3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Contributor
(...)

Or even better (if Strokes tool could be enhanced a little bit). Draw those concentric circles and one span. Select number of segments and press Enter. The algorithm places the rest of the spans for you. :)

Wow! This works now! :D

Andrew, great job with new modes for the Strokes tool. :good2:

Edited by ajz3d

Wow! This works now! :D

Andrew, great job with new modes for the Strokes tool. :good2:

Hey guys - I'm trying the new strokes tool and while it's drawing the shapes, I can't get the shapes to actually draw on the mesh.  Show it previews in green but never stays on the mesh as orange.

Am I just missing something?

• Contributor

You have to close them , meaning what you do with the strokes (lines that create a closed area) do the same with the rectangle.

Draw a rectangle , now choose lines and draw to create a closed area with this rectangle.

144435266155.jpg 

Edited by Michaelgdrs

Hmmm weird.  It's not that it won't convert to polygons, it just won't draw on the mesh.  Meaning when I try to draw a rectangle, I drag, it shows a green rectangle with the size in pixels, but when I let go of the mouse there's no rectangle drawn on the mesh.  Again I don't mean polygons.  There's no outline that sticks on the mesh at all.

I wish I could show you a picture, but there's really nothing to show.  I'll try a gif.

fjSeYFY.gif

Edited by arvinmoses

Yup won't work.  The simple draw spline works, just not any of the shapes.  I'll try this one at home and see if it works.

Current machine I'm on is running Win 7 with a radeon card.  I'll try it on win10 with gtx 980 and see if that solves the problem.  The difficult thing is I'm not sure how the tool is supposed to function, but I'm guessing I just draw on the mesh and it creates an orange outline on it right?  I don't need to hold a modifier key like ctrl, or shift, or right click or anything like that?

Actually I just figured it out!  It won't work on a polymesh.  It has to be a voxel object. 

I was wondering if you could help me with this though... when I import a poly as a voxel, it comes in incredibly small.  Is there a solution for this?

thank you so much for all the help.  It is very much appreciated!

:D

• Contributor

I was quite sure from the sharp modelling of your 3d object that it was a poly and not voxels.

Anyway , your problem is scale related , try the auto scale , or scale it properly from the software you use for modelling.

Tools "Vertex lasso and Stroke lasso" are behaving like a normal brush clamped mode "ctrl". Closed only after the re-selection points and welding. Tool "Stroke lasso" in general almost never get to do closed. So it should be?

fUopwLF.png

This is not a problem. Exactness of strokes angles in not important, more important in strikes intersection.

And - lasso in this case intended to create unlosed contours.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

In recent versions I have bad troubles with Zooming. Its actually a combination of behaviours I don't like.

1. Zoom often behaves sticky in a way that the function still gets executed when I let go RMB. Any further movement

of the Mouse/Pen still keeps zooming the camera and I have no idea how to "drop the tool". Pretty terrible.

2. Zooming no more wraps around at Top-Bottom Screen borders. As soon as the screen border is reached, the mouse

pointer sticks there and further dragging up or down doesn't do anything useful any more. I can only zoom with small

movements, by making sure not to touch the screen margins. Does anyone know a cure for these behaviours?

No hardware changes here.

I should add that I have inverted the Zoom direction, so that dragging upwards zooms in.

post-575-0-64945400-1444490259_thumb.jpg

Edited by polyxo

• Contributor

In recent versions I have bad troubles with Zooming. Its actually a combination of behaviours I don't like.

1. Zoom often behaves sticky in a way that the function still gets executed when I let go RMB. Any further movement

of the Mouse/Pen still keeps zooming the camera and I have no idea how to "drop the tool". Pretty terrible.

Is the zooming problem related to this perhaps? http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17076&p=126121 (see the second video).

Whenever you leave or get nearby to the border of the program window while mouse dragging, the stickiness appears (unless you click with a mouse inside the program window).

Edited by ajz3d

• Advanced Member

Is the zooming problem related to this perhaps? http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17076&p=126121 (see the second video).

I frankly would need a bit of narration in this video to identify the details. For navigation I don't use the Icons but rather

use the mouse but it seems that there's quite a bit of stuff to look into. I'm also pretty sure that with one of the 4.5 releases

the default Zoom direction got inverted. I didn't have to dial in -1 in earlier releases.

Hmmm weird.  It's not that it won't convert to polygons, it just won't draw on the mesh.  Meaning when I try to draw a rectangle, I drag, it shows a green rectangle with the size in pixels, but when I let go of the mouse there's no rectangle drawn on the mesh.  Again I don't mean polygons.  There's no outline that sticks on the mesh at all.

I wish I could show you a picture, but there's really nothing to show.  I'll try a gif.

fjSeYFY.gif

The Stroke Modes like that wont stick to the surface entirely if part of the curve, or one of the vertices, is "outside" of the mesh when you make the stroke.

• Contributor

Suddenly my 3D-Coat version (4.5.19) turned into a non-commercial version:

post-12523-0-10203600-1444693108_thumb.p

This happens every time I attempt to load a specific .3b file straight from the explorer. If I start 3D-Coat normally and load this scene with a File->Open command, the Pro license is preserved.

At least according to my observations.

Very strange.

Edited by ajz3d

ok, so I assume layer thickness is in mm (as it is used most of the times)? Also would be awesome to have an option to go with thicknes down to 10 microns - for the higher res printers (I usually print on my machine at 25 microns).

I've heard you're working on 3d printing version - can't wait to see what it will look like. Some options to generate supports for different printing methods (not only fdm) would be great.

edit: started playing with this feature and have to admit I'm slightly confused by the output - STL? What for? As it makes slices I expected SLC files or something similar.

edit: ok, definitely I need to RTFM - my assumptions about this "export to 3d printing" seem to be completely wrong ...

Edited by Przemas

• Advanced Member

ok, so I assume layer thickness is in mm (as it is used most of the times)? Also would be awesome to have an option to go with thicknes down to 10 microns - for the higher res printers (I usually print on my machine at 25 microns).

I've heard you're working on 3d printing version - can't wait to see what it will look like. Some options to generate supports for different printing methods (not only fdm) would be great.

edit: started playing with this feature and have to admit I'm slightly confused by the output - STL? What for? As it makes slices I expected SLC files or something similar.

edit: ok, definitely I need to RTFM - my assumptions about this "export to 3d printing" seem to be completely wrong ...

I was also wondering. I assume the export adjusts (decimates) the density of the mesh according to the resolution of the printer. It probably offsets the mesh to compensate for the wire diameter. 

• Reputable Contributor

ahm... Is it right? Since v4.5.18 the masks "tiling" are not working anymore? And switching mask visibility is impossible too.

Can someone confirm this please?

If this is a bug, I hope Andrew enables the option for turning Tiling off for Stencils (last time I used it, you could not) and enable the MORE option list to be used on them as well. There are many stencils I may want to use that don't have enough contrast or brightness, and having the MORE options exposed to them would help. I had to use a work-around to get them to work, previously, but this needs to get fixed.

• Like 1