I recommend if you dont want to wait for a fix (which may never happen)

-Use Noise tool.

-Convert to voxels (yes file is gonna be heavy to capture all noise details)

-Return to Surface mode to keep sculpting (Remove strtching is very safe)

-Avoid General Brush and self-detection

But generally "sculpting" with Remove strecthing and most Liveclay brushes (liveclay,Creaseclay ect...) is pretty solid.

But its also easy to force self-intersection by keeping pressure on the brush intensively without releasing the brush and letting RS do its magic.

If you intend to do this, voxel mode is better suited.

• Like 1

- UDIM export tiles order corrected, now it corresponds to original placement of tiles.

- Sketch tool got more precise painting - shape size exactly corresponds to pen size and lasso painting, no more inward extrusion.

- Click to pick restored in transform tool

- To main axis/to center mass in pose tool

- Updated description in Sketch tool, fixed little problems there.

- Included all OpenCL changes

I am deeply in refactoring process, trying to be very safe, testing all changes carefully, but need your tests.

I really want to make stable build because 4.5.03 has serious retopo snapping problems.

• Like 6

• Contributor

I suspect noise to be the culprit.

Also General Clay is a pretty unsafe/experimental tool...self-detection is also pretty experimental (not tested/used by many users)

and it also makes your brush super slow (probably why most users stay away from it)....

If you can catch one brush stroke that create a hole,undo and send file to Andrew with instruction on what brush to use at a particular area to generate hole he might be able to reproduce and fix.

What I recommend if you dont want to wait for a fix (which may never happen)

-Use Noise tool.

-Convert to voxels (yes file is gonna be heavy to capture all noise details)

-Return to Surface mode to keep sculpting (Remove strtching is very safe)

-Avoid General Brush and self-detection

But generally "sculpting" with Remove strecthing and most Liveclay brushes (liveclay,Creaseclay ect...) is pretty solid.

But its also easy to force self-intersection by keeping pressure on the brush intensively without releasing the brush and letting RS do its magic.

If you intend to do this, voxel mode is better suited.

Thanks for the advice, Artman.

Yes, Noise and General Clay might be the culprit. I'll try to stay away from the latter although I like the tool very much because it's basically a Swiss army knife. It contains almost all LiveClay tools which allows for creation of very interesting brushes. I wish it was more robust.

Any ideas on why there is only one type of noise available in the Nose tool while most LiveClay tools have 8 different noise patterns?

Thanks for the UDIM fix Andrew. I appreciate your attention to that issue.

Indeed. That's a very important fix. Thank you Andrew.

Andrey, is possible to improve hard surface modeling? You have brilliant stuff for that, but it has some problem. For example:

1) First - i need to cut a peece by 3 directions. I can use Cut tool with Depth limit but sometimes it's not comfortable, because i can't control backside. Fine solution for that will be something like your amazing Plane tool by 3 sides. It would be to help user "pull out" peeces from model. 

2)One more, your Split tool. Is it possible to make that working in Loop mode? Other words to draw line around division border and split by that.

3)And one more proposal. For correctly display hard edges you could be to make auto-allign voxel mesh  by edge. It would allow to have on low resolution mesh sharp edges for further baking.

Thank you!