3DCoat Forums

Great. I just lost a whole VoxTree layer. I kept it as a proxy and when I tried to restore it from this mode, 3D-Coat emptied the layer.

So, I guess that the proxy mode is still not safe to use.

Edited by ajz3d

Uh oh, that's not good. Any chance you can send the scene it happened in to Andrew?

Yeah, I'm writing the e-mail as we speak.

I have inspected file sizes of the corrupted file and the most recent incremental file that works (and has this layer proxied). There is a difference of 800MB in favour of the working file, so the original (non-proxied) geometry is most likely not present at all in the corrupted file. The proxy is displayed and can be edited, though.

E-mail sent. Hopefully Andrew will be able to pinpoint the cause of the problem.

Luckily for me, the corrupted proxy layer was just a temporary layer I made to act as a reference for retopo stuff.

I think that from now on, just to be on the safe side, I will be making a backup copy of each layer that I intend to proxy, and delete the backup only after I safely return the layer to its original state.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 2

Bad luck but brilliant workaround ajz3d , well done.

Updated to 4.5.04

- Auto retopology quality improved. Still does not like too much guides.

- very important problem of snapping retopo vertices to back faces of retopo mesh fixed.

- Indenting in paint curve tool with CTRL recovered

- Fixed problem with unweld vertices in SymmCopy command in surface mode.

- Fixed a lot of problems of automapping over very complex objects. It is important for AO/light maps over levels/complex objects.

- Old-style quadrangulation restored as is for those who liked it.

- Flat subdivision in "Import" tool for facetng.

- Scrpting got major update, classes Mat4, Vec3 introduced, first functions to use them - SetCurVolumeTransform, GetCurVolumeTransform

- Retopo room: single tweaked point always snaps to visible surface and vever dives into surface.

- Fixed problem of leaking projection from potoshop to backgliund layer if distance between layers is small.

New sripting documentation:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17cwZAOxv6Hbt86-ktPv5uJBLJ4-7TdWFIjJUc_FV7_s/edit?usp=sharing

For some time I was in vacation, also qudrangulation experiments took some time...

• Like 3

E-mail sent. Hopefully Andrew will be able to pinpoint the cause of the problem.

Luckily for me, the corrupted proxy layer was just a temporary layer I made to act as a reference for retopo stuff.

I think that from now on, just to be on the safe side, I will be making a backup copy of each layer that I intend to proxy, and delete the backup only after I safely return the layer to its original state.

Thanks for taking the time to report. :)

Updated to 4.5.04

- very important problem of snapping retopo vertices to back faces of retopo mesh fixed.

- Fixed a lot of problems of automapping over very complex objects. It is important for AO/light maps over levels/complex objects.

- Scrpting got major update, classes Mat4, Vec3 introduced, first functions to use them - SetCurVolumeTransform, GetCurVolumeTransform

- Retopo room: single tweaked point always snaps to visible surface and vever dives into surface.

- Fixed problem of leaking projection from potoshop to backgliund layer if distance between layers is small.

For some time I was in vacation, also qudrangulation experiments took some time, so

Thanks Andrew! Was the bug with the Poly Stroke mode fixed also?

Thanks Andrew! Was the bug with the Poly Stroke mode fixed also?

Please remind what do you mean, there was so many fixes that possibly I missed in the list.

Updated to 4.5.04

For some time I was in vacation, also qudrangulation experiments took some time, so

really strong improvement in autoretopo!!! 

still feels experimental tough (getting holes in mesh if polycount is too low and hard surface mode and guides are not super useful,sometimes even small amount of guides give not so good result compared to without guides)

I get very,very good results using polycounts above 300 for very simple shapes and above 2000 polys for more intricate pieces

(I try to stay lopoly as much possible)

best result recipe for me:

cloning meshes and converting to voxels in the 100k-300k range,

then using ; maximum quality setting,  75% details capturing, no decimation,no tangent smoothing ,no guides ,no density modulation.

for very thin parts I use Extrude of 1or2 to beef the volumes a little bit before  launching the autoretopology.

Possibly results are  even better when aiming for higner polycounts (5k and more) but Im more interested in lower polycounts atm.

Its defintly MUCH better than previous version but still not as forgiving than zremesher. Also Raul's closehole tool is pretty cool and really complementary (altough sometimes I need to hover outside the hole to close it)

Please remind what do you mean, there was so many fixes that possibly I missed in the list.

Hey man. It's this one:

When attempting to use the Poly Stroke mode in the Paint Room with the Freeze Tool, the tool uses the last selected Pressure Stroke mode you had selected. It no longer respects the Poly Stroke mode as it was.

AUTOPO still needs some more attention. I try to make some simple shapes to make AUTOPO but it fails all the time. For example, I merged sphere and box together (not symmetrical) and try to make AUTOPO for this shape. Sphere part has open or intersecting polygons all the time. I try to make it without marking high density and without guides.

Clipboard03.png

Edited by Vipera

AUTOPO still needs some more attention. I try to make some simple shapes to make AUTOPO but it fails all the time. For example, I merged sphere and box together (not symmetrical) and try to make AUTOPO for this shape. Sphere part has open or intersecting polygons all the time. I try to make it without marking high density and without guides.

Clipboard03.png

Hm.. What about this? Something you expect?

:)

post-955-0-65374600-1435928028_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Nice job, thanks for sharing! I was surprised at the tip, "Never use “decimate model” values over 50." as I often use it at 80 but I'll follow your advice in future.

Great update works very nice.

Congrats.

Edited by Michaelgdrs

Ty for sharing Taros

i have questions about this settings.

- How can i get Crease Angle to respect the model edgeflow ?

Could CA be able to analyze the curvature -vertex ratio- of the model ?

post-10142-0-56475100-1435968145_thumb.j

- Density of quads generated automatically using local cuvature

I need density variation, but cant get it work detecting the edgeflow.

post-10142-0-52460500-1435968157_thumb.j

Do you have any hints too ?

creaseAngle.gif

ty !

Ty for sharing Taros

attachicon.gifCA.jpg

Carlosan where did you get that special Hard Edge Retopo window from?

And...uh..wow

65QMFtk.jpg

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

Hi !

you need to change this:

Voxelize before quadrangulation = off

side note:

a detailed guide about every setting, how they work and how different values change the topology result -with graphical example- will be very welcome (and could help a lot to avoid trial and error)

• Like 2

For what it's worth, I was able to check this build, and the bug is fixed. Thanks!

Your guys' autopo results with the new algorithm are pretty good. Chris, thanks for the write up! I think that a lot of people will find this update very useful.

• Like 1

Very useful indeed.

Results are better and with better topology.

It needs some polish and i truly believe that its a very very good start against ...... you know what.

Nice job, thanks for sharing! I was surprised at the tip, "Never use “decimate model” values over 50." as I often use it at 80 but I'll follow your advice in future.

It is an advice by Andrew. I have made some further tests and it is really better to not to set higher values.

• Like 1

Ty for sharing Taros

attachicon.gifCA.jpg

- Density of quads generated automatically using local cuvature

I need density variation, but cant get it work the edge detection.

attachicon.gifAD.jpg

Do you have any hints too ?

creaseAngle.gif

ty !

I will make some more tests soon but I guess the new routine should actually already follow the edges very good and produce nice polyflows without any further settings.
  • Like 1