3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Contributor

Andrew.

Import an object which is positioned somewhere off the world origin or create a primitive that is similarily positioned.

Now, select Transform tool, click To Center Mass and choose View->Snap to 3D Grid. The manipulator will be moved to the nearest 3D grid point! :blink:

• Reputable Contributor

Don't know it this is the best place to ask, but it is normal a slow behavior on the computer regarding creating AO and Curvature maps and even enable or disable layer visibility for a 8k smart material on a simple low poly mesh? I have a I7 3550k, 16gb ddr3 and GTX 970 4GB, 3D Coat 4.5.10

EDIT: also, everytime I will use Fill Tool with Smart Material 3D Coats warns me that the process can take a long time. I can only press OK or CANCEL using keyboard. Mouse becomes unresponsive.

AO and Curvature maps is basically a rendering process, so yes, it's not going to be instantaneous. It's not instant when you bake AO maps in Maya or 3ds Max, so one shouldn't expect it to be all that different in 3D Coat? As far as 8k maps, each layer has 3-4 9k maps stored on it (color, gloss/roughness, depth, and metalness) so it takes a little longer for it to dump and load into memory than a 2k or 4k map. Maybe while Andrew is refactoring the app, he can do something to further optimize these kinds of things, including scrubbing the opacity sliders of each channel.

The other thing to take into account is your hardware. Some tasks are especially stressful on our hardware. Working with 8k-16k maps, while simultaneously painting on 3-4 maps/channels at a time, is one of them. Nevertheless, if you could screen record what is happening on your system and then e-mail a link to that recording + mention what your system specs are, and send that to Andrew at "Support@3d-coat.com" ....that would be the best way to get an answer, regarding the problem.

• Contributor

Too sad reading about Auto - Retopo not getting some OpenCL love.

Not even a little try??

Anyway i trust the team here to come up with solution in the matters that causing us troubles.

• Advanced Member

Installing 4.5 10 or 11 has voxels no longer work correctly on my system. default voxel spheres don't show. Mannequin shows, but any sculpting makes disappear... Can open surface objects and convert to voxels, but operations make surface disappear again....

Rolled back to 4.5.7 and works again...

quadro fx 5600 with 341.61 driver. Clean install rolled back to previous 311.35 and still issues......

Any input on this?

• Advanced Member

SO regarding the previous post about the CUDA... It IS related to the CUDA. So 2 questions:

1. Did some recent builds go to a new "code" for CUDA that makes it no longer relevant with my older card?

2. I have always loaded the CUDA build. If I launch the CUDA build and go to the geometry menu and uncheck "use cuda", all works again, so.... Is unchecking "Use CUDA" and just running the regular non-cuda build the same? Or maybe I still get some benefit somewhere else with cuda build?

• Advanced Member

Thanks carlosan,

I saw that last week and didn't put the 2 together... Looks like the latest driver for my older card doesn't cut the mustard. I'll be stuck without cuda until an upgrade in hardware is in my hands...

Thanks for the replies....

• Reputable Contributor

The function of the buttons work. The post was regarding the tooltips both reading the same thing. It's a SMALL contribution.....

Oh, yeah. That is a little "oopsie." I wish Andrew would add proper tooltips every time he adds a new tool. Oftentimes, there are none, and that by itself, creates unnecessary inconsistency in the app...not to mention the fact that it leaves the user guessing what it is and does.

• Like 1

- Important addition - [Camera]->Look along normal to focus camera on point using picked normal, assign hotkey and use
- Smart material rotation control acts on UV mapping projection type as well. Very important for laying wood texture.
- scripting file io and execute commands
- Sketchfab compatibility improved - there was problems when UV sets and materials have different names.
- fill patterns restored

I really hope it is stable

• Like 3

• Contributor

- Important addition - [Camera]->Look along normal to focus camera on point using picked normal, assign hotkey and use

An excellent addition, Andrew!

P.S. Andrew, can you add an option to limit FPS? Whenever I'm using 3D-Coat, even for relatively low-poly sculptures or retopo job, FPS starts to skyrocket to a maximum possible value. I have witnessed values well over 900 frames per second, which doesn't make any sense to me. GPU load increases to 70-90% without any reason and the video card warms up to high temperatures. I had to resort to using NVIDIA Inspector to limit the frame rate to reasonable values of 50.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Andrew, can you make all colour pickers to pick up colours from outside of 3D-Coat window?

Hell, I can't even pick colours from 3D-Coat itself.

post-12523-0-39539700-1439593593_thumb.j

For example: on the picture above, I'd like to pick up one of the already defined blue colours, without having to memorize their HSV or RGB values and re-entering them.

Maya 2012 had the same problem, but you could hold the dropper icon and hover the cursor over area of interest that was outside of Maya window to pick up the colour. I can't do this workaround here.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Contributor

On sculpt room on Voxtree the + signs for adding a new sculpt layer are missing.....

P.S

Sorry Andrew i know you need to get a stable version but i had to bring this up.

On sculpt room on Voxtree the + signs for adding a new sculpt layer are missing.....

confirmed

--------------------------------------

- Changing rooms make appear lot of floating menu windows without reason

post-10142-0-96935700-1439598804_thumb.j

post-10142-0-37930700-1439598808_thumb.j

Saved preset disappear ?

Please could any1 confirm ?

ty

• Like 1

hotkey specific for each room would be cool. a really incredible addition to 3d coat would be Pie Menus. Pie menus in a scupting program is a long, long dream of mine. i plan on requesting this soon. Blender has some nice pie menus, i love modo but i think blender has modo beat. 

instead of spacebar (the ui is massive for this pop up btw) custom pie menus please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! set our own menus up, assign them to custom hotkeys. insanely fast workflow. so many commands under one key.

quickpie_blender_3d_addon_edit_x_key.jpg

Edited by metrons
  • Like 3

• Contributor

confirmed

- Changing rooms make appear lot of floating menu windows without reason

attachicon.gifrenderroom.jpg

attachicon.gifChangeRooms.jpg

Saved preset disappear ?

Please could any1 confirm ?

ty

I can confirm both with one small exception , on the floating menu windows i get it some times not always.

Preset not there i can confirm it as well.

And i noticed some typos as well , for example 

Windows --> Restore this page Lyout and a couple more that i cant find now unfortunately.

• Contributor

hotkey specific for each room would be cool. a really incredible addition to 3d coat would be Pie Menus. Pie menus in a scupting program is a long, long dream of mine. i plan on requesting this soon. Blender has some nice pie menus, i love modo but i think blender has modo beat. 

instead of spacebar (the ui is massive for this pop up btw) custom pie menus please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! set our own menus up, assign them to custom hotkeys. insanely fast workflow. so many commands under one key.

quickpie_blender_3d_addon_edit_x_key.jpg

Yeah, pie menus or radial menus would be a great help. Especially if it they were made fully customizable, like in Nvil.

In Nvil you can create as many radial menus as you wish and bind them to hotkeys of your choice. It really makes the workflow more streamlined as you don't have to remember hundreds of hotkeys or click your way through various menus and submenus - just invoke an appropriate radial menu and choose an item.

post-12523-0-32134600-1439600463_thumb.p

Another feature worth implementing are gestures (known from Maya). Press a hotkey to invoke a radial menu and immediately afterwards, before the menu even comes into view, make a move with your pen in some direction to invoke the tool that is stored at a given position in that menu.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Another thing i noticed is this

On a floating menu for example Symmetry (by pressing S) if you change its dimensions by dragging its corners or sides then it wont auto disappear!!!