3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

4.5.17 [sTABLE]

- removing smart material folders fixed

- Fixed: more on flat/curved was not working as paint conditions in paint room.

- Fixed problem of freezing of projection editing in external editor.

- Resolved problem with trial extension keys

- Fixed merge down problems

I was in vacation for almost two weeks, so changs are really minimal. I still have not resolved all problems accumulated during that time, but merging is critical problem, so I made this build.

Main development is in other branch now.

• Like 3

Undo in the Paint Room fails constantly for many tools.

Random Flip X randomly gets disabled (other Brush Options are probably affected too).

Ocassionally Alphas window, which I invoke temporarily with a hotkey, instead of appearing under the cursor appears in the right upper corner of 3D-Coat's window. Then if I invoke it again it does appear under the cursor, but I need to close it with the "x" button (it won't disappear when the cursor leaves it).

Is there way to reproduce Undo problems? I tried but all works exactly as expected.
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Is there way to reproduce Undo problems? I tried but all works exactly as expected.

Try brushing with a brush tool, enable some brush options like flipping X or Y, use stamps from the e-panel, select different brush alphas, rotate the brush, etc. After some painting try to Undo several times and you'll notice that sometimes you won't be able to go back past a certain level in the undo stack.

I'll try version 4.5.17 tomorrow and see if I can reproduce it.

P.S. Oh, I'm using popup windows a lot (invoked with hotkeys). I thought I'll mention it FWIW because you never know.

Try brushing with a brush tool, enable some brush options like flipping X or Y, use stamps from the e-panel, select different brush alphas, rotate the brush, etc. After some painting try to Undo several times and you'll notice that sometimes you won't be able to go back past a certain level in the undo stack.

I'll try version 4.5.17 tomorrow and see if I can reproduce it.

P.S. Oh, I'm using popup windows a lot (invoked with hotkeys). I thought I'll mention it FWIW because you never know.

I tried, but no luck to reproduce.

• Contributor

I tried, but no luck to reproduce.

Me too. Later I'll try to dig out a scene in which this problem was occurring very frequently - and attempt to reproduce the issue. Can't do this at the moment though.

Edited by ajz3d

So, is there any info on the intended extent of what the 'code refactoring', and generally what the team is hoping to achieve with it?

Are they rebuilding the entire core application, or just cleaning it up on the surface? Are they going to update some of the more legacy components (CUDA comes to mind)? Will bugs that get fixed stay fixed more often? etc.

I started code refactoring to make code better organised, documented and more readable. Possibly 3D-Coat will become half-opensource (but I may not guarantee).

In next month no new features will be introduced and no important fixes expected if this buld will becme stable because I need to perform refactoring. Othervice we will not be able to deevlop in 3-4 years because of code complexity and disorganisation. So this stage is very important for future. Refactoring will not bring something new to users but will allow fo fix problem easier and develop faster, extend programmers team.

• Advanced Member

Just thought I'd mention this in case it hasn't been said, but I wonder if the slowness of the sliders in the paint room and other places in 3D Coat is due to the fact that they are not integers...I don't think we need decimal values in there.  I noticed that you can go in there in and put in values like 10.22% for example.  I think 100 levels of granulation are more than sufficient in just about any situation.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Just thought I'd mention this in case it hasn't been said, but I wonder if the slowness of the sliders in the paint room and other places in 3D Coat is due to the fact that they are not integers...I don't think we need decimal values in there.  I noticed that you can go in there in and put in values like 10.22% for example.  I think 100 levels of granulation are more than sufficient in just about any situation.

Good point!

• Reputable Contributor

Last two weeks I had to pause refactoring and get back to bugfixing/small tweaks mode.

New build with all fixes comes very soon.

Andrew, you recently enabled STEADY STROKE in the Retopo Room, would it be too much trouble to enable the Strokes tool to use the different SHAPE (including the LINE) and SPLINE selection draw modes in the E-panel? Basically lay down strokes along the selection shape? Would make the Strokes tool so much more efficient and powerful.

• Like 2

• Contributor

Andrew, you recently enabled STEADY STROKE in the Retopo Room, would it be too much trouble to enable the Strokes tool to use the different SHAPE (including the LINE) and SPLINE selection draw modes in the E-panel? Basically lay down strokes along the selection shape? Would make the Strokes tool so much more efficient and powerful.

Would this also include rectangle, square, circle, ellipse and polygonal lasso e-panel modes? I would find those modes combined with Strokes very useful.

For instance, you want several loops forming a perfect circle? No problem, select Strokes tool, then the Circle e-panel mode. Drag several concentric circles and draw their spans. Press Enter - DONE.

Or even better (if Strokes tool could be enhanced a little bit). Draw those concentric circles and one span. Select number of segments and press Enter. The algorithm places the rest of the spans for you. :)

• Like 3

• Reputable Contributor

Would this also include rectangle, square, circle, ellipse and polygonal lasso e-panel modes? I would find those modes combined with Strokes very useful.

For instance, you want several loops forming a perfect circle? No problem, select Strokes tool, then the Circle e-panel mode. Drag several concentric circles and draw their spans. Press Enter - DONE.

Or even better (if Strokes tool could be enhanced a little bit). Draw those concentric circles and one span. Select number of segments and press Enter. The algorithm places the rest of the spans for you. :)

Yup. I asked Andrew earlier today. He said he'll look at it, and if it doesn't take too long to do, he'll try to do it. This could speed up retopo work a LOT.

• Like 4

- 3D-Printing function included in PRO version (edu does not include it because we want to make special cheap version specialized on 3D-printing). Look File->Export for 3D printer for details.
144430132554.jpg
- Import color wil import onto new layer instead of overwritung current. Operation is undoable.
- Retopo strokes mode supports Lasso, rectangle, ellipse, spline E-mode

144430143965.jpg
- Incorrect import/export vertex color with WRL fixed.
- Crash related to cavity calculation related to mirrored UV sets fixed.
- Correct preview image for PSD files. It means that packages that use preview image from PSD file instad of layers summ will correctly read PSD files from Coat. It s for example Unity and Blender.
- Fixed multiple problems related to paint/transform tool.
- Fixed pose undo problem that was able to make non-undoable mesh corruption.
- Eraser with CTRL in brush tool works correctly even if CTRL released earlier that LMB.
- Color picker works correctly over invisible layer
- Fixed problem of layer selection through opacity layer in pop-p windows
- Measure tool tweaked to be more convenient - fixed problem of line disappearing when other measure curve/point clicked.
- Left align for all list windows
- More/less button in materials control panel got logical description how it works. It is applicable for cubemapping as well.
- If two merged paint layers are using same blending mode, merge down will not drop blending to default one.

Last two weeks I paused refactoring and devoted completely to bugfixing and small tweaks.
This build expected to be stable, but your help with testing will be extremely helpful.
If nothing bad wil be fund there I will put this build to main downloads.

• Like 7

Thank you Andrew, Sergei, Vladimir and Raul for all the fixes! Nice work gents.

- 3D-Printing function included in PRO version (edu does not include it because we want to make special cheap version specialized on 3D-printing). Look File->Export for 3D printer for details.

144430132554.jpg

- Import color wil import onto new layer instead of overwritung current. Operation is undoable.

144430143965.jpg

- Incorrect import/export vertex color with WRL fixed.

- Crash related to cavity calculation related to mirrored UV sets fixed.

- Correct preview image for PSD files. It means that packages that use preview image from PSD file instad of layers summ will correctly read PSD files from Coat. It s for example Unity and Blender.

- Fixed multiple problems related to paint/transform tool.

- Fixed pose undo problem that was able to make non-undoable mesh corruption.

- Eraser with CTRL in brush tool works correctly even if CTRL released earlier that LMB.

- Color picker works correctly over invisible layer

- Fixed problem of layer selection through opacity layer in pop-p windows

- Measure tool tweaked to be more convenient - fixed problem of line disappearing when other measure curve/point clicked.

- Left align for all list windows

- More/less button in materials control panel got logical description how it works. It is applicable for cubemapping as well.

- If two merged paint layers are using same blending mode, merge down will not drop blending to default one.

Last two weeks I paused refactoring and devoted completely to bugfixing and small tweaks.

This build expected to be stable, but your help with testing will be extremely helpful.

If nothing bad wil be fund there I will put this build to main downloads.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Reputable Contributor

144430143965.jpg

Sweet Mother of Holiness. The support for those different draw modes using the Strokes tool is going to make life a lot easier, when doing Retopo work. Thank you. Thank you, and thank you..  :good:

• Like 1